PDA

View Full Version : Australia to Produce It's Own Top Gear

MatsHolden
19th November 2007, 11:17 PM
This will delight many of you...
Australia has become the first country to obtain the rights to produce a local Top Gear.
Will screen on SBS in '08.

More here...
http://www.smh.com.au/news/tv--radio/australia-to-produce-own-version-of-show/2007/11/19/1195321658126.html

tuzinski
19th November 2007, 11:23 PM
ill be the stig! [=

i really like top gear and having a aussie version is a even bigger bonus!

Shaun
19th November 2007, 11:35 PM
I just heard that on the radio on the way home...
Its about time we got a real car review show.

poita
19th November 2007, 11:43 PM
the only thing that concerns me is who is gonna host it?
being on SBS that would mean half the cast of Fat Pizza will be on it, more than likely pauly and habib!
but i dont think the reviews will be favourable, i haven't seen a murcellagio or Ferrai F355 with a dose pipe yet.......

bornwild
19th November 2007, 11:51 PM
This will be good. BBC won't allow for some shit hosts to do it. Can't wait to watch it! Think Top Gear but from an Aussie perspective...ooo yeahhhh :D

EL BURITO
20th November 2007, 12:03 AM
The series will be produced by Freehand Productions, BBC Worldwide's Australasian partner,

looks like there will be some control from BBC

i would like to know who the prospective hosts are

jsantos
20th November 2007, 12:16 AM
This will either be amazing, or terrible.

skulless
20th November 2007, 01:00 AM
well, they could never be better than the original hosts, i doubt anyone will. but supercars? where are we gonna get so many cars to be review, or it's just hsv, fpv, hsv, fpv, hsv, fpv :D

EL BURITO
20th November 2007, 01:34 AM
i can imagine them importing story's from the UK thinking about it

SIMid
20th November 2007, 08:17 AM
Whos that Jazz player that tried to host his own motoring show about 10yrs ago and bombed out?

That was crap.

btm
20th November 2007, 08:29 AM
like most aussie versions of UK or US shows... i can only really see this being crap :(

Black Nugget
20th November 2007, 09:10 AM
like most aussie versions of UK or US shows... i can only really see this being crap :(

I agree if any of the past ones are to go by....wooden acting, no flair(so as not to upset car makers), terrible camera work and god aweful puns... i think it'll be shite.

Does anyone remember drive Tv where they tried to do a top gear take off with the bald guy and the chick...total flop, there pretend stig was rubbish, all the stories were boring and the studio audience was like 5 people.

oneightoo
20th November 2007, 09:42 AM
as long as glen ridge doesnt do it it'll be alright haha..

they just need someone who cant talk to the audience, not to the camera..

btm
20th November 2007, 09:45 AM
as long as glen ridge doesnt do it it'll be alright haha..

or matt shervington :p

oneightoo
20th November 2007, 09:47 AM
or the guys from Hi-5

imay
20th November 2007, 10:10 AM
Also heard/read somewhere very recently that Clarkson, Hamster and May are coming out here in 2008 to do a bit of filming/shows in the eastern states (Melb, Syd and Brissy). You guys over there keep your eyes on the Press while I see if I can re-locate the article. I'm sure it even had tentative dates in it . . . sort of lost interest when I realised that the best state of all was once again being overlooked!

oneightoo
20th November 2007, 10:12 AM
sort of lost interest when I realised that the best state of all was once again being overlooked!

what? WA? it's alright there, but i wouldnt say it's the best state.. eastern states are better :p

Noir
20th November 2007, 10:14 AM
I can only see this as being a BAD thing. :rolleyes:

Ishley
20th November 2007, 10:19 AM
Thinking about it..... Who would they get to host the program?

Any thoughts from anybody as to who would be a GOOD host?

I think it would almost certainly have to be somebody that is/was in the motoring industry, that already has decent credability. Someone who does not care about which manufactor'ers they offend.

Someone that wont panzy up the reviews. Actually tell us that the car is shite and handles like a large women on a moped.

