PDA

View Full Version : Battle stations - new Evo vs new Sti

Wraith
2nd December 2007, 11:54 AM
This looming battle has finally almost arrived, the new Evo vs the new Wrx Sti...

There will be plenty of comparos in time on this one, but it'll be a good start to get it straight from the Japs themselves :)

Interesting power graphs

From the evox forums....I'll post the results as soon as they become available.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145

btm
3rd December 2007, 10:05 AM
those 2 cars side by side :drool:

oneightoo
3rd December 2007, 10:06 AM
i'd take the evo anyday..

btm
3rd December 2007, 10:12 AM
i'd take the evo anyday..

me too, but in saying that, the rex looks unbelievable in that pic

Wraith
3rd December 2007, 10:59 AM
Agree with you on that one BTM, the Sti looks very good and menacing :)

Evo may be the better looker and handler (maybe), but Sti is the faster/quicker car...

Take a look at the forcast stats on the link to that story, the Sti leads 52% to 48% - no doubt most people believe the Sti's better power/weight ratio is all it needs to win the battle ;)

http://www.nihoncar.com/en/news_details.php?id=668

Ishley
3rd December 2007, 03:58 PM
I have never really been a Subaru fan.... So i would take the EVO anyday.

BUT. On a side note, what are your thoughts on the Ralliart/GSR (whatever they call it) vs. the normal WRX.

The Lancer is rumored to have 175kW vs. the WRX's 164(i think). I am dieing to see the Ralliart model. I would LUF it!!!!!!!

btm
3rd December 2007, 04:15 PM
The Lancer is rumored to have 175kW vs. the WRX's 164(i think).
isnt the lancer quite a bit heavier though?

Wraith
3rd December 2007, 05:09 PM
I have never really been a Subaru fan.... So i would take the EVO anyday.

BUT. On a side note, what are your thoughts on the Ralliart/GSR (whatever they call it) vs. the normal WRX.

The Lancer is rumored to have 175kW vs. the WRX's 164(i think). I am dieing to see the Ralliart model. I would LUF it!!!!!!!

Good question and I actually have some info on this one for you.... :)

The ralliart Lancer specification is now rumoured to have 193kw and the same AWD drivetrain as the Evo 9 !!!!

It is still expected to be in the low to mid 40k's price range too for Oz. :)

Definitely the way to go rather than the basic wrx, if it has the above !

As to it's external looks, it will be almost identicle to the current basic Lancer that's in showrooms ATM, fitted with the sports kit of side skirts rear spoiler, foggies etc.

I think this ralliart variant will take sales away from the Evo 10...

CJB
3rd December 2007, 06:18 PM
-deleted-

Ishley
3rd December 2007, 06:20 PM
Wow. Thats alot more power then i thought it would have. Does this mean Mitsu can apart from the direct competition of the WRX, make a move into the VXR, GTi, MPS3, XR5 and the likes aswell.

As good as the other are in that category i would say the Ralliart Lancer will trump them all. More so because of their heritage, and more knowledge in the field of turbo 4's.

I am very keen on the idea of the Ralliart Lancer to replace the Astra

poita
3rd December 2007, 06:23 PM
hahahaha nice work there ish :p

i woudnlt say no to either, but looks wise i would go the EVO

Wraith
4th December 2007, 09:20 AM
Wow. Thats alot more power then i thought it would have. Does this mean Mitsu can apart from the direct competition of the WRX, make a move into the VXR, GTi, MPS3, XR5 and the likes aswell.

As good as the other are in that category i would say the Ralliart Lancer will trump them all. More so because of their heritage, and more knowledge in the field of turbo 4's.

I am very keen on the idea of the Ralliart Lancer to replace the Astra

Most definitely !

If it is released with those specs, it will be superior in performance to any of the hot hatches - no question, it'll have more power and has the already tried and proven Evo 9 running gear ! and will be priced at mid 40k's, yep will trump em all :)

However it's direct competitor is the basic wrx, but as you've stated, it will no doubt attract buyers in the hot hatch market too, it has caught my attention, I mean for what it offers for the price, I reckon it's a better buy than the Evo 10 which is the superior and better car but will cost almost twice as much !!!

rjastra
4th December 2007, 09:27 AM
Pricing for the STI has been released in the UK. It's UKP1500 CHEAPER than the outgoing STI. The Lancer will have a fight on its hands I think. All tests I have read have the EVoX manual being noticeably slower than the outgoing Evo9.

