PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Problem

immenotu
26th November 2007, 05:06 PM
Just after a bit of advice, does this tyre look safe to drive on? Im thinking it looks a bit dodgy with that big bulge. (Its my spare so im not driving on it)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/immenotu_sri/IMG_0661.jpg

If it is dodgy then im a bit annoyed because it is supposed to be brand new. I replaced a dented mag about 2 months back and kept the dented one as my spare then got this tyre on it when i put the good tyre on the new wheel. Its only cheap so im not expecting performance at all but I dont even think that it would be safe to drive on as a spare. PS I know i didnt damage it because ive never driven on it!

To anyone who knows about tyres, does this look safe or should it be replaced ASAP?

Thanks.

PaulyJ
26th November 2007, 05:45 PM
That should be replaced.
Any sorts of deformaties in a tyre are not safe.

Tfer
26th November 2007, 05:54 PM
That should be replaced.
Any sorts of deformaties in a tyre are not safe.

agreed totally..... replace..... your car is worth more than skimping on one tyre, and no doubt, your insurance cover would be in jeopardy as a result

blueraven
26th November 2007, 06:28 PM
not safe to drive on, use only in an emergency and i wouldnt travel on it faster than 40kph if at all.

the bibble represents dlamination of part of sidewall, meaning the air has now moved past a few layer and is affecting layers with no re-inforcement. meaning any excess heat/pressure will make that puppy blow damn fast ;) .

(been there, done that :( )

xplosv57
26th November 2007, 06:31 PM
If you're saying that tyre is new, then it's more than likely the person who fitted the tyre tore the sidewall when fitting it!! Take it back to where you got the tyre fitted and get them to check it, cos they owe you a new tyre!!!

immenotu
26th November 2007, 06:32 PM
agreed totally..... replace..... your car is worth more than skimping on one tyre, and no doubt, your insurance cover would be in jeopardy as a result

Thats what i thought, its never been on the car, only lived in the boot, and i only noticed the prob today. I think ill go get it replaced tomorrow. Fingers crossed the tyre place will replace it for free as its never been driven on.

PS. I would never skimp on tyres, the 4 i drive (michelin) on cost about $900 :D

immenotu
26th November 2007, 06:32 PM
If you're saying that tyre is new, then it's more than likely the person who fitted the tyre tore the sidewall when fitting it!! Take it back to where you got the tyre fitted and get them to check it, cos they owe you a new tyre!!!

thats what ill be doing for sure!!!

btm
27th November 2007, 08:57 AM
yep, take it back

they should be able to tell straight away that its never been driven on

immenotu
27th November 2007, 09:01 AM
yep, take it back

only problem is it looks like they might have done the dirty and not put a new tyre on, the edges of all the tread blocks are worn slightly, not a clean cut like a new tyre normally has.

They also didnt give me a receipt which i didnt think much of at the time so i'll see how i go.

InsaneAsylum
27th November 2007, 09:02 AM
yep, take it back

yeah... depends on the tyre joint

a dodgy one will tell him to take a walk, a reputable one will replace it at no charge

immenotu
27th November 2007, 09:04 AM
yeah... depends on the tyre joint

a dodgy one will tell him to take a walk, a reputable one will replace it at no charge

was tyrepower so are fairly reputable

btm
27th November 2007, 09:06 AM
well good luck and let us know how you go

immenotu
27th November 2007, 05:00 PM
Went in to the tyre place this arvo. The guy was quite helpful. Said they have the rep coming in tomorrow and he will get him to look at it then sort it out for me (which i take as meaning i get a new tyre)

Funny *read annoying* thing is that he thinks whoever put the tyre on picked up one that was already marked as having a fault. :clap: :confused: It even has the chalk mark on the treadface to mark where the lump is!

So anyway, should hear back tomorrow about what they are going to do. Good thing i still have my old spare just incase.

btm
27th November 2007, 05:15 PM
sounds like it'll all be working out for the best

SaInT
27th November 2007, 05:22 PM
i just checked my spare after this thread and its flat,, ooops.

immenotu
27th November 2007, 05:26 PM
i just checked my spare after this thread and its flat,, ooops.

