PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for Turbo Cars

Jass
16th January 2004, 01:50 PM
Guys

Just wondering what insurnace you guys use. Iam with NRMA and they charge me 3k a year for my car iam 24 with 55% no claim. Iam swaping to Just cars who will charge me about $1800 a year.

Can you guys give suggestions of other insurance companies that might be cheaper then Just cars??

Thanks

Rhino
16th January 2004, 02:51 PM
I'm with Western QBE - I don't know if they have an eastern state affiliate...

26, 60% lifetime no-claim bonus with protection (1 at fault claim p/y), 1 free windscreen p/y.

[edit] 4 yr new car replacement if written off.

$750 or there abouts...

We also have nominated driver policies, that might cut your premium down.

Anonymous
16th January 2004, 03:17 PM
Be carefull of just cars they have may high excess if it gets stolen
Try Dawes or Shannens

Turblue
16th January 2004, 03:19 PM
-AAMI
-$767 Full Comprehensive
-Age 38
-Lifetime Rating 1
-First year write-off= full new replacement
-Not sure about no claim bonus etc...

All I know is that if it is not my fault, I don't pay any excess and no claim bonus doesn't change.

sri48u
16th January 2004, 04:37 PM
Try Resonse Insuance in Melb. They were very helpful 2 me and insured my car under similar policy as WRX's,at a time when nobody wanted 2 touch it cause the car was an unknown,i.e none stolen,crashed etc. May b different now that there r more around and more insured?

BoostedAstra
16th January 2004, 04:52 PM
If anyone in QLd is lookin try RACQ.....

I've lost my licence twice now due to acumulation of points, made multiple claims in my life time totalling over $60k (stoopid crazy driver when younger) 25 yrs $580/yr, full replacement for 2yrs.... not too shabby me thinks...

BA

Dregger
21st January 2004, 09:11 AM
Be carefull of just cars they have may high excess if it gets stolen
Try Dawes or Shannens

chances of an astra being stolen is extremely low.

AAMI
well mine is $950,
high risk area in melb.
age 22
rating 1
1 claim but my rating was protected!

but i work at AAMI so i get 50% off so it only costs me $475 pretty good deal to be honest even without the staff discount

mr_astra_retired
21st January 2004, 07:08 PM
just got a few quotes for the SRI turbo

AAMI $1187
NRMA $1360

Im 27 and get the 60 or 70% no claim bonus
First year write off , full replacement..

sijay
21st January 2004, 07:17 PM
Im with Just Cars, signed up when I was 24, they screwed up and accidently quoted me for Rating 1 at about $800yr. Should have been rating three - but it was there mistake and now they're only charging me the quoted rate! Who said all insurance companies were bad? But have to admit I only went with them because they were the only ppl that I didnt get a dial tone from when I said I was under 25 and mentioned the word turbo!

titanturbo
10th February 2004, 08:21 AM
wish uk was that cheap i,m paying £700 at a guess is that about $2000 and £700 is cheap to us i work with lads paying £2000+ for 1.2 corsas

GOZOFF
24th February 2004, 08:54 PM
just got a few quotes for the SRI turbo

AAMI $1187
NRMA $1360

Im 27 and get the 60 or 70% no claim bonus
First year write off , full replacement..

Why so much still $$. I ask AAMI who im with at the moment how much if I got a SRi turbo and they quoted me $768. Im 33 and I pay just $580 for my SRi 2.2 plus extras I have done.
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SADSAhIWTjK2MEAQ3KjtbbA1P9GcT8H8HRYi4nKkqPSKypjMj J1Eb*JeFkWEjJPo4dSmUKgqvdcKgL2XJWAwJpoVZAYtb76TRPN 9nIq7WigvAAAArXJXAg/gozoff.JPG?dc=4675461083389660741

mr_astra_retired
24th February 2004, 09:26 PM
Its cos they love you Dav !!!

I pay $1400 with nrma and that includes an agreed value and with my exhaust and lowered suspension that im getting on saturday.

Im 27 with about 65% no claim bonus.

Turblue
25th February 2004, 09:18 AM
Just got my AAMI renewal notice, and my premium went down.