Ohhh, I saw a new STI in inner Sydney on Friday evening (at traffic lights). Looks quite imposing in the darker grey colour (was fitted with the VW R32 look wheels).

Wraith
4th December 2007, 09:36 AM
Pricing for the STI has been released in the UK. It's UKP1500 CHEAPER than the outgoing STI. The Lancer will have a fight on its hands I think. All tests I have read have the EVoX manual being noticeably slower than the outgoing Evo9.

Ohhh, I saw a new STI in inner Sydney on Friday evening (at traffic lights). Looks quite imposing in the darker grey colour (was fitted with the VW R32 look wheels).

Yep, Evo 10's weight increase means it's a little slower than the 9 in straight line acceleration, but it is better around the corners and has a much better everyday ride and character to it though :)

Agree it faces an uphill battle, it's high price tag, lower acceleration (new Sti is much faster/quicker) all work against it ! however I reckon Mitsu will address this quickly and if we don't see it in this model, stay tuned for an uprated Evo 11 or 12 :)

Can't believe you spotted a new Sti, thought none had landed here in Oz just yet ???

I can't wait to see one in the flesh, hopefully it'll appeal to me - either way they are going to just keep getting better from now on in the looks department - about bloody time too :D

rjastra
4th December 2007, 11:27 AM
I couldn't tell if it was a JDM model or the real deal 2.5L version.

The US mags are already testing the STi

Sti vs Evo X:

"At the dragstrip that equates to 0 to 60 in 4.8 seconds and the quarter mile in 13.4 at 100.5 mph, numbers that are significantly quicker than those of the Evo X GSR (5.4, 14.0 at 96.9), "

With those figures a EVOX will get hosed by a SS commowhore.

Wraith
4th December 2007, 12:55 PM
I couldn't tell if it was a JDM model or the real deal 2.5L version.

The US mags are already testing the STi

Sti vs Evo X:

"At the dragstrip that equates to 0 to 60 in 4.8 seconds and the quarter mile in 13.4 at 100.5 mph, numbers that are significantly quicker than those of the Evo X GSR (5.4, 14.0 at 96.9), "

With those figures a EVOX will get hosed by a SS commowhore.

Yep, true that, in a straight line, it's not looking good for the Evo 10 ! but it'll be hard to match or beat in the twisty stuff :)

It was supposed to be a high 12sec car :rolleyes:

Sti's performance is on the money :) all it needs is a reflash, maybe some more minor things and presto - 12sec everyday ride - yes please, I'll take one :D

rjastra
4th December 2007, 01:01 PM
Yep, true that, in a straight line, it's not looking good for the Evo 10 ! but it'll be hard to match or beat in the twisty stuff :)

Problem with that logic is that the only real place to see it really thrash a commowhore is on a racetrack. Even there there is a case that the SS driver will have more fun (rwd +lots of kW)

99% of the time (ie real roads) the SS will be up to the challenge.

Wraith
4th December 2007, 01:13 PM
Problem with that logic is that the only real place to see it really thrash a commowhore is on a racetrack. Even there there is a case that the SS driver will have more fun (rwd +lots of kW)

99% of the time (ie real roads) the SS will be up to the challenge.

Correct, totally agree, it's one of the main reasons I'm more interested in the Sti :)

I reckon an SS or even a VE HSV will beat an Evo in all but wet or loose surface conditions...

The above mention of cornerring and handling prowess is the main 'defence' ATM by Mitsu and Evo 10 fans to try and make it still shine, despite it's drop in straight line performance....

The Ralliart Lancer should be in a different boat however in that class :)

rjastra
4th December 2007, 02:33 PM
Correct, totally agree, it's one of the main reasons I'm more interested in the Sti :)

I reckon an SS or even a VE HSV will beat an Evo in all but wet or loose surface conditions...

Hmmm, i wonder how true that is now that the SS/HSV has a rather advanced ESP system.

