PDA

View Full Version : Roof Racks VS Towbars

Misguidedangel
28th November 2007, 11:32 AM
I'm looking to be carrying bikes around sghortly... just plain old pushies.

Obviously they won't fit in the backseat easily so either roof racks or towbar is required.

with roof racks do i need separate bike carriers to attach to the roof rack or can i buy roof racks with the bike mounting capability??

also where can I find cheap towbars for an Astra?? Preferably brand new... I already have a bike rack so i only need a towbar.

any help would be much appreciated.

Snotty
28th November 2007, 12:06 PM
usually you buy the roof racks then you can get a bike carrier to add on.
check out www.thule.com.au

as for tow bars, doubt there would be anywhere cheap to get them unless you come across them by a chance 2nd hand, i dont think the towing capacity is all that spectacular on an astra hence not all that common to find

both roof racks and towbars ive seen pop up on ebay every once in a while, more so the roof racks

Snotty
28th November 2007, 12:13 PM
http://www.haymanreese.com.au/consumer/catalogue/searchResult.aspx?procat=9&subcat=HOLDEN&model=Astra&year=2001&CateName=TOWBARS+%26+HITCH+RECEIVERS

the price would be ex fitting

Misguidedangel
28th November 2007, 12:34 PM
I can find roof racks at places... but then you've gotta buy the bike carriers separate and its looking at 600 odd dollars to do that, where as it would be cheaper for a tow bar... unless i can find roof racks that are bike carriers alone... hmmm....

Shaun
28th November 2007, 12:35 PM
Tow Bar Em.... Added feature if ever needing to tow a box trailer...

Snotty
28th November 2007, 12:38 PM
towbar certainly would be cheaper. but no rear skirt without modification (or may not be able to get the skirt on at all.
plus roof racks involves lifting the bikes onto the roof, sounds too hard

Misguidedangel
28th November 2007, 12:43 PM
Tow Bar Em.... Added feature if ever needing to tow a box trailer...

hahaha I highly doubt i'll even need to tow anything... haha...

towbar certainly would be cheaper. but no rear skirt without modification (or may not be able to get the skirt on at all.
plus roof racks involves lifting the bikes onto the roof, sounds too hard

thats the only thing, no rear skirt :( but its too freaking hard to get bikes on and off the roof.... me too short LOL

Tfer
28th November 2007, 12:44 PM
I used to have a two bike carrier for my old Veccy B, in which the main frame of the carrier rested on the rear bumper (wrapped in foam so didn't scratch) and had four straps (two which hooked into the top of the rear hatch, and the other two hooked into the bottom of the bumper... all four were adjustable)..... did not need a tow bar, and travelled well, and the other benefit was it was easy to instal and remove, and never got flogged.

Bought it from the local bikeshop.

My 2 cents.....

Snotty
28th November 2007, 12:46 PM
hahaha I highly doubt i'll even need to tow anything... haha...

thats the only thing, no rear skirt :( but its too freaking hard to get bikes on and off the roof.... me too short LOL

you might be able to get away with a skirt and towbar but the skirt will definately need to be cut. i lookedd at getting one to tow a jet ski but all too hard

RudeOne
28th November 2007, 01:41 PM
I used to have a two bike carrier for my old Veccy B, in which the main frame of the carrier rested on the rear bumper (wrapped in foam so didn't scratch) and had four straps (two which hooked into the top of the rear hatch, and the other two hooked into the bottom of the bumper... all four were adjustable)..... did not need a tow bar, and travelled well, and the other benefit was it was easy to instal and remove, and never got flogged.

Bought it from the local bikeshop.

My 2 cents.....

