PDA

View Full Version : Lets Salivate and Imagine

Orion_996
22nd November 2007, 12:07 PM
Just read this, sounds promising, too bad its not coming here:

All-new four-wheel-drive Vauxhall super-saloon is gunning for Audi

Menacing front end comprises a jutting nose, V-shaped grille, mesh air intakes and stylish headlights

Calling all performance car fans – Vauxhall is building a quattro!

The firm is replacing its top-selling Vectra next year with an all-new family model called the Insignia, and this is the stunning flagship VXR version. What’s more, the performance variant is being tipped to give the Audi S4 a serious run for its money.

It will usher in a raft of firsts for Vauxhall, with a choice of turbocharged V6 petrol or diesel engines, mated to a new four-wheel-drive system.

Costing £25,000 and available in saloon, hatch and estate bodystyles, the Insignia VXR line-up will offer similar performance to Audi’s sporty A4 variants, but with more practicality – and at a fraction of the price.

The new range makes its world debut at the British Motor Show in July, but top-spec VXR versions are still 18 months away. However, General Motors’ engineers are well advanced with the new cars’ development.

One thing is for sure: they will be even more aggressive to look at than the current models. Our pictures, which are based on exclusive inside information, show what buyers can expect from the saloon.

Taking the striking look of the Insignia – which was previewed by the GTC concept at the Geneva Motor Show earlier this year – the VXR version adds a meaty bodykit. At the front, the jutting nose gets a body-coloured V-shaped grille, complete with sporty mesh air intakes. The streamlined headlamps get black surrounds, while the ground-hugging front bumper has integral spotlights.

The sporty feel continues in profile, with low side skirts, 19-inch alloy wheels and a sharply curved roof that flows down to a rakish tailgate.

At the rear, a subtle bootlid spoiler and twin chrome exhausts finish the look. Inside, the cabin will draw its inspiration from the GTC, with deep-set dials backlit in red, a chunky three-spoke steering wheel and figure-
hugging sports seats. As with the rest of the range, material quality will rival that of prestige marques.

The Insignia is based on GM’s new Epsilon 2 platform, and it will be larger than the Vectra it replaces. As well as more space, the new chassis will bring other benefits, most notably improved driving dynamics. And each model will get a revised version of the current Vectra VXR’s electronic adaptive dampers, allowing a choice of Comfort or Sport settings.

The big change, however, will be the introduction of an electronically controlled four-wheel-drive transmission. Debuted on the GTC, the new drivetrain can vary torque front to rear, and vice versa, according to which wheels have the most grip. It also incorporates a limited-slip differential to ensure maximum traction.

And that’s just as well, because a 2.8-litre twin-turbocharged V6 petrol engine will power the flagship Insignia VXR. Eclipsing the current model’s 276bhp output, the newcomer will boast in excess of 300bhp – resulting in a 0-60mph time of only 5.5 seconds and a 165mph top speed. With the benefit of revised active suspension and all-wheel drive, it will be at home on twisty roads in a way that its unruly front-wheel-drive pre*decessor never was.

As a significant amount of sales will go to company drivers, Vauxhall will also launch a 247bhp 2.9-litre V6 turbodiesel variant. Both models get a new six-speed manual box as stan*dard. Equipment will be impressive, with integrated sat-nav, hands-free telephone and audio technology.

The Insignia also promises to be the first Vauxhall to get the new Traffic Assist System. This uses radar and video to scan the road ahead, and slows the car automatically if it senses that a collision is likely. (AutoExpress)

Tfer
22nd November 2007, 12:12 PM
Seems to be a montage of a number of different cars..... but yup, seems nice :D

Tfer
22nd November 2007, 12:14 PM
Oh and if it is replacing the Vectra, why does the rear number plate say..... Vectra VXR? :rolleyes:

Orion_996
22nd November 2007, 12:23 PM
Haha, good call, i didn't even notice that.

Red AH SRI T
22nd November 2007, 12:36 PM
HOT HOT HOT!

