PDA

View Full Version : D.O.D on its way for V8's

Wraith
14th December 2007, 09:12 AM
According to an article in this weeks Herald Sun cars guide, V8's are selling at an all time record high in Australia :) even higher than the previous best selling time of between 2001-2003, sales this year have doubled compared with last year :)

Who says V8's are history ;)

Because of this GMH has decided to definitely bring in the Displacement On Demand (D.O.D) for our V8's sometime by late next year, despite this technology already being around for 10 years....this is great news for V8 lovers, all that power and torque with combined consumption figures similar to a much smaller engine :)

I'm sure it'll work well even with forced induction set-ups :D

Long live the mighty V8 :)

btm
14th December 2007, 09:19 AM
the V8 will never die on Oz whilst Ford and Holden are here constantly competing with each other

Wraith
14th December 2007, 09:36 AM
the V8 will never die on Oz whilst Ford and Holden are here constantly competing with each other

Not just here in Aust. it's as popular as ever in the U.S. and still selling like hot cakes in the Middle East - then again they don't have any issues with fuel supply :D

Europe also has more and more V8 powered cars with each passing year !

It's my fav. engine type, always has been, always will be, it's great to see it doing so well :)

btm
14th December 2007, 11:18 AM
It's my fav. engine type, always has been, always will be
ditto!

Wraith
14th December 2007, 12:43 PM
I didn't realise you were a V8 man BTM..... :)

I hope GMH put a V8 in the new Torana - have you seen the latest on current Wheels mag, I hope they do build it....if they build something like that pic, I'm buying :)

Good as a V6 TT will be, it deserves a V8 in the SL/R model :)

My 1st car 23 years ago was a Torana, followed by 3 more - would love to own a modern day example :)

oneightoo
14th December 2007, 12:46 PM
my dads first car was an LJ GTR XU1..

he had it for 20 years..

i miss it :(

btm
14th December 2007, 01:48 PM
very much the V8 man wraith

Wraith
14th December 2007, 01:52 PM
my dads first car was an LJ GTR XU1..

he had it for 20 years..

i miss it :(

I had an LC GTR XU1 although by the end of my mucking about with it, the only original thing left was the body shell....... :o

I miss this car too - more than any other I've ever owned, I wish I never sold it :(

Wraith
14th December 2007, 01:54 PM
very much the V8 man wraith

Well that makes a few of us, I know KidSri and Xplosiv love their V8's too :)

oneightoo
14th December 2007, 02:33 PM
I had an LC GTR XU1 although by the end of my mucking about with it, the only original thing left was the body shell....... :o

I miss this car too - more than any other I've ever owned, I wish I never sold it :(

this was dads daily driver.. he and his brothers worked on their kingswoods..

Wraith
14th December 2007, 04:03 PM
this was dads daily driver.. he and his brothers worked on their kingswoods..

Mine was my daily driver too, for the first 3 years that I owned it (1985-88) - it was never a straight 6 though, it was V8 engineered and registered and fitted with a 350 chev, 4sp top loader and 9" diff :D It was so powerful and pulled so hard, it broke my drivers seat twice, sending me flying arse over head into the back seat of the car :o LOL :D luckily I didn't wipe myself off !!

The next 3 years after that, I transformed it into a 9sec 1/4 mile track weapon, no longer able to be driven on the road....

KID_SRi
14th December 2007, 05:23 PM

Damn Straight :)
Nothing Beats the Sound of a Big Block with a GM 6/71 force feeding it.

xplosv57
14th December 2007, 06:45 PM

What's a V8???? LOL!!!

Yep as much as an SRi-T would be a much much smarter car for me to have (and possibly faster with the right work), the V8 wins hands down for noise and torque!!!!
]When you punch it at 60-70km/h and it lights up tyres in the dry, bad for tyres, but gee it's fun!!!!

As for DoD, i hope that Holden's one is better than the crock they have in the Hemis (Jeep and Chrysler), fuel consumption figures on tests showed pretty much no difference and i'd really want all 8 cylinders there, not having to wait for 4 to come along for the party!!!!

