PDA

View Full Version : |=ucking truck driver rear-ended my SRi!!!!!!!!

The Sentinel
24th June 2004, 11:13 AM
As of 1:30 yesterday afternoon my beloved SRi is off the road.

I was stopped at a roundabout waiting for traffic to go by when a Toll semi-trailer rear-ended me.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The truck-driver's words:
"Sorry mate.. I didn't see you..."

Damage to my car:
It smashed in the hatch window and folded in the hatch itself. The airbags didn't deploy and the rest of the car looks undamaged...from what I could see at least.

I still have a chunk of the wing to keep as a souvenir

Damage to truck:
Zero......

They have already started work on my car and reckon two to three weeks before I see it again.

Dee
24th June 2004, 11:15 AM
BWAH!!!!!!!!!!!! what a fkn k n o b!!!

ahh well you can have a barina now too :D

glad that your ok tho :)

heaps of massages now....

anicorsa
24th June 2004, 11:46 AM
OMG, what a dumbass!!! He's sitting high up in a truck and couldnt see you?!?!

The cars not a write off?

Anyway, good to see your still ok, shaken up no doubt.

dazza015
24th June 2004, 11:57 AM
That Sucks

Sorry to Hear about it

Hopefully they will have it fixed in time for the Cruise!

RK
24th June 2004, 12:18 PM
damn that sucks man.
glad to know your okay, though.

rjastra
24th June 2004, 01:26 PM
Bugger :(

Bets it's a write off.

The Sentinel
24th June 2004, 01:32 PM
No actually.. just the hatch.. the reset looks o.k.
He didn't hit me hard enough for the airbags to deploy.....

I guess the one consolation is that it was the rear and didn't affect the engine...

DrDevil
24th June 2004, 02:04 PM
damn man, that really sucks

you SRi was so nice on the cruise. Hopefully you get a good a job on the repair.

Cybulba
24th June 2004, 02:16 PM
what a spew job :( least u r i one piece ;)

GOZOFF
24th June 2004, 02:21 PM
What a boof head how could he not see you damm its an SRi and we stand out :oops:
Hope it all works out for you anywayz :)

The Sentinel
24th June 2004, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the kind words peoples...

rjastra
24th June 2004, 04:08 PM

They won't deploy in a rear ender (unless you hit the car in front)

Have the C pillars or roof have any dents/ripples in them?
Look for deformation near the spare tyre well etc.

rjastra
24th June 2004, 04:08 PM

Look for deformation near the spare tyre well etc.

The Sentinel
24th June 2004, 04:12 PM

Look for deformation near the spare tyre well etc.I didn't notice any.. ... everything but the hatch looked perfect... I didn't look under the car...

Chux
24th June 2004, 04:19 PM
Whoever is repairing it will check it over thoroughly to make sure that nothing else has been damaged. Sucks that your car is off the road, I only got mine back about a week before the cruise.

You're ok though and that's the most important thing in a crash.

em
24th June 2004, 04:30 PM
hope your feeling ok and glad that your not damaged.

I hope the car gets fixed soon and your back on the road. :D

em

Mr T
24th June 2004, 04:32 PM
Quote:

Airbags in General Motors cars are set off by an electronic device (usually positioned under the front passenger seat) they are deployed when the sensor detects a deceleration at a rate equivalent to loosing 27KM/H in 1 millisecond (basically in an instant). This does not mean that if you have a front collision at a speed of higher than 27 they will go off. My wife rolled her Barina a few years ago doing 100KM/H and didn't set of the airbag, because there was no need, the front didn't hit anything hard enough.

General Motors and Mercedes Benz are world leaders in crash safety, XC Barina is
thought to be the 2nd safest car in the world today, following Mercedes A-Class, Astra's not far away in 5th, that’s why I own one :shock:

Dee
24th June 2004, 04:38 PM
yay i drive the second safest car in the world...... hopefully i wont have to test it out one day

The Sentinel
24th June 2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks gus... 8) :roll:

Anonymous
24th June 2004, 05:07 PM
Sorry to Hear Man :cry:
It must be the Season for Astras to get Bingled in the Rear, I hope mine isn't next :lol:
But glad your OK :D

FlySri
24th June 2004, 05:22 PM
Bugger !!!!!
Sorry to hear it !!!
Your OK, so that's a bonus. But I would of killed the trucky !!!!
Watch out for repairiers that don't line the hatch back up properly, it may take 6 months to be noticable !!!

DrDevil
24th June 2004, 05:32 PM
General Motors and Mercedes Benz are world leaders in crash safety, XC Barina is
thought to be the 2nd safest car in the world today, following Mercedes A-Class, Astra's not far away in 5th, that’s why I own one :shock:

interesting - where did you get your information?

i definately would not have thought of the A-class as the safest car - those things look like the will tip over or roll on any corner.

The Sentinel
24th June 2004, 05:33 PM
What does one look for if one doesn't want to wait the 12 months??

