PDA

View Full Version : something cool that i witnessed....

DIXIE
6th December 2007, 01:33 PM
okay so i was at hte carwash with my mate and we hear this spastic dose from behind us...

in my head im like.. fark that sounded tuff.. gotta be a VL...

i turn around, and a blue vxr turbo goes flying past dosing off its head

and i was like "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

so now i HAVE to figure it out and do it to my astra :P

that is all.

PaulyJ
6th December 2007, 01:38 PM
That is your mission should you accept it...
Custom plates on the vxr?

btm
6th December 2007, 01:46 PM
geebs perhaps?

Geebs
6th December 2007, 01:56 PM
If this was today, it better not have been my car. Im in syd atm and the car should be in the garage in South Melbourne. My flatmate does have keys... hmmmmmmm lol

btm
6th December 2007, 01:58 PM
HAHAHAH imagine... busted :)

Wraith
6th December 2007, 02:11 PM
From what you describe, it has to be modified in some way, maybe an aftermarket BOV or some other mods on that particular VXR....what colour was it ???

Stock standard VXR's do have a more audible BOV 'dose' than the TS's did, but not as noticeable as what you describe you heard above, certainly when I test drove and thrashed the hell out of one for the better part of 40mins. the stock BOV 'dose' wasn't anything to rave over ;)

oneightoo
6th December 2007, 02:35 PM
If this was today, it better not have been my car. Im in syd atm and the car should be in the garage in South Melbourne. My flatmate does have keys... hmmmmmmm lol

do you have a Brotek Dose pipe?

xplosv57
6th December 2007, 06:37 PM
From what you describe, it has to be modified in some way, maybe an aftermarket BOV or some other mods on that particular VXR....what colour was it ???

Stock standard VXR's do have a more audible BOV 'dose' than the TS's did, but not as noticeable as what you describe you heard above, certainly when I test drove and thrashed the hell out of one for the better part of 40mins. the stock BOV 'dose' wasn't anything to rave over ;)

No way, we found this out when we heard Geebs car on a cruise a while ago and Pauly and I got excited like little school girls when we heard it dose!!! From factory once they're run in, they're quite audible!!

And Geebs thought there was something wrong with it pffft!!!!

I am also on a mission to find out how, i'd have done it already if i'd actually bought an SRi-T!!!!

P.S. Where abouts was the VXR spotted???

1OPL2C
7th December 2007, 01:35 AM
my VW Passat dose's too..

all you have to do is block the vacuum hose going to the stock bov/divertor valve.

Geebs
7th December 2007, 11:29 AM
No way, we found this out when we heard Geebs car on a cruise a while ago and Pauly and I got excited like little school girls when we heard it dose!!! From factory once they're run in, they're quite audible!!

And Geebs thought there was something wrong with it pffft!!!!

I am also on a mission to find out how, i'd have done it already if i'd actually bought an SRi-T!!!!

P.S. Where abouts was the VXR spotted???

LOL - I remember your face hahahaha

I got no mods on my car BUT...

My car doses alright! ..and yeah, it started once I hit about 15k km's. It is quite audible and I recon its fully sik! :p

Wraith
7th December 2007, 12:03 PM
So they (the BOV) gets louder as they age on the VXR ????

I wonder what that's due to or a result of ???? dosn't sound right....

This is certainly not the case for the TS or other turbo cars - not that I know of anyway :confused:

oneightoo
7th December 2007, 12:04 PM
someone was saying after 15,000kms they open up a lot more??

btm
7th December 2007, 12:54 PM
someone was saying after 15,000kms they open up a lot more??

wasn't that aussie saying that?

Geebs
7th December 2007, 12:56 PM
So they (the BOV) gets louder as they age on the VXR ????

I wonder what that's due to or a result of ???? dosn't sound right....

This is certainly not the case for the TS or other turbo cars - not that I know of anyway :confused:

I was actually thinking the same thing... Took it back to Holden 3 times, went for a drive with the service manager the 3rd and he insists its normal....

Wraith
7th December 2007, 01:26 PM
I was actually thinking the same thing... Took it back to Holden 3 times, went for a drive with the service manager the 3rd and he insists its normal....

