PDA

View Full Version : Why cant our hard earned tax payer dollars go on roads like this!

btm
13th November 2007, 01:10 PM
'Melody Road' fascinates drivers

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22750751-2,00.html

Scientists have created a stretch of road that plays music when motorists drive over it.

Scientists from Japan's Hokkaido Industrial Research Institute have cut so many grooves into a 250m stretch of highway that motorists can hear a melody created by the sound of their tyres.

The “Melody Road” only works when motorists drive at certain speeds, according to a report from the institute, published in the Japanese Gijutsu Iten Foramu journal.

"The vibration sound by the contact of tyres and grooves is generated when a car passes the road surface where the grooving was conducted," the report said.

“The grooving is carried out by adjusting groove intervals, and high vibration sounds are generated in the places where the groove intervals are narrow, and low vibration sounds are generated in wide places.”

A car travelling at 60km/h could clearly hear the melody for 15 seconds, the report said.

immenotu
13th November 2007, 01:59 PM
Cool. Would be extremely annoying but still cool.

btm
13th November 2007, 02:12 PM
its only for 250m... who the hell thought of doing something like that!

immenotu
13th November 2007, 02:14 PM
someone with WAY too much time on their hands lol

btm
13th November 2007, 02:15 PM
only the crazy japs could come up with something like that :)

immenotu
13th November 2007, 02:21 PM
gotta give 'em credit for thinking outside the box tho

btm
13th November 2007, 02:24 PM
gotta give 'em credit for thinking outside the box tho

indeed!

i've lost count of the amount of times i've have almost wet myself laughing over some funny japanese clip on youtube :D

immenotu
13th November 2007, 02:31 PM
mmm....takeshi's castle....funny stuff

btm
13th November 2007, 02:37 PM
mmm....takeshi's castle....funny stuff

what is that one about?

immenotu
13th November 2007, 02:40 PM
u havent heard of takeshi's castle, pretty old now. japanese game show. crazy stuff like people trying to run up a hill with huge boulders rolling down it n stuff like that.

Vectracious
13th November 2007, 02:43 PM
There's a section on the western ring road (outbound) at the moment (near the airport exit) where they are doing roadworks and they have left grooves in the road - presumably for resurfacing... the astra was "singing" for a few minutes - I shat myself when it started because I thought something had gone in the engine bay - like a water pump or aircon compressor...

btm
13th November 2007, 02:52 PM
there are sections of the F3 that do weird things to my car when i drive on them... the first couple of times i shat myself too cause i didnt know what was going on!

Wraith
13th November 2007, 04:34 PM
Groovy :D

People will just switch off their great sounding ICE installs when driving over it, just to listen to that instead - yeh right LOL :)

pred8r
13th November 2007, 05:39 PM
There's a section on the western ring road (outbound) at the moment (near the airport exit) where they are doing roadworks and they have left grooves in the road - presumably for resurfacing... the astra was "singing" for a few minutes - I shat myself when it started because I thought something had gone in the engine bay - like a water pump or aircon compressor...

Yep goes from before Mcintyre Rd all the way to the CAT factory, was cool the first few days but in close to peak hour, when you are going just fast enough to make it really long and drawn out, its really annoying.

10 mins of FUN FUN FUN..........not

R3N
13th November 2007, 06:46 PM
That's a freaking eerie melody. Imagine driving through that in the middle of the night when all is silent then you start hearing that!

poita
14th November 2007, 12:59 AM
wat tune does it play?
please tell me its nothing from britney spears or timberlake!!

Vectracious
14th November 2007, 07:28 AM
wat tune does it play?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9rWFZesV8s

Apex
14th November 2007, 10:47 AM
Cool, fans of dance music will have to drive twice as fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectracious http://www.opelaus.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=267205#post267205)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9rWFZesV8s

LMAO!!

oneightoo
14th November 2007, 01:11 PM
wat tune does it play?
please tell me its nothing from britney spears or timberlake!!

it's the theme from top gear..

The Allman Brothers - Jessica

wishbone
14th November 2007, 04:47 PM
yeah, i've missed my exit twice now, becuase i am trying to decide which lane will be faster for me to drive through whilst at that area on teh western ring road, its very annoying. it reminds me of finding nemo, when the whales are calling out? anyone know what i am talking about?

and for that melody road? i don't think it sounds too much like a melody? sounds more like noise to me.

poita
14th November 2007, 07:25 PM
vectracious that is wrong on so many levels!

Vectracious
14th November 2007, 09:07 PM
vectracious that is wrong on so many levels!

Yatta!!!

Hiro keeps saying that word on Heroes as well - weird...

poita
14th November 2007, 09:08 PM
is he in the cast of Yatta? lol

btm
15th November 2007, 08:36 AM
WTF are you guys talking about?

bornwild
20th November 2007, 03:12 PM

I've seen and heard it...absolutely amazing how different pitches can be produced