PDA

View Full Version : What to replace Astra Convertible?

nicecar
19th December 2007, 08:26 PM
Hi Guys/Gals
Looking around but limited choice with my constraints:

1)Would like a convertible again

2)Would like a 4 seater (this really limits choice but 2 seats is no good)

3) Ideally no more than 2-3 years old

Twintop performance is too slow, would like at least same acceleration as TS 2.2 vert - why dont Oz release the Turbo one :(

New Eos is more than I want to spend - once I get leather (individual pack), drive away would be over $60K - a lot to spend on a car that will depreciate (unless wait for a second hand one)

What is left, few year old Saab convert?

Any ideas??

Red AH SRI T
19th December 2007, 08:28 PM
Find a few year old Saab 93 Aero Convertible

platypus
19th December 2007, 09:10 PM
damn beat me to it!

EL BURITO
19th December 2007, 10:31 PM
was thinking Focus but 0-100 is 10.3

MK
19th December 2007, 10:46 PM
Renault? Peugeot? VW New Beetle Convertible?

Calibrated
20th December 2007, 12:21 AM
SAAB Ftw.
or E46 BMW if you can find a neat one in your price range

oneightoo
20th December 2007, 07:22 AM
saab? ewww, astra beats it on looks hands down..

Red AH SRI T
20th December 2007, 07:39 AM
you think?

The SAAB just has a very classic shape that ages very well.

Wraith
20th December 2007, 10:21 AM
Hi Guys/Gals
Looking around but limited choice with my constraints:

1)Would like a convertible again

2)Would like a 4 seater (this really limits choice but 2 seats is no good)

3) Ideally no more than 2-3 years old

Twintop performance is too slow, would like at least same acceleration as TS 2.2 vert - why dont Oz release the Turbo one :(

New Eos is more than I want to spend - once I get leather (individual pack), drive away would be over $60K - a lot to spend on a car that will depreciate (unless wait for a second hand one)

What is left, few year old Saab convert?

Any ideas??

What Da :eek:

I thought you'd never sell your baby :(

Having said that, I'll never sell my TS turbo vert :)

As for yourself, how about replacing your 2.2 with a 2.0 turbo TS vert ???

BUT if it must be another convertible (I know how you feel, I too also want another one - have even contemplated another TS vert, I really like the red Linea Rossa examples) then wait for the turbo AH twin tops to arrive, I strongly believe Holden will bring in both the turbo petrol and turbo diesel ;)

Now I'll let you in on my personal favourite choice and I'm only a stones throw away from getting one myself - the new Peugot 207CC top spec with 1.6ltr petrol turbo BMW engine.... !!!

I absolutely love everything about this coupe/convertible, but you may not like the fact that it isn't a true 4 seater, for me this won't matter, because of all the other cars I also own :)

blueraven
20th December 2007, 10:34 AM
buy a twintop and give me a call... i will put a turbo on it for a moderate price ;) :D.

btm
20th December 2007, 02:32 PM
dont get a saab, shit IMO

entice
20th December 2007, 02:35 PM
late 60's early 70's Fiat or Alfa Spider...

Especially if you have anotehr car, either of tehse would be my choice of toy! (just so happens I have 2 of them! :) )

oneightoo
20th December 2007, 03:16 PM
you think?

The SAAB just has a very classic shape that ages very well.

yes, i do.. saab's are as ugly as a hat full..

dont get a saab, shit IMO

word son..

Calibrated
20th December 2007, 04:29 PM
Alfa Brera Vert :)

xplosv57
20th December 2007, 06:29 PM
or E46 BMW if you can find a neat one in your price range

x2

Can't go wrong with these things!!! PM any questions if you're interested!!!

nicecar
21st December 2007, 04:27 AM
What Da :eek:

I thought you'd never sell your baby :(

Having said that, I'll never sell my TS turbo vert :)

As for yourself, how about replacing your 2.2 with a 2.0 turbo TS vert ???

BUT if it must be another convertible (I know how you feel, I too also want another one - have even contemplated another TS vert, I really like the red Linea Rossa examples) then wait for the turbo AH twin tops to arrive, I strongly believe Holden will bring in both the turbo petrol and turbo diesel ;)

Now I'll let you in on my personal favourite choice and I'm only a stones throw away from getting one myself - the new Peugot 207CC top spec with 1.6ltr petrol turbo BMW engine.... !!!

