PDA

View Full Version : i30 CDRi

digifish
5th November 2007, 05:07 PM
Looks like Hyundai is on a winner with this...

http://www.caradvice.com.au/7707/greener-hyundai-i30-crdi/

http://editorial.carsales.com.au/car-review/2827656.aspx

it makes the Astra CDTi look like a BIG DUMB BUS! :D

bornwild
5th November 2007, 05:09 PM
lawl :D don't like Hyundai but they are certainly doing a much better job at improving their line-up than some companies*cough*Holden*cough* :D

tuzinski
5th November 2007, 05:28 PM
not more diesel crap....

SRI Wannabe
5th November 2007, 06:05 PM
not more diesel crap....

* 2 :rolleyes:

digifish
5th November 2007, 06:27 PM
* 2 :rolleyes:

You guys need to get over your dieselphobia :P

maloo97
5th November 2007, 06:45 PM
You guys need to get over your dieselphobia :P

Speak for yourself.

Shaun
5th November 2007, 07:06 PM
The i 30 is a Great package for the money. I think it will give the others in its class a run for its money.

Vectracious
5th November 2007, 09:18 PM
3.2L/100km is crazy, but how was it achieved? 100km/h or 80km/h.. Aircon on or off...

Basically, how close was it to real life?

skulless
5th November 2007, 09:20 PM
holy crap. 3.2l for every 100k. this will save us thousands of dollars in petrol every year.

digifish
5th November 2007, 09:27 PM
3.2L/100km is crazy, but how was it achieved? 100km/h or 80km/h.. Aircon on or off...

Basically, how close was it to real life?

It was probably following a solar car ~70-90 km hr air-con off

digifish

dieselhead
5th November 2007, 09:36 PM
Oh, please give me a break! 3.2 litres/100km is not something you achieve every day. Sure, I could get my oiler in 6th and head to Darwin at 80 km/h, for something like 3.7 l/100km. Who the hell drives like that, normally?! I also read somewhere that Audi was bullshitting about their TDi, that will do 3.7 l/100km or something... What exactly is that proving? Is like saying "look, my new shiny Commodore does 8.2 l/100km! (if I drive like I'm half dead that is...)" :)
I say jump in the car and drive interstate as we all do, with aircon on, at speeds close to the legal limit, and then check your economy. Or take it for a spin at peak hour in Sydney and see how much fuel you save, compared with a similar size petrol car. Everything else is just a publicity stunt imho

USC
5th November 2007, 09:40 PM
bear in mind that it is a 1.6L diesel..so it would be heaps better on fuel than the astra. I actually think the i30 looks better than the astra diesel...:D

Shaun
5th November 2007, 09:44 PM
Offical Figures from Goverment test are 4.8lt /100km. Hyundai are Leaps and bounds a head of other Manfacturers in techology in some respects. And i believe they are in there Diesel Techology. have a look at the videos on the Hyundai New Zealand website. some interesting ones there. Take alook at there Head office " Rolling Hills" for there Engeerners in one of the videos. says a lot about the company i think.

www.hyundai.co.nz

Shaun
5th November 2007, 10:00 PM
for those who look for the adverts go into about and you will find them there. Hyundai in NZ have a full range of Diesels. I dare say it will only be a matter of time before they hit the Australian Market.

Shaun
5th November 2007, 10:10 PM
I actually think the i30 looks better than the astra diesel...:D
Ive been waiting for someone to say that !! Be prepared though to get the flame proof suit on though... Im Sure someone will challange your comment. But i fully support it

tuzinski
5th November 2007, 10:17 PM
Ive been waiting for someone to say that !! Be prepared though to get the flame proof suit on though... Im Sure someone will challange your comment. But i fully support it
i agree the i30 does look really nice. :D

now go flame me "dumb bus drivers" ;)

dieselhead
5th November 2007, 10:24 PM
well, if you like it that much just go and buy one :)
I'm happy with the Astra, thanks.

bornwild
5th November 2007, 10:24 PM
It doesn't look shabby, but in no respect better than the Astra. Mainly cause it has parts from 5 other cars glued onto it. And the front is hideous.

maloo97
5th November 2007, 10:25 PM
While we are on the Topic of admitting things I actually think Hyundai are getting it together. Id consider one as a every day car. I Think they have got it together specially the sr model. Other Car companys will find it hard againts this mob now.

dieselhead
5th November 2007, 10:28 PM
it doesn't look too bad I guess, but needs more power. A 1.6 litre Diesel just won't cut it for me. I'm happy to burn an extra litre/100km for the extra torque and power :)

maloo97
5th November 2007, 10:47 PM
Also cant complain about there 5 yr, unlimited km warranty.

dieselhead
5th November 2007, 10:52 PM
I can't see any reason to buy, for the same money, a Hyundai that has 85 kW vs. Astra's 110kw and 255 Nm vs 320Nm. Sorry but it wouldn't make any sense, not to me. If you wanna save fuel driving a Diesel you could buy a Punto 1.3 litre. Cheaper and looks better, too.

digifish
5th November 2007, 11:01 PM
I can't see any reason to buy, for the same money, a Hyundai that has 85 kW vs. Astra's 110kw and 255 Nm vs 320Nm. Sorry but it wouldn't make any sense, not to me. If you wanna save fuel driving a Diesel you could buy a Punto 1.3 litre. Cheaper and looks better, too.

The important thing about the Hyundai is the $21,490 entry price for a diesel.

In order to encourage Australians into diesels the marketing departments had to start with the sportier models...the next wave is the real economical models...and here it comes.

I suspect the torque makes it a nice drive too. 85kW/255Nm isn't bad at all...what is the SRi Barina? (92 kw/165 Nm)

digifish

dieselhead
5th November 2007, 11:04 PM
Sorry, my bad, I was looking at the higher spec model that sell for almost $26k... You can actually buy a Hyundai i30 SX Turbo Diesel (http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/Hyundai/Hyundai-i30-SX-Turbo-Diesel.cfm)
for $20,990!

digifish
5th November 2007, 11:07 PM
Sorry, my bad, I was looking at the higher spec model that sell for almost $27k... You can actually buy a Hyundai i30 SX Turbo Diesel (http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/Hyundai/Hyundai-i30-SX-Turbo-Diesel.cfm)
for $20,990!

...and it includes 5 Years/130,000km Manufacturers Warranty.

This is a great deal.

maloo97
5th November 2007, 11:13 PM
Therefore its not that bad at all.

digifish
5th November 2007, 11:19 PM

Why do people bother to argue about these things? I think I like the look of the Hyundai...but then again neither of them are design classics.

I have a CDTi and I think it's a bit wierd/girly looking...but I love the way it drives and that's the main thing for me.

EDIT: Actually I am struggling to love the looks of any car...they all date so quickly...

digifish

USC
5th November 2007, 11:44 PM
It doesn't look shabby, but in no respect better than the Astra. Mainly cause it has parts from 5 other cars glued onto it. And the front is hideous.

you think so? What are the 5 other cars? I cant wait to hear them. I dont think the front is hideous at all...I think the huge chrome headlights of the my7.5 astras are hideous.

U reckon the astra is SOLELY opel? It`s a GM brand, it has parts from everywhere. Some parts are even manufactured in mexico (for example door hinge pins etc). And the CCC logo on the glass of the astra is the chinese approval. A lot of the engine parts are made by bosch. the seats are third party, etc.

dieselhead
6th November 2007, 07:21 AM
If you think thei30 is cheap, wait to see the price of Kia's cee'd (http://ceed.kiamotors.com/), virtually the same car!

digifish
6th November 2007, 08:25 AM
If you think thei30 is cheap, wait to see the price of Kia's cee'd (http://ceed.kiamotors.com/), virtually the same car!

Interesting...