Wish i was around in the 70's, when V8's and rotaries were the biggest things around and there were all these stupid restrictions on this and that!!!

Dunno which engine i would've chosen though!!

KID_SRi
14th December 2007, 06:57 PM
Wish i was around in the 70's, when V8's and rotaries were the biggest things around and there weren't all these stupid restrictions on this and that!!!

Oh Yeah *Glenn dreams*
I could see me now in a Phase III with my Huge Sideburns & Bell Bottoms cruising around listening to Jimi Hendrix on 8 Track. Frying Good Year Aquajets like they were never going to be extinct, Eatting 50 cent Big Macs & washing it all down with a Coke in Glass bottle that Ya have to open using the Door Striker.

F*ck Yeah :D

xplosv57
14th December 2007, 07:02 PM
Oh Yeah *Glenn dreams*
I could see me now in a Phase III with my Huge Sideburns & Bell Bottoms cruising around listening to Jimi Hendrix on 8 Track. Frying Good Year Aquajets like they were never going to be extinct, Eatting 50 cent Big Macs & washing it all down with a Coke in Glass bottle that Ya have to open using the Door Striker.

F*ck Yeah :D

You forgot also the part of the 70's which all current V8 owners miss now................CHEAP FUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

poita
14th December 2007, 07:09 PM
so what exactly is this D.O.D. ange?
pls explain ;)

xplosv57
14th December 2007, 07:15 PM
Basically what it does is, it cuts out 4 cylinders (1 bank) when the car is in a cruise mode (eg. on a freeway) so it uses much less fuel!!

My V8 is great on fuel on the freeway, the problem lies in stop/start traffic, DoD would only be useful for a small percentage of people as most commuters either drive short distances or drive in peak hour, where the DoD wouldn't be active!!

poita
14th December 2007, 07:18 PM
so does this one bank not spin at all?
or is it still moving, just not gettin fuel into it?

xplosv57
14th December 2007, 07:30 PM
I believe it shuts off exhaust then intake valve ports in sequence, holding the exhaust gases to compress the piston for the power stroke without using fuel!!

Maybe a search on the net will clear that up!!!!

poita
14th December 2007, 07:45 PM
yer u are right, good old wikipedia :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Fuel_Management

but wat i dont get right, if its shuttin down half the cylinders
they are still moving as the motor is still going.
wont this create problems as the top end is not gettin lubed as tehre is no fuel in there?
have i missed or misunderstood soemthing here?

xplosv57
15th December 2007, 10:13 AM
Well i just read that link, it says they use a certain viscocity engine oil, im guessing would be thicker so it stays in the bore for longer, but yes i can also see a problem there!!!

Hence why i'm not such a big fan of this technology, i can see it failing over time and causing some major damage, especially if the servicing dealer uses the incorrect oil (which is more than likely)!!

poita
15th December 2007, 07:10 PM
yes its a big concern i beleive!
yer its great now, but in 100,000k's how great of a condition is the motor going to be in? no-one knows, my same argument for ethanol blends (which we dont need to go into here :p)

rjastra
16th December 2007, 09:18 AM
yer u are right, good old wikipedia :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Fuel_Management

but wat i dont get right, if its shuttin down half the cylinders
they are still moving as the motor is still going.
wont this create problems as the top end is not gettin lubed as tehre is no fuel in there?
have i missed or misunderstood soemthing here?

Since when is petrol considered a lubricant?? Thats what oil is for.

Wraith
18th December 2007, 11:59 AM
I don't think it'll cause long term problems guys :)

This technology/system has already been in use for around 10 years, had it showed longevity probs, it would've been abandoned long ago ;)

I also thought it woked by shutting down half the engines cylinders in a symetrical manner, ie: turning a V8 into a V4, or 2 cylinders in either bank, not shutting down one whole bank.....