I think I would be more satisfied , for everyday driving, with a VW R32. Creamy smooth V6 with a half decent interior (STi/Evo have crap interiors)

Wraith
4th December 2007, 04:35 PM
I suppose each to their own, personally I like the interior in the new Sti - however will reserve final judgement until I've seen the thing in the flesh :)

I've never been a fan of the Golfs, Gti's or R32/36 models, (the new Golf Mk6 might change my mind) the V6 AWD models are always criticised that their performance can almost be matched by tuned 4 pot Gti's that cost 1/2 to 2/3rds as much and they never come close to matching the AWD Jap bridgade.

It's a nice car with nice finish, but dosn't float my boat.

Would be an interesting comparo as to how good the VE's ESP does in wet/loose surface conditions, I'll bet though it won't even come close to performing the magic of the Evo 10's electronic wizardry ;)

Wraith
6th December 2007, 01:12 PM
And the winner is................the Sti !

No surprises here, it's much talked about better power/weight ratio made sure of that.

http://www.evolutionoz.net/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16204

rusole21
6th December 2007, 03:02 PM
cant see that link. stoked about the sti winning. I love it heaps more than the x. Each to their own tho!!

Wraith
6th December 2007, 03:28 PM
I just gave it a go - works for me :)

Here's part of the link...from the ozEvo forum :)

The envelope, please...
It didn't take long for Japan's journalists to get the new STI and EVO X side by side, and the results are now officially in. Tsukuba circuit regulars Kazuo Shimizu and Manabu Kawaguchi spent an afternoon thrashing around the notoriously twisty short circuit just north of Tokyo and here (drum roll please) are the best times they could ring out of the AWD rivals:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X : 1:06:46

Subaru Impreza WRX STI : 1:05:95

So there you have it. The new engine placed further forward in the engine bay of the EVO X than in the EVO IX has indeed proven to be a handicap, while the STI's "wheel at each corner" longer wheelbase plus new double wishbone rear suspension has proved its worth.

Neither car is quite as quick as its immediate ancestor though. Check out this 15 year rivalry of the EVO vs the STI as recorded at Tsukuba:

EVO / STI

2006 1:05:07 / 1:04:72

2005 1:04.88 / 1:04:17

2003 1:05:30 / 1:04:69

2001 1:05:17 / 1:06:56

1998 1:04:69 / 1:06:73

1996 1:07:00 / 1:05:92

1994 1:06:52 / 1:06:26

1992 1:10:90 / 1:07:99

btm
6th December 2007, 03:43 PM
link works for me, but you need to be a member to read anything

Wraith
6th December 2007, 04:01 PM
link works for me, but you need to be a member to read anything

Oh, sorry about that guys :o

Main result is posted above anyways :)

Wraith
13th December 2007, 01:40 PM
Another good read for those interested....

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=123886#3

Seems like the Sti is the definite performance and drive winner of the 2, but the Evo definitely retains heaps more appeal in the looks department :)

JohnBu
13th December 2007, 03:50 PM
they don't mention what tyres each car was using, as STI's have recently been using semi-slicks which would obviously aide launches and lap times.

but the STi really is the better performer, whereas the Lancer as seem to dropped the ball, I would have thought the Evo X was going to be better than it will be but lets wait for the dual clutch version to come out.

so props to subaru for making their car faster, more nimble and lighter than it's predecessor.

Now I'll wait for the 2009 facelift before I would consider owning one.

all reports say the 08 WRX looks much better in person than in photos. I saw it in person, it still looks like dog turd- just like in the photo. The front & rear horrendous, I can live with the middle section :D

I could imagine the popularity of the wrx if it looked stylish, like say the XR5 (IMO one of the better 5 door hatches).

blueraven
13th December 2007, 04:23 PM
yeah.. i went into subaru to have a closer look at a wrx. not impressed at all :(

have head rumors that mazda is gonna release an awd mps 3 to tackle them both when the mps3 gets its update. might be the winner if it learns from the downfalls of the the current sti and evo :)

Wraith
13th December 2007, 04:46 PM
yeah.. i went into subaru to have a closer look at a wrx. not impressed at all :(

have head rumors that mazda is gonna release an awd mps 3 to tackle them both when the mps3 gets its update. might be the winner if it learns from the downfalls of the the current sti and evo :)

Yep BR, one of the newbies I'm waiting on also is the new MPS 3 :)

However I highly doubt it'll be an AWD !

