PDA

View Full Version : Red book value SRiT

caspers turbo
15th December 2007, 12:45 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows the actual redbook value for a second hand SRiT with average k's, 60-80 thou, just concerned about the devalueing of our SRiT's, due to people selling them at what i would perceive to be cheap prices, IE: $20-23thousand, i believe there were only 500 SRiT'S imported into aus, would that not mean they are rare & should be priced accordingly, not to metion germen enginneerd

caspers turbo
15th December 2007, 12:52 PM
ok just answered my own question, details taken from redbook.com.au, Prices based on km60,000 - 100,000 Trade in price guide*$15,700 - $17,600National average price - private sale*$19,400 - $21,700Price when new (RRP)$36,990all prices quoted are GST inclusive

Now i know these are 4 year old cars now but i would still be pissed if a dealer offered me 15thou trade in, what is also worrying is the insurance value, if car was written off u would probably be lucky to get 20 thou from the insurance company, what decent car can you get for that???, what's a new SRiT/VXR worth??, anyway enough of my rant what do you guys reakon??

CNBLU
15th December 2007, 01:33 PM
the answer is simple.... buy a house if your worried about losing money because the fact of the matter is YOU WILL ALWAYS LOSE MONEY ON CARS.:cool:

sorry to be a downer but no matter what model what year you will lose money, granted some less than others and forget it if you buy brand new as you lose 5k straight after driving away....

Geebs
15th December 2007, 03:18 PM
what is also worrying is the insurance value, if car was written off u would probably be lucky to get 20 thou from the insurance company, what decent car can you get for that

Another SRI-T??

SIMid
15th December 2007, 03:19 PM
the answer is simple.... buy a house if your worried about losing money because the fact of the matter is YOU WILL ALWAYS LOSE MONEY ON CARS.:cool: ....

Unless it's a classic which is appreciating in value. But it'll cost money to maintain.

CNBLU
15th December 2007, 03:50 PM
sorry forgot to mention gt ho ph3...:rolleyes: besides that i meant:p

caspers turbo
15th December 2007, 06:13 PM
yeah the HO would have been a good investment 4 grand brand new back in the day, 500 grand nowadays, bet theres a few people kicking them selves for up grading that to plastic. I realise that cars depreciate, it's just i would have thought being so few imported they would have held their price better, i mean we're not talking about a commodore here, the SRiT is a seriously well built car what with all the gizmo's & very reliable too, it just seems that people are too keen to sell their cars & aren't looking for top dollar, lets face it the redbook price is based on an average price for private sales, so to my way of thinking if people didn't sell em so cheap they would be worth more today, & hey if u sell it for 28thou some one who really wants it will buy it, i know when i test drove mine it took me 5 mins to decide it was mine & i didn't care too much on the dollars (i'm not rich by the way).

It's just such a stealth car, nobody really knows much about the SRiT, unless they buy one or know someone who has one, none of my mates knew OPEL or turbos in the form of an Astra, & anyone who has rebadged back to OPEL will agree with me the confused looks (from peeps looking at flash trying to figure it out) u get when driving puts a smile on your dial everytime, then u hit boost n really confuse em. thats my 5 cents worth

Charlatan
15th December 2007, 10:25 PM
Buyers determine the price mate, not sellers. Doesnt matter if there were only 500 imported, noone really wants them compared to 200sx' or WRX' both of which can be had for around the same price.

daiflu
16th December 2007, 09:06 PM
I have always been a little sceptical of the prices on Redbook. They always seem on the low side for any make and model.
I'm not certain where they get their figures from, but if it comes from change of ownership papers, then this may explain it. Because alot of people state the sale price much lower than it actually was, (to decrease the stamp duty paid by the buyer) this would make the average sale value alot less than it actually is.
-Just my theory anyway.

rjastra
17th December 2007, 10:09 AM
I have always been a little sceptical of the prices on Redbook. They always seem on the low side for any make and model.

In your opinion... What do you base your valuations on then?

blueraven
17th December 2007, 12:30 PM
my car was/is insured for 29k :) no problemo.

(which means i would be better off running it into a telephone pole then trying to sell it :D :P)

edit: that was only a joke, no more pms about which bits you want if i do smash it, nor requests for me to make sure i take out the rear end to preserve the engine :P.

Wraith
18th December 2007, 11:41 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows the actual redbook value for a second hand SRiT with average k's, 60-80 thou, just concerned about the devalueing of our SRiT's, due to people selling them at what i would perceive to be cheap prices, IE: $20-23thousand, i believe there were only 500 SRiT'S imported into aus, would that not mean they are rare & should be priced accordingly, not to metion germen enginneerd

Welcome to the World of the 'average car' !!!