I hope and pray it turns out to be awesome. Because shows like Drive Time and The Car Show were pathetic. What does Glen Ridge now about cars? Apart from they look pretty spinning as a prize on a game show!

oneightoo
20th November 2007, 10:20 AM
lets see the pilot first hey..

you never know, it might just be alright..

with the right host, and no sense of "oh gosh darnit i just upset the bosses at holden" it'll be a winner..

oneightoo
20th November 2007, 10:24 AM
Thinking about it..... Who would they get to host the program?

vote one for Lano and Woodly..

btm
20th November 2007, 10:24 AM

pick me, pick me :)

USC
20th November 2007, 10:29 AM
I dont think it will be any good without the usual crew..Jeremy etc...Thats half of the reason why I watch it...cos I really like their sense of humour!

oneightoo
20th November 2007, 10:30 AM
get aggro to host it

Ishley
20th November 2007, 10:51 AM
I thought someone like the late Stan Zamanek. He didnt give a rats arse who he offended, which is what they need. Oh and a similar sense of humour like already said would be chipper!

Someone who doesnt have any loyalties or bias to any one brand......

Shaun
20th November 2007, 10:55 AM
or the guys from Hi-5

But if they get the girls from Hi 5 to Host it then the ratings will go through the roof...

Shaun
20th November 2007, 11:01 AM
Lock in Eddie McGuire or No deal Andrew O Keefe for the hosting role...

The need to take a different angle.No point in emulating Clarskon Hamster and May. It needs its own flare that Australian Public will relate to. Sure Top Gear thats filmed in the UK has a colt following but thats because they are acting normal for what the english public . Hence why Australian Version will need its own flare and spice.

Maybe someone like Warren or Ian Luff could be a Host. Both can drive and are very respected in the reviews they have produced.

GreyRex
20th November 2007, 11:06 AM
Interesting news. Should be good. I really hope all the ingredients are there to produce a top show...

reedaaron
20th November 2007, 11:36 AM
Maybe someone like Warren or Ian Luff could be a Host. Both can drive and are very respected in the reviews they have produced.

they definitely need to be able to drive.. no point being shit at driving for this kind of show.. i suppose we'll all just have to wait and see...

Ishley
20th November 2007, 11:57 AM
Jim Richards, Dick Johnson, Larry Perkins..... Craig Lowndes.

oneightoo
20th November 2007, 12:12 PM
lowndes doesnt suit television.. he can drive, but thats it..

andrew o'keefe is annoying..

what about this panel?

the professional driver - greg murphy (he's funny, can drive, is witty, will win the NZ market)

the host - Dicko (do you really think he'd hold back on anything? he is a toss, but he can be really funny)

co-hosts - dunno but as long as grant denyer isnt involved i'll be happy

Black Nugget
20th November 2007, 12:21 PM
ingall and skaife is the best i can think of,would give it some aussie flair and are both charismatic and at each others throat...did anyone see them when they were on V8superstars?

That said neither of them would have the wittiness or overall camera skill that clarkson and co have.

The only definite i can see is if it went commerical, grant denyer filling the position of the hamster ......(sorry oneightoo but he is the smallest car related person we have)

oneightoo
20th November 2007, 12:25 PM
i hate denyer!!!! lol

Shaun
20th November 2007, 12:25 PM
ingall and skaife is the best i can think of,would give it some aussie flair and are both charismatic and at each others throat...did anyone see them when they were on V8superstars?

That said neither of them would have the wittiness or overall camera skill that clarkson and co have.

The only definite i can see is if it went commerical, grant denyer filling the position of the hamster ......(sorry oneightoo but he is the smallest car related person we have)

With there commitments to V8 Supercars and the Broadcast for V8 Supercars being owned by V8 Supercar TV i think it would conflict some where along the lines.
There other commitments to the Manafacturers could play a part in there comments due to they are both paid by there respective Manafacturers. Skaife is involved in the HSV Product testing and development.

How ever it would make some interesting TV

Shaun
20th November 2007, 12:26 PM
Jim Richards, Dick Johnson, Larry Perkins..... Craig Lowndes.

Jim Richards could do the testing...../

Apex
20th November 2007, 12:56 PM
http://www.cricket.org/db/PICTURES/CMS/51800/51866.jpg

Well this guy kinda looks like Clarkson. Im sure he hosted a show in the 90’s

Ausi Top-Gear would be rude..From a Kiwi’ perspective anyway.

Apex
20th November 2007, 12:59 PM
Here is Hamond

http://standanddeliver.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/rove_2.jpg

Now to find May.. We could just die John Farnham’s hair. :D

Black Nugget
20th November 2007, 01:03 PM
http://www.cricket.org/db/PICTURES/CMS/51800/51866.jpg

lol at mike whitney,of gladiators and who dares win fame!

He does sydney weekender.....he is a bit fat and old now.

that said he did last chance learners which wasn't that bad....

Apex
20th November 2007, 01:24 PM
[quote=Black Nugget;268986]

he is a bit fat and old now.