As John mentioned, the face lifted wrx will hopefully be nicer and another one to look forward to is an updated Evo 10 or wait for the Evo 11 or 12 - they seem to release them in quick succession and I believe Mitsubishi will address the performance issue, as they won't want to lag behind the Sti in performance for the 1st time ever for too long ;)

sooty
13th December 2007, 05:07 PM
Neither car is quite as quick as its immediate ancestor though.

Well that's a real step forward in engineering :confused:

poita
13th December 2007, 08:48 PM
there is a white STI gettin around here.
didnt realise it was an STI till i saw the badge on the back.
doesnt look as different as the previous versions

dieselhead
14th December 2007, 12:33 AM

...not that the Mazda 3 is much of a looker, either. But that's just my opinion. Oh, there's something else: compared with Subaru and Mitsubishi the guys from Mazda are nkotb when it comes to turbocharged AWD crazy, mad little cars. That matters, a lot.
I like the EXO X to be honest. Sure, could be that is slower at the limit than a new STi, but how much does that really matter?

Wraith
14th December 2007, 09:18 AM
Well that's a real step forward in engineering :confused:

It's a product of a lower power/weight ratio, nothing to do with engineering ;)

In terms of engineering, both the new Evo and Sti are far better in every respect to their predecessors, especially the Evo :)

Remember it's only in a straight line that the newer cars are marginally slower than the previous models, around a typical track or in the twisty stuff, they are faster and both behave much better on normal roads, that's a definite step up in engineering :)

Wraith
14th December 2007, 09:24 AM
...not that the Mazda 3 is much of a looker, either. But that's just my opinion. Oh, there's something else: compared with Subaru and Mitsubishi the guys from Mazda are nkotb when it comes to turbocharged AWD crazy, mad little cars. That matters, a lot.
I like the EXO X to be honest. Sure, could be that is slower at the limit than a new STi, but how much does that really matter?

Mazda MPS 3 is a hot looker IMHO, that's a matter of personal taste !

I agree with you totally about the Evo 10, it's a good looker, practicle 4 door sedan and who cares about upper limits, especially when you intend to never track the car ?? :)

My choice goes with the new Sti ATM only because I expect it to be priced much cheaper than the Evo 10, therefore IMO giving far better value for money in this class and I don't mind its looks and 5 door hatch layout :)

rjastra
14th December 2007, 10:13 AM
Mazda MPS 3 is a hot looker IMHO, that's a matter of personal taste !

You think?? -LOL Can't understand why then you think the WRX looks like a turd then. At least the WRX has bumped the Mazda3 into the second ugliest hatch on the market ;)

Apparently there is a facelifted Mazda 3 late 2008 that supposed to look "much better" (those are the words of Mazda).

Wraith
14th December 2007, 10:26 AM
You think?? -LOL Can't understand why then you think the WRX looks like a turd then. At least the WRX has bumped the Mazda3 into the second ugliest hatch on the market ;)

Apparently there is a facelifted Mazda 3 late 2008 that supposed to look "much better" (those are the words of Mazda).

LOL, you must have me mistaken for someone else, re-read my posts :)

I LIKE the look of the new Imprezas, especially the Sti ! :)

btm
15th January 2008, 02:19 PM
not the STi or the X, but still interesting...

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=47353

blueraven
15th January 2008, 02:27 PM
i was just gonna mention the ralliart. :)

R3N
15th January 2008, 02:32 PM
ST-what?

Sorry... evo wins on looks again

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q291/2drscooby/GreddyEVOXFront.jpg

http://carview-img01.bmcdn.jp/cvmaterials//tas/2008/take_car/mitsubishi_lancer_evo_x_ra/01_l.jpg

Ishley
15th January 2008, 02:36 PM
I am definately looking at the Ralliart Lancer to replace the Astra when they are released!.....

