PDA

View Full Version : Why the Love?

Gambit
13th November 2007, 12:23 PM
So I'm kind of curious about all of this and I figured, only a true Opel-lover could answer it for me...

Why do you guys love Opel so much? What specifically is it? What is it about these little cars you admire so?

Naturally, I don't mean to offend with the question - far from it in fact. I'm interested in what brought on this passion...

btm
13th November 2007, 12:33 PM
i wouldnt say i love opel, just like my car being different for the tens of thousands of other astra's out there

cbrmale
13th November 2007, 01:32 PM
We started when we bought a Barina (Opel Corsa) some years ago for my wife when she smashed her previous car. We needed a new car quick, and with a discount the Barina shaped up as okay and immediately available. When we got it, we realised it was quite different to the usual small car. It had excellent roadholding, supple ride and it was a very practical car. It was also safer than the average small car, rating four-star. Indeed, I thought if Opel made a bigger and more powerful version, it would suit me. The Astra H was released later that year and it was sufficiently big for our family, but until the 2.2 engine version happened it didn't have enough performance for me.

My Astra SRi has a good blend of sporty and practicality at an affordable price. The 2.2 engine has strong performance, the handling is superb, the ride is supple, the interior is comfortable and reasonably spacious and the fuel economy is good. It is also very safe, the SRi has six airbags and rates at five-star.

Two Opels, but I don't profess love. Just better than average in many areas at affordable prices.

USC
13th November 2007, 01:59 PM
same here, I dont love opels...just thought the sri T was relatively cheap for a turbo charged car.

EL BURITO
13th November 2007, 02:22 PM
The corsa was the best thing on the market at the time in my price range and had most of the bells and whistles i was looking for and would hold value better than a Hyundai

btm
13th November 2007, 02:26 PM
they are certainly great value for money for what you get. a great little reliable car

Vectracious
13th November 2007, 02:49 PM
Bought my Vectra because of the many positive reviews it was getting at the time, one of the cheapest Euro's as well - and those crazy wing mirrors!

My wife bought an Astra because it was a million times better built, more powerful and better value than a Peugeot 306 (which is what she had her heart set on)

Would probably have bought another one again if they made the SRiT in a 4 door..

InsaneAsylum
13th November 2007, 03:07 PM
i secretly wanted to **** deborah hutton

btm
13th November 2007, 03:14 PM
i secretly wanted to **** deborah hutton

isn't she a lesbian?

GreyRex
13th November 2007, 04:12 PM
isn't she a lesbian?

All this girl on girl stuff!! LOL

btm
13th November 2007, 04:16 PM
All this girl on girl stuff!! LOL
but she is... isnt she?

Wraith
13th November 2007, 04:23 PM
We started when we bought a Barina (Opel Corsa) some years ago for my wife when she smashed her previous car. We needed a new car quick, and with a discount the Barina shaped up as okay and immediately available. When we got it, we realised it was quite different to the usual small car. It had excellent roadholding, supple ride and it was a very practical car. It was also safer than the average small car, rating four-star. Indeed, I thought if Opel made a bigger and more powerful version, it would suit me. The Astra H was released later that year and it was sufficiently big for our family, but until the 2.2 engine version happened it didn't have enough performance for me.

My Astra SRi has a good blend of sporty and practicality at an affordable price. The 2.2 engine has strong performance, the handling is superb, the ride is supple, the interior is comfortable and reasonably spacious and the fuel economy is good. It is also very safe, the SRi has six airbags and rates at five-star.

Two Opels, but I don't profess love. Just better than average in many areas at affordable prices.

I can relate to the above and also USC's comment....

I too don't necessarily love Opel, just happen to be a car enthusiast who really likes a couple of their products for reasons already mentioned by others :)

If your into cars, your always going to have a fav. type or brand, I'd say that type or brand isn't Opel for most people on this forum, but because we own them and appreciate some of the better points about them, we participate and create communities like this one... :)

Tfer
13th November 2007, 04:31 PM
I have had two Veccys now.... and both are what I consider to be different enough from the crowd.... and that suits me just fine. ;)

btm
13th November 2007, 04:32 PM
I can relate to the above and also USC's comment....

I too don't necessarily love Opel, just happen to be a car enthusiast who really likes a couple of their products for reasons already mentioned by others :)

If your into cars, your always going to have a fav. type or brand, I'd say that type or brand isn't Opel for most people on this forum, but because we own them and appreciate some of the better points about them, we participate and create communities like this one... :)

+1

very well put wraith

Black Nugget
13th November 2007, 04:55 PM
Im only relatively new to this forum and like the others i like but not necessary love opels. I think that opelaus appeals most due to its segmentation from from the holden camp. This means no stupid comments cas of not being a commodore or v8, no tribe mentality and to be honest a generally broader perspective on life.

Gambit
13th November 2007, 05:58 PM
Im only relatively new to this forum and like the others i like but not necessary love opels. I think that opelaus appeals most due to its segmentation from from the holden camp. This means no stupid comments cas of not being a commodore or v8, no tribe mentality and to be honest a generally broader perspective on life.