BTW ...on a similar theme, I think Skoda is going to knock the stuffing out of VW sales, I think VW have way over-estimated their brand loyalty in Aus, the Skoda is a great bargan.

btm
6th November 2007, 09:06 AM
seems exceptional value to me. but i havent driven one, so i cant comment on that

cbrmale
6th November 2007, 10:47 AM
I had a Hyundai Elantra XD, and never again! The XD was a big improvement for Hyundai at the time, but it wasn't well sorted in a few areas. It handled okay, the steering was dead, the brakes lacked power. Reliability was a problem, it needed a five year warranty.

The i30 is an improvement, but under the skin it is HD Elantra, and therefore based on my XD. It won't have the awesome roadholding of an Astra, nor the sharp steering and fantastic brakes. And reliability will be questionable.

The 1.6 diesel lacks power: 85kw isn't much (0-100 in about 11 seconds isn't quick). The 2 litre petrol lacks torque, I know this, very flat in the midrange. It would be competitive against a 1.8 Astra, but not against the 2.2 Astra SRi nor the 2 litre turbos.

As always with Hyundai the SR model is just wide wheels and body kit, but the underpinnings let it down.

bornwild
6th November 2007, 01:32 PM
you think so? What are the 5 other cars? I cant wait to hear them. I dont think the front is hideous at all...I think the huge chrome headlights of the my7.5 astras are hideous.

U reckon the astra is SOLELY opel? It`s a GM brand, it has parts from everywhere. Some parts are even manufactured in mexico (for example door hinge pins etc). And the CCC logo on the glass of the astra is the chinese approval. A lot of the engine parts are made by bosch. the seats are third party, etc.

I meant the looks :p:p

bornwild
6th November 2007, 01:33 PM
I had a Hyundai Elantra XD, and never again! The XD was a big improvement for Hyundai at the time, but it wasn't well sorted in a few areas. It handled okay, the steering was dead, the brakes lacked power. Reliability was a problem, it needed a five year warranty.

The i30 is an improvement, but under the skin it is HD Elantra, and therefore based on my XD. It won't have the awesome roadholding of an Astra, nor the sharp steering and fantastic brakes. And reliability will be questionable.

The 1.6 diesel lacks power: 85kw isn't much (0-100 in about 11 seconds isn't quick). The 2 litre petrol lacks torque, I know this, very flat in the midrange. It would be competitive against a 1.8 Astra, but not against the 2.2 Astra SRi nor the 2 litre turbos.

As always with Hyundai the SR model is just wide wheels and body kit, but the underpinnings let it down.

+1....:) Exactly right!

Shaun
6th November 2007, 06:17 PM

A 5 Year warranty is a Very good selling point of a Hyundai. The avarage Australian Family is in Debt for about $450,000 - $500,000 for a house on the eastern sea board . Rasing on Average 2-3 Children . When you look at it from that Aspect the Hyundai with 5 Year Warranty is looking very affordable and a good choice in the aspect it not going to cost them an arm and a leg to maintain i think the i30 has many points that will get it over the line.

As for people who say they are poorly built and designed i challange you to point out any bad Publicity in terms of any Hyundai Product of the last 7 years that has been labelled a "lemon" in the press.

I think you will be Hard up finding it. Considering the Getz and Sonata have both won Awards in the " Australias Best " testing.

In Other Hyundai News in 2008 in the 1st QTR they are entering the Light Commerical Market with the H Van. A Van that is Like a Mercedes Benz Vito in terms of walk through capablitys. I believe the H1 will have a 5 year warranty which would make it best warranty package with in the market.
Shaun

Shaun
6th November 2007, 06:35 PM

Consider this then. Under the AH Body lies a TS Platform thats Been " Re Hashed" Meaning that they have worked on some of the aspects the TS Astra had wrong with it and addressed them in the AH.

So your trying to us that they havent improved on the Platform.. I find this EXTREMELY hard to swallow.

Again People Buying a Hyundai arent looking for out and out Road Preformance. They are buying them for day to day use to get to arround to do there daily task.

I Also wouldnt be saying the AH 2.2 Is a " Power House " or a " Preformance" Car. The Only thing Opel Make in the Astra range that has any "Prefromance Status" Would be the SRi Turbo and the VXR/OPC. To those who own a 2.2 SRi in either a TS or AH dont take it as im bagging your car out im trying to prove the point that they arent exactly " Preformance cars" just like the i30 isnt " Preformance Model" . Even your Arguement about the Diesel in the i30 being soft is poor. The Diesel i30 will sell alone on its price and its fuel consumption figures. I know i would consider one. Even a 2.0 Ltr Petrol Version. This is coming from someone who has a HSV VXR . I will openly say i would have happy if i needed to trade in my VXR in on something with 5 doors because i needed something more practical i would more then likely be looking into a i30 very hard or i could have the choice of having a second car sitting in the Drive way next to my VXR the i30 would rate very High in the evaluation process.

Shaun
6th November 2007, 07:00 PM

I totally agree. the Chrome Head Lamps look rubbish and CHEAP.

USC i think i have worked out what it is with the People here and there Narrow Mindness. Its because the Brand "Opel" is a " German " Brand. And the stigma of "German" Built cars is held in " High" Regards. Meaning that some people on here have this " Stigma" they drive one of " Germanys" finest.

So lets look reasonably. O.k the Opel Product isnt bad for what you pay. Ill give it that.You do get a lot of car for what you pay. But they have there fair share of issues. For a start they have a larger Maintance cost then say a Hyundai or a Toyota . Hang one a second. Lets look at this logically. You can service a SV6 VE for a fraction of the price of a Astra CD on a 60,000km Major Service.

The $23,000 Hyundai all of a Sudden is starting to look very good in my eyes . Considering the the i30 service intervals are every 15,000 like the Astra
and the cost of your major service would pay for 3 minor services on you i30 its starting to make sense that why people buy them.

Dont get me wrong People. I like the Opel Product but its a far cry from being perfect. They Hyundai on the over hand for the money you pay your getting value and i can honestly say when i had my 2000 model excel for 3 years it ran trouble free with the exception of a coil pack failing at 60,000km due to some water entering the coil pack when i used a hi pressure washer to clean undet the bonnet ( Onwers fault not a Product Faut)

Vectracious
6th November 2007, 07:13 PM
USC i think i have worked out what it is with the People here and there Narrow Mindness. Its because the Brand "Opel" is a " German " Brand. And the stigma of "German" Built cars is held in " High" Regards. Meaning that some people on here have this " Stigma" they drive one of " Germanys" finest.

Opel/Vauxhall is seen as bottom of the barrel over in Europe. Just like everyone has a go at Holden calling Commodores "Commonwhores" etc etc - same with Opel. The Vectra is a Rep car and Astra's are everywhere.

Let's be realistic :)

digifish
6th November 2007, 07:19 PM
Opel/Vauxhall is seen as bottom of the barrel over in Europe. Just like everyone has a go at Holden calling Commodores "Commonwhores" etc etc - same with Opel. The Vectra is a Rep car and Astra's are everywhere.

Hang on the Korean cars are seen at the bottom of the heap. Although I agree opel = holden in Germany and UK.

Golfs are everywhere too...and many people see the Golf and Astra as on par (from my conversations over there Germany/UK).

digifish

bornwild
6th November 2007, 07:35 PM
Golf and Astra are on par in Europe. There is no such cars as Holden and Ford in Europe because...well....they have too many manufacturers to have only 2 stereotypes.

The low end of the market in Europe are Italian cars followed by French and Asian.

Although, I must say, Kia and Hyundai have been gaining on popularity because the very fact that they moved their design and engineering studios to Germany. The Kia Cee'd is Kia's first German designed and engineered car entering the market and has received good reviews over there in Germany.

But yes, Shaun. I do have to agree with you on that point. The Hyundai certainly offers something for the folk who want a nice brand-new car but don't want to spend a fortune.