Only problem is holding out until October-ish

Wraith
15th January 2008, 03:51 PM
That car, as I've mentioned before will definitely be a hit !!! :)

PaulyJ
15th January 2008, 04:24 PM
I think i just... again...

oneightoo
15th January 2008, 04:27 PM
what about the mazda 6 mps??

Wraith
15th January 2008, 04:45 PM
what about the mazda 6 mps??

No contest in terms of pricing compared to the ralliart Lancer :)

Performance wise the ralliart Lancer will have the Evo 9's running gear mated to the new alloy MIVEC engine (different tune to the Evo10) rumoured to be good for over 190kw :)

Wraith
15th January 2008, 04:47 PM
I think i just... again...

+1

That white Evo is HOT :drool:

Ishley
17th January 2008, 04:05 PM
Im in love

http://i12.tinypic.com/81585ev.jpg

http://i10.tinypic.com/6jbdyjr.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/867y2vo.jpg

Wraith
17th January 2008, 05:12 PM
I'm sure I've already put those pics up somewhere........ :)

But yeh, nice looking it is ;)

Tuning kits are already out for the new Evo, so it won't be long before they are available for the ralliart variant also :)

You gotta just love the Japanese hi po cars for the immediate and ubiquitous availabilty of top notch aftermarket tuning and styling accessories.... :)

btm
27th March 2008, 09:07 AM
I didnt think the new STi was out yet?

Cause i saw a blue new STi yesterday evening - looked hot!

JohnBu
27th March 2008, 10:11 AM

they are out

Wraith
27th March 2008, 10:13 AM

Havn't seen this thread in a while :D

Me too, agree BTM, saw one last week also a bluey - looked HOT !!!

As I and some others have said before, pics do this car no justice, in the flesh they look awesome and are perfectly sized IMO :)

I still stick to my opinion after seeing it at the Melb. motor show, love it and it's top of my list as my next everyday ride, unless something better and cheaper is released by '09-'10 :)

btm
27th March 2008, 10:17 AM
Havn't seen this thread in a while :D
yeah it is a bit of a blast from the past... but thought it better to search for an old relevant thread vs start a new one...

(got to keep the mods happy so maybe one of these days they'll put the new banner up in the NSW OA site :rolleyes: ;) )

Wraith
27th March 2008, 10:21 AM
New thread, similar topic months down the track is ok :)

dieselhead
27th March 2008, 01:24 PM
Check out this week's Fifth Gear episode where they test the new STi. Their conclusion is that is, well, crap, nothing like its predecessors... Would that be the reason why the new Evo will sell for 5,000 quid more than the STi in UK?
:)
Anyway, see for yourself. Best part of the show imho is the comparo between the Mini Cooper Works and the new Clio 197.

Wraith
27th March 2008, 04:32 PM
Check out this week's Fifth Gear episode where they test the new STi. Their conclusion is that is, well, crap, nothing like its predecessors... Would that be the reason why the new Evo will sell for 5,000 quid more than the STi in UK?
:)
Anyway, see for yourself. Best part of the show imho is the comparo between the Mini Cooper Works and the new Clio 197.

That's their opinion/conclusion, it's crap ??? very different/opposite result from many other reviews I've seen or read, so wonder what's up with that ?? :) I suppose if anyones expecting it to be exactly like the previous models, they will be dissapointed, it's smoother and more refined, different configuration, better looking - well that's really an opinion :) (1st Wrx/Sti I've ever liked the look of) and it's faster....

It's featured in current Motor Mag too, up against the Audi S3 and Golf R32 and gets the upper hand against those 2 no probs :)

As for new Evo FTW :) but the cars size kills it for me as an everyday ride :( still the Ralliart is a close 2nd in my list :)

sooty
27th March 2008, 07:53 PM
Where'd the R35 go on that list wraith ;)

Wraith
28th March 2008, 12:31 PM
Where'd the R35 go on that list wraith ;)

R35 is top of the list as my next 'pride n joy' weekend/weeknight/project/hobby car like my vert :)

My name is down on Nissans list :D no obligations however, as I may change my mind when the time comes - want to see what eventuates with that G60 concept :)

New Sti is 1st on my 'everyday car' Calibra replacement list.....close 2nd is ralliart Lancer, but may change ' if ' we see a very nice MPS 3 replacement or decent Golf Mk 6 or something else, by the time I'm ready to proceed - '09-'10 :)

BTW I see your now D145 LOL, I assume something to do with the kw output of your oiler ??? 110-145??

