PDA

View Full Version : FM Tuners - Ipod

Geebs
27th November 2007, 04:38 PM
I am still peed at the fact I paid $$$$$$ for my car and it doesn't play MP3's but anyway....

I recently bought an FM Adaptor for my Ipod. First used it on Melb - Syd trip and was pretty happy with it. When using it in the city though there is constant interference. In addition, (im not sure if there is something wrong with just my antenna) it seems to go in and out of 'Stereo' mode. Even listening to normal radio stations, ie Fox, Nova etc. You put the station on and it plays ok for a few seconds then its like it goes into Mono mode and there is clearly less treble and mid range....

As a result of my frustrations I have been digging around and found an FM Modulator. Link is here..

http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au/Content_Common/pr-car-kits-for-ipods-and-mp3-players-connects2_car-kits-for-ipod-MP3-ipod-to-FM.seo

Does anyone have one of these or does anyone know how good they are? I rang up and its $299 installed....

Calibrated
27th November 2007, 04:45 PM
That price sounds rather steep for what it is..
but if you want to keep your OEM config, that might be your only option.

unless you use JL Audio Cleansweep or Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty. which will cost a fair bit more.

kaoshunter
27th November 2007, 04:55 PM
I am still peed at the fact I paid $$$$$$ for my car and it doesn't play MP3's but anyway....

I recently bought an FM Adaptor for my Ipod. First used it on Melb - Syd trip and was pretty happy with it. When using it in the city though there is constant interference. In addition, (im not sure if there is something wrong with just my antenna) it seems to go in and out of 'Stereo' mode. Even listening to normal radio stations, ie Fox, Nova etc. You put the station on and it plays ok for a few seconds then its like it goes into Mono mode and there is clearly less treble and mid range....

As a result of my frustrations I have been digging around and found an FM Modulator. Link is here..

http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au/Content_Common/pr-car-kits-for-ipods-and-mp3-players-connects2_car-kits-for-ipod-MP3-ipod-to-FM.seo

Does anyone have one of these or does anyone know how good they are? I rang up and its $299 installed....

Having the aerial at the back of the car dooesn't help, and honestly I find especially in sydney they are starting to use all the bandwidth of the radio. A friend overcome this and run the rca leads for the amp under his seat and up the middle and had a male-female rca connection which he would pull apart and plug his Iriver into the lead running to the amp and just have is music coming from the Iriver

Calibrated
27th November 2007, 05:01 PM
Having the aerial at the back of the car dooesn't help, and honestly I find especially in sydney they are starting to use all the bandwidth of the radio. A friend overcome this and run the rca leads for the amp under his seat and up the middle and had a male-female rca connection which he would pull apart and plug his Iriver into the lead running to the amp and just have is music coming from the Iriver
its not rocket science to figure that one out. people have been doing that for ages..

its a shortcut people use to save costs.

kaoshunter
27th November 2007, 05:05 PM
yeah I know just trying to be helpful is all

Geebs
27th November 2007, 05:08 PM
its not rocket science to figure that one out. people have been doing that for ages..

I didn't know that.... Can someone elaborate..

kaoshunter
27th November 2007, 05:10 PM
It only works if your amp runs the speakers aswell though, if it just runs a subwoofer its pointless.

Geebs
27th November 2007, 05:11 PM
It only works if your amp runs the speakers aswell though, if it just runs a subwoofer its pointless.

Doh..

Calibrated
27th November 2007, 05:13 PM

correct..

basically you replacing the head units signal to the amp with the signal from the iPoo/iRiver/etc.

not the best sound quality, but it works.

Tfer
27th November 2007, 05:13 PM

I have just learnt something about rocket science right here :D

kaoshunter
27th November 2007, 05:24 PM
haha TFER your quick today :p

Red AH SRI T
28th November 2007, 09:24 AM
I have one of these and it is just amazing. Never any interference and if you do get some it has 3 presets (which you choose) so u can easily switch to another station.

http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=3837&

Tfer
28th November 2007, 09:39 AM
haha TFER your quick today :p

:o :o About as slow as they come to this sort of thing :( but I am learning ;) ears open and mouth shut :)

Wraith
28th November 2007, 10:39 AM
Harmon Kardon is your friend....

Drive + Play unit, good price, probably best FM iPod transmitter out there ;)

Next year they're releasing the Drive + Play 2 - that's the one I'm getting :)