No such thing as any average car 'holding it's value' limited numbers or not, German built or not !

As already mentioned, if your worried about falling car values, don't buy a car - simple, I thought this was common knowledge ;)

Sure some cars will hold their resale value better than others, but they too eventually end up being worth very little.

Then there are the freaks (old Aussie muscle cars) which have only recently become better investments than houses LOL, but who would've ever picked it 3 or 4 decades ago, when they were first sold.... :)

However I don't think this will happen to any Astra :)

JohnBu
18th December 2007, 04:27 PM
yeah it's sad, but the depreciation is in line with other cars,

obviously, if you bought a stock std astra or any other small car, the resale value will be much higher..

RX8s and other sport cars, hell even mercs and BMW suffer from the same thing- called depreciation..some even worst..

saabs, falcons, commodores, HSVs, etc are alot worst than ours..

and don't forget, that newer cars are better specced and cheaper than yesteryear.. the new astra turbo is rrp @ $35k, drive away for less than that, and hence this reduces the older model's value further..

but boy o boy, the Golf GTi owners are asking unrealistic sums for their 2nd hand cars.. and the ads are on there for ages..

so, if you're worried about depreciation, buy a small base jap model car = good resale, i.e. corolla or madza 3.

poita
18th December 2007, 04:29 PM
the reason y we bought a mazda 6
they wanted 27k for a 3yr old one with low k's
we bought a brand new one, with extras for 32k

JohnBu
18th December 2007, 04:32 PM
oh yeah,

you'll find that as cars get 3-4 years old after being released, the get cheap as by then leases run out and many owners want a quick sale as they've ordered a new car....

but good time to buy... IMO you get a great deal with an 2003 astra turbo

back in 2005 i bought my (at the time) 20 month old 03 turbo with 32k on the clock for $24,250..

i've now done 105k and would be happy to get $17k for it... but know that it's optimistic, so i'm keeping it as its running better than ever... the longer you keep it, the less you'll lose

even WRXs which has one of the best resale going round are losing vale quick (due to cars getting better value).. i.e. 2003 wrx are advertised at low 20s... and of course the sri-t being cheaper when new will be priced lower than the wrx which has a greater following.

Wraith
18th December 2007, 04:38 PM
the reason y we bought a mazda 6
they wanted 27k for a 3yr old one with low k's
we bought a brand new one, with extras for 32k

Definitely the way to go for any car....... ;)

ie: if you can get one for not much more than a relatively new S/H one, do so :)

On the other hand if you can get a relatively new S/H for much less than new, go that way - this is the case for all Holdens, Fords etc. if you want a bargain look for a 6-18 month old example, as these will typically drop 25% in value as soon as they're driven off the showroom floor and up to more than 50% within 3 years !

poita
18th December 2007, 04:41 PM
yer was lookin at a VZ, VE wasnt out yet.
and for wat we got in the mazda there was no way we could get it in a commy for teh same $
the only two above our model are the sports version with leather and the MPS6.
couldnt be happier with it :)

EL BURITO
18th December 2007, 08:48 PM
my car was/is insured for 29k :) no problemo.

(which means i would be better off running it into a telephone pole then trying to sell it :D :P)

edit: that was only a joke, no more pms about which bits you want if i do smash it, nor requests for me to make sure i take out the rear end to preserve the engine :P.

just to make sure u all know i have 1st dibs on the engine any way

but that is kinda position i am in :(

wish it was written off in the crash on sat :(

blueraven
19th December 2007, 12:32 AM
you had a crash on sat?!?!?!?

EL BURITO
19th December 2007, 01:42 AM
you had a crash on sat?!?!?!?
yer, got hit, was reversed into. car still usable going to be mid Jan before i can book it in to be fixed

Wraith
19th December 2007, 09:28 AM
just to make sure u all know i have 1st dibs on the engine any way

but that is kinda position i am in :(

wish it was written off in the crash on sat :(

Gee wiz, be careful what you wish for.......

No one wants to be involved in a write off, it's usually a nasty result for the occupants ! :(

blueraven
19th December 2007, 10:36 AM
damn.. i guess that means your interest in my car is either at an all time low.... or an all time high :(

EL BURITO
19th December 2007, 02:14 PM
Gee wiz, be careful what you wish for.......

No one wants to be involved in a write off, it's usually a nasty result for the occupants ! :(
of that i am awaire its just a pain trying to sort out getting it all fixed

my car was hit at about 15kph and i was not in it.