FlySri
24th June 2004, 05:36 PM
It's hard to tell to be honest !!! The hatch (in most hatches ) seen to become lose thats to the bog thats in that area .
Sorry to be the beaer of possiable bad news, I just know how cr@p a rattling hatch can be !!!!

angels666
24th June 2004, 07:54 PM
So sorry to hear this Tony :(

sunny
24th June 2004, 09:43 PM
thats sux! hope you get a quick fix

Dee
24th June 2004, 10:02 PM
its all good ang... he still has a ride :) ME

rjastra
24th June 2004, 11:08 PM
XC Barina is
thought to be the 2nd safest car in the world today, following Mercedes A-Class

Barina does quite well but I checked the ENCAP site and there are quite a few cars that have better crash protection than the XC BArina.

shaohaok
25th June 2004, 12:07 AM
i would be SOOO MAD. at least u are ok, could have been worse.

whereabouts did this happen? Did the truckie look stoned from fatigue?

The Sentinel
25th June 2004, 08:15 AM
It happened on the corner of Lomandra Dr. and Airport Dr. I was turning left to go into the city..

He didn't look stoned, but if there had have been a large enough stone at the scene of the accident.... well let's just say that in police terms it can be classed as a blunt instrument..... <jk>

GAZ914
25th June 2004, 08:56 AM
Bummer man :(

On the bright side it doesn't sound like a major, so hopefully it will back good as new.

The Sentinel
25th June 2004, 09:13 AM
Thanks Gaz. Here's hoping.. :-)

As I said earlier, the damage only appeared to be to the hatch, so maybe the only thing I will have to worry about is rattles....

Mr T
25th June 2004, 01:07 PM
onenutsbigger wrote:
thought to be the 2nd safest car in the world today, following Mercedes A-Class, Astra's not far away in 5th, that’s why I own one

interesting - where did you get your information?

i definately would not have thought of the A-class as the safest car - those things look like the will tip over or roll on any corner.

I worked for Holden for two years, they are very proud of the fact that they are leaders in that area, they do not advertise it because they do not agree with the way that NRMA do their test, the NCAP test in "inadequate" according to Peter Hanenburger. Holden believe that car manufacturers design their cars to perform well in the NCAP and as a result they do not allow for other scenarios, such as head ons at 100KM/H.

The Sentinel
29th June 2004, 09:39 PM
damn man, that really sucks

you SRi was so nice on the cruise. Hopefully you get a good a job on the repair.Thanks Ben. All the comments I've heard about this smash repair place have been positive.

I'll be stopping in tomorrow to pick up a loan car, so I'll see how the car looks so far.

journo
2nd July 2004, 01:53 AM
[/quote]

I worked for Holden for two years, they are very proud of the fact that they are leaders in that area, they do not advertise it because they do not agree with the way that NRMA do their test, the NCAP test in "inadequate" according to Peter Hanenburger. Holden believe that car manufacturers design their cars to perform well in the NCAP and as a result they do not allow for other scenarios, such as head ons at 100KM/H.[/quote]

In my travels as a journalist I researched the Corsa C (Barina) and what has been said is partly on the money,
but...
The Corca C as at 2002 was the second safest small car with 3 1/2 stars from five, following the Merc A Class with a smidgen more of a fractional star.
Other cars perceived to be safe, like the Lancer and Pulsar, scored just 1 1/2 stars each and one had high risk of abdominal (or it may have been chest) injury in a side impact.
The comparo was not made against cars like the merc S class which is definately one of the safest cars in the world. Nor was it a comparo for 4WDs.
Either way, as a journalist I felt I had the resources to make an informed decision and bought a 2003 Barina.
Work was also convinced of my research and replaced the staff Corolla which was due for replacing with the same model Barina a few months later.

They are a very safe machine.
Short of driving one into a pole at 100km/h I defy any to show me a safer car. They are, after all, designed for Europeans to take with confidence onto autobahns etc.

journo
2nd July 2004, 01:56 AM
Almost forgot,

I feel your pain, I hate it when people take to the road with their eyes clamped shut.

The Sentinel
3rd July 2004, 09:35 AM
Hooray.. I got my SRi back yesterday!!!

She looks like new.. and no rattles!

Mr T
5th July 2004, 09:53 AM
The Corca C as at 2002 was the second safest small car with 3 1/2 stars from five, following the Merc A Class with a smidgen more of a fractional star.

ahh, slightly missguided, but on the right track, thanks for clearing that up. :mrgreen:

woody
5th July 2004, 10:24 AM
Man Sorry to hear bout the car... thats a real bummer - specially as i know how much i would be annoyed if someone even so much as breathed the wrong way on my car, let alone crunched it.

Glad you're OK though..

The Sentinel
5th July 2004, 12:39 PM
Thanks woody.

I took her for a cruise down the Warrego Hwy yesterday...... no ratttles at 180 :-)

NUTTTR
5th July 2004, 09:24 PM
Hooray.. I got my SRi back yesterday!!!

She looks like new.. and no rattles!

Bloody hell that was fast!!!
Mine took 7 weeks and it still has to go back for another !

The Sentinel
5th July 2004, 09:42 PM
I was expecting three weeks at the very least....