The way I understand it, is it simply stops feeding fuel and stops ignition to those cylinders which are de-activated, all the reciprocating assembly still operates as standard, just that those cylinders in question are simply taking in and exhausting air only with no fuel or spark - hence the fuel burn is effectivey halved.

It's built into the ecu's software and will only do this in certain driving conditions, ie: when cruising constantly and 'unloaded' at a given speed - probably tied into the cruise control system of the car :)

rjastra
18th December 2007, 01:53 PM
I don't think it'll cause long term problems guys :)

This technology/system has already been in use for around 10 years, had it showed longevity probs, it would've been abandoned long ago ;)

I also thought it woked by shutting down half the engines cylinders in a symetrical manner, ie: turning a V8 into a V4, or 2 cylinders in either bank, not shutting down one whole bank.....

The way I understand it, is it simply stops feeding fuel and stops ignition to those cylinders which are de-activated, all the reciprocating assembly still operates as standard, just that those cylinders in question are simply taking in and exhausting air only with no fuel or spark - hence the fuel burn is effectivey halved.

It's built into the ecu's software and will only do this in certain driving conditions, ie: when cruising constantly and 'unloaded' at a given speed - probably tied into the cruise control system of the car :)

Cadillac had similar system more than 20yrs ago!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_V8_engine#368_and_V8-6-4

Deactivation involves disabling of the affected cylinders' inlet/exhaust valves.

Honda has a similar system on the latest 3.5L V6. It can run as V6, V4 or I3 configurations

Wraith
18th December 2007, 03:52 PM
Cadillac had similar system more than 20yrs ago!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_V8_engine#368_and_V8-6-4

Deactivation involves disabling of the affected cylinders' inlet/exhaust valves.

Honda has a similar system on the latest 3.5L V6. It can run as V6, V4 or I3 configurations

Awesome stuff :)

There you go - seems like it's a good thing afterall, look forward to it's implementation here on Aussie V8's, I think it's definitely a step in the right direction for these engines :)

I'll have to look into how exactly the inlet/exhaust valves are de-activated on your traditional V8 with a single central cam set up :confused: I did read it was a matter of a 'software only' upgrade to the V8 ??? I don't know how you'd get the valve train to stop working on certain cylinders only on a traditional V8, that's why I assumed it'd be fuel and spark cut-off only ???

rjastra
18th December 2007, 10:16 PM
Awesome stuff :)

There you go - seems like it's a good thing afterall, look forward to it's implementation here on Aussie V8's, I think it's definitely a step in the right direction for these engines :)

I'll have to look into how exactly the inlet/exhaust valves are de-activated on your traditional V8 with a single central cam set up :confused: I did read it was a matter of a 'software only' upgrade to the V8 ??? I don't know how you'd get the valve train to stop working on certain cylinders only on a traditional V8, that's why I assumed it'd be fuel and spark cut-off only ???

It could be done via the hydraulic tappets.

Wraith
19th December 2007, 09:36 AM
It could be done via the hydraulic tappets.

Shutting off the oil supply to the hydraulic lifters would work, but damn that sounds like a complicated thing to build into the engine and would cause 'tappetting' ???

When I get some spare time, I'll have to read up on this topic, I'm very curious now as to what method they've adopted to cease valve operation on a traditional V8 - ie: not a more modern overhead cam design V8....

I re-checked last weeks Herald Sun cars guide article and it does mention that Holden only need to introduce a software upgrade to their current V8 engines to incorporate DOD, so this definitely 'does not' shut off any valves ??

rjastra
19th December 2007, 01:02 PM
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/accessories_electronics/0405sc_gmdod/index.html

Wraith
19th December 2007, 01:29 PM
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/accessories_electronics/0405sc_gmdod/index.html

Interesting read RJ, thanks for that :) damn white writing on burgandy background, made my eyes go nuts LOL :D

It answers and explains my question, I knew there had to be some very complicated internal lifter mods and oil feed mods for that to work ;)

But this is an entirely new engine (LH6).....