As long as it's 'normal' and you havn't noticed any adverse effects, all's good, in fact it's a bonus if a loud 'dose' is what you want :)

But I'd still be wondering if a vacuum pipe or something similar becomes loose or blocked up with time - that's certainly what it sounds like - as far as I know, there's no such thing as a BOV sound getting louder over time, it's not like an exhaust muffler that wears out over time and makes the car louder....

I'm curious to know what actually causes this one :)

rusole21
7th December 2007, 03:37 PM
By the term Dose do you mean flutter or just venting the bov? If your talking about flutter then that is deffinitely not a good thing! Flutter is baad mkay!!

Wraith
7th December 2007, 03:53 PM
By the term Dose do you mean flutter or just venting the bov? If your talking about flutter then that is deffinitely not a good thing! Flutter is baad mkay!!

Yes, I assume we're all talking about that funny flutter noise you here during and immediately after the venting of the BOV between gears.....alot of older Japanese turbo engines have that same sound ???

rusole21
7th December 2007, 03:59 PM
Yes, I assume we're all talking about that funny flutter noise you here during and immediately after the venting of the BOV between gears.....alot of older Japanese turbo engines have that same sound ???
Ok so if we are talking about flutter its bad. Sounds mint but its bad. Its when the boosted air is not venting and alowing the turbo to slow naturally. The boosted air is stopped by the throttle body butterfly, then reverberates back into your compressor blades on the turbo and gets chopped. The turbo has mega amounts of pressure on it then because it stops spinning at 150,000 rpm in 1 second. Great if you have a vl turbo tho cos those are so sick tough nuts fast.

Funny that holden said it was normal. If it is then that turbo must be hella strong!

rusole21
7th December 2007, 04:01 PM
okay so i was at hte carwash with my mate and we hear this spastic dose from behind us...

in my head im like.. fark that sounded tuff.. gotta be a VL...

i turn around, and a blue vxr turbo goes flying past dosing off its head

and i was like "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

so now i HAVE to figure it out and do it to my astra :P

that is all.
Take the vacuum pipe off your bov. It will be sweet and last forever!

R3N
7th December 2007, 04:19 PM

All turbos are capable of flutter, thats when the BOV is blocked off, even if you do have a BOV and the excess boost is not enough to open the BOV solenoid then you get a soft flutter at times. As said before, its bad for the turbo unless you have a very strong one. Oh and flutter can be amplified by a million times by running an open pod filter

Wraith
7th December 2007, 05:10 PM
So guys, does this mean that the VXR's in question do have something abnormal going on (blocked off BOV's/vacuum pipes off or loose) and should be fixed up ???

rusole21
7th December 2007, 05:19 PM
Thats what i was wondering. Maybe it is designed that way or somethin. All i know is that flutter isnt a good thing to be happening to your turbo. Its happening on mine a bit at the moment. Need to loosen the pressure on the adjusting screw.

DIXIE
8th December 2007, 04:24 AM
lol ok i forgot to check the thread.

1. flutter does NOT destroy turbo's and i can say this unequivocally after MUCH study on my VL turbo.

2. by dose i do not mean 'psscchhhttt' i mean "ZU TU TU TU TU TU" (like my VL) :)

3. i saw the dude in the vxr dosing by again so i pulled him over and popped his bonnet - he insisted all he had was a pod filter (dicks.. as if)

4. put a pod filter on mine tonight after the cops chased me home in my vl (after a few chap laps).. and all it did was make it bov real loud like a riced up 180.. bwooaoaaaaarr.... psschhhh.... boring!

5. i need to block up this vacuum hose! can anyone tell me where exactly it is.. does it go from the comp housing to the intake??

anyone?

1OPL2C
8th December 2007, 12:21 PM
all u have to do is crimp the vacuum hose!! bend it, clamp it, etc...

and u have to have a pod filter so it's heaps loud. my vw goes zzz tututut

donttake or black things off coz takes longer to put back etc..

