PDA

View Full Version : Should I colour Code?

MAD-16V
11th November 2007, 06:12 PM
http://mywebsite.bigpond.com/masterkiz/novem.jpg

Was going to have a go at it myself - I have always liked the black as a way to break it all up - But I saw a nice white one the other day all colour coded and it just got me thinking.

What do you guys think I should do?
And when you guys have it done do they usually just bog over the "CD" in the side strips?.

CNBLU
11th November 2007, 09:03 PM
two words... do it;)

digifish
11th November 2007, 09:08 PM
two words... do it;)

one word 'don't' :p

The black does indeed break it up AND you will end up with a lot of chips in the strips in 12 months and it will look daggy.

digifish

tuzinski
11th November 2007, 09:18 PM
just do the door handles!
leave the side strips as they do break it up!

Dee
11th November 2007, 09:19 PM

i agree with tuzinski

CNBLU
11th November 2007, 09:25 PM
one word 'don't' :p

The black does indeed break it up AND you will end up with a lot of chips in the strips in 12 months and it will look daggy.

digifish

chips in the strips??? lol thats funny.... :p

heres a pic of my old car colour coded...

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k104/Hott_For_You/DSC00006.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k104/Hott_For_You/DSC00007.jpg

dont understand the breaking it up part:confused:

poita
11th November 2007, 09:40 PM
colour code FTW!!!

JR
11th November 2007, 09:46 PM
leave it - it goes well with ur black headlights n black tinted windows.

maybe do just the handles as loudness suggested.

shince
11th November 2007, 09:57 PM
leave it on the white car m8

oneightoo
11th November 2007, 10:02 PM
spray the handles and remove the strips..

MK
11th November 2007, 10:28 PM
if it was mine, i would colour code the side strips and the roof strips! i would leave the handles black as colour coding by third party will never be the same as factory and will always deteriorate quicker due to finger nails and womens jewelery always scratching the paint (unless you take the handles off and properly have them painted and baked)

but that's just me...

tuzinski
11th November 2007, 10:32 PM
spray the handles and remove the strips..
how do you remove the strips?

tuzinski
11th November 2007, 10:46 PM
you decide!
1. Door handles onlys:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8439/65131928wb3.jpg
2. Door Handles and strips:
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7892/14722075ox5.jpg

Photoshopping what you want always helps visualise what you want!

USC
11th November 2007, 11:10 PM
definitely do both side strips and handles. and like the AH sri, you could also colour code the roof trims..makes a huge difference..the only thing is in the TS, the roof trims goes all the way down to the bonnet..so not sure how this is gona look...but do both handles and side strips for sure.

MAD-16V
12th November 2007, 12:30 AM
Thanks for all of the replys people.
Will post pics when it's all done.

tuzinski
12th November 2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks for all of the replys people.
Will post pics when it's all done.
so what did you decide on?

btm
12th November 2007, 09:05 AM
i'd get both strips and door handles done - will look even more awesome :)

Wraith
12th November 2007, 09:20 AM

+2 with the above........

White is a little different to silver in my eyes, the silver looks best 'all' colour coded, but on the white, I think the dark colour bump strips look good and suit and just doing the door handles will produce the best result :)

btm
12th November 2007, 10:00 AM
see if you can find a pic of slyopels white 4 door G... he has his all colour coded i believe and it looks great

USC
12th November 2007, 10:20 AM
+2 with the above........

White is a little different to silver in my eyes, the silver looks best 'all' colour coded, but on the white, I think the dark colour bump strips look good and suit and just doing the door handles will produce the best result :)

I dont agree....

but u could also paint the strips a light silverish gold metallic colour..will good I reckon and colour code the handles white.

MAD-16V
12th November 2007, 07:08 PM
Going to get a quote to have the strips totally removed and the holes all welded up and smmothed out.

i think it will look cool with no strips at all.

