PDA

View Full Version : question re weatherstrip?

USC
12th December 2007, 08:53 PM
hey guys, i was wondering what do you glue the two ends of the rubber weatherstrip for the boot with? I had mine changed under warranty as it was ripped...but holden told me they only have a general GM one for german barina, astra and vectra...they just cut it to size???now, the rubber is not joined and looks weird...like its ripped where the two end joins...

what would you use? no SPAM please. ta.

Petey
12th December 2007, 10:50 PM
3M does a weatherstrip adhesive, that should work.

I'm surprised the dealer didn't glue the ends together!!!

A lot of dealers spare parts dept's sell it and you can get it at automotive shops in smaller tubes for I think $8 - $10 mark.

USC
13th December 2007, 10:21 AM
thanks mate. Is it black in colour? is it a bit like shoe glue? u apply a bit to both surface, let dry and glue together?can I use superglue?
they did not even cut it squarely so both ends match!

I ran Preston Holden and they told me they dont sell the glue! damn holden! they try to stock the cheapest part possible...some generic weatherstrip stuff and no glue!! the part number from the original weatherstrip is different to the generic stuff and holden does not import the original part number!! they sell generic shit that will fit all the german models!! and on top of that, they are happy to sell that generic rubber for $300!what a rip off!

guys and girls...keep away from holden. I so wish Opel start their own company here!

blueraven
13th December 2007, 11:03 AM
nah mate, you should still buy genuine parts, just dont buy them from holden. Buy them from autovaux :)

www.autovaux.com (or .co.uk i think) tell them nik in australia sent you, talk to mark. Plenty of people on here have used them, they are usually about 1/3 the price of holden and deliver faster from england than holden can deliver interstate.

USC
13th December 2007, 11:10 AM
thanks mate! I ll see if I can get a secondhand one first...i dont wana mess around with glue and cutting rubber..its something that should come ready to fit the car!

the part holden put is still a GM one but a generic (one fit all type kind of thing)...looks the same as the original stuff but has to be cut to size..its very hard to cut nicely as it has metal reinforcement inside the rubber!

if i cant find a secondhand one from bennett, ill contact autovaux...thanks again!

poita
13th December 2007, 08:53 PM
its .co.uk nik ;)