I believe the rear end of this CGI is very close to the real thing but the front isn't quite right

oneightoo
22nd November 2007, 12:41 PM
bonnet needs to eb longer, like come down to the v-grill

bornwild
22nd November 2007, 12:42 PM
Oh and if it is replacing the Vectra, why does the rear number plate say..... Vectra VXR? :rolleyes:

In germany it's still a Vectra...maybe someone forgot to chop the Vectra off the numberplate.

Red AH SRI T
22nd November 2007, 12:46 PM
bonnet needs to eb longer, like come down to the v-grill

I agree. It looks too much like the Toyota Yaris with the bonnet opening half way up the bonnet

Wraith
22nd November 2007, 12:47 PM
That is very nice and about f#*#*#g time Opel released something better !

I like it :) hopefully it handles better (alot better) than the current VXR Vecce :rolleyes:

And hopefully Opel incorporate some of those goodies (AWD etc.) into an Astra.......that would be nice ;)

btm
22nd November 2007, 12:51 PM
that does look kinda cool!

promising anyway

imay
22nd November 2007, 01:28 PM
Looks like a photosphopped TRD Camry/Aurion in Arden Blue!!!

Greg K
22nd November 2007, 01:51 PM
i want one!!

Ishley
22nd November 2007, 01:56 PM
HOLY SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If HSV get on this boat of importing Opel's/Vauxhall's of the VXR variety. I see no reason why they would not import this.

HSV go on and on about how thye prefer keeping the large car "theme", this would more then fit and give a great alternative. As well as catering for a person looking for the Euro performance car. And judging by the pricing of the Euro model. It would look to have a RRP of about $60,000 here! Thats STi/EVO/R32 territory.

I WANT I WANT I WANT

Red AH SRI T
22nd November 2007, 03:22 PM
HOLY SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WANT I WANT I WANT

*Passes Ash the tissues*

Wraith
22nd November 2007, 04:35 PM
And judging by the pricing of the Euro model. It would look to have a RRP of about $60,000 here! Thats STi/EVO/R32 territory.

I WANT I WANT I WANT

If what your envisaging above happens, it'll have to be a mighty impressive vehicle to compete with those others listed above, especially the Jap brigade, it won't be able to rely on looks alone, if it's in the same price bracket, as the Evo and Sti are going to continually get better in the looks department and are almost second to none in the performance department ;)

poita
22nd November 2007, 07:44 PM
looks like a photoshop of the supposed new calibra that coming out with rear doors added. turbo awd v6 YES FUKING PLEASE!!!!
the calibra would go for this i'd say!

Wraith
22nd November 2007, 08:14 PM
turbo awd v6 YES FUKING PLEASE!!!!
the calibra would go for this i'd say!

I here you there fellow Cali owner :) aaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh :drool:

coyotte
22nd November 2007, 09:24 PM
Id prefer the GM Torana, just not in pink.

btm
23rd November 2007, 02:58 PM

i 2nd that opinion

Wraith
23rd November 2007, 04:43 PM

I 3rd that opinion ;)

And I like the 'hot pink' clour too :o :D

btm
23rd November 2007, 05:17 PM
agree that it does look good in that pink... not sure if i could drive around in it though

Calibrated
23rd November 2007, 05:49 PM
Looks Hot! I'd prefer to see it with an Opel grillethough!

Calibrated
23rd November 2007, 05:51 PM
GTC Concept. Opel Grille always looks better :p
http://smgenglish.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/16/opel_gtc_concept.jpg

poita
23rd November 2007, 06:23 PM
here is the pictures i was talking about of teh supposed new calibra
mor info here http://autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/209398/sleek_calibra_lives_again.html

http://autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_440/car_photo_220224_5.jpg
http://autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_440/car_photo_220223_5.jpg

Ishley
23rd November 2007, 06:43 PM
If what your envisaging above happens, it'll have to be a mighty impressive vehicle to compete with those others listed above, especially the Jap brigade, it won't be able to rely on looks alone, if it's in the same price bracket, as the Evo and Sti are going to continually get better in the looks department and are almost second to none in the performance department ;)
According to the stats listed, and the price range i am guessing it would be in over here. Then i think it would be considered part of that sector. May not be the best contender, but certainly would give the others a scare. . .