USC
12th November 2007, 08:32 PM
Going to get a quote to have the strips totally removed and the holes all welded up and smmothed out.

i think it will look cool with no strips at all.

i dont think it will look cool as the astra TS has a massive grove for the strips...unlike the commodores or the AH

NEMO
12th November 2007, 10:28 PM
i did the door handles, door strips and the mirrors on my old G... check out the pic

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3084/img0032resizeeb8.th.jpg (http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0032resizeeb8.jpg)

tuzinski
12th November 2007, 10:48 PM
i did the door handles, door strips and the mirrors on my old G... check out the pic

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3084/img0032resizeeb8.th.jpg (http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0032resizeeb8.jpg)
THAT LOOKS HOT!
might have to do that to mine!!
that was polar sea blue right?
where did you get the paint from?

MAD-16V
13th November 2007, 12:52 AM
i dont think it will look cool as the astra TS has a massive grove for the strips...unlike the commodores or the AH

I cant remember there being a grove - Will have to take them off again tomorrow and have a look.

bornwild
13th November 2007, 12:55 AM
I vote for just the handles and roof lines!!!

USC
13th November 2007, 01:00 AM
I vote for just the handles and roof lines!!!

if u paint roof lines on the astra G, the windscreen looks a lot smaller...not a good look me thinks...

CNBLU
13th November 2007, 09:46 AM
i agree with above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:D

JR
13th November 2007, 10:08 AM
I cant remember there being a grove - Will have to take them off again tomorrow and have a look.

MAD-16V - if u gonna color code, remove the strips and smooth the groves out - like u said. that will look nice n flush

wats da point color coding it if u still got a 'bump' along the side of ur car.

then again, if u do remove the strips, ur bodywork is vulnerable to rogue door hits from other cars.

btm
13th November 2007, 04:37 PM
if u paint roof lines on the astra G, the windscreen looks a lot smaller...not a good look me thinks...

really? how?

anyone got a pic of what it looks like done?

USC
13th November 2007, 05:07 PM
really? how?

anyone got a pic of what it looks like done?

I dont have a pic but I have seen it and looks sheeeet because as I mentioned b4, the roof lines come down to the wiper crawl moulding (on both sides of the windscreen) and if u paint it all the way down, it looks like the windscreen is smaller.

btm
14th November 2007, 08:13 AM
I dont have a pic but I have seen it and looks sheeeet because as I mentioned b4, the roof lines come down to the wiper crawl moulding (on both sides of the windscreen) and if u paint it all the way down, it looks like the windscreen is smaller.

fair enough, thanks

if anyone does find a pic can you please post it up :)

MK
23rd November 2007, 09:31 AM
Those are few photos i took after the first stage of colour coding of my Astra H;

http://marcinkozinski.fotosik.pl/albumy/317221.html

the second stage (which was suppose to be completed this month but will be delayed) will have the side strips and the roof strips colour coded also. (i know the Astra H roof strips do not reach all the way down the side of the wind screen so it will look normal)

i chose to leave the textured feel and did not have the parts sanded back...the colour difference is not noticeable.

USC
23rd November 2007, 09:54 AM
looks good mate! yep, u r safe doing roof trims as they are colour coded on all sri models. side strips will make a big difference.

r ur door handles painted too?

Tfer
23rd November 2007, 10:04 AM
Hmmmm..... could very well go both ways, and one of my previous cars was white, and I had the mirrors, bumpers, grille, and door mouldings colour coded white (door handles were chrome)...... with jet black tyres and silver alloys.... it looked quite good, but in hindsight (and hey this was in the late 80's)..... I should have left the grille black, as well as the door mouldings, and only colour coded the mirrors and bumpers.

In your case, in my opinion, I would do the door handles (but properly as per Marcin's comments) but leave the rest black.... less of a snow ball if you get my drift.

