PDA

View Full Version : check engine light showing

wishbone
17th December 2007, 09:35 PM
hey guys,

just come back from overseas and only to notice that i have a check engine light on now.
i went to the dealers to get it checked out and they said that its the throttle body and i decided to go the cheaper way and just get it resetted for 105 dollars.
i also got my climate control fixed for the fourth time, with a "Pr" showing where the temperature should be (so instead of 21 degrees, it shows "Pr")

anyway. i got that fixed as well. and i notice this morning that my demister and air con are switched the otherway? so i will need to go back and get this seen again. just as i hit the demister button my check engine light (which was resetted) when on again.

now, before i spend 800-900 bucks on a new throttle body on a car which i am selling in the next 2 months...

i have a few questions.
1) could this check engine light be due to the "inspection light" (i got it serviced at ultratune this time around and they didn't reset the service light).
2) could it be just the aircon now?
and 3) any other ideas? or will i have to fork out this 900 dollars that i dont have after xmas shopping and after my holiday?

thanks in advance

platypus
17th December 2007, 09:43 PM
could be a dirty throttle body...

i was unaware that the throttle body had a sensor? only a position sensor - and without that the car won't run - not even a limp home mode...
...oh wait you have an 04... that has a fly by wire setup yeah?

wishbone
17th December 2007, 10:55 PM
yes, it does have a fly by wire set up.
my car still runs?

USC
17th December 2007, 11:12 PM
sounds like ur electrics is stuffed up...dont service ur car at ultra tune...they dont have the proper equipment...they claim to be good but they really suck...they buggered my gf`s car a few times...and a lot of people at my work has complained about them...do u have an AH??

have they checked ur temperature sensor..the round ball on the dash?

shouldnt the throttle body be changed under warranty?if not, get a second hand one from bennett wreckers.

wishbone
18th December 2007, 08:05 AM
nah. i have a g. the timing belt was changed at the 60k one. i live in victoria.
my temp sensor as far as i remember has been changed due to my problems with my climate control

USC
18th December 2007, 02:01 PM
nah. i have a g. the timing belt was changed at the 60k one. i live in victoria.
my temp sensor as far as i remember has been changed due to my problems with my climate control

get the code checked again and if it is the throttle body, they should replace it under warranty...if ur car has done under 100,000kms...is it a 2005 model??....the G classis

wishbone
19th December 2007, 12:48 PM
yeah, its a 2004 model and the warranty ended in may, its 60k service was 2 months ago, just before this problem started?
i'm going to check the throttle body sensor today and hopefully give it a clean or see what i can do.

CNBLU
19th December 2007, 12:59 PM
INSP light is there cause its a reminder for your service. most mechanics forget to reset it. this would not cause your engine light to come on.

wishbone
19th December 2007, 06:29 PM
hi again,
i've checked inside the throttle body and it was filed with carbon. i've just cleaned it up, and the engine light is not on anymore.

thanks for the advice. i am very greatful i have saved 900 bucks. for something i could have done by myself.

platypus
19th December 2007, 09:11 PM
dealer servicing.... why clean when you can replace it?

Shaun
19th December 2007, 09:48 PM
Engine light coming on means a fault has been logged. Take it to a Holden Dealership and have them plug Tech 2 in and see what the stored fault code is .

wishbone
19th December 2007, 10:22 PM
yeah, thats what i did, they said the fault came from the throttle body.
just as platypus said, why clean it when you can replace it?

they might have just cleaned it instead of replace it anyway. and charged me 900 bucks for it aswell

im happy that i did this myself. wish i had a tech 2. wonder how much they cost :P