I absolutely love everything about this coupe/convertible, but you may not like the fact that it isn't a true 4 seater, for me this won't matter, because of all the other cars I also own :)

Hi Wraith, Yes very reluctant to sell it, just feel that would like a change after 5 years of the same car, also as the abrasive mark on hood that is getting more noticeable every year. A turbo TS vert may be an option but rare as in WA... Will check out the 207CC.

Took out a saab vert last night. Nice drive but prefer manual and there is a bit of lag in the auto. Looks quite plain also - would be nice having colour coded trims on the side of the car of this cost and a bit of a body kit. Funny - when the sales guy priced up my TS vert he could not believe that it didn't have a body kit on it - I said the side skirts were stock on the TS vert.

I went to a BBQ tonight and a guy there had a TS convertible and said it was the defently the best 4 seater convertible for the money. Not sure how true but he was saying that his friend works for Holden and seen many Twin tops come in with roof damage as the roof sections are thin metal. He said closing the boot incorrectly or something slightly the wrong size in the boot is a damaged hood and cost $$$$ to repair..

EL BURITO
22nd December 2007, 12:12 PM
Did you see the pic on the front of the motor section of the West today

That A3 vert looks very sexy and it says it will be cheaper than the A4 vert witch is close to the price of the EOS, so maby worth hanging on a couple of months

http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/Audi/A3/Resize_of_AUDI_A3_Cabrio_v_750.jpg

Wraith
22nd December 2007, 01:47 PM
Hi Wraith, Yes very reluctant to sell it, just feel that would like a change after 5 years of the same car, also as the abrasive mark on hood that is getting more noticeable every year. A turbo TS vert may be an option but rare as in WA... Will check out the 207CC.

Took out a saab vert last night. Nice drive but prefer manual and there is a bit of lag in the auto. Looks quite plain also - would be nice having colour coded trims on the side of the car of this cost and a bit of a body kit. Funny - when the sales guy priced up my TS vert he could not believe that it didn't have a body kit on it - I said the side skirts were stock on the TS vert.

I went to a BBQ tonight and a guy there had a TS convertible and said it was the defently the best 4 seater convertible for the money. Not sure how true but he was saying that his friend works for Holden and seen many Twin tops come in with roof damage as the roof sections are thin metal. He said closing the boot incorrectly or something slightly the wrong size in the boot is a damaged hood and cost $$$$ to repair..

Interesting one with the twin tops, that's handy to know, it does sound plausible that you could damage the top sections by ways described above.....

As for the 207CC just be aware that it's really a 2+ seater, not a 4 seater, but definitely not a 2 seater only roadster either.

It has back seats, but the room in front of them is about half what we have in our TS verts, all depends what your requirements are, if you need space and 4 seats, then it won't appeal to you...the bigger 307CC will have that, but for me, I don't find it attractive at all, the smaller 207 in my eyes is a beaut little hardtop vert and IMHO more than reasonably priced for what you get :)

As for SAAB verts, I am another who dosn't like them, never have for that matter, their looks/styling is not to my taste and they are seriously no better than our TS verts ! In fact they share alot of the same components being under the GM umbrella, but as it happens for marks like VW and Audi, also sharing the same components, but the premium price tag going to the Audi bagde, so the same story with the SAAB vs the Opel....

I agree with the statement from the guy above, IMHO the TS vert was without a doubt, the best 'soft top' convertible for the money - hands down ! Especially the turbo model like mine, which was priced at only 2k more than the 2.2 models !

I still compare it these days to all other soft top convertibles in existence, and there's still none better for the money ;)

I mention soft top, because the new metal twin top Astra is similarily priced to what the TS was when new and does actually give you more car than the TS....

If you can wait, then I'd do so until the turbo AH twin tops arrive, I believe the extra performance these will have will make most interested people happy, compared to the 2.2 models.

The Audi A3 vert mentioned above might also be a goer, however the price will be interesting, if it's less than an A4 or Eos vert (Eos verts are priced between 49-53k before ORC's) it'll be worth looking at ;) however the A3 turbo hatches are priced at 50k up, so I doubt the vert will be less than that ??

dieselhead
25th December 2007, 11:17 PM
I read somewhere that the new A3 convertible with 1.8 T engine will sell for high $30k. Hope that's true, cause would be a helluva deal :) Not sure about how useful are the rear seats though. A3 is a small car after all...