USC
6th November 2007, 08:11 PM
Astra in many parts of the world is definitely NOT a prestige/sports car and behind our jap friends. Although, the newer TS and AH are nice drives, older astras used to be unreliable and cheaply built.

SO stop saying hyundais are crap because they are not. The old ones used to be but they have improved considerably.

digifish
6th November 2007, 08:16 PM
Astra in many parts of the world is definitely NOT a prestige/sports car

"many parts"?

I'd say *any* parts!

...except places where the Oxen is still a primary means of transport :)

digifish

Shaun
6th November 2007, 08:30 PM

I ment on this forum. I know and agree with what your saying. Opel is like Daewoo is here in Europe.

Vectracious
6th November 2007, 08:33 PM
A lot of people I know over there would not put the Astra and Golf on par. Golf is the gold standard in hatchbacks. The Astra is a reasonable inexpensive GM product.

The whole stereotype that Italian cars are shit is about 20 years old now - Fiat has picked their game up in recent years and is turning out decent cars - drove a Punto and a Panda and both were finished off very well with no squeaks/rattles - and they were hire cars. If anything, I'd put Opel cars at that level - definately not however with a VW.

bornwild
6th November 2007, 09:41 PM
A lot of people I know over there would not put the Astra and Golf on par. Golf is the gold standard in hatchbacks. The Astra is a reasonable inexpensive GM product.

The whole stereotype that Italian cars are shit is about 20 years old now - Fiat has picked their game up in recent years and is turning out decent cars - drove a Punto and a Panda and both were finished off very well with no squeaks/rattles - and they were hire cars. If anything, I'd put Opel cars at that level - definately not however with a VW.

Fiat's only good quality overall pacakage is the new 500 :) The Punto's quality is a shocker....there's glue sticking out everywhere they used it on the inside trim!!!!

Vectracious
6th November 2007, 10:24 PM
Fiat's only good quality overall pacakage is the new 500 :) The Punto's quality is a shocker....there's glue sticking out everywhere they used it on the inside trim!!!!

Not the one I drove and that was an 04 model.

cbrmale
7th November 2007, 09:08 AM
Consider this then. Under the AH Body lies a TS Platform thats Been " Re Hashed" Meaning that they have worked on some of the aspects the TS Astra had wrong with it and addressed them in the AH.

So your trying to us that they havent improved on the Platform.. I find this EXTREMELY hard to swallow.

Again People Buying a Hyundai arent looking for out and out Road Preformance. They are buying them for day to day use to get to arround to do there daily task.

I Also wouldnt be saying the AH 2.2 Is a " Power House " or a " Preformance" Car. The Only thing Opel Make in the Astra range that has any "Prefromance Status" Would be the SRi Turbo and the VXR/OPC. To those who own a 2.2 SRi in either a TS or AH dont take it as im bagging your car out im trying to prove the point that they arent exactly " Preformance cars" just like the i30 isnt " Preformance Model" . Even your Arguement about the Diesel in the i30 being soft is poor. The Diesel i30 will sell alone on its price and its fuel consumption figures. I know i would consider one. Even a 2.0 Ltr Petrol Version. This is coming from someone who has a HSV VXR . I will openly say i would have happy if i needed to trade in my VXR in on something with 5 doors because i needed something more practical i would more then likely be looking into a i30 very hard or i could have the choice of having a second car sitting in the Drive way next to my VXR the i30 would rate very High in the evaluation process.

I am a member of the international Elantra discussion group, and the problems with the new platform (HD sedan / i30 hatch) are so numerous that I decided to by an Astra instead! Indeed, the new platform seems to be more problem-prone than the XD - the new bits (steering and rear suspension) are causing a lot of grief. At the same time, the usual Hyundai weaknesses (poor panel fit, poor paint finish, shoddy electrics) haven't been resolved. At the end, I decided why buy a second-rate Korean imitation of a European car, when I can buy the real thing. Ninety percent of my decision was based on the problems with the new platform.

I used to drive a 2 litre XD, which is lighter and therefore a little bit faster than the new i30 with the same motor. I now drive a 2.2 Astra, and by comparison it is much better. Of course the 2.2 is not a 'powerhouse', and its not intended to be! It is quicker than a stock 1.8, which is where Holden were coming from.

Compared to my Hyundai, the 2.2 is much smoother, but also much more torquey. I've driven the 2.2 over the same roads as my old Elantra, and every time it amazes me. Where the Elantra would struggle up grades to the point of needing a downchange (or two), the Astra sails along effortlessly. Where you wouldn't overtake with the Elantra, you're past in the Astra before you know it. For give-and-take country driving, the 2.2 is much more impressive than many give it credit for. Come across a slow car towing at eighty and zoom past. B-double labouring on an upgrade - no problems at all.

Fuel economy over the life of the Elantra: 8.5 litres / 100km. With the Astra over 5,600km: 8.5 litres / 100km also. Looks like the tricky direct injection is worth something after all - more performance from a bigger motor in a heavier car with better fuel economy than I expected.

I was sucked into the Elantra because Hyundai offered a lot of car for the money. And it did the job, but there were too many problems with it for my liking.

digifish
7th November 2007, 09:19 AM
I was sucked into the Elantra because Hyundai offered a lot of car for the money. And it did the job, but there were too many problems with it for my liking.

But you did get a 5 year warranty so you didn't pay anything for those problems?

My CDTi has spent 2 weeks at the dealer in the last year getting a couple of issues fixed...it's not all roses there either.

That said, I work in R&D of a multi-national manufacturing company and I know how difficult it is to get simple products right. I am AMAZED that any car (even the worst) works as well as it does...knowing what I know I'd expect them to fall into a heap of smoking parts as soon as you drive out of the dealer :)

For me it's not so much important how free of niggles a car is, but how the dealer/manufacturer treat you when problems happen. In my case Claridge Holden in Adelaide has been excellent (free cars, direct access to mechanics to discuss things, positive and helpful). Because of this, I will be willing to buy the next Astra (so long as it has 400 nM and 150 kW :))... BTW I have had a shabby time with the local VW dealer so go figure.

digifish

cbrmale
7th November 2007, 09:27 AM
I totally agree. the Chrome Head Lamps look rubbish and CHEAP.

So lets look reasonably. O.k the Opel Product isnt bad for what you pay. Ill give it that.You do get a lot of car for what you pay. But they have there fair share of issues. For a start they have a larger Maintance cost then say a Hyundai or a Toyota . Hang one a second. Lets look at this logically. You can service a SV6 VE for a fraction of the price of a Astra CD on a 60,000km Major Service.

The $23,000 Hyundai all of a Sudden is starting to look very good in my eyes . Considering the the i30 service intervals are every 15,000 like the Astra
and the cost of your major service would pay for 3 minor services on you i30 its starting to make sense that why people buy them.

Dont get me wrong People. I like the Opel Product but its a far cry from being perfect. They Hyundai on the over hand for the money you pay your getting value and i can honestly say when i had my 2000 model excel for 3 years it ran trouble free with the exception of a coil pack failing at 60,000km due to some water entering the coil pack when i used a hi pressure washer to clean undet the bonnet ( Onwers fault not a Product Faut)

I hope you buy a Hyundai, and you can share your 'experiences' with us.

As far as maintenance goes, one of the advantages of my 2.2 is that it will be cheaper. The 2.2 has chain-driven overhead camshafts and platinum sparkplugs, so savings there. The Elantra needs manual adjustment (by shim washers) of the cam buckets (labour-intensive), as well as a new cam belt at 90,000. My Elantra's 90,000 service (including auto transmission fluid change) came to just over one-thousand dollars.

