PDA

View Full Version : Beat this for a speeding ticket ...

daaaaavek
14th November 2007, 10:03 AM
Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 550 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

"Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defence system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed.

Good Day..."

btm
14th November 2007, 10:16 AM
a true story?

jet would have had to of been 5 metres off the ground to get picked up on the radar!

MatsHolden
14th November 2007, 11:56 AM
a true story?

jet would have had to of been 5 metres off the ground to get picked up on the radar!

Could be. Happend in Victoria, an old Laser I think it was from memory was clocked at 200km/h, turned out the cop had got a light plane landing on a private airstrip in a paddock adjacent to the road.

btm
14th November 2007, 12:49 PM
Could be. Happend in Victoria, an old Laser I think it was from memory was clocked at 200km/h, turned out the cop had got a light plane landing on a private airstrip in a paddock adjacent to the road.

HA! really, that'd be so funny

imagine getting pulled over in some shitbox that cant get over 110 km/h and the copper going "do you know you were doing 200km/h back there"

just to be able to laugh in face and go "you've got to be shitting me... must have been stuck in 2nd gear" :D

Wraith
14th November 2007, 01:32 PM
That could most definitely be true, however the Tornados or any other combat aircrafts weapons systems would not ever be on 'hot' stutus whilst flying routine training or other missions over populated or not populated friendly territory ;)

Just good ol sarcasm from one group to another...... :D

bornwild
18th November 2007, 12:20 AM
That could most definitely be true, however the Tornados or any other combat aircrafts weapons systems would not ever be on 'hot' stutus whilst flying routine training or other missions over populated or not populated friendly territory ;)

Not so true...at least in America. :p

Recently, they carried loaded nuclear missiles on a trip from one base to another in the US. Idiots...

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/09/05/loose.nukes/index.html

xplosv57
18th November 2007, 11:23 AM
HA! really, that'd be so funny

imagine getting pulled over in some shitbox that cant get over 110 km/h and the copper going "do you know you were doing 200km/h back there"

Saw that on A Current Affair once, old granny with a Datsun 120Y, she had been clocked at 180 something and fined heavily, so they took her car to a racetrack to see what it could get up to!!

After sitting on the accelerator for ages, i think it only managed 140 or thereabouts!!! Even if the radar said 140 on the fine, the road she was caught on would've run out before the car even reached that speed!!!

DirtyHarry
18th November 2007, 08:27 PM
that story is a load of bullocks. i heard a similar one about a cop and an australia f/a-18.

for a start i dont think the weapons system on those jets or the radar would be in the same frequency of what the radar gun operates.

btm
19th November 2007, 10:14 AM
that story is a load of bullocks. i heard a similar one about a cop and an australia f/a-18.

for a start i dont think the weapons system on those jets or the radar would be in the same frequency of what the radar gun operates.

Wraith
19th November 2007, 10:26 AM
Not so true...at least in America. :p

Recently, they carried loaded nuclear missiles on a trip from one base to another in the US. Idiots...

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/09/05/loose.nukes/index.html

This sort of practice has been going on for decades since the 1950's !!!

It is not uncommon, in all countries, especially in Europe, not just the U.S for nuclear weapons to be delivered/transported this way.

However the weapons are in an inert state and are designed and made so that even if the aircraft crashes, they will not detonate.

Petey
19th November 2007, 08:26 PM
Tornadoes are designed to be low flying attack weapons delivery devices...

They train in very low altitude flying, using their own radar to follow terrain very closely at high speed... That was their original design brief in the 70's for the cold war.

Much like the Aussie F-111's.

This story MAY be true!

Their radar & other electronics equipment would be in use operationally even over populated areas when they train, otherwise what would be the point!

The aircrafts avionics may well have picked up the police radar signals & then countermeasures would have come into play to jam it & even lock onto it to retaliate!!!

Radar signals are not like a laser beam of straight light, they can be reflected off many different objects.

Thats why I take with a grain of salt Police statements that they are accurate & tested. Too much margin of error such as where they are placed & pointed at etc...

But they have to maintain the myth that they help with road safety & are not revenue raisers.

I wanted to be a fighter pilot when I finished school but one eye not quite right put an end to that...

Wraith
20th November 2007, 10:21 AM
I wanted to be a fighter pilot when I finished school but one eye not quite right put an end to that...

Join the club me too !!!!!! ever since I was a little kid, I always wanted to be a fighter pilot :)

In my age group however, the demand for RAAF fighter pilots was very low and interested people high, so the entrance marks were set so high, it was impossible for me to achieve :( very different story these days as people are more relunctant to join the armed forces and demand or required personel numbers is higher....to late now, but I should've/could've made a move to the U.S. and pursued an air force career there.......