Which, along with the comments from people above, is a fantastic change of pace for me. Coming from a Ford forum which is filled with "blue blooded" tribe mentality, its nice to see people that actually put a bit of thought into buying a car rather than "what newer car from (insert favourite manufacturer) can I buy with my money"

oneightoo
13th November 2007, 06:11 PM

dont mean to be rude, but, isnt that a contradiction? have we not started our own tribe? a tribe within a tribe? lol..

i love opel, because the calibra is the sexiest car ever made, and i drive one..

Black Nugget
13th November 2007, 06:51 PM
dont mean to be rude, but, isnt that a contradiction? have we not started our own tribe? a tribe within a tribe? lol..

i love opel, because the calibra is the sexiest car ever made, and i drive one..

No i completely understand that it does appear to be contradiction. From my own perspective I see opelaus as less of the tribal menality, by which if i was to get a ford XR5 or a scoobie like some of the members here allready, there is not scorn or anger because of not getting an opel again. Many of us are here because opel cars suit us at this particular stage in our life, rather than because it won DTM or some dude drove it back in the 70s. I mean I would be more than happy to participate in a holden forum if there was more balance i.e on some forums an astra with "ebay light" is rice where as VT executive with monaro lights is "classy"

oneightoo
13th November 2007, 07:54 PM
ahh i see.. agree with you 100%

Vectracious
13th November 2007, 11:18 PM
where as VT executive with monaro lights is "classy"

LOL - only in Frankston. And you forgot the full HSV Clubby bodykit on a ECOTEC. :p:D

RobotWarrior
13th November 2007, 11:30 PM
LOL - only in Frankston. And you forgot the full HSV Clubby bodykit on a ECOTEC. :p:D

Yeah thats "Fully Sik M8" :D

RobotWarrior
13th November 2007, 11:37 PM
Thread killer:confused:

EL BURITO
14th November 2007, 12:20 AM
with the V6 Exec badges still on it

poita
14th November 2007, 12:38 AM
hey be careful wat you say about ECOTEC's, some of us opel owners have them :p
i bought the cally cause i fell in love with the shape after i first saw one.
mind you it was a turbo one i first saw.
told my girlfriend (now my wife) that i would own one one day, she told me i was dreaming!
the two jobs i had at the time i lived no more than 3km from either of, so had no need for a car. moved away to work so needed wheels, went looking at so many cars, was pretty much set of a pulsar sss with an SR20 in it.
went to one last car yard, and there it was. a red cally :)
since i was in love with teh shape already paper work was done, week later it was mine :)
no regrets ever since i got it, even without a sunroof !!!

btm
14th November 2007, 08:30 AM
but soon to not have either! :(

Vectracious
14th November 2007, 09:37 AM
hey be careful wat you say about ECOTEC's, some of us opel owners have them :p

LOL - I respect the ECOTEC - brilliant engine for what it was - have gone through my fair share myself! :D

oneightoo
14th November 2007, 09:44 AM
but soon to not have either! :(

this is true.. but i need a more modern 4 door car

EL BURITO
14th November 2007, 10:29 AM
this is true.. but i need a more modern 4 door car
4 doors are overated

oneightoo
14th November 2007, 10:31 AM
no they're not..

and especially not when the 4 door car you're getting is about 4 times quicker than the 2 door car..

EL BURITO
14th November 2007, 10:35 AM
no they're not..

and especially not when the 4 door car you're getting is about 4 times quicker than the 2 door car..
that has no relation to the number of doors

Vectracious
14th November 2007, 10:39 AM
4 doors FTW :D

Apex
14th November 2007, 10:55 AM
So I'm kind of curious about all of this and I figured, only a true Opel-lover could answer it for me...

Why do you guys love Opel so much? What specifically is it? What is it about these little cars you admire so?

Naturally, I don't mean to offend with the question - far from it in fact. I'm interested in what brought on this passion...

Not a huge fan of Opel really. Their cars are kind of cool in a boring efficient German way though.

I like mine because its diferent, the Astra SRI-T is the only coupe sold on our market and there are few around.

oneightoo
14th November 2007, 12:02 PM
that has no relation to the number of doors

it does in my case..

Black Nugget
14th November 2007, 12:10 PM
amateurs........6 doors is the way! Along with 35" wheels and 0.5 MPG:D

http://www.fordtrucksusa.com/images/513_F650-6_Door_4X4.jpg

oneightoo
14th November 2007, 12:12 PM
for a big car they dont have as much room inside as you'd think..

Black Nugget
14th November 2007, 12:13 PM
for a big car they dont have as much room inside as you'd think..

6 Fat americans can make anything look small......

oneightoo
14th November 2007, 12:16 PM
hahahaha so true..

btm
14th November 2007, 12:36 PM
2 doors, 4 doors.... etc... its irrelevant

2 wheels FTW!! :D

CJB
14th November 2007, 09:27 PM
I am much the same as everyone else, because it's different, but I am talking the actual badge and what appealed is I could have a pretty standard car among the population, but make it so unique with the badges.

I also like the build quality, styling and drive, however that's with most Euro cars to me, like the Focus...

but Opel in particular, the fact it was relatively unknown for a car so commonly known in Australia.

These days my love for Opel isn't how it use to be when I was 17/18 - I am very open to other cars, but I still proudly talk about my Opel, still read up on everything I can about them.

tuzinski
14th November 2007, 11:48 PM
as my car gets funny looks from holden drivers and other astra drivers!
they like ehh WTF!

but also as my name is Adam

and its ADAM OPEL [=