PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Pontiac G8 Mule *Photos!*

MatsHolden
10th December 2007, 09:02 AM
Spotted this down my way on Saturday whilst on my break at work. Saw it drive past and gee it sounded tough. Finally this time I was able to get some photos for once! I keep seeing all sorts of mules around but never have the photos to prove it. lol

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/1-3.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/2-2.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/3-2.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/4-1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/5-1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/6-1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/7-1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/8-1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/9-1.jpg

Wraith
10th December 2007, 09:15 AM
Awesome good spotting Mat - love the way you've plasted your name on it, just like journos do on you tube pics :D

Love the bonnet vents - hope that bonnet makes it's way to the VE's soon !!!

Also looks like the 500hp (375kw) LS7 Corvette engine will be fitted to a GTS-R model in the near future.....1st ever 12sec Holden, here we come :)

USC
10th December 2007, 09:44 AM
looks good ..they are trying to copy the astra with the pointy front...like everything except for the grille...

EL BURITO
10th December 2007, 12:12 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/7-1.jpg

wats up with the holden center caps

Tfer
10th December 2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the pictures Mat..... that would have to be one of the ugliest noses on a car I have had the misfortune of viewing :eek:

immenotu
10th December 2007, 05:35 PM
Cool shots, like the bonnet vents and the taillights but that front end just ruins the whole car!!!!!!

NXA-16H
10th December 2007, 05:41 PM

That's the first thing I noticed too.

Now let's see the SS-Commodore nerds rebadge their VEs as a Pontiac, just like every 2nd Ute-Knob west of Parramatta rebadges their SS Utes as Chevrolets.

Such practice I refer to as "Small-Penis-Syndrome".

NXK-43Y

DEE-80Y
10th December 2007, 06:02 PM
Now let's see the SS-Commodore nerds rebadge their VEs as a Pontiac, just like every 2nd Ute-Knob west of Parramatta rebadges their SS Utes as Chevrolets.

NXK-43Y

I think they might say the same thing about us Opel people

Charlatan
10th December 2007, 07:03 PM

NXK-43Y

What a strange thing to post on this forum

SIMid
10th December 2007, 07:15 PM
I'm surprised that RTA can allow LHD cars to be registered by GMH. I thought at least they would have some sort of trade plate.

Kinda come across "illegal" from all the redtape I was reading a couple of years ago if you had a LHD car which you would like to register.

Speaking of the G8 .... :p ....... I think the twin grilles might be a bit large which spoils the look.

xplosv57
10th December 2007, 07:32 PM
Having a LHD car in Aus (well in Vic anyway for sure) is not illegal, as long as there's visible signage on the vehicle and i believe also must be licensed to drive such a vehicle!!

Laws changed a few years ago, around the time when Holden were doing LHD testing with the V2 Monaro.

BTW Mat, stop stalking the Holden guys at Lang Lang, LOL!!!

NXA-16H
10th December 2007, 07:37 PM
I think they might say the same thing about us Opel people

Maybe, but as far as I'm aware, noone around here needs a 5.7L V8 (with american badging, mind you) under their bonnet to prove their masculinity.

What a strange thing to post on this forum

Ha! I've seen alot stranger things posted here and elsewhere for that matter.

NXK-43Y

poita
10th December 2007, 07:55 PM
i dont mind the front end on these
im only one of few, i but i like it :)
and as ange siad the bonnt looks great, better than the munro nostrils

Dee
10th December 2007, 08:22 PM
that's down at Dromana - i miss that beach!!!!

tuzinski
10th December 2007, 08:32 PM
it parked there its defiantly asking for pics!

i like the pontiac grill, it makes the car mean!

SIMid
10th December 2007, 09:57 PM
Having a LHD car in Aus (well in Vic anyway for sure) is not illegal, as long as there's visible signage on the vehicle and i believe also must be licensed to drive such a vehicle!!

Laws changed a few years ago, around the time when Holden were doing LHD testing with the V2 Monaro.