The one thing I will agree (as will most on the forum) is that the Opel / Vauxhall Astra is everyman's car in Britain and Europe, indeed it is the largest selling model in Britain at the moment. But it is a good car with a better-sorted chassis than what is normal for the Japanese or Koreans. For some reasons, the Europeans can build a mass-produced chassis with taught handling and supple ride, which is a compromise that often defeats the rest (Mazda is one exception - but they are based on European Fords).

My absolute worst drive - any Toyota. I've driven both Corollas and Camrys, and they were bloody terrible, even my Elantra seemed tight and sporty by comparison. Toyota, a reputation for reliability (somewhat tarnished in the recent past) but drive like a landing barge.

cbrmale
7th November 2007, 09:35 AM
But you did get a 5 year warranty so you didn't pay anything for those problems?

My CDTi has spent 2 weeks at the dealer in the last year getting a couple of issues fixed...it's not all roses there either.

That said, I work in R&D of a multi-national manufacturing company and I know how difficult it is to get simple products right. I am AMAZED that any car (even the worst) works as well as it does...knowing what I know I'd expect them to fall into a heap of smoking parts as soon as you drive out of the dealer :)

For me it's not so much important how free of niggles a car is, but how the dealer/manufacturer treat you when problems happen. In my case Claridge Holden in Adelaide has been excellent (free cars, direct access to mechanics to discuss things, positive and helpful). Because of this, I will be willing to buy the next Astra (so long as it has 400 nM and 150 kW :))... BTW I have had a shabby time with the local VW dealer so go figure.

digifish

Yes and no. I don't do much mileage so I keep my cars more than five years, and after five years I started to worry.

Within the five years, when it broke down just before an interstate drive home and had to be towed, it was awful timing. During the warranty period I got sick of taking it back to the dealer all the time to get it fixed. I sold it with a cracked exhaust manifold (a common fault with that engine) which was going to cost $3,000 to fix! If Hyundai had come to the party and supplied the part out of warranty (given the known problems with the part), I would be less bitter. But they didn't.

The new car is more problematic, but Hyundai seemed to have upgraded the welding on the rear suspension, so lets see if this fixes that problem. You ought to see the pictures I've seen - they are terrible! Honestly, any manufacturer who can design something so second-rate and build it so third-rate doesn't deserve to sell ANY cars, really they don't.

USC
7th November 2007, 10:02 AM
Yes and no. I don't do much mileage so I keep my cars more than five years, and after five years I started to worry.

Within the five years, when it broke down just before an interstate drive home and had to be towed, it was awful timing. During the warranty period I got sick of taking it back to the dealer all the time to get it fixed. I sold it with a cracked exhaust manifold (a common fault with that engine) which was going to cost $3,000 to fix! If Hyundai had come to the party and supplied the part out of warranty (given the known problems with the part), I would be less bitter. But they didn't.

The new car is more problematic, but Hyundai seemed to have upgraded the welding on the rear suspension, so lets see if this fixes that problem. You ought to see the pictures I've seen - they are terrible! Honestly, any manufacturer who can design something so second-rate and build it so third-rate doesn't deserve to sell ANY cars, really they don't.

dude, u prob had a lemon (every companies have a few of them)...i owned a 1996 elantra gls and it was not too bad!never overheated, started all the time on first crank...dunno what u r talking about.

re: poor paint: that is complete bullshit...my new astra had a few chips from brand new, 2 small dents on roof, heaps of dust particles in factory paint all over the car! way worst than jap cars. also, check the trim that sits at the bottom of the a pillar near the windscreen..i bet the double sided tape is coming apart!

re:toyota: u r probably biased towards european cars mate.

I am not saying astras arent good (they are awesome...thats why I got one) but other car manufacturers are quite good too!

re: hyundai feel tighter than a toyota: now u r contradicting yourself.

btm
7th November 2007, 10:13 AM
i am not a fan of toyota build... but then again i have only driven an echo

hired a hyundai accent whilst down in tassie and was pretty impressed

cbrmale
7th November 2007, 11:12 AM
dude, u prob had a lemon (every companies have a few of them)...i owned a 1996 elantra gls and it was not too bad!never overheated, started all the time on first crank...dunno what u r talking about.

re: poor paint: that is complete bullshit...my new astra had a few chips from brand new, 2 small dents on roof, heaps of dust particles in factory paint all over the car! way worst than jap cars. also, check the trim that sits at the bottom of the a pillar near the windscreen..i bet the double sided tape is coming apart!

re:toyota: u r probably biased towards european cars mate.

I am not saying astras arent good (they are awesome...thats why I got one) but other car manufacturers are quite good too!

re: hyundai feel tighter than a toyota: now u r contradicting yourself.

I call them as they are. I had a manual Corolla hire car and I drove on a winding road though a national park to get to work and it was terrible! Sloppy handling, tyres scrubbing at speeds where the Elantra would be hanging on. Next visit a Camry, and it was worse! Big sloppy barge, very low levels of grip.

Yes, the Elantra was a much better set-up chassis than either of those Toyotas. When I bought the Elantra, US tests on the Internet said as much, it actually handled okay. Not as good as an Astra, but not bad either.

If I there were two hire cars available, I would pick a Hyundai over a Toyota. In one case (the Corolla), they gave it to me instead of a Hyundai as a favour. Some favour!

As for your experience, you were lucky. As to my experience, most of the things that failed on my Elantra were 'known' faults with the XD. Viz the radio / CD, the key remote, the hatch struts, the front brake rotors (twice) and the exhaust manifold. All of these are documented recurrent problems with the XD Elantra. The only things that weren't on the 'trouble' list was the wiring short and some stretched radiator hose clamps.

Surprise, surprise: the replacement key remote, hatch struts, brake rotors and (if I bought it) the exhaust manifold were components redesigned during the life of the car. No lemon, it was designed that way.

Wraith
7th November 2007, 11:17 AM

Agree, compared to the 5 door CDTi, this Hyundai is miles ahead in looks/appeal ;)

Wraith
7th November 2007, 11:19 AM
While we are on the Topic of admitting things I actually think Hyundai are getting it together. Id consider one as a every day car. I Think they have got it together specially the sr model. Other Car companys will find it hard againts this mob now.

Agree, with the above also.....

If I ever wanted an everyday cheap car to run, this would be it :)

Wraith
7th November 2007, 11:25 AM
Golf and Astra are on par in Europe. There is no such cars as Holden and Ford in Europe because...well....they have too many manufacturers to have only 2 stereotypes.

The low end of the market in Europe are Italian cars followed by French and Asian.

Although, I must say, Kia and Hyundai have been gaining on popularity because the very fact that they moved their design and engineering studios to Germany. The Kia Cee'd is Kia's first German designed and engineered car entering the market and has received good reviews over there in Germany.

But yes, Shaun. I do have to agree with you on that point. The Hyundai certainly offers something for the folk who want a nice brand-new car but don't want to spend a fortune.

LOL Being from Germany, you should know that both run of the mil model BMW and Mercedes are their equivalents of Holden and Ford here :D

They use em for taxis LOL.....

The respected brand there is Porsche !

Only the high po models of BMW and Merc are looked at with any cred ;)

And yes the Hyundai i30 will do well for the company.... :)

digifish
7th November 2007, 11:46 AM
No lemon, it was designed that way.

OK now read this :)

http://forum.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7720

See any patterns in the failures?

digifish

cbrmale
7th November 2007, 01:37 PM
OK now read this :)

http://forum.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7720

See any patterns in the failures?

digifish

I saw (and know about) the CIM, and I also know about a couple of other things (the diesel egr valve - since fixed, the creaks from the side airbag compartment, creaking steering - since fixed, and the creaks from the rear suspension - actually a 'feature' not a fault). There's a few other Astra H problems, but the CIM seems to be the most common.