EL BURITO
26th December 2007, 12:39 AM
I read somewhere that the new A3 convertible with 1.8 T engine will sell for high $30k. Hope that's true, cause would be a helluva deal :) Not sure about how useful are the rear seats though. A3 is a small car after all...
that dose sound like a rather good deal and would be nice if the normal 1.8T didn't cost

A3 1.8 TFSI Ambition S tronic $43,400

blueraven
26th December 2007, 10:50 AM
hmm... my money would be on a bmw 323 or 325i vert...surely one a few years old (3-5) would be in your price range, and they are damn nice.

rjastra
27th December 2007, 09:17 AM

LOL... as wraith said the A3 1.8T is a 40K+ car. I reckon the A3 Cabriolet will be priced to match the EOS (upto around 55-60K). A3 = softtop, EOS = hardtop.

EL BURITO
27th December 2007, 12:34 PM
LOL... as wraith said the A3 1.8T is a 40K+ car. I reckon the A3 Cabriolet will be priced to match the EOS (upto around 55-60K). A3 = softtop, EOS = hardtop.
the A4 vert is in that price band thou so should still be cheaper than the Eos

rjastra
27th December 2007, 01:16 PM
the A4 vert is in that price band thou so should still be cheaper than the Eos

I open the Audi.com.au site
Lookup A4 Cabriolet.

The CHEAPEST one is $75K. Hmmm, I reckon that's a tad more expensive than an EOS.

EL BURITO
27th December 2007, 01:36 PM
apologies i was going by what was in the artical in the west

EOS

Eos 2.0 TDI 6 Speed Manual $47,990.00
Eos 2.0 TDI 6 Speed DSG $50,290.00
Eos 2.0T FSI 6 Speed Manual $49,990.00
Eos 2.0T FSI 6 Speed DSG $52,290.00

Wraith
27th December 2007, 04:38 PM
I already put up the price spread of the Eos verts :)

The Eos is definitely a goer - ' if ' it's in your price range, it offers alot of car for the money !

What people may not know is it has a large area glass sunroof built into its metal hard top folding roof, so as well as a full folding hard top, you can enjoy it as a coupe with a large glass sunroof, as well as a convertible, great feature :)

VW did it right with this car, making them turbo powered models only, as they need to be with all that weight, VW Australia has done a good job of pricing them well (initial reports before release had them at 60-70k + ORC's) and bringing in both petrol and diesel variants.

It would be good to compare them to the AH turbo models, (if GMH ever bring em here) which should be priced a little lower than the Eos.

For those holding their breath for a Audi vert of any type in the 30k bracket - keep dreaming, verts of any type of brand/model, always cost more than the other variants of the same model, where is there anywhere an Audi A3 hatch or whatever in the 30k bracket ???

Another option may also be the new Focus hard top coupe/convertible, I can't comment on these, only seen pics, but they look alright, seem to be a similar size and price to the AH twin top and may come with a future option of that beaut Volvo 2.5ltr turbo :)

nicecar
20th January 2008, 09:24 PM
Quick update.. Still have the Astra vert, been looking and test driving but not convinced yet to switch, may wait for the right car to come up..

2 seaters:-
1998 Boxster - Nice lovely car - surprising lots of space as front and rear boot. The ones this age have lots of wear marks on the rear part of the hood (I thought my small little hood wear mark was bad!) Plastic rear window as well that isn't that good. Servicing may be very expensive. Lot of cash for 10 year old.

2004 Honda S2000 - very fast. - rear wheel drive- only disadvantage is the small storage area and the roof fabric is one layer so thin - not like the TS vert.

2007 MX5 Hard top - nice handling - rear wheel drive, hard top weights not much more that soft top - wow! storage area limited

4 seaters:-
2007 Twintop (with 18s and lowered) - slow

2005 Saab 9-3 Aero 2.0 turbo 188KW- great acceleration, not hooked on styling.

2007 EOS - the most expensive of the lot. The 2 VW dealers in WA say that there is no negotiations so full price to be paid and they have high delivery charges/extras so minimum cost for Eos 2.0T FSI 6 Speed Manual (RRP$49,990.00) is about $56K + stamp duty over $60K - this is without extra leather neither!

sooty
20th January 2008, 09:55 PM
2004 Honda S2000 - very fast. - rear wheel drive- only disadvantage is the small storage area and the roof fabric is one layer so thin - not like the TS vert.