I wonder what GMH are on about when they say that they will introduce DOD on the current crop of V8's with a software update only, maybe the article in the cars guide got it wrong ???

rjastra
19th December 2007, 03:50 PM
Interesting read RJ, thanks for that :) damn white writing on burgandy background, made my eyes go nuts LOL :D

It answers and explains my question, I knew there had to be some very complicated internal lifter mods and oil feed mods for that to work ;)

But this is an entirely new engine (LH6).....

I wonder what GMH are on about when they say that they will introduce DOD on the current crop of V8's with a software update only, maybe the article in the cars guide got it wrong ???

Its a reasonably old article. The new 6L installed for the G8 is DOD compliant. The version "we" use in the VE Commodore is not. Funnily enough the 6L used in the VZ was DOD compliant. Weird by true

Wraith
19th December 2007, 05:16 PM
Its a reasonably old article. The new 6L installed for the G8 is DOD compliant. The version "we" use in the VE Commodore is not. Funnily enough the 6L used in the VZ was DOD compliant. Weird by true

That is weird, they probably just let it go instead of putting some effort into introducing it because of V8 sales being at an all time high anyway......typical Holden :rolleyes:

Look forward to this new LH6, 5.3ltr V8 with similar power/torque to the 6.0ltr LS2 V8 with DOD built in - sounds like a winner :)

I wonder though, if GM will incorporate DOD in the new upcoming force fed LS9 for the new Corvette - that would be something...

KID_SRi
21st December 2007, 07:16 PM
We had a Crazy VS Maloo come in to work this arvo, he came in to pick up a 9" Full Spool. 383 Stroker on Nitrous & heres the Kicker, It had a underbonnet Top Mount Supercharger. He said its Good for 600hp @ The Wheels & Can blow a new set of tyres off the rims in under a Minute. He was going to drop a Burnout out the Front, But it was Pissing down Rain. It's White with the VR/S HRT Racing Warpaint. It looked & Sounded CCCCCCRRRRRRRRAAAAAZZZZY, I have a Blister on my hand from touching myself for so long ;)

xplosv57
21st December 2007, 07:20 PM
Where do you work???

KID_SRi
21st December 2007, 07:26 PM
Where do you work???

Driveline Services in Bayswater Nth.
www.driveline.com.au
www.durashocksuspension.com.au
http://www.driveline.com.au/assets/PDF/current/OZDIFF%20CUSTOM%20AXLES%20-%20Aug%2007.pdf
We Make Driveshafts to Custom Orders & Sell CV Joints, Uni Joints, Springs, Shocks/Struts,Bump Stops, Stub Axles, Diff Centres(Spools,LSD, Power Steering Racks & Pumps. And Another Bloke & I Make & Repair Truck Exhausts.
So I'm gunna be overhaulin' the Commonwhore Soon :)

xplosv57
21st December 2007, 07:31 PM
Dammit, wish i knew this when i was searching for a diff!!! Will be knocking on your door when the car is ready for 3.9s!!!!

What kind of lowered springs you got, if any???

poita
21st December 2007, 07:32 PM
We had a Crazy VS Maloo come in to work this arvo, he came in to pick up a 9" Full Spool. 383 Stroker on Nitrous & heres the Kicker, It had a underbonnet Top Mount Supercharger. He said its Good for 600hp @ The Wheels & Can blow a new set of tyres off the rims in under a Minute. He was going to drop a Burnout out the Front, But it was Pissing down Rain. It's White with the VR/S HRT Racing Warpaint. It looked & Sounded CCCCCCRRRRRRRRAAAAAZZZZY, I have a Blister on my hand from touching myself for so long ;)

after hearing that i bet Ange will come to the same fate :p

KID_SRi
21st December 2007, 07:34 PM
Dammit, wish i knew this when i was searching for a diff!!! Will be knocking on your door when the car is ready for 3.9s!!!!

What kind of lowered springs you got, if any???