If we wanted really reliable, we would buy Japanese (I once had a fully imported Nissan in the early '80s, and over 90,000km NOTHING went wrong with it). This time I didn't buy Japanese because they are (a) a bit pedestrian (Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi) and / or (b) a bit expensive (Mazda 3 2.3 is a good car, but a lot more expensive than what I bought).

I would love Hyundai to bring out a great car, and I would buy one if they did. What they need to do is make sure that each new model doesn't bring a list of new faults and they also need to fit a better engine than the Beta. They actually have one, an all-alloy 2.4 litre with counter-balance shafts, and this would make the SR Elantra VERY special. But to fit the Theta engine would make the car more expensive, and suddenly it isn't such great value anymore.

bornwild
7th November 2007, 01:47 PM
Nah you'd be surprised!! The balance of cars in Germany is beautiful!! Skoda has in recent times, since bought by the VW Group, picked up on the market share.

In Germany the market share goes like this:
-15% BMW
-15% Merc
-20% VW
-10% Audi
-15% Opel
-7% Skoda
-10% Ford Europe
-4% Renault, Peugeot, Citroen, Fiat
-1% Porsche + Other supercars
-3% Other manufacturers(Toyota, Honda etc...)

But Germans, as such, only like German products. And I don't blame them. I still have a 15yr old Adidas jumper which was made in Munchen and it hasn't even lost it's color nor has the elasticity gone!!!! They make everything to perfection....face it. Only thing I can see going wrong with Germany is their borders opening much more, being subjected to the influence of Anglophone working culture...

btm
7th November 2007, 02:02 PM
In Germany the market share goes like this:
-15% BMW
-15% Merc
-20% VW
-10% Audi
-15% Opel

OT: i had this question in a trivia comp the other night

I got it right :)

cbrmale
7th November 2007, 03:10 PM
I was in Europe on holiday last month, and France looks similar to Germany. If it wasn't a Peugeot it was a Renault or a Citroen! I saw a couple of Astras, but not many. In Britain, I saw a number of Astra H's, but both Ford Europe and Peugeot are also quite popular. Holland was mostly bicycles (and I am serious).

One thing that struck me was the cars are quite new. In Australia, we are used to seeing old wrecks from the eighties belching fumes and with the suspension dragging on the road, but not in Britain, France or Holland. Honestly, I don't recall seeing a car older than ten years, and most were less than five or six years old.

The other thing that struck me was the air quality. In 1990 when I first went to London and Paris, the air was putrid! Today the air is clean, much cleaner than Sydney. Today, Europe has Euro IV emission standards and most cars are relatively new.

USC
7th November 2007, 03:53 PM
I was in Europe on holiday last month, and France looks similar to Germany. If it wasn't a Peugeot it was a Renault or a Citroen! I saw a couple of Astras, but not many. In Britain, I saw a number of Astra H's, but both Ford Europe and Peugeot are also quite popular. Holland was mostly bicycles (and I am serious).

One thing that struck me was the cars are quite new. In Australia, we are used to seeing old wrecks from the eighties belching fumes and with the suspension dragging on the road, but not in Britain, France or Holland. Honestly, I don't recall seeing a car older than ten years, and most were less than five or six years old.

The other thing that struck me was the air quality. In 1990 when I first went to London and Paris, the air was putrid! Today the air is clean, much cleaner than Sydney. Today, Europe has Euro IV emission standards and most cars are relatively new.

u dont see many old cars there because cars are a lot cheaper in europe...and they depreciate VERY quickly which means if u happen to have very small accident, they will just write off and it will be worth peanuts.

Wraith
7th November 2007, 03:54 PM
I would love Hyundai to bring out a great car, and I would buy one if they did. What they need to do is make sure that each new model doesn't bring a list of new faults and they also need to fit a better engine than the Beta. They actually have one, an all-alloy 2.4 litre with counter-balance shafts, and this would make the SR Elantra VERY special. But to fit the Theta engine would make the car more expensive, and suddenly it isn't such great value anymore.

The 2008/2009 RWD Tiburon is the one for you - maybe ;)

It is interesting how recently and more so in the future, the gap between 'so called' leading car manufacturers and lesser car manufacturers is diminishing !!!

The 'so called' leading car manufacturers, BMW etc. arn't doing themselves any progress favours by resorting to cheap manufacturing/production of their cars, thus making it easier for the others to reduce the quality gap....

cbrmale
7th November 2007, 04:06 PM
u dont see many old cars there because cars are a lot cheaper in europe...and they depreciate VERY quickly which means if u happen to have very small accident, they will just write off and it will be worth peanuts.

Cheaper? I don't think so. You know how many Pounds the average income is in Britain, or how many Euros in France? Take those incomes and find some car prices and work it all out and - voila - new cars are relatively more expensive in Britain and France compared to here.

I don't disagree with the high rate of depreciation and correspondingly high rate of write-offs, but that doesn't explain the paucity of old cars.

My theory - unlike here the annual registration test has teeth, and an old bomb can't be re-registered. And most of Australia doesn't even have annual registration tests, so you can keep the unroadworthy wreck on the road as long as the engine starts and runs!

Shaun
7th November 2007, 07:10 PM
I hope you buy a Hyundai, and you can share your 'experiences' with us.

I have already owned a Hyundai. I owned a 2000 Model X3 Excel. Had a Trouble free run with it .

Apex
7th November 2007, 08:12 PM
for those who look for the adverts go into about and you will find them there. Hyundai in NZ have a full range of Diesels. I dare say it will only be a matter of time before they hit the Australian Market.

Im sure NZ is a test market for Australia, we seem to get cars 6 months to a year before you guys.

USC
7th November 2007, 09:27 PM
Cheaper? I don't think so. You know how many Pounds the average income is in Britain, or how many Euros in France? Take those incomes and find some car prices and work it all out and - voila - new cars are relatively more expensive in Britain and France compared to here.

I don't disagree with the high rate of depreciation and correspondingly high rate of write-offs, but that doesn't explain the paucity of old cars.

My theory - unlike here the annual registration test has teeth, and an old bomb can't be re-registered. And most of Australia doesn't even have annual registration tests, so you can keep the unroadworthy wreck on the road as long as the engine starts and runs!

Brand new cars might be the same price as here but second hand cars (1 year old and more) are much cheaper than in OZ. I have lived in england for a while and I know. Check the prices of cars in ebay (uk) and see for yourself.

bornwild
7th November 2007, 09:33 PM
My astra costs 20k Euros plus on-roads in Europe.....it's a 1.8l Coupe CDx.

That's about AU$37+on-roads....cheaper in Europe??......yeah lawl :D

USC
8th November 2007, 12:00 AM

I was talking UK dude...not europe..
also..I was talking about second hand..not brand new...

2002/2003 TS are selling for about 2000 quid....

2006 astras are selling for about 10,000 quid for sri models!!

cbrmale
8th November 2007, 09:14 AM

But you have to measure the cost of the car (or anything else) against the Euros that a person doing the same work as you earns. Do this, and you will find that compared to average incomes, cars (and many other things) in Europe are quite expensive. Ditto Britain, where incomes are much less than here relative to expenses.

Edit: mean average wages in France in 2003 were 17,654 Euros, while the median (mid-point) was 15,480 Euros. The mean average income in the UK in 2004 was 24,603 pounds. Average weekly earnings in Australia (mean) in 2006 was $45,502.

As for the rapid depreciation in Britain, if the MOT results in older cars forced off the road after several years (remember they do an emission compliance test as part of re-registration), then of course cars will depreciate faster. If a car is going to be uneconomical to re-register after a few years, it is effectively worthless.

USC
8th November 2007, 09:53 AM
But you have to measure the cost of the car (or anything else) against the Euros that a person doing the same work as you earns. Do this, and you will find that compared to average incomes, cars (and many other things) in Europe are quite expensive. Ditto Britain, where incomes are much less than here relative to expenses.