Rev's out to 9000rpm doesn't it? how could you resist lol.
Who needs storage :D and as for the thin roof...the only thing it's gotta stop is rain, the rest of the time you'll have it down anyway...:)

entice
20th January 2008, 10:03 PM
I came close to buying a boxster, back in 1999. Trouble was, I drove it after driving my (modified) WRX. Other than a nice turn in cornering, there really wasnt much to it. I kept my WRX. (Also Drove an S4 the same year, now what a wonderful car apart from the lack of headroom due to a sunroof)

So I kept my Subie...But only for a few more months

Trouble is, I got to borrow a new MX5 (1999) for a week. By day 3, i had signed up for one of my own.... Such a shame to had the keys back to the dealer and have to wait for my own to be delivered!

If you dont need the space, and it's only for personal commuting, then hard to go by a late 90's early 00's MX5 for value for money....

Such a tactile car... ended up being my most favourite/joy to drive/ease of driving car ever.... and I've owned quite a few cars

dug74
20th January 2008, 10:51 PM
Always look for the rare turbo MX5 ...now thats a nice car...

Happy Motoring
duglet

Wraith
21st January 2008, 10:10 AM
Quick update.. Still have the Astra vert, been looking and test driving but not convinced yet to switch, may wait for the right car to come up..

2 seaters:-
1998 Boxster - Nice lovely car - surprising lots of space as front and rear boot. The ones this age have lots of wear marks on the rear part of the hood (I thought my small little hood wear mark was bad!) Plastic rear window as well that isn't that good. Servicing may be very expensive. Lot of cash for 10 year old.

2007 MX5 Hard top - nice handling - rear wheel drive, hard top weights not much more that soft top - wow! storage area limited

4 seaters:-
2007 Twintop (with 18s and lowered) - slow

2005 Saab 9-3 Aero 2.0 turbo 188KW- great acceleration, not hooked on styling.

2007 EOS - the most expensive of the lot. The 2 VW dealers in WA say that there is no negotiations so full price to be paid and they have high delivery charges/extras so minimum cost for Eos 2.0T FSI 6 Speed Manual (RRP$49,990.00) is about $56K + stamp duty over $60K - this is without extra leather neither!

Interesting reviews :)

So your considering S/H as well as new ?? IMHO new would be better for a vert....

As others have pointed out, probably the 2 most exciting/fun cars there would be the S2000 and MX5...both strictly 2 seaters though, as mentioned if space isn't a requirement, either one would be ideal :)

A brand spanking new MX5 would be hard to pass up :)

S/H 10 year old Boxster - IMO no thanks, I'd seriously rather my turbo TS !!! - I hate older soft tops with thin plastic 'paper' rear windows....

New Eos is pricey, but even for just over 60k, they offer alot of car and features...initially they were going to be priced at 60-70k before on roads or any added options, which would've put them in a similar price range to the SAAB verts, between the 2, IMO Eos is better and more affordable.

Keep us posted, most interested in what you end up getting :)

btm
21st January 2008, 10:24 AM
how much are you looking at for your astra vert? or are you trading in?

xplosv57
21st January 2008, 06:14 PM
I know i'm repeating myself here but something i still don't see on your list is a BMW 3 series E46 Convertible!!

If you're willing to pay 60k for a new 2.0 Eos or an old (and crappy) Boxster, i think a late E46 325Ci-330Ci is well in your budget and is a damn good car with a proper glass rear window and thick roof material that is very tough!!!

Wraith
22nd January 2008, 09:50 AM
I know i'm repeating myself here but something i still don't see on your list is a BMW 3 series E46 Convertible!!

If you're willing to pay 60k for a new 2.0 Eos or an old (and crappy) Boxster, i think a late E46 325Ci-330Ci is well in your budget and is a damn good car with a proper glass rear window and thick roof material that is very tough!!!

Not a bad option Steve, but you sure you can score a S/H E46 vert for 60k that's no more than a couple years old ?? you'd probably have to go to a 5-8 year old for that much, in which case I'd say no way - too old and no warranty if it's from a private sale !

IMHO if your going to spend 60k on a vert, buy brand new, that way you'll have the full factory warranty and also be able to add an extended warranty (which is not transferable to future owners) and peace of mind if anything should stuff up or need repairs with the convertible set up...

Also you'll find that the mechanism and fabric top used on our TS verts is of the same quality/type as used on both BMW's and SAAB's of similar production year - hence as previously mentioned, there's no better soft top out there for the money than a TS vert :)

xplosv57
22nd January 2008, 06:44 PM
In that price bracket, you'd be looking between 2000 to 2003 model E46, which is not too bad, most have done relatively low mileage and with a good dealer service history, you should have no issue, they really are a quality car!!