Keen to see your results though ;)

tim_
23rd November 2007, 10:11 AM
Those are few photos i took after the first stage of colour coding of my Astra H;

http://marcinkozinski.fotosik.pl/albumy/317221.html

the second stage (which was suppose to be completed this month but will be delayed) will have the side strips and the roof strips colour coded also. (i know the Astra H roof strips do not reach all the way down the side of the wind screen so it will look normal)

i chose to leave the textured feel and did not have the parts sanded back...the colour difference is not noticeable.

looks so good man! i love it! so glad the texture is not noticable, i cbf having the side strips sanded haha. did you have it sprayed for you?? how many moneys?

USC
23rd November 2007, 10:38 AM
looks so good man! i love it! so glad the texture is not noticable, i cbf having the side strips sanded haha. did you have it sprayed for you?? how many moneys?

u dont need to sand man...just use plastic primer followed by primer filler and then slightly sand that to a smooth finish....which is a lot easier than trying to sand the plastic itself...this has been said heaps of times...

MK
23rd November 2007, 10:39 AM

yes, i had is spray painted at a car body shop...so far was less than $100AUD i got a quote of $500 for the door handles, side and roof strips.

MK
23rd November 2007, 10:44 AM
looks good mate! yep, u r safe doing roof trims as they are colour coded on all sri models. side strips will make a big difference.

r ur door handles painted too?

Yes, i cant wait to have the roof and side strips colour coded.

We are still deciding if we will have the door handles done;

FOR: would look very good when colour coded.
AGAINST: the door trim has to be removed, once colour coded the door handles will be prone to scratches from fingernails and jewelery (this is what the car body shop advised me of...they had few customers return to them saying they wished they didnt do the door handles)

tim_
23rd November 2007, 10:44 AM
frig that's cheap.

and i know about the primer filler, but i want to just be able to take it into the shop and say "make them silver", without having to do anything myself. i'm lazy :D

MK
23rd November 2007, 10:50 AM
frig that's cheap.

and i know about the primer filler, but i want to just be able to take it into the shop and say "make them silver", without having to do anything myself. i'm lazy :D

Ok, well if you looking for easy no fuss option (you have Astra H right?), you can;

1. unclip the rear and the front bar strips, unclip the fog light sorrounds and drop them off at your colour coding place - they will take the paint code down and have it painted in less than a week - clip them back!

2. for you side door strips you have three choices, one obvious is to have the car colour coded at your place by the "touchUp Guys" or leave the car at the car body shop and have it done there along with the roof strips OR you can save money and take the door side strips OFF and dont worry about colour coding them! :)

tim_
23rd November 2007, 11:01 AM
what i'll probably do, i have the 5dr ah, is get it all dony at the body shop. do they mask off the sidestrips, or fully remove them? although the roof strips can't be removed so it might just be easy to get them all done.

MK
23rd November 2007, 01:04 PM
what i'll probably do, i have the 5dr ah, is get it all dony at the body shop. do they mask off the sidestrips, or fully remove them? although the roof strips can't be removed so it might just be easy to get them all done.

i have just been to the car body shop and had a talk to the spray painter...

we decided to have the roof strip painted (he will investigate if its easily removable - if not he will mask as best as he can and make sure the paint covers all of the roof strip so there are no black plastic parts showing)

as for the door handles we are leaving them black. why? well the car is Astra H CD (basic model) i don't want to spend too much $$$ on it as it is. the removal of the interior door trim does not convince me and I will have to leave the car there for a good 3 to 5 days, something i do not want to do.

now for the door side strips...we will either colour code them (5dr) or have them removed completely as they are attached by a double sided tape (no holes or attaching grommets on the door panels!)

i am having few photos done and sent to me from Poland where there is an Astra H that had the door strips removed, this way i can see for myself and decide...

tim_
23rd November 2007, 01:42 PM
i prefer it with the silver side strips, i think it looks too bare without them.

http://forum.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21927

USC
23rd November 2007, 02:39 PM
i have just been to the car body shop and had a talk to the spray painter...