$726 Full comp, with $36,000 agreed value. Includes exhaust.

tmov81
25th February 2004, 09:54 AM
it would cost me at least $2500 to insure my standard (as far as the insurers are concerned) 2.0L 16v Cally... I have no NCB and that was before i had any traffic infringements...

Why is the astra so damn cheap to insure...

i guess parts are cheap...

01CDsedan
25th February 2004, 11:43 AM
The Calibra is probably expensive to insure because, being a 2 door, a lot of insurance companies automatically assume that means 'performance car'...

tmov81
25th February 2004, 06:51 PM
The Calibra is probably expensive to insure because, being a 2 door, a lot of insurance companies automatically assume that means 'performance car'...

Whadd'ya mean assume :evil:

and parts are a bitch...

in my front ender... the original quote was like $5,500 parts, $2,000 labor... but i got second hand bonnet, left headlight, bumper complete, left guard (about $2500 new) for about $850

01CDsedan
26th February 2004, 08:23 PM
I say that in the sense that just because something has two doors, it doesn't mean it's a performance car. Lancer Coupe is a very good example of this - it's nothing more than a dead average cheap sedan with two doors missing. And - no offence intended - a Calibra is not a performance car in the same way that other two doors like say, the Monaro or 200SX are performance cars. It's unfair on the owners for insurance companies to put cars like the Calibra (and other coupes) in with higher-risk cars like the 200SX, when clearly they are not the same kind of car.

It is, however, a very decent coupe.

extralarge
15th March 2004, 12:48 PM
Howd you get on a rating 1 at age 22?

Isn't it 18 rating 6, 19 rating 5 (assume no accidents).. etc?

Anonymous
15th March 2004, 02:31 PM

So my 2-door Corsa is a performance car... AHAHAHAHA
Nice one!

Mitch
15th March 2004, 04:27 PM

So my 2-door Corsa is a performance car... AHAHAHAHA
Nice one!

2 door Coupe not hatchback

Anonymous
15th March 2004, 05:20 PM
Dude, i was joking around...

NUTTTR
17th March 2004, 10:25 PM
I'm with nrma first year (55% NCB - 22 no at fault) was 1700, this renewal (in july!!) will be 1300, and i'm happy to pay this, because they cover my stereo... well, most of it now... :x
They wrote me a letter and said "no more"... however AAMI said they will cover my car for 28450, which is less than what i paid (brand new tahts how much they'd insure it for!) however, nrma was happy to insure for what i wanted, provided i paid a little extra :) i did... not that i'm planning to smash or anything, but if i do, at least i'm more than covered, and i can have enough money left over to buy an astra turbo and replace the stereo if i do! :D
Aaron

extralarge
8th April 2004, 02:21 PM
Dregger, howd you get on a rating 1 at 22??

Anonymous
8th April 2004, 04:25 PM
i get insurance from broker. last year my 03 Barina SRI was around 750 & i was rate 3 & no mod apart from $1.5k of stero. it was with Royal & Sun Aliance.

i just got my renewal for 643.80 & i'm now a rate 1. this is with Vero...

kirssn
12th April 2004, 02:01 AM
the NCB rating system has changed... it now goes off years of driving experience first, then if you have made claims they adjust your rating.

you'll find that for your turbo cars with minimal mods, aami and nrma are the way to go.

when you start making quite a few mods which include bodykits and stuff, try gio... you'll find that they will insurance pretty much everything except extractors and this applies to most cars...

when you get to places like just cars, just watch to make sure things like your wheels and stereo are actually covered. their prices are usually reasonable.

i've been through policy wordings for all of the above and more and imo, i'd go either aami (which is who has insured my sxi) or gio (suncorp - the best motor vehicle cover out there atm).... i've got policy comparisons which we did at work not to long ago if anyone is interested...

Kirs.

Degen-Astra
12th April 2004, 09:56 AM
GIO will not insure anything with extractors.

Exahust, No probs.

Bigger Rims, so long as it doesnt exceed 1 inch wider and 2 inches bigger than the largest rim for that model. (From memory)

Camshaft - Must be changed with another Holden stock camshaft. For EG: Say i put the camshaft from a 2.2 SRi in to a 1.8 City thats okay (dont know about the size of individual shafts for each vechile), but i cannot put something like a Kent Cams or even an OPC cam (even though made by Opel it isnt stocked by Holden as standard on any of their cars)