Glad this thread helped you out :D.

Note to everyone, go and check your spare!!!

immenotu
28th November 2007, 04:48 PM
Just picked up my wheel, new tyre free of charge so all is good! :)

PaulyJ
28th November 2007, 05:19 PM
Thats good to hear

btm
29th November 2007, 08:49 AM
great outcome

Huhness
30th November 2007, 09:53 AM
I don't have a spare... :(

btm
30th November 2007, 11:29 AM

isnt that illegal?

Huhness
30th November 2007, 11:30 AM
isnt that illegal?
Not for me..

immenotu
30th November 2007, 11:30 AM
isnt that illegal?

i wouldn't know about illegal but isn't it a bit silly :)

Huhness
30th November 2007, 11:31 AM
i wouldn't know about illegal but isn't it a bit silly :)
Not for me..

immenotu
30th November 2007, 11:32 AM
Not for me..

Are you special :p

Huhness
30th November 2007, 11:32 AM
If you say so! :D

btm
30th November 2007, 11:37 AM

he used to ride the short bus to school :p

Huhness
30th November 2007, 11:38 AM
he used to ride the short bus to school :p
I got more leg room!

Wraith
30th November 2007, 12:17 PM

+1

ie: In the case of my astra, no jack either - those spaces are occupied by ICE :D

I have a can of tyre mend, just in case, even works without the use of a jack :)

Huhness
30th November 2007, 12:18 PM
+1

ie: In the case of my astra, no jack either - those spaces are occupied by ICE :D

I have a can of tyre mend, just in case, even works without the use of a jack :)
Hmmm good idea! :clap:

immenotu
30th November 2007, 12:21 PM
I have a 5th mag as my spare, doesn't fit in the hole properly :D but looks sweet when you open the hatch! Gotta finish my false floor one day :)

Wraith
30th November 2007, 12:24 PM
I have a 5th mag as my spare, doesn't fit in the hole properly :D but looks sweet when you open the hatch! Gotta finish my false floor one day :)

That's also a very good idea :clap: I like that one and yes it would look good :)

Huhness
30th November 2007, 12:25 PM
Take a page out of diabolicals book and just remove your interior.. Then you don't have to finish anything...

immenotu
30th November 2007, 12:28 PM
Take a page out of diabolicals book and just remove your interior.. Then you don't have to finish anything...

Haha, that could work if you could get over all the rattles and road noise. But hey, that's what the volumne control on the cd player is for :D

Wraith
30th November 2007, 12:34 PM

Oh no......that's not a very good look :)

EL BURITO
30th November 2007, 01:18 PM
Oh no......that's not a very good look :)
but so much fun when there is no weight in the rear.

immenotu
30th November 2007, 01:21 PM
had the base of my rear seat, the linings off the tailgate and the parcel shelf out the other day trying to find a squeak ive got somewhere. Couldn't believe how loud the car was without them:eek: . Could hear the exhaust (stock) at idle, normally you cant even tell the car is turned on at idle!!!

EL BURITO
30th November 2007, 01:34 PM
and then you also here the fuel sloshing around too

Wraith
30th November 2007, 01:42 PM
and then you also here the fuel sloshing around too

hahaha LOL if your on a near empty tank, you get that anyway from most cars, especially if your cornerring hard :)

PaulyJ
30th November 2007, 01:48 PM
hahaha LOL if your on a near empty tank, you get that anyway from most cars, especially if your cornerring hard :)

I must not corner hard enough...

immenotu
30th November 2007, 01:50 PM
I must not corner hard enough...

me either...

Wraith
30th November 2007, 04:23 PM
Either that or your tank ain't empty enough :)

It helps if it's quiet and your stereo isn't on, or your ears need the wax cleaned out :p

Seriously though, even happens when you brake really hard on a near empty tank, you hear it :)

immenotu
30th November 2007, 04:25 PM
...It helps if it's quiet and your stereo isn't on...

Thats not gonna happen :D As good as sloshing fuel might sound, there has to be music!