Edit: mean average wages in France in 2003 were 17,654 Euros, while the median (mid-point) was 15,480 Euros. The mean average income in the UK in 2004 was 24,603 pounds. Average weekly earnings in Australia (mean) in 2006 was $45,502.

As for the rapid depreciation in Britain, if the MOT results in older cars forced off the road after several years (remember they do an emission compliance test as part of re-registration), then of course cars will depreciate faster. If a car is going to be uneconomical to re-register after a few years, it is effectively worthless.

australia should start doing emission tests every year too!! get rid of all these old fords/holdens petrol suckers...very bad for our environment.

Vectracious
8th November 2007, 11:35 AM
australia should start doing emission tests every year too!! get rid of all these old fords/holdens petrol suckers...very bad for our environment.

Also all those old smoky Magnas and Lasers....

cbrmale
8th November 2007, 11:44 AM
We should be gettring rid of smoky old everythings EXCEPT that such a policy will affect the value of our cars.

As anyone who has been to Britain or Europe knows, cars are a luxury - and not as essential as here. Cities are compact with good public transport, and there is also good transport from city to city. Indeed a car can be a liability - it's like driving from Melbourne to Mildura and not being able to find a parking spot when you get there!

USC
8th November 2007, 12:10 PM
We should be gettring rid of smoky old everythings EXCEPT that such a policy will affect the value of our cars.

As anyone who has been to Britain or Europe knows, cars are a luxury - and not as essential as here. Cities are compact with good public transport, and there is also good transport from city to city. Indeed a car can be a liability - it's like driving from Melbourne to Mildura and not being able to find a parking spot when you get there!

i might sound crazy...but who cares about the value of our cars????? isnt our environment better to look after??

btm
8th November 2007, 12:36 PM
i might sound crazy...but who cares about the value of our cars????? isnt our environment better to look after??

unfortunately its not always that easy

EL BURITO
8th November 2007, 12:38 PM
i agree about the MOT thou. we really need them here, given the lines already to take your car over the pits it would require a increase in infrastructure

bornwild
8th November 2007, 01:17 PM

In order to do anything in this world you have to be able to profit. If there is anyone out there who can profit from making the planet 'greener' then it will happen very fast; but today's technology doesn't allow for this. Going greener usually means going backwards in the industry. Hence I am such a fan of diesel, you go greener at no cost. :)

But you USC don't like diesels, so why do you care if our environment is healthy? :p:p:p

btm
8th November 2007, 01:25 PM
oh no... the D word has been mentioned :rolleyes:

Wraith
8th November 2007, 01:26 PM
In order to do anything in this world you have to be able to profit. If there is anyone out there who can profit from making the planet 'greener' then it will happen very fast; but today's technology doesn't allow for this. Going greener usually means going backwards in the industry. Hence I am such a fan of diesel, you go greener at no cost. :)

But you USC don't like diesels, so why do you care if our environment is healthy? :p:p:p

Don't diesel powerplants spill out more pollutants than any other type of fuels ??? - not talking about 'biodiesel' fuels -

How can that be helping the enviroment ???

bornwild
8th November 2007, 01:38 PM
Don't diesel powerplants spill out more pollutants than any other type of fuels ??? - not talking about 'biodiesel' fuels -

How can that be helping the enviroment ???

That's a stereotype of the past! The sulfur content is under control in the EU. :)

ps. Liter per liter, diesel produces more greenhouse gases but the better efficiency of diesel fuel means that a car with diesel combustion produces dramatically less greenhouse gases. :)

Wraith
8th November 2007, 02:01 PM
That's a stereotype of the past! The sulfur content is under control in the EU. :)

ps. Liter per liter, diesel produces more greenhouse gases but the better efficiency of diesel fuel means that a car with diesel combustion produces dramatically less greenhouse gases. :)

So if all the cars in the World were diesel powered, that would be better for the enviroment ???

I think we'd all be caughing up black clouds and talking shit from the inhalation of diesel fumes LOL :D

And also whether past or present diesel powerplants, if you don't have the right filters and change them as required, the pollutant release levels of the diesels will go 'through the roof ' !!!

bornwild
8th November 2007, 02:05 PM
It'd be a lot better for the environment!! :) As for the filters...well that's the case with any combustion engine, no matter petrol,diesel or whatever else... :)

USC
8th November 2007, 02:11 PM

I do like diesel..love them actually...specially in 4 wheel drives! I ve been offroad in dad`s turbo diesel 4wheel drive and its so much fun..much more fun than a petrol as u really feel the torque!
I just think cars dont insulate the noise or hides the vibrations enough..but the astra sounds like a good package according to some of you here.

bornwild
8th November 2007, 02:19 PM
Ahhh you should try the High-end of diesels! Drive a Merc E320D or a BMW 123D....now that....pwoaaaa......I have only been in an E320D and that thing is a rocket!!

The new BMW 123D has 150-odd kW and 400Nm :D :D :D

Wraith
8th November 2007, 02:21 PM
the astra sounds like a good package according to some of you here.

It's a cheap car to buy, cheap car to run - fuel bill wise - that's it....

If that appeals to you, then it's a good package :)

bornwild
8th November 2007, 02:22 PM
It's a cheap car to buy, cheap car to run - fuel bill wise - that's it....

If that appeals to you, then it's a good package :)

+powerful+easy to tune+excellent dynamics+quality.....a lot of things actually :)

Wraith
8th November 2007, 02:23 PM

If it's just the power figure your after, you can that that exact same amount in the Astra for a fraction of the cost !

Why would you bother with the Beemer ?? :)

Wraith
8th November 2007, 02:25 PM
+powerful+easy to tune+excellent dynamics+quality.....a lot of things actually :)

Those points also apply to the petrol versions.......

Cheap to buy, cheap on the fuel bill are the only good points of the oiler !!

bornwild
8th November 2007, 02:26 PM
Because a Beemer with the same kind of tune(greenbox) would probably be getting around the 470Nm mark and around 200ish kW :D

Nevertheless though, for bang-for-buck the Astra is just right for me :)

bornwild
8th November 2007, 02:28 PM
Those points also apply to the petrol versions.......

Cheap to buy, cheap on the fuel bill are the only good points of the oiler !!

You can't tune an Astra AH Turbo for $800 to pump out 400Nm of torque ;) And the Astra turbo costs a lot more! :)

ps. The CDTi ain't that cheap....$29990+onraods is quite a nice sum

Wraith
8th November 2007, 02:50 PM
Because a Beemer with the same kind of tune(greenbox) would probably be getting around the 470Nm mark and around 200ish kW :D

Nevertheless though, for bang-for-buck the Astra is just right for me :)

A 'nice looking' - 'cheap' - 'small sized' oiler 'stock with those numbers' would make a convert out of me, I'd learn to live with the black cloud and sick fart engine note :D

USC
8th November 2007, 02:52 PM
:D
You can't tune an Astra AH Turbo for $800 to pump out 400Nm of torque ;) And the Astra turbo costs a lot more! :)

ps. The CDTi ain't that cheap....$29990+onraods is quite a nice sum

yeh true! I think the most they can squeeze out of the stock 2L turbo is what the vxr produces(without changing pistons etc). they need to come out with a new turbo petrol..haha.

Went for a drive in my mates`s wrx sti the other day..feels so much faster than the sri-t...and the sound from the exhaust is just awesome. i found the bonnet scoop a bit distracting though.

diesel does sound cool...it would have been nice if they had factory body kits already on some models...like CDTi - S or something...:D

Wraith
8th November 2007, 03:07 PM
:D

yeh true! I think the most they can squeeze out of the stock 2L turbo is what the vxr produces(without changing pistons etc). they need to come out with a new turbo petrol..haha.

