PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Corvette with S/C LS9

Wraith
28th November 2007, 10:30 AM
Looks like the future 2009 Corvette ZR1 will feature a new supercharged V8 - the 6.2ltr LS9...hot off the heals of the already very potent 7.0ltr LS7 engine.

Looks like an integrated top mounted supercharger and intercooler set up - very neat and compact, good for 500kw, no doubt heaps more potential than that.

I think GM are worried about the new Nissan GT-R hitting the American market as a very affordable supercar and taking sales away from the Corvette, hence this new supercharged version......I wonder if this engine will power future HSV VE Coupes ??? that would be something.... :)

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/26/leaked-corvette-zr1-6-2l-ls9-v8-sees-light-of-day/

xplosv57
28th November 2007, 12:55 PM
OMG!!!!! OMG!!!!! IM HYPERVENTILATING!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is simply awesome, but let me guess, still single cam pushrod engine???

As much as i love GM V8 products (i even own one), i think its time they got a bit more technical instead of just increasing cubic inches!!! (i will regret saying this later on, i love cubes!!)

Wraith
28th November 2007, 01:15 PM
OMG!!!!! OMG!!!!! IM HYPERVENTILATING!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is simply awesome, but let me guess, still single cam pushrod engine???

As much as i love GM V8 products (i even own one), i think its time they got a bit more technical instead of just increasing cubic inches!!! (i will regret saying this later on, i love cubes!!)

I know how you feel, I got a hard on too, when I 1st saw this earlier today and still hard :o it's a very neat and beautiful looking set up.....

As for advancing the V8's design - why ??? it's been attempted before and the result has always been huge cost increases that outweigh any benifits gained - look at Fords O/H cam V8's !!!!

They (GM) are being smart and using the good ol rule "if it ain't broke........" oh and it's a reduction in cubes from the LS7 ;)

Whilst keeping the basic architecture the same as old, the LS1-LS7 family introduced full aluminium engine, 6 bolts mains, double row steel timing chain, full roller cam, lifter and rocker arms, high yield pistions, light weight forged rods (titanium for the LS7) and crank, high flow valve design, ports etc. and more....now the LS9 introduces a beautiful 'built in' supercharger - fantastic :)

Besides, they are achieving all the power, emissions and efficiency figures they want with it as is ;)

I hope this LS9 makes it to Oz. in one vehicle or another :)