1 particular brand that is popular is the Saris Bones - can get them off ebay for 200-300 bucks delivered -

JR
28th November 2007, 02:33 PM
towbar

if u go with the roof rack, then u gotta lift da bikes on top of ur car, presuming u already haven't knocked ur head a few times.
then u gotta worry bout the height of ur car now cause of the added height, not that u'll b going to an undercover carpark with bikes strapped on ur roof.

as shaun said, u can use the towbar for other uses :)

Misguidedangel
28th November 2007, 03:05 PM
yeah just spoke to my Bike Shop about it.... towbar is the way to go... easier and safer and I just dont trust those strappy bike carriers... knowing my luck i'll lose my bikes driving lol

Lt Ketch
28th November 2007, 03:09 PM
Em go home, pick up your bike, hold it above your head in an upright position, walk around a bit, try not to let it drop! Now you will see how much better a towbar is.

Misguidedangel
28th November 2007, 03:27 PM
haha have to get a bike first ;) haha

but yeh i kinda understand it... and also being a short ass doesnt help haha

Snotty
28th November 2007, 03:40 PM
go the roof racks,
make a ramp from the ground to the bonnet and just ride the bike up the bonnet staright onto the roof racks, no lifiting :D

Misguidedangel
28th November 2007, 03:43 PM
LOL then i'm stuck on the roof and i won't be able to get off hahahaha

blueraven
28th November 2007, 03:53 PM
you can get a towbar from holden for about $350, and it fits the turbo model with only a 5cm x 2cm notch required in the skirt(so you might be ok..). Not that hard to install youself, but you wouldnt get charged more then 100-150 to get it fitted (i fitted it in about an hour and a half, but took it off in 20 min...)

The tang is removable so when its off you cannot even see the thing unless you look hard/bend down.

I have one in my spare room, tried to sell it but now i think i will sell it with the car.

Charlatan
28th November 2007, 08:54 PM
Saris bones.

btm
29th November 2007, 08:48 AM
yeah em. like the pics above shows, you can get a kind of bracket that sits on the back of the car instead of getting a tow bar

Lt Ketch
29th November 2007, 08:57 AM
wont tip it over backwards with all that weight will it? :)

Misguidedangel
29th November 2007, 09:06 AM
But what about visibility? and how hard is it to put on? Really don't want to be fiddling with lots of straps and ****ing it up all the time.

Snotty
29th November 2007, 09:40 AM
i dont trust them, i prefer things that are bolted down, not things that are relying on gravity and straps to hold them there with all that weight.

and my luck i'd lose them on the freeway or something like that lol

Lt Ketch
29th November 2007, 10:23 AM
I had a bike come off a trailer on a freeway, a heart stopping moment as 20 other cars beard down on it at 110kmh!...was more worried about the potential law suit than the bike!

Charlatan
29th November 2007, 10:30 AM
They're fine. Hard the first time to get right, but once you have them set up they are easy. I can have the racks and 2 bikes on in under 5 mins. They are an ingenious design, I cant see they could come off unless you damaged the straps badly and they tore through.

Visibility is fine, just a few bars in the way, and edges of the wheels in the mirrors. The brake lights etc can be seen well enough.

They are not a perfect solution, but a good alternative if you dont want roof racks or a tow bar always there.

Oh, havent scratched my car yet with them and I've had them on there regularly for about 3 years.

Snotty
29th November 2007, 10:50 AM
I had a bike come off a trailer on a freeway, a heart stopping moment as 20 other cars beard down on it at 110kmh!...was more worried about the potential law suit than the bike!

damn straight, i couldnt give a rats about the bikes or anything im towing, its what damage that they cause.

btm
29th November 2007, 10:52 AM
someone on this site has a set of astra g roof racks for sale em

maloo97
29th November 2007, 02:30 PM
Roof Racks em, Head down to vic.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-Roof-Rack-and-Bike-Carrier-system-to-suit-Astra_W0QQitemZ330193641928QQihZ014QQcategoryZ5543 5QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Misguidedangel
29th November 2007, 04:22 PM
Its cheaper to buy brand new than to get to melb and back with them....

maloo97
29th November 2007, 04:27 PM
How much are the roof racks, Go those ones, but dont go tru maccas drive tru

sriboy
30th November 2007, 05:40 PM
Don't get roof racks as put dints in your roof trying to put your bike on the rack!