Went for a drive in my mates`s wrx sti the other day..feels so much faster than the sri-t...and the sound from the exhaust is just awesome. i found the bonnet scoop a bit distracting though.

diesel does sound cool...it would have been nice if they had factory body kits already on some models...like CDTi - S or something...:D

Keep in mind that an Sri t with the same output as a VXR will totally outperform an oiler, even an oiler with the greenbox !!!

And of course an Sti rex will be much better/higher performance than an Sri t LOL there's a massive power difference, even the basic Wrx is better in terms of performance, especially all previous model rexes...

And yes, what would make the Astra oilers far more appealing is the introduction of a 3 door coupe and better interiors etc.

bornwild
8th November 2007, 03:22 PM
Well they have the SRi versions in diesel tune as well and the new VXR will be coming out in both Diesel and Petrol versions so let's keep our fingers crossed :)

Wraith
8th November 2007, 03:41 PM
Diesel VXR might just end up being a badging of the 888 AH....

That would be a shame, would prefer to finally see a 200+kw 4 pot oiler, then I'll start drinking diesel straight off the bowser too, like all you diesel heads :D

bornwild
8th November 2007, 03:43 PM
Well the standard diesel astra(next gen) is rumoured to have around 150kW and 400Nm just like the Beemer...soo VXR hmmm :D:D:D

Wraith
8th November 2007, 04:17 PM
If that's the case, then petrol turbos will take the next leap in power levels too !

I suspect the 150kw diesel would just be the same engine with a factory type 'greenbox' map installed....

When are we going to see 'REAL' small 4 pot diesel power/performance, they need to be at least, at or over 200kw to compete with petrol 4 pot turbos, otherwise as I've already said, all they offer is a cheap car - albeit with less interior and exterior kit and a cheaper fuel bill - that's it......:(

bornwild
8th November 2007, 04:24 PM
You'll find that Diesel alternatives to Petrols are a lot more expensive, not cheap. :) An example is the Astra, you can get the standard CD for 20990 yet the Diesel is 29990.

And that 150kW engine is not a software thing it's a hardware thing. It will have two variable geometry turbos, just like the little Beemer does. :)

It's more about efficiency than just pure power-figures :D

Shaun
8th November 2007, 06:18 PM
Ahhh you should try the High-end of diesels! Drive a Merc E320D or a BMW 123D....now that....pwoaaaa......I have only been in an E320D and that thing is a rocket!!

Im currently driving a Vito 115 CDi and they this shit they are cleaner for the enviroment isnt excactly correct. The blow a cloud of smoke under heavy acceleration. So this Rubbish that the " High Tech" Diesels run cleaner isnt always true.

Ohh BTW Mercedes Benz dont call there Diesel cars with a D on the end of the Model Designation for years.. They are all CDI now at the end of the Model Number. But then again what would i know because your Qualified to make comments about European cars so you lead eveyone to believe. I only work for them.

digifish
8th November 2007, 06:22 PM
Im currently driving a Vito 115 CDi and they this shit they are cleaner for the enviroment isnt excactly correct. The blow a cloud of smoke under heavy acceleration. So this Rubbish that the " High Tech" Diesels run cleaner isnt always true.

Shaun

The smoke is soot particles, and while their carcinogenic properties can be argued till the cows come home...it's not as bad as it looks.

digifish

bornwild
8th November 2007, 06:35 PM
Oh Shaun stop making every bloody post some kind of undermining of ones legibility. We're here for some constructive discussion.

Yes there is a lot of smoke from Diesels but as I said a few posts back, whilst Diesels have more damaging gases per litre than petrol they cancel this out by being a lot more efficient thus a Diesel car can produce anywhere from 20-40% less greenhouse gases in it's time than a petrol. And this is also an issue which has been addressed in high-end diesels.(Vito certainly doesn't use a high end diesel)

For example, BMW's new twinturbo V6(x35d?!) doesn't produce that cloud of smoke. :) It's just a pure performance car.

Now back on topic, I saw one of these Hyundai's today and I have to say...they're hideous. Especially the front end. My dear...Kia Cee'd gets my vote for nicest asian car for now.

maloo97
8th November 2007, 06:48 PM
Ok so you say you saw one! Have you driven one ?

bornwild
8th November 2007, 06:54 PM

Nope, are they any good?!

maloo97
8th November 2007, 06:56 PM
They drive very nice and smooth for what they are.
Manual that is. The dude rang me this arvo and wants me to come back and have a go at auto. So i will. I have no dramas with them at all. Shits all over the New Barina lol. and quite possibley a Cd Astra.

Shaun
8th November 2007, 06:56 PM

Maloo dont you know you can make an Evalution on just looking at one these days or reading a review written by a Jurno!! Again how can people bag it out with out a test drive.

Shaun
8th November 2007, 07:00 PM
Oh Shaun stop making every bloody post some kind of undermining of ones legibility. We're here for some constructive discussion.

Stop Crying about it... You made a claim about Mercedes Benz Products and i cleared up something that you have miss lead people with yet again.''

As for the i30 you have no clue what your on about. Hyundai arent even marketing the i30 as a " prefomance" model or a "sports" model. Yes there is a Sports Variant in the range but its not maketed as a Preformance model.

When will you get it.. Its a car for every day practical use for the avarage person who wants something new cheap and affordable but also the peice of mine of owning a something reliable and safe. It meets all those aspects and is an affordable package for the avrarage punter.

bornwild
8th November 2007, 07:05 PM
Wow....Yeah I made a conspiracy, trying to cover up Merc's naming change........don't be silly. You are right it's CDi I'm just used to calling them D's since the 190D, we owned one when I was a kid. :)

bornwild
8th November 2007, 07:07 PM
They drive very nice and smooth for what they are.
Manual that is. The dude rang me this arvo and wants me to come back and have a go at auto. So i will. I have no dramas with them at all. Shits all over the New Barina lol. and quite possibley a Cd Astra.

Yeah man people say pretty good things about it. I just can't get over the front fascia and that it is a Hyundai lol. I made a promise to myself never to sit in a Hyundai and so far I've kept it :D...let's see how it goes :D

What's the steering feedback like? Get much feel for the road? Is the power steering too strong?

Shaun
8th November 2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah man people say pretty good things about it. I just can't get over the front fascia and that it is a Hyundai lol. I made a promise to myself never to sit in a Hyundai and so far I've kept it :D...let's see how it goes :D

What's the steering feedback like? Get much feel for the road? Is the power steering too strong?

Your whats known as a " Brand Snob" I bet any amount of money that if it was wearing a Opel Badge it would be a different story.

bornwild
8th November 2007, 07:12 PM
Maybe I am a bit, but I give credit where it's deserved. I said Hyundai have come a very long way, improved a lot of things. :) The i30 is a nice try but the looks arghhh. The Kia Cee'd however is a very nice looking car, especially in the 2-door version ProCee'd.

And if I was such a brand snob I wouldn't have bought an Opel...more like a BMW 318i from '94. I like quality, why it happens to be the Euro brands most of the time...well, coincidence, ey?

maloo97
16th November 2007, 05:57 PM
I Went to Hyundai today to have yet a nother look at the I30.

I most impressed with all the models.

2 models i looked at where, the Slx & Sr, Both have everything as stock but between the two models upgrade to the sr for an extra 2k you get leather inserts 17in alloy's and a body kit, I wouldn't bother just go with the slx.

I have now driven the Slx (petrol) both in manual and auto. Id be happy with either, 2.0l 105kw - 185nm - @ 600rpm. great smooth drive, Enough Power there when you plant your foot down no Hesitation, Steering is ok, bit knocky but direct, Better seating than my astra g excellent back support, fully adjustable, well-trimmed
Great sound system Connect it up to your ipod, Steering wheel controlls with both audio and cruise controll. Enough space in both the rear and the boot fold down seats med size book, Full size space.

