PDA

View Full Version : My Wheel of Misfortune :(

sooty
6th November 2007, 03:46 PM
Last Uni exam had finished, happiest as i've been in a long time. Driving home, two right hand turn lanes, i was in the left of the two. Light goes green, the car in front of me turns right, change into second, accelerate round the corner where just as the corner straightens up the person in the right hand lane half a car length in front continues to come left as if it's only one lane and completely steals my lane. I braked hard but contact was still going to be made so i was forced to jump the curb on my brand new wheels.
The result, wheel looks pretty rooted and tyre is a write off...their insurance better pay, but i have the distinct feeling they won't
My question is: Does the wheel look repairable, or too much structural damage?
Thanks for your help in this incredibly frustrating and upsetting time. I'd only had the wheels 3 weeks and now she's back on stocks :(

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd42/diesel110_photo/06112007116.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd42/diesel110_photo/06112007115.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd42/diesel110_photo/06112007114.jpg

EL BURITO
6th November 2007, 03:51 PM
thats messed up mate. Same thing happed to me about month ago :( it sucks. Just get a new wheel

EL BURITO
6th November 2007, 03:53 PM
Are they a true muilty piece rim, if so you may be able to get another outer lip

sooty
6th November 2007, 03:54 PM
Yeah i'm hoping too as they were hard to get off and there's a tad extra damage round where the bolts go now too..
I can't believe how badly people drive...and how my car is the one that suffered...
I just hope and pray their insurance will pay for it (wheel $500, tyre $220)
Not sure whether they are actually a true multi piece rim or not...No idea...

btm
6th November 2007, 03:54 PM
hopefully their insurance will pay for a replacement wheel and tyre

sooty
6th November 2007, 03:59 PM
I am definitely aiming for a new wheel.
But...just curious...does it look repairable? Cos i could keep it as a spare then...

EL BURITO
6th November 2007, 04:02 PM
I am definitely aiming for a new wheel.
But...just curious...does it look repairable? Cos i could keep it as a spare then...
If the center is damaged now and that looks like shadow chrome then its not worth it

btm
6th November 2007, 04:04 PM
is it even safe to attempt to repair a rim that has clearly been structurally bent?

surely its now weakend it?

EL BURITO
6th November 2007, 04:06 PM
is it even safe to attempt to repair a rim that has clearly been structurally bent?

surely its now weakend it?
when i took mine to get looked at he said the cost of the paint alone was not worth it

tuzinski
6th November 2007, 04:06 PM
wow! thats gotta suck.

yes some people cant drive, this nearly happen to me on the way to the piton cruise! (to homebush)

sooty
6th November 2007, 04:07 PM
Definitely going for a new wheel...i don't want to get it repaired then find out it's rooted later on when it collapses in on itself down the freeway.
How's this..the people flat out refused to give me their licence until i threatened to call the cops.

They kept saying ..i quote..."it's not [their] fault...we didn't hit...[i] should have braked harder":mad:

poita
6th November 2007, 04:08 PM
but if you want to keep it just as a spare wheel for emergencies
then if its fairly cheap to get it fixed i would.
its not it will be on the car all the time.

otherwise it would look great in the garden with hose around it :D

sooty
6th November 2007, 04:11 PM
otherwise it would look great in the garden with hose around it :D

Dude...ouch...the wound's still bleeding and u stick ur finger in it lol...
Not a bad idea though :D

tuzinski
6th November 2007, 04:12 PM
How's this..the people flat out refused to give me their licence until i threatened to call the cops.

They kept saying ..i quote..."it's not [their] fault...we didn't hit...[i] should have braked harder":mad:
where they asian?
if yes, then it explains it. :p

my asian friends say i drive like a psychopath, i tell them its how normal people drive. ;)

sooty
6th November 2007, 04:14 PM
Well i wasn't going to say...but yes...they were...of about 60 yrs old..
Could hardly speak english, it was only when i was going to call the cops they called their friends down to come and translate. Funnily enough their female mate agreed with me instantly that they were at fault and their insurance should pay for it.

I honestly don't know how some people get their licence...

EL BURITO
6th November 2007, 04:17 PM
Definitely going for a new wheel...i don't want to get it repaired then find out it's rooted later on when it collapses in on itself down the freeway.

doesn't sound out of the ordinary

sooty
6th November 2007, 04:18 PM
thats messed up mate. Same thing happed to me about month ago :( it sucks. Just get a new wheel

Did you end up getting a new wheel? their insurance pay?

EL BURITO
6th November 2007, 04:24 PM
Did you end up getting a new wheel? their insurance pay?
nope. got nothing.

could have claimed on my own insurance but not worth it.

So i have 15's again and will probly not change the wheels on this car again.

It was a very sad day. as is every time i look at the 2 wheels i have the garage that are still usable

sooty
6th November 2007, 04:28 PM
nope. got nothing.

could have claimed on my own insurance but not worth it.

So i have 15's again and will probly not change the wheels on this car again.

