PDA

View Full Version : Car Key

btm
8th November 2007, 09:20 AM
Does anyone know how i can get a non battery operated car key for my car.

ie. the blank silver ones that only opens my doors via the key hole by wont start my car

Can i have one cut from my key?

Can you order them from holden? how much?

thanks

JohnBu
8th November 2007, 09:56 AM
i doubt it because there's the immobiliser which needs to be disabled before you can drive off..

i'm assuming you need this for when you go swimming..

hmm that begs the question, could you not silicone up the standard key to make it waterproof?

btm
8th November 2007, 09:58 AM
its for when i go diving.

cant i just lock my immobiliser key in the car with the blank key? then unlock the doors manually when i get. then use my normal key to start the car?

J
8th November 2007, 10:57 AM
its for when i go diving.

cant i just lock my immobiliser key in the car with the blank key? then unlock the doors manually when i get. then use my normal key to start the car?

Indeed you can, btm :) My friend did it in his C, and I do it in my G whenever I take it to service.

btm
8th November 2007, 11:02 AM
Indeed you can, btm :) My friend did it in his C, and I do it in my G whenever I take it to service.

and you got the key from where J?

just cut one?

maloo97
8th November 2007, 11:19 AM
Bryan i wanted the same thing last summer for when i went to the beach.
I went to a locksmith, and a few other key joint's b4 holden and they told me it couldn't be done, As there is a chip in the key that triggers the immobiliser on / off. But then im like other cars have it available like toyota but they told me it only open's doors not starts the car.

btm
8th November 2007, 11:38 AM
that's all i want it to do. lock and unlock doors.

i wont use the immobiliser. just have the doors locked.

then when i come back, i unlock the doors and use my normal key (which is hidden in the car) to start the car and drive off

maloo97
8th November 2007, 11:40 AM
Alrighty it can be done. Go to holden and they'll charge you an arm and a leg lol

btm
8th November 2007, 11:52 AM
can any key cutter man make a copy of my key? and will this lock and unlock my doors?

maloo97
8th November 2007, 12:41 PM
Dude just ring holden then you'll know fo sure

btm
8th November 2007, 12:46 PM
Dude just ring holden then you'll know fo sure

spose that's all i can do...

J
8th November 2007, 12:49 PM
spose that's all i can do...

Nah I had it cut from Bunnings, from memory.

You can always ask whether you can get a full refund if it doesn't work on the door locks first, before you commit to buy :)

btm
8th November 2007, 12:51 PM
its only like ten bucks to but a key isnt it?

JR
8th November 2007, 01:33 PM
its not a bad idea - but if someone breaks into ur car, u've basically given them the keys (transponder keys) to drive off with ur car.

atleast by taking the keys with u, they can't drive off with car cause the car immobiliser is activated.

......unless ofcourse u have a suppa duppa hiding spot for the transponder key.

btm
8th November 2007, 01:38 PM
trust me... its safer to lock the keys in the car than what i currently do...

currently when i go diving i lock & immobilise my car with the button on the key, then hide my key somewhere! :eek:

surely at least having the key locked in the car is safer than this!

EL BURITO
8th November 2007, 02:00 PM
put it in your spare wheel well or some thin,

EAK33Y
8th November 2007, 02:02 PM
Yeah you could hide the original key in the boot like behiond the plastic that is behind the Tail lights

bornwild
8th November 2007, 02:02 PM
Yeah no worries it can be done. Any key cutter should be able to reproduce it if they have the fitting template. :)

btm
8th November 2007, 02:05 PM
excellent. i will get one cut on the weekend

thanks all

USC
8th November 2007, 02:14 PM
just make sure that when u lock the car, u do it manually with the key and not by pressing the button...

btm
8th November 2007, 02:17 PM
just make sure that when u lock the car, u do it manually with the key and not by pressing the button...

if you lock the door with the push button thing (whilst the doors are open) and then close the door. doesnt it unlock the doors? safety feature?

bornwild
8th November 2007, 02:21 PM
Nope! The doors keep locked :)

btm
8th November 2007, 02:27 PM
i'm not so sure about that. i'm pretty sure my G unlocks the doors again...

hmmm... will test tonight

bornwild
8th November 2007, 02:33 PM
Ah well maybe the G...the AH keeps locked :)

reedaaron
8th November 2007, 02:51 PM
i know mine re-locks if you unlock it and don't open a door within 30 seconds... not sure about unlocking if you've just locked it and then shut the door though...

JR
8th November 2007, 03:11 PM
i'm not so sure about that. i'm pretty sure my G unlocks the doors again...

hmmm... will test tonight

mine unlocks the door again if the drivers side door is not closed when i hit the button. if any of the other doors (xcept the drivers door) r open, n i close it, it remains locked.

btm
8th November 2007, 03:21 PM
mine unlocks the door again if the drivers side door is not closed when i hit the button. if any of the other doors (xcept the drivers door) r open, n i close it, it remains locked.

excellent, thanks JR. i thought that was the case :)

kaoshunter
8th November 2007, 06:49 PM

On mine you can't lock the doors whilst the drivers door is open, but if a passenger (not drivers) door is open it will lock the doors when you close it, if you press the button before hand

bornwild
8th November 2007, 06:55 PM
On mine you can't lock the doors whilst the drivers door is open, but if a passenger (not drivers) door is open it will lock the doors when you close it, if you press the button before hand

To be honest...I haven't really tried with the drivers door. I assumed it'd be the same for all doors. I know when I lock the car and let's say my boot is opened...if I close the boot it'll be locked henceforth :)

R3N
8th November 2007, 07:32 PM
get a dog

btm
9th November 2007, 09:38 AM
get a dog

i dont get it?

EL BURITO
9th November 2007, 11:55 AM
i dont get it?
to sit in the car and guard you key

btm