Seems illegal when you cannot register a car in Vic in LHD form unless it's at least 25yrs old. If it's younger, it must be converted. I know cause I asked Vic roads just over a year ago regarding imports. GMH obviously have found a loophole by going through a back door.

poita
10th December 2007, 10:08 PM
holden like the backdoor, thats how they source there pricing on parts!!

stevedee3
10th December 2007, 11:05 PM
Seems illegal when you cannot register a car in Vic in LHD form unless it's at least 25yrs old. If it's younger, it must be converted. I know cause I asked Vic roads just over a year ago regarding imports. GMH obviously have found a loophole by going through a back door.
From Vehicle Standards Information 18:

All other left hand drive vehicles may not be registered in Victoria except in the cases of:-
(a) vehicles approved by the Vehicle Safety Branch for registration as Engineering or Market Evaluation vehicles;
...It's probably also worth noting that these vehicles aren't actually imports - the vehicles are made in Australia.

rjastra
11th December 2007, 09:41 AM

You obviously like conspiracy theories as well - lol

I am assuming that Toyota does the same when testing LHD Camrys for the Middle East and Mitsubishi probably did it for Diamantes (magnas) for the uSA. Not to mention all the foreign manufacturers that come to Oz to hot weather testing.

Then there are visiting diplomats and military personal that can import a LHD vehicle for a limited amount of time.

Wraith
11th December 2007, 12:36 PM

That is correct, my cousin has a '67 LHD Corvette vert and it is legally registered that way, no need to convert to RHD :)

It is a weird experience driving it though, being on the opposite side your normally on !!!

However as noted above by stevedee3, test and evaluation factory cars would be exempt, as they are only being driven temporarlily for development purposes :)

Wraith
11th December 2007, 12:47 PM

NXK-43Y

LOL I know a couple of other peeps have already commented on this, but this is a curious thing to say.... :rolleyes:

I don't think it's got anything to do with showing you have a V8 or not ???

IMO it's no different to peeps here Opel-ising their Holden, or O/S peeps Holden-ising their Opels (LOL :D now that's a real funny one) or Vauxhall peeps HSV-ing their VXR's or HSV Commos they now have over there......it's all a big joke in my eyes :D plus your just asking for a bigger ding bat or 'small penis syndrome' person to come along and rip all your badges off wrecking your car in the process ;)

MatsHolden
11th December 2007, 02:35 PM

It's a GMH test vehicle, not a production vehicle, so don't be surprised by that. lol

MatsHolden
11th December 2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the pictures Mat..... that would have to be one of the ugliest noses on a car I have had the misfortune of viewing :eek:

You have to see one in the flesh. When I got the photos onto the computer I thought to myself gee it doesn't look as good as it did actually seeing it.

Wraith
11th December 2007, 03:43 PM
You have to see one in the flesh. When I got the photos onto the computer I thought to myself gee it doesn't look as good as it did actually seeing it.

Good point Mat ;)

That's so true for so many if not most cars - they always look better in the metal :)

MatsHolden
11th December 2007, 07:37 PM
looks good ..they are trying to copy the astra with the pointy front...like everything except for the grille...

That's actually due to the American crash requirements.

Shaun
12th December 2007, 12:04 AM
i know in NSW that a Left Hand drive unit can be registered if under testing by a Manafacturer providing it meets ADR ruling and must display high visable and clearly markings to show its LHD. I would Assume that VIC laws would be similar. As the car Already meets ADR it would only be a matter of displaying high visiable signage if the laws set in VIC are the same or close to NSW RTA laws.

Looks good. They are on sale already in the USA.

Now for the Chev badge comments.... Thats got to be the most lame ass comment i have heard on this forum this week. the " Small Penis " term... Please think about what you said. Most people with a Commodore Ute with the chev badge fitted have a 6.0 ltr Gen 4 in the cars as they fitted to VY and VZ Models round sydney. I wouldnt say the are trying to extend a penis by driving round with a chev badge fitted. Each to there own. Have look on the LS1 forums. i bet they dont bag out an Astra with an Opel Badge on it.

Its no different to Opelising a Opel Based product. Why the **** are people becoming whats commonly known as Brand Snobs on this forum considering they drive whats rather common in europe like our commodores and falcons are here.

Sorry to hi jack the thread matt on the last comment but i think its about time it was said when narrow minded comments are made about things like this.

poita
12th December 2007, 09:45 AM
omg shaun actually made a good point! :p

in all seriousness, totally agree with you mate.
any commodore i have seen with chev badges has and LS1 or 2 in it.
i can see why they do it.
are you gonna start bagging out all the HQ Monaros and older holdens with chev badges on them?

Wraith
12th December 2007, 10:17 AM
Have look on the LS1 forums. i bet they dont bag out an Astra with an Opel Badge on it.

Its no different to Opelising a Opel Based product. Why the **** are people becoming whats commonly known as Brand Snobs on this forum considering they drive whats rather common in europe like our commodores and falcons are here.