It was a very sad day. as is every time i look at the 2 wheels i have the garage that are still usable

That's heartbreaking man, i'm sorry, and that's what i fear most. I know even if i don't get the insurance i'll go and buy it anyway..but it's $700 i shouldn't have to pay for someone elses mistake.

Just looking at my car with the stock 16"s back on again breaks my heart, i guess i'll truly appreciate more when i get them back on again though. Gotta look at the bright side, no matter how hard it's hiding.

bornwild
6th November 2007, 04:41 PM
Mate...shit happens, what can you do. Try claim as much back as possible. Did you let your insurance know of the wheels??(when you bought them)

tuzinski
6th November 2007, 04:43 PM
Well i wasn't going to say...but yes...they were...of about 60 yrs old..
Could hardly speak english, it was only when i was going to call the cops they called their friends down to come and translate. Funnily enough their female mate agreed with me instantly that they were at fault and their insurance should pay for it.

I honestly don't know how some people get their licence...
maybe cause the friend knows they are shit drivers.

That's heartbreaking man, i'm sorry, and that's what i fear most. I know even if i don't get the insurance i'll go and buy it anyway..but it's $700 i shouldn't have to pay for someone elses mistake.

Just looking at my car with the stock 16"s back on again breaks my heart, i guess i'll truly appreciate more when i get them back on again though. Gotta look at the bright side, no matter how hard it's hiding.
i would get the new rims or a whole 4 of them and charge them for it.
eg use a sheriff to collect the money off them.

and sell the 2 good ones to me [=
hehe

sooty
6th November 2007, 04:44 PM
They said i didn't need to...just car...unlimited mods and they just said, yeah it's cool, no worries. i was like do you need to take anything down and they were just like nah it's cool....

Shit happens... stupid assholes cause it...and the rest of us have to put up with the smell...

sooty
6th November 2007, 04:46 PM
and sell the 2 good ones to me [=
hehe

There's 3 good ones....don't think i could claim all four lol...bad luck for you...:D

sooty
6th November 2007, 05:14 PM
As i hit the gutter fairly hard (at about 40-50km/h) i am also concerned about the suspension, steering arm etc...where's the best place to get it checked?

bornwild
6th November 2007, 05:26 PM
Your Holden service :). Tell them to check. Or just go under the car and check a few things yourself.

sooty
6th November 2007, 05:32 PM
Well when i had the wheel off i had a quick check and everything seems ok...but then again i don't really know what i'm supposed to be checking for.

Holden gonna charge me anything for it?
Thanks for your help

bornwild
6th November 2007, 07:39 PM
Mate, go for a drive on the freeway....if you notice any unusual shaking in the steering wheel then something is ****ed. But manufactures use safety margins for this because let's face it...it's not rare that you go over curbs....hard. :)

Should be alright I reckon. Ahh and no, Holden shouldn't charge anything. Just tell them that you feel something iffy in the suspension and they'll check up. :D

skulless
6th November 2007, 11:02 PM
where they asian?
if yes, then it explains it. :p

my asian friends say i drive like a psychopath, i tell them its how normal people drive. ;)

now that's a racist comment dude, i'm an asian, any problem with that?!!!!

USC
7th November 2007, 12:39 AM
shit la...fire crackers...:p

I dont think he meant it in a racist way....

bornwild
7th November 2007, 12:46 AM
It's a stereotype....and I agree with it :P

MK
7th November 2007, 05:34 AM

send him a private PM! this tread did get off a main topic (wheel damage) in couple of places. Admin, clean it up and lets get back to the centre of the topic here...

tuzinski
7th November 2007, 08:20 AM
no problem, it was making a stereotype. :D

sorry if you took offense.

EAK33Y
7th November 2007, 08:44 AM
Are your wheels insaured?

Who are you insaured with?

When i got my 18s NRMA wouldnt insaure them cause there 18x7.5 and the stocks where 16x6

skulless
7th November 2007, 09:11 AM
no offense taken but at least dont point all the fingers at asian, i know they are terrible drivers but everyone makes mistakes.

my wheels are insured as well, i told em' i've got 17 instead of the standard 15, so is my bodykit as well

btm
7th November 2007, 09:20 AM
but at least dont point all the fingers at asian

just the ones in camry's * :p

* Not meant to offend anyone. Just a joke :)

Wraith
7th November 2007, 11:30 AM
Are they a true muilty piece rim, if so you may be able to get another outer lip

They are NOT a true multi-piece rim and from what I can see, that rim is too far gone for repair :(

Hopefully it all works out with getting a new one :)

sooty
7th November 2007, 11:38 AM
Nah they aren't a true multi piece.
And yeah...looks pretty rooted to me too.
Sorry about the stereotype, it doesn't matter who they are, the fact is...this bloke couldn't drive...that's all that matters..
Going to go get a quote now.
Thanks for all the help :D

(told just car insurance about the wheels, they said, yeah no worries, they didn't even take down any details)