Does this mean your now able to keep up with a stock petrol AH Sri t :D

Wouldn't this be a nice everyday/weekend car combination ??? if only money wasn't a problem......I'd probably get them to build me up something else instead of the smart though :)

http://i28.tinypic.com/a2xij7.jpg

rjastra
28th March 2008, 12:43 PM
Think you will find the G60 is dead in the water

Wraith
28th March 2008, 12:54 PM
Think you will find the G60 is dead in the water

That would be a pity, but would also make my next 'main' car decision easier :)

I would find it a real bugger to choose between an LS7/LS9 powered new Coupe like the G60 and the GT-R....ie if I'm in the position to be able to do so in the next couple of years - here's hoping :pray: :)

sooty
28th March 2008, 01:01 PM
BTW I see your now D145 LOL, I assume something to do with the kw output of your oiler ??? 110-145??

Does this mean your now able to keep up with a stock petrol AH Sri t :D

Indeed it does, with the greenbox and simota carbon induction the 145 is a conservative figure, soon to be tested on the dyno. Got a lot more torque than the SRi T though :D

Wraith
28th March 2008, 01:16 PM
Indeed it does, with the greenbox and simota carbon induction the 145 is a conservative figure, soon to be tested on the dyno. Got a lot more torque than the SRi T though :D

Sounds good, look forward to your dyno figures, I'd be wrapped for you if your getting anywhere near 145 at the flywheel....that should make your oiler as quick as a stock petrol turbo and yes heaps more torque for sure, which feels great for 'seat of the pants sensation' when driving :) I know from all my past V8's :D

sooty
28th March 2008, 01:22 PM
Sounds good, look forward to your dyno figures, I'd be wrapped for you if your getting anywhere near 145 at the flywheel....that should make your oiler as quick as a stock petrol turbo and yes heaps more torque for sure, which feels great for 'seat of the pants sensation' when driving :) I know from all my past V8's :D

This is just a from memory deal, but Dieselhead got ca. 149kw with the same mods as me :D

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15568

Wraith
28th March 2008, 02:05 PM
This is just a from memory deal, but Dieselhead got ca. 149kw with the same mods as me :D

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15568

That's very good data there....

Would be good if there were figures using the same car and tool when it was stock - that will give you very good indication of the power increase.

Very good 0-60 and 0-80 times, however 0-100 is still somewhat slow...you'd get chewed up by a stock petrol Astra turbo to 100km/h or over the 400m...

BTW what is acceleration like from rolling starts ???

FYI I had a tangle with an AH oiler last weekend on the freeway with my Calibra - rolling drag race from 100km/h up.....he couldn't break away, I was right up his rear and even had to back off :D not sure if it was stock or modded, (GREEN BOX) but my face was filled with black smoke LOL, I assume he had a green box, beacause I hear they cause heaps more smoke and this one was smoking heaps !!!!

rjastra
28th March 2008, 04:34 PM
That would be a pity, but would also make my next 'main' car decision easier :)

I would find it a real bugger to choose between an LS7/LS9 powered new Coupe like the G60 and the GT-R....ie if I'm in the position to be able to do so in the next couple of years - here's hoping :pray: :)

Road and track tested the Z06 vs GTR vs 911T.... surprisingly the slowest in the standing start tests was the GTR. hmmmmm

Wraith
28th March 2008, 05:01 PM
Road and track tested the Z06 vs GTR vs 911T.... surprisingly the slowest in the standing start tests was the GTR. hmmmmm

Take a look at the link of the comparo test I posted on the previous page...they also had the Audi R8 in the mix :)

End results the GT-R bested both Z06 and 997 (911 TT) and R8 whilst being put in it's adversaries prime element too :)

What will be interesting is the new '09 LS9 powered Z06, which in a straight line is a 10sec. machine :eek:

Also the new '09 911 TT with 500+bhp, both being hastened because of the GT-R's onslaught :D

Now even more interesting, the R35 GT-R is only at the very beginnings of what will be at least a 5 - 6 year model run and this is just the base model, can you imagine what the upcoming confirmed V-spec will be like and rumoured future factory Nismo and Z tune variants....rumours abound of a Zonda killer, I say bring it on :D

sooty
28th March 2008, 07:02 PM
That's very good data there....