I've only been there since last Thursday.
We have all types of Lowered Springs, We might have to get what you want from the Brisbane Head Office. We supply Paul Morris' V8 Supercar Team with Suspension & Toll HSV & HRT use our Driveshafts and Axles :)

poita
21st December 2007, 07:39 PM
kid_sri, i say your services will come in very handy for ppl on this forum :)

xplosv57
21st December 2007, 07:41 PM
I've only been there since last Thursday.
We have all types of Lowered Springs, We might have to get what you want from the Brisbane Head Office. We supply Paul Morris' V8 Supercar Team with Suspension & Toll HSV & HRT use our Driveshafts and Axles :)

LOL gee not long at all, hows the first few days been??

Checked out the libks, seem to have some good stuff (20in Commodore struts nice design), i'm looking round for springs at the moment, well see how i go!!!!

KID_SRi
21st December 2007, 08:24 PM
LOL gee not long at all, hows the first few days been??

Checked out the libks, seem to have some good stuff (20in Commodore struts nice design), i'm looking round for springs at the moment, well see how i go!!!!

Its been a Good 1st week or so.
Replaced a Few a Uni Joints in some Shafts, aswell as rebalanced them.
Did a bit Parts Stock Checking(F'n Heaps of CV's, Uni Joints and Shockers)
Made about 200 Truck Exhaust Ball & Bells for Cummins & Kenworth, Done some Deliveries. Theres only 2 Blokes & Me in the Workshop & The Boss in The Office, So its pretty Laid back.

If ya want any Suspension Stuff, PM Me the Vehicle Specs & I'll get ya Prices.

Wraith
22nd December 2007, 12:58 PM
after hearing that i bet Ange will come to the same fate :p

hahhaha LOL my hands are full of permanent blisters :D

Wraith
22nd December 2007, 01:06 PM

Kid Sri, I think I may know this dude......

If it's the same car, he works or at least used to work for GMH (Booran) dealership in Cranbourne.

Back in July/August 2005, I was going to buy a CV8Z Monaro from them, but it didn't work out, but in the few weeks I dealt with them, there was a worker there who owned a white VR or VS exactly as you've described above and yes it sounded awesome..... :drool: my pants exploded without even touching myself :o

As I've said many times before, no engine sounds better than a good V8 !!! :)

KID_SRi
22nd December 2007, 02:01 PM
Kid Sri, I think I may know this dude......

If it's the same car, he works or at least used to work for GMH (Booran) dealership in Cranbourne.

Back in July/August 2005, I was going to buy a CV8Z Monaro from them, but it didn't work out, but in the few weeks I dealt with them, there was a worker there who owned a white VR or VS exactly as you've described above and yes it sounded awesome..... :drool: my pants exploded without even touching myself :o

As I've said many times before, no engine sounds better than a good V8 !!! :)

It could be the same Bloke, He has a Handle Bar Beard. His Name is Tony,
He either Own or Work @ a Place called UPC or something.
He goes in all the Burnout comps with the Maloo.

P.S. Call me Glenn ;)

Wraith
22nd December 2007, 02:10 PM
It could be the same Bloke, He has a Handle Bar Beard. His Name is Tony,
He either Own or Work @ a Place called UPC or something.
He goes in all the Burnout comps with the Maloo.

P.S. Call me Glenn ;)

I see, maybe not the same bloke then Glenn :)

I don't remember this guy having a beared, but it was over 2 years ago now, if you see him again, ask him if he used to work at that Holden dealer I mentioned...

KID_SRi
22nd December 2007, 04:53 PM
I see, maybe not the same bloke then Glenn :)

I don't remember this guy having a beared, but it was over 2 years ago now, if you see him again, ask him if he used to work at that Holden dealer I mentioned...

I'll see him again during next Week(Thurs-Friday) as he came & Got 3 Different Types of 9" Full Spools(31 Spline-60 degree Cut, 31 Spline-90 Degree Cut & 35 Spline-60 Degree Cut ) & he'll be bringing 1 of the 31 Spline Spools back. As wasn't sure he wanted to & the 60 degree is $205, while the 90 is $400 & the 90 is better for Full Floating Axles as its Splined further into the Spool.