One of my fav. topics, interests and hobies to this day remains military combat aircraft, I actually have more literature and books on this topic than I do on cars :)

Misguidedangel
20th November 2007, 12:31 PM
to late now, but I should've/could've made a move to the U.S. and pursued an air force career there.......

Its never too late... Its only too late when you're dead

Wraith
20th November 2007, 12:36 PM
Its never too late... Its only too late when you're dead

In fact, for me it is too late, I'm over 40 now........air force cadet training is between the ages of 18-22.

By the time fighter pilots reach age 30-35, a great majority are ready for a desk job or retirement and only the very best/fittest continue on flying at or beyond 40 these days....some become test pilots and a very small number astronauts.

If only I could go back in time, we all wish that :)

Misguidedangel
20th November 2007, 12:38 PM
In fact, for me it is too late, I'm over 40 now........air force cadet training is between the ages of 18-22.

By the time fighter pilots reach age 30-35, a great majority are ready for a desk job or retirement and only the very best/fittest continue on flying at or beyond 40 these days....some become test pilots and a very small number astronauts.

If only I could go back in time, we all wish that :)

ahh fair enough then... didn't know that...

btm
20th November 2007, 03:34 PM

maverick and goose were older than that :p

bornwild
20th November 2007, 03:37 PM
Join the club me too !!!!!! ever since I was a little kid, I always wanted to be a fighter pilot :)

In my age group however, the demand for RAAF fighter pilots was very low and interested people high, so the entrance marks were set so high, it was impossible for me to achieve :( very different story these days as people are more relunctant to join the armed forces and demand or required personel numbers is higher....to late now, but I should've/could've made a move to the U.S. and pursued an air force career there.......

One of my fav. topics, interests and hobies to this day remains military combat aircraft, I actually have more literature and books on this topic than I do on cars :)

let's join forces and buy a Eurofighter :cool:

Wraith
20th November 2007, 04:12 PM
maverick and goose were older than that :p

hahaha LOL :D Tom Cruise was 22 or 24 when he was in that movie :)

Don't know about 'Goose' but in his ER days he's lost all his hair, don't think he's that old though :)

Wraith
20th November 2007, 04:17 PM
let's join forces and buy a Eurofighter :cool:

Eurofighter (AKA Typhoon II) - no way, it's way over rated and not a true 4th generation fighter jet - don't get me started on this topic LOL :)

If we had the hundreds of millions of dollars required here, I'd want an F22 or just go for an awesome classic like the MiG 25.......I would also have my eye on the new MiG 142 :cool:

btm
20th November 2007, 04:27 PM
hahaha LOL :D Tom Cruise was 22 or 24 when he was in that movie :)

really? no??

Wraith
20th November 2007, 04:47 PM
really? no??

Yep, movie was back in 1986 - I believe he's around 44 these days, so around 23 back then :)

DirtyHarry
20th November 2007, 05:45 PM
the new sukoi is supposed to be good. i cant believe australia bought the f-35 heap of junk. they are going to regret it.
funny how america ofloads the crap warplanes to australia and other countries but wont let any other country buy the F22.

what a joke

Tfer
20th November 2007, 05:56 PM
the new sukoi is supposed to be good. i cant believe australia bought the f-35 heap of junk. they are going to regret it.
funny how america ofloads the crap warplanes to australia and other countries but wont let any other country buy the F22.

what a joke

that may/may not be true.... I am not an expert.... but I do know the RAAF turned an "apparent" hunk of junk (F111) into a great fighter bomber.... so maybe the RAAF will just have to do it all over again.

My 2 cents.........

jgastra
20th November 2007, 06:01 PM
That would be an insane job. It's expensive to get into as well. I know with been a commercial pilot it costs a good 60g to get ur license and then you're not even guaranteed a job.

Wraith
21st November 2007, 03:31 PM

what a joke

If your talking about the FSW (forward swept wing) Sukhoi prototype - that dosn't look like it'll ever achieve production !!!

However nothing wrong with the very impressive and super potent Sukhoi 'Flanker' jets, still being evolved and produced :)

I don't want to write an essay, but the F35 JSF is no heap of junk !!! the only junk part about it that's junk is the 'JSF' title and the adoption of the F22's rejected 1st name - Lightning II (now raptor, after the Jurassic movies aired - yes stupid yanks) after the famous Lockheed P38 of WWII.

FYI Israel will operate the F22 - (albeit an 'electronically watered down' version for secururity against espionage) if you look back into history you'll find that they've always recieved the best military hardware the U.S have to offer, in fact they had the F15 even before it went into USAF service !!!

Long story short, yes they are the 53rd or is it 54th US state.....

As for the RAAF - simple reason is they would never be able to afford the F22 - same thing happened when they chose the F/A-18 over the F16 back in 1979/80, the 1st choice bacjk then was also the then best fighter around, the F15....