we decided to have the roof strip painted (he will investigate if its easily removable - if not he will mask as best as he can and make sure the paint covers all of the roof strip so there are no black plastic parts showing)

as for the door handles we are leaving them black. why? well the car is Astra H CD (basic model) i don't want to spend too much $$$ on it as it is. the removal of the interior door trim does not convince me and I will have to leave the car there for a good 3 to 5 days, something i do not want to do.

now for the door side strips...we will either colour code them (5dr) or have them removed completely as they are attached by a double sided tape (no holes or attaching grommets on the door panels!)

i am having few photos done and sent to me from Poland where there is an Astra H that had the door strips removed, this way i can see for myself and decide...

OK Good news for everyone:

ROOF STRIPS can be removed in less than 5 minutes each. I removed mine to fix a chip on my roof.

here are the steps:

open the two bits where the roof racks screw on. Put one finger inside under each side (left and right hand sides of the opening) and gently pull up (wiggle it a bit) ...dont be scared as the plastic is extremely flexible and wont break. DO NOT AT ANY TIME pull too hard on the ends (where it meets windscreen and rear glass) as it will bend the trim and deshape it. once it unclips where the openings are, you can use ur fingers and pull the trim upwards towards you to unclip the two ends near the windscreen and rear glass.

If u r scared, come see me and i will remove them for you for $50:D and a beer...hahaha

I would NOT advise to paint roof trims on the car and it will look messy and you wont be able to spray it properly ..which will leave dry spray in the corners.

RE: door handles...factory painted door handles look very hot and hardly get scratches and if they do, you can always polish them. if the panel shop dont prep the handle properly, it will scratch easily.... they need to use proper plastic primer and add a flexible additive to the paint which will prevent peeling, chips and scratches.

its a pitty that shitty holden dont sell any colour coded trims (like spoiler, handles etc..specially for a new model!).

USC
23rd November 2007, 02:43 PM
dont remove the side strips and it will look too bare n wont match the bumpers...they actually add a sporty look to the car and they dont go all the way to the front wheels...which is cool!

best to remove and paint out of the car or if there is a little gap between the body and the trims, then u could always mask and paint on car.

I would advise to paint the handles -- just get them to prep the handles properly. u could always remove the door card yourself and gently peel the plastic dust shield, tape it and let them do the rest.

imay
23rd November 2007, 03:44 PM
Door handles - Yes. Roof strips - No. Side strips - No.
Replace the front bar with a white Turbo unit. Then with the black lower grills you will have a nice balance of black and white. Add Turbo/CDX dark tint tail lights.
I agree with your earlier comment about the black side strips breaking the car up. Looks nice as it is . . . just don't overdo the color coding on a white car. Not that many nicely modded white ones I've seen, so don't overdo it!

MK
23rd November 2007, 04:36 PM
Door handles - Yes. Roof strips - No. Side strips - No.
Replace the front bar with a white Turbo unit. Then with the black lower grills you will have a nice balance of black and white. Add Turbo/CDX dark tint tail lights.
I agree with your earlier comment about the black side strips breaking the car up. Looks nice as it is . . . just don't overdo the color coding on a white car. Not that many nicely modded white ones I've seen, so don't overdo it!

100% agree, some things need to be left alone (or different colour) to balance it all out...

USC
24th November 2007, 12:13 AM
100% agree, some things need to be left alone (or different colour) to balance it all out...

I dont agree...have you seen a white VXR? You will droooool....looks nice with everything colour coded. It depends on your taste as well.
I think white cars with black bits to break the colour looks like cars in the 90`s to be honest.

tim_
24th November 2007, 01:03 AM
thats right. i look at the cdx astras and am very jealous.