Would be good if there were figures using the same car and tool when it was stock - that will give you very good indication of the power increase.

Very good 0-60 and 0-80 times, however 0-100 is still somewhat slow...you'd get chewed up by a stock petrol Astra turbo to 100km/h or over the 400m...

BTW what is acceleration like from rolling starts ???

FYI I had a tangle with an AH oiler last weekend on the freeway with my Calibra - rolling drag race from 100km/h up.....he couldn't break away, I was right up his rear and even had to back off :D not sure if it was stock or modded, (GREEN BOX) but my face was filled with black smoke LOL, I assume he had a green box, beacause I hear they cause heaps more smoke and this one was smoking heaps !!!!

They can smoke a lot stock. Was it def a manual? as the autos would be considerably slower too...no idea i guess, had to be there.

Rolling starts are really really good as shown by the 888 thurlby CDTi beating the VXR in the rolling start drag...(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo987X-Au48)

What's the stock SRi-T run the 0-100 in? i thought the 7.4 is pretty comparable...:confused:

Wraith
30th March 2008, 01:33 PM
They can smoke a lot stock. Was it def a manual? as the autos would be considerably slower too...no idea i guess, had to be there.

Rolling starts are really really good as shown by the 888 thurlby CDTi beating the VXR in the rolling start drag...(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo987X-Au48)

What's the stock SRi-T run the 0-100 in? i thought the 7.4 is pretty comparable...:confused:

Not sure if it was auto or manual, I didn't notice any bopping up an down from gear changes, so possibly an auto ?? my Calibra is an auto, but with their low drag and a V6 that loves to rev to 6,500rpm and with kick down ability even at 100km/h, they really move at higher speeds, I've kept up with a 3.0ltr VL before to 190km/h no probs, in fact I was passing him...does yours now have the same power/torque as a 888 ?? that would be excellent :)

From what I know, stock TS turbos were around 7.2 to 100km/h although I've seen numerous times much quicker and the AH around the same, ie: low 7's I may be wrong, will have to get on of the AH guys to answer.

Oh I stuffed up in my other post above, answering rjastra, GT-R link is in the GT-R thread, not previous page here :o DOH :doh: LOL

Wraith
31st March 2008, 01:38 PM
For anyone interested, check out this link to a blog showing performance enhancements going on over in the U.S by some of their major tuners...

Of interest here is the new '08 Sti, one has been modded to run mid 12's retaining the stock turbo and Ecu !!! awesome....

Another modified to an output of over 410kw and over 770nm at the wheels :eek: faaaarrrkkkk....that poor little 2.5ltr is really working hard....

http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/

blueraven
31st March 2008, 01:49 PM
how dare you encourage me to get an sti....

Wraith
31st March 2008, 03:35 PM
how dare you encourage me to get an sti....

Hehe sorry :o

I wasn't even aware the potential of the new '08 Sti was this good and it's been top of my list as next everyday ride already, now even more so :)

Seems with only little modding, you've got yourself one hell of little terror, which is one hell of a performer even stock standard ;)

New Evo is also showing promise, believe it or not, with only and exhaust (TBE) and induction mods, it's showed as much as a 62kw gain :eek:

Obviously Mitsubishi have put alot of tune into the new MIVEC 4B11 and detuned it through a very restrictive exhaust, IMO much easier and cheaper for them to slowly release more power through future subsequent models...

bornwild
31st March 2008, 08:50 PM
Yeah the new STi has some balls. Definitely bests the EVO and, to be honest, the Skyline GTR. I mean, add $40k worth of mods to the STi and you'll be killing the GTR like a canetoad.

Wraith
31st March 2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah the new STi has some balls. Definitely bests the EVO and, to be honest, the Skyline GTR. I mean, add $40k worth of mods to the STi and you'll be killing the GTR like a canetoad.

Why not have both ?? that's my goal - one for everyday and one for weekends :D