+2

Very well said Shaun and very true ;)

dustbug
12th December 2007, 12:32 PM
has anyone noticed that the tails are not the LEDs from HSV. they just look like the normal ones. how boring

rjastra
12th December 2007, 12:58 PM
has anyone noticed that the tails are not the LEDs from HSV. they just look like the normal ones. how boring

well, it's because it isn't an HSV. ;)

Wraith
12th December 2007, 01:54 PM
well, it's because it isn't an HSV. ;)

That's right.

The Yankee G8 is supposed to be a similar model to our SS not equivalent to a HSV :)

But having said that, I believe that G8 bonnet will migrate over to both our Holden and HSV model VE's....

MatsHolden
12th December 2007, 03:32 PM

They aren't normal ones, they're the SS-V tail lights. Slightly different, with the red side reflectors incorporated into the design for US compliance.

rjastra
12th December 2007, 04:13 PM
That's right.

The Yankee G8 is supposed to be a similar model to our SS not equivalent to a HSV :)

But having said that, I believe that G8 bonnet will migrate over to both our Holden and HSV model VE's....

I doubt it in the short term as the grill cutout in the bonnet ONLY fits the Pontiac G8 grill/front bar. Probably deliberately done so Commodore buyers can't do the swap ;)

Wraith
12th December 2007, 08:14 PM
Commodore buyers can't do the swap anyways, because they won't be able to buy those bonnets at spare parts outlets until they become part of the Aussie car model inventory ;)

But yeh, your right, as soon as that happens and I reckon it will, it's just a matter of time, then all these blokes with 'normal' Commos will want that bonnet, just like what happened previously with the release of the vented bonnets on the VZ Monaros...

Now every 3rd VT-VZ Commo, ute and whatever else are wearing those bonnets :)

sooty
3rd January 2008, 06:23 PM
digging up an old thread but saw this same G8 twice on blackburn rd yesterday at around 10am.
It looks a lot better in the flesh

Daggs01
3rd January 2008, 10:41 PM
well you may be able to import the front bar and grill from pontiac usa?

would cost a bit to do, or if you had friends over there a swap could be organised. think they would be the only one in the entire country with a holden front on their pontiac.

btw Yanks claim that the exported the (original) Pontiac GTO to AUS. when it was the other way around.

Opel'isation is restoring it to how it should be. I have seen people put Chevy badges on rodeo's, which are Isuzu's

EL BURITO
3rd January 2008, 10:46 PM

would cost a bit to do, or if you had friends over there a swap could be organised. think they would be the only one in the entire country with a holden front on their pontiac.

btw Yanks claim that the exported the (original) Pontiac GTO to AUS. when it was the other way around.

Opel'isation is restoring it to how it should be. I have seen people put Chevy badges on rodeo's, which are Isuzu's
they cant cos the reason for the different bumper is due to legislation

rjastra
4th January 2008, 09:17 AM

You'd have to do the bonnet, bumper and grill. Pretty exxy.

Wraith
4th January 2008, 12:29 PM
Spotted one of these yesterday around 3:00pm in Mordialloc just off the Nepean Hwy along the beach road there......

Black one, dirty as hell :D with the 'LEFT HAND DRIVE VEHICLE' black n white stickers on the rear bumper :)

From behind it is identical to our Commos, only the badges (Pontiac G8) give it away - front end is different, looks ok, but except for the bonnet, I prefer our Commos :)

GreyRex
4th January 2008, 02:02 PM
i saw ones of these yesterday as well. just off maroondah highway in mooroolbark. For some reason, it seems to be an area where you're fairly like to see an unreleased car being tested. guess they'd be on their way to/from healesville and the black spur maybe. Was a grey colour, and said Pontiac G8 GT. Was the V8

Wraith
5th January 2008, 02:33 PM
mmmm looks like Thursday this week was the G8 mules testing day.....

That's 2 different ones spotted in the same day at different locations :)

bill142
5th January 2008, 09:50 PM
Is it just me or is the antenna mount different?

Wraith
8th January 2008, 01:51 PM
Is it just me or is the antenna mount different?

Didn't notice that one before, but I think you may be right...

GreyRex
10th January 2008, 10:48 PM
Saw another one of these today, near the corner of Bridge Road and Hoddle Street in Melbourne. They really seem to be out and about. Was that same black/grey colour and yep... left hand drive

RudeOne
25th January 2008, 12:26 PM
I spotted a white one on lorimer st in Melbourne, it was going back to the GM office - big left hand drive sticker, they do look much better in the flesh thats forsure - the mule i saw didnt have a rear wing!