The Porsche Boxster would be the same age, if not older for that price bracket, so new car warranty is out of the question with those also!!!

Have also spotted a few 03' Z4's for under 60k, so there's another option if the 3 series is maybe too big!!!

But saw an Eos and Astra twin top today on the road, can't say im a fan of the VW, but the Twin top sure looks hot on the road (was black, looked awesome) but definetely needs a turbo!!

nicecar
23rd January 2008, 01:02 AM
Interesting reviews :)

So your considering S/H as well as new ?? IMHO new would be better for a vert....

As others have pointed out, probably the 2 most exciting/fun cars there would be the S2000 and MX5...both strictly 2 seaters though, as mentioned if space isn't a requirement, either one would be ideal :)

A brand spanking new MX5 would be hard to pass up :)

S/H 10 year old Boxster - IMO no thanks, I'd seriously rather my turbo TS !!! - I hate older soft tops with thin plastic 'paper' rear windows....

New Eos is pricey, but even for just over 60k, they offer alot of car and features...initially they were going to be priced at 60-70k before on roads or any added options, which would've put them in a similar price range to the SAAB verts, between the 2, IMO Eos is better and more affordable.

Keep us posted, most interested in what you end up getting :)

Hi Wraith, yep I am really thinking new or under year old. I had a problem with my hood few weeks ago, I think a sensor may have gone faulty (that knows when the latches are engaged at the front of the hood) and the latches made a large cracking noise. Car was at Holden for 3 days and new latches - $2600 later, all fixed. They have complex mechanisms so there is lots to go wrong (especially on older ones).

how much are you looking at for your astra vert? or are you trading in?
Good question, the Saab garage said they would give me $17500 for it (the sales guy must have been planning a nice holiday with the profit he will make!) and another garage said 20K. The cheapest I have seen a Astra Vert in WA is 23K with 100,000km and mine only has 75,000. May even think of putting a sign in the back and advertising at 22K for a few weeks and see if I get any interest.

Not a bad option Steve, but you sure you can score a S/H E46 vert for 60k that's no more than a couple years old ?? you'd probably have to go to a 5-8 year old for that much, in which case I'd say no way - too old and no warranty if it's from a private sale !

IMHO if your going to spend 60k on a vert, buy brand new, that way you'll have the full factory warranty and also be able to add an extended warranty (which is not transferable to future owners) and peace of mind if anything should stuff up or need repairs with the convertible set up...

Also you'll find that the mechanism and fabric top used on our TS verts is of the same quality/type as used on both BMW's and SAAB's of similar production year - hence as previously mentioned, there's no better soft top out there for the money than a TS vert :)

yep - I keep checking carsales/drive daily.
Things have changed so much in WA - due to the boom, when I brought my Astra 5 years ago, 2 holden garages gave me the vert for the weekend, they said take your time, take it down south, enjoy. This time some garages take you for a 2 minute drive around the block and then want you to sign!!! Some garages prices are so over inflated as well, so funny while looking I saw a Lancer (same as the misses) that was almost the same price as a new one but was 3 years old!!!

Wraith
23rd January 2008, 12:25 PM
In that price bracket, you'd be looking between 2000 to 2003 model E46, which is not too bad, most have done relatively low mileage and with a good dealer service history, you should have no issue, they really are a quality car!!

The Porsche Boxster would be the same age, if not older for that price bracket, so new car warranty is out of the question with those also!!!

Have also spotted a few 03' Z4's for under 60k, so there's another option if the 3 series is maybe too big!!!

But saw an Eos and Astra twin top today on the road, can't say im a fan of the VW, but the Twin top sure looks hot on the road (was black, looked awesome) but definetely needs a turbo!!

Thought so Steve and I still maintain IMHO it wouldn't be a good decision to buy a 5-8 year old car instead of brand new or near new when spending that kind of money...but each to their own :)

8 year old Porsche boxster, agree - toss it out the window !!!

A 5 year old Z4, same as for other BM's above and you have to like the look of em...

Agree about the twin top - IMHO easily the best looking of the hard top verts in its class ATM and IMHO the best looking AH to boot, problem is as you've stated we don't have the upper end turbo models here, so for me that's where the Eos is in front...