DIXIE
8th December 2007, 12:52 PM
interesting.. i'll give it a crack :)

CAL.16V
8th December 2007, 03:02 PM
flutter does wreck turbos because the turbo starts spinning the other way ... its the turbo stalling that makes the sound...

blocking off teh bov and not having another one is bad...

the vxr probably starts fluttering becasue the dump valve starts to wear/stick and dosent release the pressure quick enough...

hit holdien up for a new dump valve , ie whole new turbo unit (if its under warranty) or wait just before warranty is up to do it

Geebs
8th December 2007, 03:30 PM
Hmmm, this is what ive been thinking all along, with Holden insisting its ok. My argument was that if its ok, why don't they do it out of the showroom. It's doin something it wasnt doin before so to me that means somethings wrong...

Its still under warranty for a few years yet, ill bring it up again at next service. If it does fuk something else up, at least I got all the documentation from the previous times ive complained about this so it will be their fault.

What they said to me is that it was normal, not having any effect on performance and not damaging anything else... I sometimes wonder whether they just talk shit so you stop bugging them.

DIXIE
8th December 2007, 04:33 PM
turbo blades NEVER spin the wrong way. EVER.

its a perfectly balanced component spinning at god-knows-what RPM.. could you imagine the strain put on the shaft + bearings if it were to be going at lets say 18000 rpm and then instantly changing direction - the thing would explode!

ive also documented that THEY DO NOT SPIN THE OTHER WAY

NEVER

NOT EVER

platypus
8th December 2007, 05:03 PM
flutter does wreck turbos because the turbo starts spinning the other way ... its the turbo stalling that makes the sound...

flutter isn't what destroys it...

the word your all looking for is cavitation

it won't spin it the other way, unless you stall the engine... BUT - it is still a backwards pulse - this is why the humble BOV was invented....

some noisy waste gates will sound like flutter

DIXIE
8th December 2007, 05:22 PM
yes cavitation.. and as ive documented on countless VL turbo's which have NEVER had a bov/dv fitted.. is that after 21 years they still have NO cavitation, and NO shaft play.

its whats called.. "quantitative evidence"

Wraith
8th December 2007, 05:32 PM
mmmmm, all interesting guys, I think Pat's correct in saying it might be caused by the BOV beginning to wear/stick....I'd keep an eye on it, or maybe an ear on it Geebs, just in case :)

As for creating that sound by either removing or blocking off vacuum lines, I think I'll pass, that dosn't sound like a healthy thing to do to the engine components in question - although it must be very common, as every VL or Silvia or 200SX I hear go by, all have that trademark flutter tututut sound LOL... to tell you the truth, it does nothing for me, I'd prefer to just have a nice whooosh sound :)

DIXIE
8th December 2007, 06:09 PM
fair point.. ur from the other side of the fence.. me - i reckon whooshh is for girls who drive 180s :P

in any case - it doesnt destroy anything - VLs being the example.. they came with no bov, dv, or intercooler from factory - and had compressor surge every time you back off... for 21 years (!!!)

:P

xplosv57
8th December 2007, 06:37 PM
Well if i had one, i'd do it to cos, 1. it sounds awesome and 2. heck if it does end up f**king the turbo, it's a great excuse for the bigger VXR turbo upgrade!!!

Gotta get hold of an SRi-T to research this, it can't be too hard!!

DIXIE
8th December 2007, 07:23 PM
ive done it. it works. i recommend merging this thread with the other one :P~

Coley
28th January 2008, 11:52 AM
which vac line do you block or crimp??? the one going to the factory BOV/dump valve. if so were is it????

CNBLU
28th January 2008, 03:06 PM
dont need to crimp anything, get under your car behind the engine block, just pull it out. i had this on my car but got sick of the sound so went for an enclosed pod filter instead and plugged it back in, sounds so much more quieter but at least it keeps the missus happy:rolleyes:

this is what is used to sound like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZjIO2jvuWo

Shaun
28th January 2008, 03:12 PM
wasn't that aussie saying that?

Aussie and my self say that. More then likely the BOV on the VXR is larger then the one on the SRi T Meaning it will give a louder noise.Mines now got 18.1xx km on the clock. will find out when i drive it again for the the 1st time in weeks if its louder.