Wraith
21st November 2007, 03:46 PM
that may/may not be true.... I am not an expert.... but I do know the RAAF turned an "apparent" hunk of junk (F111) into a great fighter bomber.... so maybe the RAAF will just have to do it all over again.

My 2 cents.........

F-111 was never a piece of junk even with the USAF !

It was a political nightmare and became a scapegoat in the arena of massive defence budget spends at the time - 1960's.

Australia opted for the type, because it could afford them (albeit a very small number) and needed a long range strike/recon capability (mainly with issues related to Indonesia) which are still ongoing !

The RAAF did nothing major to improve it's capabilities, it was all designed and built into the F-111 by General Dynamics to begin with !

Australias F-111C is a copy of the USAF's FB-111A.

The RAAF is now fortunate enough to be able to recieve surplus aircraft spares and parts for these as they've been long retired by the USAF and we are the only other operator of the type.

Again don't want to write essays on the topic, but both MiG and Sukhois finest owe much to captured/retrieved F-111's during the Vietnam conflict and 're-possessed' F-14's after the Shah of Irans fall a 1/4 of a century ago.

btm
21st November 2007, 03:52 PM
damn wraith... you really do hava a passion for it dont you :)

its all jibberish to me! i just liked the fact that you could 'lock-on' a target with your own vision

Wraith
21st November 2007, 05:45 PM
damn wraith... you really do hava a passion for it dont you :)

its all jibberish to me! i just liked the fact that you could 'lock-on' a target with your own vision

Yeh, like I mentioned earlier, I've been into military aircraft since I was a young kid, it was something I was more into than even cars - although not any more these days, in my next life, I'll attempt to be a fighter jock again :)

Don't want to get too carried away here though, there's so much more behind all these jet topics that have come up here in these last posts...we probably want to stick more to the car stuff :)

bornwild
22nd November 2007, 02:16 PM
Yeh, like I mentioned earlier, I've been into military aircraft since I was a young kid, it was something I was more into than even cars - although not any more these days, in my next life, I'll attempt to be a fighter jock again :)

Don't want to get too carried away here though, there's so much more behind all these jet topics that have come up here in these last posts...we probably want to stick more to the car stuff :)

Wraith, you into computer simulations?? There is a great game I play called Lock On...great simulation. Need some serious gear to play it though and it is costly...

Wraith
22nd November 2007, 03:11 PM
Wraith, you into computer simulations?? There is a great game I play called Lock On...great simulation. Need some serious gear to play it though and it is costly...

Thanks for that BW, I've played some great fighter jet games but don't really get into that side of things much........I spend lots of time and money of text books and reading, I have a comprehensive library on military aircraft and other related aerospace topics and have a big VHS video collection as well, now I'm starting to get some DVD's happening too :)

I also spend alot of my spare time designing jets (just as a hobby and for fun) as I studied aeronautical engineering in my younger days :)

btm
22nd November 2007, 03:49 PM
and have a big VHS video collection

what's this 'VHS' you speak of? :p

Wraith
22nd November 2007, 04:16 PM
what's this 'VHS' you speak of? :p

Good one LOL....... :)

You have to keep in mind my age :o .......there was no such thing as CD's or DVD's when I first started my aviation film collection :)

btm
22nd November 2007, 04:27 PM
damn all us Gen Y's :)

Wraith
22nd November 2007, 04:43 PM
damn all us Gen Y's :)

I like to think of myself as a 'Gen Y' too :cool: with a little wisdom and experience :p :)

bornwild
22nd November 2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for that BW, I've played some great fighter jet games but don't really get into that side of things much........I spend lots of time and money of text books and reading, I have a comprehensive library on military aircraft and other related aerospace topics and have a big VHS video collection as well, now I'm starting to get some DVD's happening too :)

I also spend alot of my spare time designing jets (just as a hobby and for fun) as I studied aeronautical engineering in my younger days :)

oo Aerospace engineering, I was considering that as well when I started my Mech eng. degree. :)

I will, however, do my final year project on planes...despite being a mech eng student :P....I love fluid dynamics as a topic to research. :)

Wraith
22nd November 2007, 08:36 PM
oo Aerospace engineering, I was considering that as well when I started my Mech eng. degree. :)

I will, however, do my final year project on planes...despite being a mech eng student :P....I love fluid dynamics as a topic to research. :)

Similar boat for me BW.....

Wanted to be a fighter jock, didn't work out, so then I initially pursued aeronautical engineering, but got put off with the lack of any interesting work prospects here in Oz, so I ventured into Civil/Structural engineering and now that's how I earn a living :)

All good in the end :)

Keep up your studies, any professional engineering field/discipline makes a great career.......