[quote]

So is Clarkson :D

Black Nugget
20th November 2007, 01:26 PM
[quote=Black Nugget;268986]

he is a bit fat and old now.

quote]

So is Clarkson :D

true that....so lets forget mike and go straight to boonie:D

GreyRex
20th November 2007, 01:31 PM
We all seem to be talking about men hosting the show... how about adding a woman? I find Vicki Butler-Henderson entertaining. If we could find a woman who is charismatic, entertaining, oh... and can drive, that'd be fun

MatsHolden
20th November 2007, 01:55 PM
We all seem to be talking about men hosting the show... how about adding a woman? I find Vicki Butler-Henderson entertaining. If we could find a woman who is charismatic, entertaining, oh... and can drive, that'd be fun

lol can't stand her. Maybe someone like a Melinda Price or along those lines.

Ishley
20th November 2007, 02:03 PM
Really i think she is awesome.

I have never known any female to throw around a car like she does! Only one close that i know of is maybe Dee lol

Huhness
20th November 2007, 02:05 PM
Huh i thought we already had an Australian version of Top Gear!!???

THE CAR SHOW!!!

http://thecarshow.carpoint.com.au/portals/t/thecarshowAU/home_img.jpg

On todays episode, we tell you to buy cars which drive like shit but people have paid us to talk up! DID WE MENTION PAID ADS?? :rolleyes:

I can't see this being all that great?? The Australian version won't be able to do the outrageous things the UK show does... :( Will they have their own race track???

USC
20th November 2007, 02:17 PM
Huh i thought we already had an Australian version of Top Gear!!???

THE CAR SHOW!!!

http://thecarshow.carpoint.com.au/portals/t/thecarshowAU/home_img.jpg

On todays episode, we tell you to buy cars which drive like shit but people have paid us to talk up! DID WE MENTION PAID ADS?? :rolleyes:

I can't see this being all that great?? The Australian version won't be able to do the outrageous things the UK show does... :( Will they have their own race track???

and have a brand new shit box they can race around their own track....I dont think it will happen here...also, a lot of european cars wont be available to test.

MatsHolden
20th November 2007, 02:36 PM
and have a brand new shit box they can race around their own track....I dont think it will happen here...also, a lot of european cars wont be available to test.

It's been given the go ahead... With the funds of the BBC i'm sure plenty of top shelf machinery will be available for testing.

bornwild
20th November 2007, 03:06 PM
Get Shane Warne to host it and you can't go wrong :)

Tfer
20th November 2007, 03:10 PM
lets see the pilot first hey..

you never know, it might just be alright..

with the right host, and no sense of "oh gosh darnit i just upset the bosses at holden" it'll be a winner..

Agreed.... never know until you see it ;)

btm
20th November 2007, 03:24 PM
i hate denyer!!!! lol

denyer is a shire boy

who are the chicks that usually drive alright in the BMW celebrity race thingy? one of them could host

blueraven
20th November 2007, 05:28 PM
i really hope this doesnt tank....

but then the chances of it being watchable are very, very slim.

jsantos
20th November 2007, 05:42 PM
Neil Crompton, maybe one of the guys from speedweek. Crompton would be better though.
Get some people that understand on-air chemistry.
He can also drive.
Dicko or really anyone from australian idol "thank god your here" or anything similar shouldn't be considered at all. Ever.
Also people with affiliations with any manufacturer are out.
Stand up commedians out.
Anyone that was on "The car show" out.
Vicy on top gear is quite cool, finding female car presenters of her calibre would be hard though i'd imagine.

It will definatly be hard to find someone decent.

Chemistery is the key. And someone who has an emotional range and can make the viewer feel as though they are vicariously experiencing the car thats being reviewed. Rather then feel like they are reading a view on carpoint or looking at some statistics on a peice of paper.

Thinking about it a character like Shane Crawford might have what it takes. He might play football at the moment. He seems to have what it takes to be a media personality though.

Reasonably priced car
The new holden barina - Sticking to the rebadged korean crap principal.

xplosv57
20th November 2007, 06:32 PM
Merrick and Russo should do it, it'd be one hell funny series then!!! Or the Fat Pizza guys, they can do sik burnouts uleh!!!!

And i'll volunteer my services for the role of The Stig!!!!!!!

I can't see this being as popular as the original series, because some of the funny bits are typically British!!!

Plus they have access to everything in Europe, all the cars there, whereas the only advantage of having it here is more aussie built Holdens and Fords!!!!!!!