Huhness
7th November 2007, 12:08 PM
just the ones in camry's * :p

* Not meant to offend anyone. Just a joke :)
I drive a camry what are you trying to say???! :mad:

btm
7th November 2007, 12:20 PM
I drive a camry what are you trying to say???! :mad:

like i said, just a joke buddy

but i must admit, i have certainly seen with my own two eyes a hell of a lot of bad drivers on the roads and a lot of them drive camry's - its a known fact

its like bogans and old commodores... its a fact :D

Huhness
7th November 2007, 12:21 PM
like i said, just a joke buddy

but i must admit, i have certainly seen with my own two eyes a hell of a lot of bad drivers on the roads and a lot of them drive camry's - its a known fact
Hahahaha just tugging ya chain.. Camry drivers are pretty bad.. I think thats why my dads car is targeted so much at shopping centers... :p

reedaaron
7th November 2007, 02:58 PM
i agree totally with btm on that... most... not all are bad... just most...

no offence to anyone who drives a camry here :rolleyes:

Huhness
7th November 2007, 03:12 PM
i agree totally with btm on that... most... not all are bad... just most...

no offence to anyone who drives a camry here :rolleyes:
Whats wrong with camrys their just like a lexus! No one complains about lexus drivers???

*Opens a whole new can of worms* :boohoo:

I had an accident with a asian lady and she wouldn't give me her details?? It was my fault and she kept insisting i pay her money there and then!!?

My mum also had an accident with an aussie lawer/real estate agent (WHAT A COMBO!!) and even though it was his fault he pissed off my mums insurance company so much with his bitching and whining they payed for the damage!! my mums record doesn't show she was at fault and her excess hasn't changed but shows you how much of a scummy bastard lawers and real estate agents are.. Sorry didn't mean to offend any asians earlier.. Lawers and real estate agents go to hell... :angel: Stupid ****s

btm
7th November 2007, 03:20 PM
Lawers and real estate agents go to hell... :angel: Stupid ****s

bahahahaha :D

Huhness
7th November 2007, 03:23 PM
bahahahaha :D
Sorry i've recently been bent over and raped by both... :p Probably while i'm sleeping too!

btm
7th November 2007, 03:26 PM
its funny you say that, cause i am seeing both my solicitor and realestate agent tonight :)

bornwild
7th November 2007, 03:30 PM
its funny you say that, cause i am seeing both my solicitor and realestate agent tonight :)

That's a guaranteed root!! Which way is unknown :p

btm
7th November 2007, 03:32 PM
wow has this thread changed topics a lot :D

Huhness
7th November 2007, 03:32 PM
My real estate agent is hot! :p but her boss who makes all the calls is an ass.. and our solicitor is an old hag who made us work everything out ourselves..

Good luck!

Back to damaged rims.. Best to get a new rim once straightened it will have cost you more than a new wheel and will probably be a way for your insurance company to take no responsibility for your car in case of an accident..

btm
7th November 2007, 03:44 PM
my solicitor is pretty hot, and my realestate agent is a bit of a cougar ;)

bornwild
7th November 2007, 07:40 PM
PM me her phone number :cool:

shoey85
7th November 2007, 07:49 PM
would go to a propper tyre shop, bob jayne or similar get the allignment etc checked, fk holden, i would rather pay somone who knows about suspension.

MatsHolden
7th November 2007, 07:56 PM
would go to a propper tyre shop, bob jayne or similar get the allignment etc checked, fk holden, i would rather pay somone who knows about suspension.

Diese110, definately take it to a good Holden dealer to have it checked out. Will they charge, probably as it's not a warranty thing. I had a similar incident with a gutter, slightly worse as it needed to be towed but the things you will need to have looked at are the control arm and strut. My control arm was bent at 45+ degrees and strut was rooted along with the rim. Tyre was fine though surprisingly!

sooty
7th November 2007, 09:15 PM
Diese110, definately take it to a good Holden dealer to have it checked out. Will they charge, probably as it's not a warranty thing. I had a similar incident with a gutter, slightly worse as it needed to be towed but the things you will need to have looked at are the control arm and strut. My control arm was bent at 45+ degrees and strut was rooted along with the rim. Tyre was fine though surprisingly!

I'm on hols atm so not driving it too much, getting the wheel on friday so i'll chuck them all back on then take it to either bridgestone or holden for a check up. The wheel alignment is definitely kicked out of wack a bit. Hopefully nothing major.

bornwild
7th November 2007, 09:27 PM
Did insurance pay for the wheel???

sooty
7th November 2007, 09:32 PM
They agreed to pay $300 and said they would contest it with insurance..So i took the $300...there's no way i'd win...it'd be put as a 50/50. I'll only be a little bit out of pocket so it works out ok.
Just one of those things that happens i guess

bornwild
7th November 2007, 09:39 PM
That's ****ed.

Huhness
8th November 2007, 08:14 AM
Should have just let him hit you... Seen this happen too much! Swerve to miss a moron hitting you, you hit something and the moron drives away not giving a shit about you..!

btm
8th November 2007, 08:29 AM
Should have just let him hit you... Seen this happen too much! Swerve to miss a moron hitting you, you hit something and the moron drives away not giving a shit about you..!

happens all to often unfortunatly