PDA

View Full Version : replacing 04 astra 1.8 with vectra 2.2 C22SEL

ASTRAY
10th December 2007, 12:28 AM
hi guys, just new to this forum, i have an 04 astra 5speed 1.8 classic sedan and i love her, i have tonnes of pics etc that ill post soon in members cars area, and a few little mods etc but no motor work really. i am happy with the performance of the 1.8 but would love some more power if possible.
i have a quick question for everyone, i can get my hands on a 2.2 c22sel vectra engine, what would the engine swap be like? would i need another ecu? different engine mounts etc, can i use the 1.8s gearbox? really what i want to know is how much is the conversion going to cost me on average? thanks heaps for any info guys, and i look forward to getting to know you all,
jason.
port macquarie, nsw.

EL BURITO
10th December 2007, 01:35 AM
simple not worth it. get the 2.6 V6 or the 2L turbo other wise wasting your time

KID_SRi
10th December 2007, 09:58 AM
A C22SEL is too old for a Conversion into a 04 Astra, It wouldn't pass Emissions Testing.

Like Laurie said, You'll better off with a Z20LET(If you can get one) or Z22SE or 3.2/3.5 V6 from a Vectra C. :)

btm
10th December 2007, 12:52 PM
welcome to the site too by the way :)

USC
10th December 2007, 03:47 PM
i would just sell the car and buy a turbo TS. in australia, engine conversions for astras are really not worth it...

PaulyJ
10th December 2007, 03:53 PM
It'd be cheaper just slapping on a small turbo onto it really.
Run 7psi and you can keep your stock ECU.

ASTRAY
10th December 2007, 05:29 PM
cheers guys, i was thinking of turbo last year sometime but am totally clueless as to price etc, as you can see i havent done my homework on that front, even though ive done tonnes of searching on the net about other stuff. i might go post my car pics etc now. its pretty much all stock except for mags and a few interior things.

auzvectra
10th December 2007, 11:19 PM
if it's a Z18XE just tune it, if it's an X18XE then chuck it ;).
the Z18 tunes very well, i should know.

auzvectra
10th December 2007, 11:20 PM
oh and the C20/22sel motor's are identicle to the Z20let in external, sensors, ect...
but no idea about the 1.8L. i think the X18 is different, but the Z18 may be the same.

OPC
11th December 2007, 10:25 AM
cheers guys, i was thinking of turbo last year sometime but am totally clueless as to price etc, .

whatever price someone tells you it will cost to turbo your 1.8 Astra... DOUBLE THE COST

it's not worth the money, stress, time, headache let alone all the shit that goes wrong with engines not produced to run a turbo from factory

personally and i think a few other people will agree
i'd be sellin up and getting a factory turbo car

The 03 Astra Turbo is a cheap little car now and pretty cheap to modify aswell with all you really need is a chip, full zorst and bigger intercooler and maybe a custom air box if required

they are also a very good base for a sleeper if you leave the exterior as standard... most of us know that dont we fellas

OPC
11th December 2007, 10:28 AM
actually i just saw this...

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15113

this would be a great car for you

oneightoo
11th December 2007, 10:35 AM
what he said ^^^^ x 1,000,000

it's been said over and over..

just sell your car, spend an extra $4k and get an astra turbo, then you get the extra power you want, the fancy bodykit, the swanky leather etc..

Wraith
11th December 2007, 11:58 AM
what he said ^^^^ x 1,000,000

it's been said over and over..

just sell your car, spend an extra $4k and get an astra turbo, then you get the extra power you want, the fancy bodykit, the swanky leather etc..

+2 agree x 2,000,000 !!!!

Seriously, even if I already had the Astra and the 2.2 Vecce engine sitting there for free, I wouldn't do the conversion, for all the reasons already mentioned !

Sell everything and buy something from factory, already set up with what you want, s/h if need be, is still a better option !

oneightoo
11th December 2007, 12:11 PM
besides, the 2.2 isnt that much better than the 1.8..

JR
11th December 2007, 12:39 PM
besides, the 2.2 isnt that much better than the 1.8..

exactly - no point upgrading from 1.8 to 2.2L. not worth the hassle for the little increase in power.
if anything - turbo charge it.

but if u ask me, leave it and buy urself an astra turbo - just like everyone else mentioned here.

i have not modded my 1.8l engine except for derestricting the airbox, cause there is no point.

if u can't afford to get an astra turbo now - look at improving the handling characteristics of ur car. that's wat i've done atleast.