Ben Cousins would also be a good inclusion seeing as he's out of work for next year!!

poita
20th November 2007, 07:51 PM
read my first post xplosv :p

they could get corrine grant, or Julia Zemiro from rockwiz :)

pred8r
20th November 2007, 09:42 PM
I hope they use this guy - Dieter Kahsnitz he used to host a show on CH31 in Melbourne called "The C word". He was an absolute pisser, bagged the crap out of a honda roadbike and they were the shows sponsor.

Link here (http://www.wasabitv.com.au/?viewcontent=THECWORD) to download episodes - I didnt see all of them but they were all pretty good.

http://www.wasabitv.com.au/media/thumbs/thecword/s2/ep2.jpg

Was later picked up for the car show on 9, hope his contract is up and SBS grab him.....

Vectracious
20th November 2007, 10:19 PM
I hope it works, but for some reason I don't think it will

yes I know I know, should be more supportive, but I just cant help but think it will just be slightly better than the Car Show....

JC, RH and JM all are big car freaks and they all own some decent machinery, plus they've been in broadcasting for ages so are good at that - who in Australia is a big car freak - can only think if Glenn Ridge and Lindsay Fox at the moment, and Glenn Ridge is boring, and Lindsay Fox is a dickhead (albeit a successful one).

I try not to think of it in terms of the English show (being Aussie, we should not make a carbon copy of the English one - ie lets not have a loud mouthed non PC guy vs the good guy vs a goofy guy) but because it works so well, its hard not to.

As for Vicky Butler Henderson - I agree with Mat - she is annoying and I can't stand her on 5th gear, although Tiff is even worse....

jsantos
20th November 2007, 10:36 PM
they could get corrine grant, or Julia Zemiro from rockwiz :)

I hope your joking....

Ishley
20th November 2007, 10:47 PM
All Aussie version of Top Gear. The hosts should be Kath & Kim, also Chopper Reed.

Would be gold!

poita
20th November 2007, 11:18 PM
chopper reed!!!
that reminds me, i need to put up another pic of my mo!

Vectracious
21st November 2007, 12:43 AM
If he wasn't a big famous movie star - Eric Bana would be a good host - funny and a petrol head!!

MatsHolden
21st November 2007, 12:44 AM
If he wasn't a big famous movie star - Eric Bana would be a good host - funny and a petrol head!!

Oh mate, that'd be perfect!

Shaun
21st November 2007, 01:57 AM

Leanne Tander would be one i would like to see on the show. She CAN DRIVE!!!

Shaun
21st November 2007, 02:02 AM
Neil Crompton, maybe one of the guys from speedweek. Crompton would be better though.
Get some people that understand on-air chemistry.
He can also drive.
Dicko or really anyone from australian idol "thank god your here" or anything similar shouldn't be considered at all. Ever.
Also people with affiliations with any manufacturer are out.
Stand up commedians out.
Anyone that was on "The car show" out.
Vicy on top gear is quite cool, finding female car presenters of her calibre would be hard though i'd imagine.

It will definatly be hard to find someone decent.

Chemistery is the key. And someone who has an emotional range and can make the viewer feel as though they are vicariously experiencing the car thats being reviewed. Rather then feel like they are reading a view on carpoint or looking at some statistics on a peice of paper.

Thinking about it a character like Shane Crawford might have what it takes. He might play football at the moment. He seems to have what it takes to be a media personality though.

Reasonably priced car
The new holden barina - Sticking to the rebadged korean crap principal.

Cromption is tired to V8 Supercar TV under Contract i believe. (Yes the V8 Supercar Australia have there own TV Department. Network 7 Happens to have the rights to present the program)

The Barina fits the resonably priced car factor.

Shaun
21st November 2007, 02:03 AM
Why dont we just bring in the Australian Idol Judges and be done with it. Dicko Mark Holden Kyle and Marsha. dicko can do the serious stuff. Mark Holden can bring out the touch down when a car preforms well . Kyle can spice it up alittle and Marsh can be the fence sitter on the Top Gear Car of the Year...

On A Serious note though I wonder if there will be a spin off of the Magazine as well in Australia.

Dave
21st November 2007, 02:30 AM
Why not get some local bogan nuts......... all the show will consist of is v8's and burnouts :D

oneightoo
21st November 2007, 07:28 AM
get the guys from blokesworld to host it..

btm
21st November 2007, 08:31 AM
but then the chances of it being watchable are very, very slim.

cause its on SBS and the reception is shit? :D

Black Nugget
21st November 2007, 08:43 AM
Yeh crompton wouldn't be too bad, does anyone here watch panelbeaters?

cas there is some good on air chemistry between him and brad jones, they would make a pretty decent duo.