MK
24th November 2007, 08:29 AM
I dont agree...have you seen a white VXR? You will droooool....looks nice with everything colour coded. It depends on your taste as well.
I think white cars with black bits to break the colour looks like cars in the 90`s to be honest.

in my opinion Astra G (thats what this thread was started about in beginning) need something to break them up...Yes, Astra H colour coded entirely look good, still in my personal choice\opinion i will leave one part black, most likely the door handles (my Astra H that is)

imay
24th November 2007, 10:54 AM

Where are all the white VXR's? Did we even get that color here? Yes, I can imagine a white VXR looks great, but we're talking about a 4/5 door Astra G/TS/Mk4 here with a few body mods.
And another thing . . . what's wrong with the 90s? Reminds me of the 80s everytime I think of them.

And as far as the full color-coding goes: Yes it looks great on some colors imo, but I like the black waist/belt line on the white and red (yes, I know, we didn't get RED G/TS/Mk4s here!) ones. The metallics definitely lend themselves better to full color-coding.

In the end: Personal choice.

Wraith
24th November 2007, 01:48 PM
Completely agree with Imay and marcinkozinski - ie: on the TS or Astra G, the overall shape of the car and the bump strips is different to the AH and on white, dark colour bump strips look better....colour coding seems to work well on the TS with other light colours like silver and red, but not white, IMO it's the same deal with the earlier Calibras as well, white Calis look terrible with colour coded bump strips and on my red Cali, I chose to stick with dark bump strips and colour code handles only, as that's what myself and the panel shop guys at the time all agreed looked better.

On the AH (white AH's with full colour coding look very good, but it's a different design and proportioning to the TS and this gives a very different end visual result) and other newer cars the bump strips are a more modern sweeping design that looks good colour coded whatever the car colour :)

But in the end, it's each to their own, whichever way you prefer it to be :)

Wraith
24th November 2007, 01:56 PM
Where are all the white VXR's? Did we even get that color here? Yes, I can imagine a white VXR looks great, but we're talking about a 4/5 door Astra G/TS/Mk4 here with a few body mods.
And another thing . . . what's wrong with the 90s? Reminds me of the 80s everytime I think of them.

And as far as the full color-coding goes: Yes it looks great on some colors imo, but I like the black waist/belt line on the white and red (yes, I know, we didn't get RED G/TS/Mk4s here!) ones. The metallics definitely lend themselves better to full color-coding.

In the end: Personal choice.

There's a limited edition white released in Europe - we won't be getting it here....

However correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the bump strips have been removed from this white VXR ???

http://i13.tinypic.com/6t2sitw.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/8acmlch.jpg

tim_
24th November 2007, 02:01 PM
if it was going to look like that when i removed the mouldings i probably would! but that car also doesn't have them on the front or rear bumpers, so it looks better than a normal astra ah would

poita
24th November 2007, 07:03 PM
is p0rn allowed on these forums!!

imay
24th November 2007, 09:35 PM
http://i13.tinypic.com/6t2sitw.jpg

I'll be the first to agree that this is VERY noice . . . but it's an H/AH/Mk5 and it's not available here and never will be (I'd have one in a flash!), and as has been pointed out the side strips have been removed anyway, and I don't necessarily like white wheels on ANYTHING.

So the debate returns to a white 4-5 door G/TS/Mk4 . . .

Wraith
25th November 2007, 08:30 PM
Agree Ian, the car looks magnificent, but the white wheels included there is a bit too much !!!

However I also think that had the bump strips remained and been colour coded, it would've been just as nice, it looks a little plain and too smooth without their shape on the car, especially on the sides...

I'd lose the white wheels in favour of a set of shadow chrome wheels and then also consider colour coding the mirrors, they look a bit odd to me in black on that car :rolleyes:

Wraith
25th November 2007, 08:36 PM
is p0rn allowed on these forums!!

LOL...