But I'll ask him when he comes back Ange.

Wraith
27th December 2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks Glenn, I'm curious now, there can't be too many white VR/VS Commos like this one around :)

Unless he bought it maybe, off the guy I met back in July/August 2005 ???

cbrmale
1st January 2008, 11:54 AM
Wish i was around in the 70's, when V8's and rotaries were the biggest things around and there were all these stupid restrictions on this and that!!!

Dunno which engine i would've chosen though!!

After what you've been driving, you wouldn't want to go back to the seventies, believe me. Sure we had V8s (or the Chrysler sixes which were better in many ways), but we had live axles with leaf springs (no traction), vague steering (50mm freeplay), no power steering (try parking), bulk understeer unless it was wet when it would snap into wild oversteer, and despite the dreadful handling they rode like a wheelbarrow full of bricks. Oh yes, shapeless vinyl bucket seats which were uncomfortable and had little in the way of lateral support (not that you could go very fast around corners).

But we didn't have speed cameras and radar guns, just the odd amphometer tape. It was almost as fast as you liked between the towns. My motorcycle cruise speed in those days in a 100 zone was typically 130 or so. Most seventies cars were very unpleasant at that speed, the vague steering and the heavy understeer on anything other than a straight road made driving a real chore, which sort-of self-imposed a speed limit.

Which by the way makes the 100km/h limit a joke. It was set in the early seventies when EH holdens with cross-ply tyres, drum brakes and all-over-the-road handling were not uncommon. Surely we've moved beyond that now, especially on multi-lane rural freeways?

xplosv57
1st January 2008, 02:13 PM
After what you've been driving, you wouldn't want to go back to the seventies, believe me. Sure we had V8s (or the Chrysler sixes which were better in many ways), but we had live axles with leaf springs (no traction), vague steering (50mm freeplay), no power steering (try parking), bulk understeer unless it was wet when it would snap into wild oversteer, and despite the dreadful handling they rode like a wheelbarrow full of bricks. Oh yes, shapeless vinyl bucket seats which were uncomfortable and had little in the way of lateral support (not that you could go very fast around corners).

Having owned/driven 70's built vehicles, i know about their flaws, but would love to have owned these cars when they were new, not when they were 25+ years old as i have done!!

As much as technology is great, sometimes i'd just like to drive something nice and simple!!!!

poita
1st January 2008, 07:49 PM
gotta love teh old 8-track :D

Wraith
2nd January 2008, 02:48 PM
Having owned/driven 70's built vehicles, i know about their flaws, but would love to have owned these cars when they were new, not when they were 25+ years old as i have done!!

As much as technology is great, sometimes i'd just like to drive something nice and simple!!!!

I totally agree, I'm in that age group that grew up with these cars as the typical 1st car (ie: early to mid '80's) and owned/driven heaps of them.

Despite all the nowadays old tech set ups etc. of these cars, they weren't that bad, in fact they are still the most fun cars I've ever driven/owned :)

I love newer cars and all the high tech stuff, but would also love to once again have an older 70's muscle car fully restored to its full glory, that would make an excellent pride n joy to have in the garage :)

cbrmale
2nd January 2008, 06:49 PM

I drove seventies cars in the seventies (I got my licence in 1975), and even when new they were horrible! Trust me, the 25 years of ageing isn't as significant as you might believe. Australian cars were either awful and gutless (like a Holden six) or awful and fast (like a V8 or a Valiant six).

In those days Australian cars had noticeably bad chassis set-ups, Japanese cars had better dynamics, and European cars were much better again.

Reliability was not a strong point: oil leaks were common and cooling systems were never up to Australian summers. They didn't even have radiator expansion tanks! If it got hot, litres of water (not glycol on those days) ended up on the road! If it was possible to compromise reliability to save two cents, the Australian manufacturers would do it. Simple yes, nice no.