Red AH SRI T
21st November 2007, 09:27 AM
cause its on SBS and the reception is shit? :D

cause you live in the sticks?

btm
21st November 2007, 10:03 AM

:rolleyes:

oneightoo
21st November 2007, 10:27 AM

hahaha he kinda does..

you know it..

thankgod for foxtel!

Skribble
21st November 2007, 10:54 AM
Josh Young or Beau Yates would be interesting.

Huhness
21st November 2007, 11:03 AM
get the guys from blokesworld to host it..
Cars and Strippers... Yes please!
It will be interesting to see if any of the fat pizza guys get a role in this! hahaha

poita
21st November 2007, 11:04 AM
victor bray?

oneightoo
21st November 2007, 11:08 AM
David tench?

bornwild
21st November 2007, 11:10 AM
Jenna Jameson?

btm
21st November 2007, 11:17 AM
Josh Young or Beau Yates would be interesting.

beau yates is a good mate of mine, kind of a different style of driving he has though to what they'd be after maybe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K1IYZBGrWI

poita
21st November 2007, 11:39 AM
reg reagan would be awesome!

so btm, wat does he think of Bulger :p:p

bornwild
21st November 2007, 12:59 PM
beau yates is a good mate of mine, kind of a different style of driving he has though to what they'd be after maybe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K1IYZBGrWI

Drifting is exactly what they need.

oneightoo
21st November 2007, 01:04 PM
some who can drift is more what they need..

who wants to know how well a car can slide all over the place? i think most people would like their cars to stay on the road..

so, what is needed, is someone who can drive, someone who can really open it up for the WOW factor, and someone who can relate to everyone watching..

btm
21st November 2007, 01:19 PM
so, what is needed, is someone who can drive, someone who can really open it up for the WOW factor, and someone who can relate to everyone watching..
very few and far between!

bornwild
21st November 2007, 01:21 PM
We need Jeremy Clarksons aussie twin brother! :)

oneightoo
21st November 2007, 01:22 PM
omg imagine two clarksons!!

the world not big enough for two..

btm
21st November 2007, 01:37 PM
so btm, wat does he think of Bulger :p:p
as in Robbie?

Snotty
21st November 2007, 01:38 PM
hotdogs from big brother

poita
21st November 2007, 02:14 PM
yer BTM, thats who i mean

Red AH SRI T
21st November 2007, 05:37 PM

Well you do live in "the shire" :p

Red AH SRI T
21st November 2007, 05:38 PM
Oh, Maybe Bert and Patty Newton should host it?

xplosv57
21st November 2007, 06:50 PM
Yeah get Robbie Bolger to be in it somehow, he knows how to thrash a car or two, and make it look good!!!! Plus he's a funny guy!!!

Shaun
21st November 2007, 07:38 PM
The Girls in BTM's Signature with the Kegs !!!!

btm
22nd November 2007, 08:30 AM

i like your thinking :)

Black Nugget
22nd November 2007, 09:35 AM

Isn't that ralph tv then....lol.

coyotte
23rd November 2007, 10:33 AM
"The Stig" could be renamed "The Hoon" and would suit Grant Denyer in tinted full face helmut as he is contracted to Channel 7.

Shaun
27th November 2007, 10:54 AM
"The Stig" could be renamed "The Hoon" and would suit Grant Denyer in tinted full face helmut as he is contracted to Channel 7.

He needs a couple of phone books to sit on to see over the dash !!!

GreyRex
17th December 2007, 09:43 AM
Thought everyone might be interested in this. Hope the link works. A call has been put out to the Australian public to put their hand up to be part of the show...

http://www21.sbs.com.au/topgear/

immenotu
17th December 2007, 09:56 AM
Quoted from website - "NOT a clone of the magnificent and simply unique Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond or James May. We’re looking for Australia’s own Top Gear faces. Of course you could be a clone of The Stig."

Sounds promising, glad they aren't going to copy the British version (hopefully).

btm
17th December 2007, 10:41 AM
saw the ads on tv the other night about auditions, would be a lot of fun :)

xplosv57
17th December 2007, 06:10 PM
I'll host it, it'll be one heck of a job and will get me out of my current job haha!!!!

poita
17th December 2007, 08:46 PM
Top Gear Australia - Does it Dose?

SIMid
17th December 2007, 10:11 PM
Whos gonna send in their video?