It's that infamous Calibra top half, that transforms the AH 3 door into something very nice ;) and yes sexual too :D

Calibra = porn = allowed :)

poita
25th November 2007, 08:40 PM
100% agree mate :D

USC
25th November 2007, 10:30 PM
thats a special edition astra vxr with no side strips and carbon fibre mirror covers...looks hot as.....just need better wheels;)

OPC
26th November 2007, 12:52 AM
thats a special edition astra vxr with no side strips and carbon fibre mirror covers...looks hot as.....just need better wheels;)

yes it's actually the Nurburg ring edition

also has a map of the ring embroided in the headrests
no power increase

btm
26th November 2007, 09:12 AM

i dont mind the wheels at all on it

Apex
26th November 2007, 09:23 AM
I would paint both handles and moulding white and paint the B-Pillar black.

USC
26th November 2007, 11:23 AM
I would paint both handles and moulding white and paint the B-Pillar black.

dont paint the B pillar..just buy the tape from Holden and stick it on.

much easier and can be removed if you change your mind.

Black CDX, SRi, SRiT, VXR astras dont come with the B pillar tape on but any other colours do.

Apex
26th November 2007, 12:14 PM
dont paint the B pillar..just buy the tape from Holden and stick it on.

much easier and can be removed if you change your mind.

Black CDX, SRi, SRiT, VXR astras dont come with the B pillar tape on but any other colours do.

I wonder what the part # for that would be :rolleyes: :confused: :)

EL BURITO
26th November 2007, 12:42 PM
i wouldn't given the problems Nik had taking his off after they fell to bits during the warranty period

Wraith
26th November 2007, 01:33 PM
Nurburgring embroided in the headrests....:rolleyes:

Imagine if you had one of those here in Oz how many times you'd have to explain that one to people LOL :)

I'd get rid of that and replace it with some nice VXR lettering embroidery or the like :)

USC
26th November 2007, 01:54 PM

I can find out for you if you like.

Re:it will only fall to bits if not installed properly....when u buy it, it comes with tags...so you dont touch the bit that will actually stick to the b pillar.

also, when u install, heat up the backing paper and the door b pillar with a hair dryer until its warm.

IF you decide to remove it, you have to heat the glue up first....ive dont it b4 without any problem.

Its definitely better than painting though. Painting involves masking and sanding the original paint which you dont want to do.

If your car is black, there is no need for black tape...it will only look matt which is not necessary.

Apex
26th November 2007, 02:36 PM
I can find out for you if you like.

Re:it will only fall to bits if not installed properly....when u buy it, it comes with tags...so you dont touch the bit that will actually stick to the b pillar.

also, when u install, heat up the backing paper and the door b pillar with a hair dryer until its warm.

IF you decide to remove it, you have to heat the glue up first....ive dont it b4 without any problem.

Its definitely better than painting though. Painting involves masking and sanding the original paint which you dont want to do.

If your car is black, there is no need for black tape...it will only look matt which is not necessary.

Thanks, I just hate the finger prints on my shiny B pillar and I think the tape would also break up that Tigra door look. Also wouldn’t mind some chrome VXR window mouldings.. Might head off to Holden and start inquiring. Does anyone know if VXR parts are in Holden’s parts list?

USC
26th November 2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks, I just hate the finger prints on my shiny B pillar and I think the tape would also break up that Tigra door look. Also wouldn’t mind some chrome VXR window mouldings.. Might head off to Holden and start inquiring. Does anyone know if VXR parts are in Holden’s parts list?

I think HSV parts should be in holden parts list as I rememer seeing VXR spoilers listed on the part list at a Holden dealership.

please note that to install the B pillar tape correctly, you will need to remove the following:

1. Window moulding (need to remove mirror first to be able to remove that)
2. Window glass (not hard to remove but takes a bit of time) so you can pull the rubber away from the b pillar frame in order for tape to fold in. Try winding down your window and pull the rubber away first...if enough clearance, then you wont need to remove glass.

I found that the chrome window moulding tend to crack on both ends where they tuck the chrome metal in...check yours properly before installing if you decide to buy them.

OPC
26th November 2007, 11:57 PM
I'd get rid of that and replace it with some nice VXR lettering embroidery or the like :)

OPC seeing it would be from germany ;)