Wraith
23rd January 2008, 12:36 PM
Hi Wraith, yep I am really thinking new or under year old. I had a problem with my hood few weeks ago, I think a sensor may have gone faulty (that knows when the latches are engaged at the front of the hood) and the latches made a large cracking noise. Car was at Holden for 3 days and new latches - $2600 later, all fixed. They have complex mechanisms so there is lots to go wrong (especially on older ones).

yep - I keep checking carsales/drive daily.
Things have changed so much in WA - due to the boom, when I brought my Astra 5 years ago, 2 holden garages gave me the vert for the weekend, they said take your time, take it down south, enjoy. This time some garages take you for a 2 minute drive around the block and then want you to sign!!! Some garages prices are so over inflated as well, so funny while looking I saw a Lancer (same as the misses) that was almost the same price as a new one but was 3 years old!!!

Yeh, couldn't agree more when it comes to buying a vert - because of their complexity, either brand new or near new, I wouldn't want one that's more than 2 years old, unless I personally knew the previous owners and know for a fact that the conv. top was only very rarely used...either that or if purchsed S/H from a dealer, I'd want a minimum 3 year warranty on the top.

May I ask, was your top fixed under warranty or has it expired - 2.6k OUCH :(

As for dealerships, what you've described above happens here too, you get some that'll give you all the time in the World and others that just wanna sign you up on the spot :mad: just go to the next, until you find one that looks after you the way you want :)

nicecar
23rd January 2008, 08:22 PM
May I ask, was your top fixed under warranty or has it expired - 2.6k OUCH :(

Yep, out of warranty - still hurts! :(

Wraith
24th January 2008, 09:42 AM
Damn, sorry to hear that - at least the new owner will have something to smile about :)

I hear that to replace the 'whole' top on one of our TS verts typically costs around 7k....

nicecar
26th January 2008, 03:38 AM
I hear that to replace the 'whole' top on one of our TS verts typically costs around 7k....

Wow! I wonder how long a hood will last if used quite often? A few of the Boxster hoods I saw were in a state (and these cars were $40-$60K!
Suppose would be rare if not showing wearing signs after 8-10 years..

Wraith
26th January 2008, 12:23 PM
Wow! I wonder how long a hood will last if used quite often? A few of the Boxster hoods I saw were in a state (and these cars were $40-$60K!
Suppose would be rare if not showing wearing signs after 8-10 years..

Their life expectancy and cyclic rate is very high (at least 10 years) under 'normal' conditions, but of course this will vary from car to car, as they will all be used, treated and cared for differently...

Can't go wrong with new and a warranty though and I'd opt for the additional warranty package for the roof on a vert - 6 years should do it until your next purchase, then you could go ahead and use it as much as you like :)

As for the Boxster tops you described, I see alot of that on all types of soft tops, unfortunately it is fabric, as good as it is, at the end of the day, it won't age and wear as well as painted metal (that's why I really, really look after mine) - that'll be one advantage you'll have with your new vert, if you buy a 'tin top' rather than another 'rag top'...it won't have the allure and sexy look of the fabric, but it should make for a better (as in longevity, weather and noise control), safer and more practical everyday car :)

imay
26th January 2008, 02:20 PM
Can't go wrong with new and a warranty though and I'd opt for the additional warranty package for the roof on a vert - 6 years should do it until your next purchase

That is assuming, of course, that the extended warranty is actually going to cover the roof and mechanism as well. I was offered a "you get your new convertible serviced by us and we will extend the MECHANICAL warranty for 3 years, as long as you continue your servicing EXCLUSIVELY by us." Looked into it and it was to cover the engine/trans/drivetrain only for the second 3 years . . . IF I was to be prepared to tolerate their outrageous charges, lies and lack of knowledge when servicing my pride and joy.

Nup! Look after it yourself. I keep the fabric cleaned with water only and a soft brush (never lower it when it is the slightest bit damp); keep the hyrdraulic rams, hinges and clamps lightly greased, and check the lines and fluid levels every time I wash it . . . and keep my fingers crossed really tightly!

By the way . . . still love the VW Eos! They got the roof right. Love the idea of a sunroof when it's up.

Wraith
27th January 2008, 04:02 PM
Totally agree regarding the Eos roof, it's a work of art with that large area inbuilt sunroof :)

The way you look after your top is similar to what I do :) I also like to keep it covered whenever not in use so that dirt/dust/debris dosn't build up in the fabric :)