PDA

View Full Version : New type of door.

SIMid
4th December 2007, 08:36 AM
http://www.disappearing-car-door.com/

Anyone gonna do it?

btm
4th December 2007, 08:44 AM
that is awesome! i cant even imagine how much it costs though...

SKM_87
4th December 2007, 09:01 AM
insane!

Wraith
4th December 2007, 09:10 AM
That's very, very neat and clever.....and also curious about the costs ???

I can see this starting a new trend amongst modifiers and take over from Lambo style doors as the next must have on Auto Salon type show cars :)

It is also a very practicle feature to have on a normal everyday car too, would come in handy for confined spaces, garages, carparks etc. I wonder if major car manufacturers will adopt it ?? it would have to be as safe in a collision as a normal door though....

rjastra
4th December 2007, 09:34 AM
Things I didn't see...

How do you mount seatbelts and maintain current passive restraint systems?
Side airbags? How would they work? And does it pass side crash tests?
They never show you the finish of the inside of the door. Looks like it has to be smooth (no armrests or electric window switches etc.)

oneightoo
4th December 2007, 10:08 AM
i doubt it'll make it big at auto salon's.. lambo and suicide doors will remain the norm there..

if you cant see a door you'll just think they had it removed, where with lambo doors, you know where they've gone..

blueraven
4th December 2007, 10:53 AM
They have been around for more than 15 years, my stepmums bmw Z1 (google ;) ) had them from the factory, and that was 15 years ago....

they were freaking awesome back then, but when they break down..... sell a kidney!.

http://www.bmw-z1.com/img/imp-1.jpg

USC
4th December 2007, 11:02 AM
Things I didn't see...

How do you mount seatbelts and maintain current passive restraint systems?
Side airbags? How would they work? And does it pass side crash tests?
They never show you the finish of the inside of the door. Looks like it has to be smooth (no armrests or electric window switches etc.)

seatbelts are mounted on the seat itself...
side airbags come from ceiling..not from door!!
electric switches would be near handbrakes I would imagaine...even if there were on door, they wouldnt take much space!
I would imagine that door will have strong metal bars in side for side impact...

i think it s freeking awesome...u could park in any tight space and be able to get in or out of the car without any problem...no more door scratches...haha

rjastra
4th December 2007, 11:31 AM
seatbelts are mounted on the seat itself...
side airbags come from ceiling..not from door!!
electric switches would be near handbrakes I would imagaine...even if there were on door, they wouldnt take much space!
I would imagine that door will have strong metal bars in side for side impact...

i think it s freeking awesome...u could park in any tight space and be able to get in or out of the car without any problem...no more door scratches...haha

If you look carefully you will see that the additional armrest is where a thorax/side airbag would be mounted. Side airbags are seat or door mounted. Curtain airbags are roof mounted.

As for scratches... it's the OTHER cars that park next to you that inflict the damage ;)

USC
4th December 2007, 11:48 AM
If you look carefully you will see that the additional armrest is where a thorax/side airbag would be mounted. Side airbags are seat or door mounted. Curtain airbags are roof mounted.

As for scratches... it's the OTHER cars that park next to you that inflict the damage ;)

I have never seen an airbag mounted on a door....:p in the ah, i think it is mounted on the side of the seat...

looks like a mechanism that would wear out very easily though....

tuzinski
4th December 2007, 12:20 PM
thats a good design, what happens to the doors metal?
it looks like it bends when it goes under the car.

and is there a door card?

rjastra
4th December 2007, 12:57 PM
I have never seen an airbag mounted on a door....:p in the ah, i think it is mounted on the side of the seat...

looks like a mechanism that would wear out very easily though....

The E36 BMW 3 series had the option of side airbags. They were located in the doors ;)

Wraith
4th December 2007, 12:59 PM
They have been around for more than 15 years, my stepmums bmw Z1 (google ;) ) had them from the factory, and that was 15 years ago....

they were freaking awesome back then, but when they break down..... sell a kidney!.

http://www.bmw-z1.com/img/imp-1.jpg

I see, good one Nik - so it's a re-vamp of an old idea already tried n proven...

Should be interesting to see how well or if it takes off again - I like the whole concept very much, it's both cool and practicle, it's a winner ' if ' the costs are reasonable to have them :)

blueraven
4th December 2007, 01:23 PM
think of it like this..

its basically 2 motors/ mechanisms similar to a convertable roof. So naturally they wont increase cost, will never stuff up and will be easy and cheap to repair on the incredibly rare times that it has a problem. Oh and of course it will move up/down in only a few seconds(because lets face it anything more than 3 seconds wait to get in/out of your car would be unacceptable..)

i think my built in sarcasm regulator just blew fuse :).

DEE-80Y
4th December 2007, 03:53 PM
I would hate to have to get out of it in the rain, then some a$$hole drives past and splashes water into your car. It's not like you see him coming and quickly close the door.

But other than that I think its a cool idea, I don't see it ever becoming standard in the future.

Wraith
4th December 2007, 04:24 PM
I would hate to have to get out of it in the rain, then some a$$hole drives past and splashes water into your car. It's not like you see him coming and quickly close the door.

But other than that I think its a cool idea, I don't see it ever becoming standard in the future.

LOL good point, but with normal car doors, you have to watch out they don't get smashed off, by some speeding car going by if you open them at the wrong time, or collect an unseen push bike rider LOL :D

JR
4th December 2007, 08:37 PM
looks awesome - very funky :D

but i'd b concerned bout the cars structural strength - cause i c no b-pillars.
having no b-pillars linking to the roof creates a structural weakness.

looks like too much modification for a standard car. not only will u need lots of underbelly space, u'll need a whole new redesigned door n body frame to accomodate a 'curved sliding door'.

but it looks HAWT :D

oneightoo
5th December 2007, 12:33 PM
think of it like this..

its basically 2 motors/ mechanisms similar to a convertable roof. So naturally they wont increase cost, will never stuff up and will be easy and cheap to repair on the incredibly rare times that it has a problem. Oh and of course it will move up/down in only a few seconds(because lets face it anything more than 3 seconds wait to get in/out of your car would be unacceptable..)

i think my built in sarcasm regulator just blew fuse :).

lol, this would be true, for all cars, that are not Calibra's :D

blueraven
5th December 2007, 12:53 PM
lol, this would be true, for all cars, that are not Calibra's :D

no, they would work perfectly until you wanted to show someone, then they would shutdown and lock you out of the car, only to open perfectly 10 min later :D

oneightoo
5th December 2007, 12:59 PM
no, they would work perfectly until you wanted to show someone, then they would shutdown and lock you out of the car, only to open perfectly 10 min later :D

haha so true..

this happened when selling my red calibra.. sunroof works perfectly for over a year, never a glitch.. when it comes time to show one person, a potential buyer, all of a sudden she wont open.. the guys leaves and sure enough, it works..

that car hated me, i know it..

poita
5th December 2007, 08:44 PM
that car hated me, i know it..

as we all do :p

oneightoo
6th December 2007, 09:59 AM
as we all do :p

i love you too poita :D

btm
6th December 2007, 10:08 AM
get a room you two :p