If you were interested in the Sr model you can buy one to probs but you will need to return the car in 3months to the dealer to get your bodykit fitted as they are not ready, They are still in the molding stages, and are not in aus. bit of a bummer lol.

The diesel model is just as good also, but only avail in manual and no cruise controll.

sum the i30 up it's value for money.

hyundai is improving.

A pleasure to drive and compares favourably with other vehicles in its class reliability, economy and performance are what matters. Appearance and styling (copied or not) It a Hyundai and if a little badge or the name puts you off considering this car you have rocks in your head.
This by far the best Hyundai that has been made so far.

Ps. They only brought 2,500 cars into aus on the launch and are limited to colours, next shipment will be in january.

And although im interested in the I30 i wont be buying one just yet.

But id go with a I30 Slx for $25,000 Drive away.

cbrmale
19th November 2007, 08:35 AM
After an Astra G 1.8, the i30 would have more performance, the Beta engine is quite strong as long as you keep momentum up. It would also have more room, no question, as my 2000 XD hatch had more room than the Astra G that was around at the time I bought my Elantra. The seats in my XD were also very good, drove up to 800km in a day without too much trouble.

I believe performance for the 2 litre is about 9.1 seconds 0-100km/h (about the same as my XD), which is faster than the latest higher-powered Astra AH, and just a few tenths slower than a CDTi (8.9). Performance is misleading, because mid-range pick-up (from, say, 80km/h for overtaking) is a bit sluggish, especially with an auto. Put a passenger or three in it, and turn the airconditioning on, and it struggles more (and my XD would be a fair comparison given it had substantially the same engine but less weight).

Economy is about average for the class as you say, mine certainly was quite good. Hyundai's reliability achievements are based on American studies and measured in comparison with American cars (including US manufactured Hondas and Toyotas which aren't as good as the Japanese versions). By international standards reliability is not so impressive. I had a lot of niggly problems with my XD and the HD Elantra (upon which the i30 is based) has had a lot of issues (mostly electrical and rear suspension) as outlined in their forum. I saw pictures of distorted rear suspension arms removed from one HD, and the welding! Oh my God, I've never seen worse (it was possible to see through the weld that joined the upper and lower halves of the arm). The ongoing Hyundai electrical problems are mainly due to poor quality control at the Korean component supplier level.

Reliability of the big components (engines and transmissions) is better. The engines are pretty bullet-proof, although automatics have a reputation for being fragile and dying once they get a few kilometres up. The new car has a different auto transmission than mine, so it may be better.

For the price they are good value, but if you buy one you just gotta hope that it is a better than average one. In Australia, they are regarded as a mainstream brand and depreciation is close to class average, which is a bonus.

btm
27th November 2007, 03:54 PM
just won car of the year too

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,22803575-21822,00.html?from=CG_email

Hyundai i30 wins Car of the Year

For the first time in COTY history, a Korean diesel takes out the top prize.

As with any ultimately subjective award there is going to be heated discussion about the merits of the carsguide Car Of The Year winner.

The simple fact is that, in the opinion of the judges, the best car won. What the Hyundai i30 did was to impress more judges, more often.

When it came to final voting the little Hyundai scored five top votes out of a possible nine, three second place votes and one third place.

It was a comprehensive result under any criteria.

Set aside your prejudices then, take your hands from the childrens' eyes...the i30 CRDi is not only stylish and excellent value, it is a grand drive. Pretend it's not Korean and you will love it.

Good-looking, comfortable, well-trimmed and very well made - there is little not to like about what has been one of the biggest surprises of the year.

And when you get to looking under the bonnet the story only gets better. The 1.6-litre common rail direct-injection turbo diesel is a treat and the match with the five-speed manual is one made in engineering heaven. Raw figures of 85kW and 255Nm do not tell the full story, as it punches above its weight and drives like a far more expensive car.

There will those who rightly point out the i30 doesn't come with an automatic gearbox option; true enough, and although one is on the way early next year that was not given consideration in the judging.

There are others who will say, again quite rightly, that the car does not have nor offer cruise control. That was assessed in the judging and weighed accordingly.

Some may even point out that side and curtain airbags and stability control are not standard. True again, but the car voted into the finals was specified as one fitted with the Protecz Pack and the $1790 price of the option was factored into the value equation - as it was with the Mazda2.

There were also a few points lost through the steering, its shortcomings in feel more than performance. Still not class leading but staggeringly better than anything Hyundai has offered before.

In the initial voting, when 45 different cars were nominated, the i30 performed just well enough to get into the final field. It sat closer to the bottom of the qualifiers than the top and many of the judges - while accepting that the Hyundai was one of the better cars released this year - did not believe it would feature when the whips were cracking.

Then came the testing. As each of the criteria were applied the Hyundai first surprised then delighted as time after time it more than held its own against an extremely strong field.

There were some hicoughs - handling, particularly on the track, marked it down slightly - but any ground lost there was quickly regained in other areas.

Ride on both track and road was well satisfying. The bumps soaked up with alactricty while poise and balance were maintained with the aplomb of a ballet dancer.

Few touched it for build quality. Fit and fitment was excellent and over the course of three days over some extremely rough country roads the i30 let out nary a squeak or rattle of protest.

On the safety front the Protecz Pack lifted the i30 to where it needed to be - no better than most of the finalists but at a safety level that every manufacturer should aspire to and no new-car purchaser should accept less than.

On the subject of innovation the i30 scored not only for the quantum leap it made for Hyundai in general but for some of the small things that will endear it to a generation of owners.

iPod, or MP3 player, connectivity is not unique - several high-end brands offer it and others can be adapted to accept it - but in the i30 it is built in to the core of the car.

Integrated USB ports in the centre storage bin mean that either a memory stick or an iPod connection cord can be plugged in to the car's sound system. The device is tucked away out of sight while song selection, volume and general controls are easily at hand.

Still, in the end regardless of how functional, safe or reliable a car may be it is the ability to draw people to it with styling that determines its commercial success.

That has never been a Hyundai strong point ... until now.

Look at the i30 from any angle and you will see shadows of styling cues from all the smartest of the Euro hatches. That is not to say Hyundai's stylists have simply lifted ideas - they are no more guilty of styling by assimilation than most car designers today.

What they have done is blend the bits they wanted into a very attract whole. A very functional whole.

And all of this comes at a value equation impossible to ignore.

Congratulations to Hyundai.

Wraith
27th November 2007, 04:13 PM
Yeh, read that last week, but was so taken by the Fiat 500's Euro win, I forgot to mention the i30....

Well done Hyundai - they're following in the same foot steps as Honda did in the '70's and getting better and better, their new future Tiburon model looks like being something very good as well :)

dieselhead
27th November 2007, 11:51 PM
wait to see their new sports coupe, that will be RWD, too :) Hyundai is definitely a brand to watch closely the years to come!

btm
28th November 2007, 08:33 AM
wait to see their new sports coupe, that will be RWD, too :) Hyundai is definitely a brand to watch closely the years to come!

still a diesel? or petrol?

Wraith
28th November 2007, 09:13 AM

Yep, that's the one I'm talking about - the new Tiburon which they refer to as the new sports coupe - rumours of a V6 turbo and or a V8 powerplant, looks very spunky and has the full kit too :)

rjastra
28th November 2007, 09:20 AM
New Tiburon apparently will come in a 2L Turbo or 3.8L v6 (300hp - no turbo). Rumour has it the new hyundai V8 will fit under the bonnet as well. It is aimed at the mustang in the USA.

btm
28th November 2007, 09:33 AM
any pics of it?

Wraith
28th November 2007, 10:46 AM
There was a nice pic in last weeks Herald Sun cars guide, it looks the bees knees :) even had 20's :D

Should come up if you google it :)

Shaun
3rd December 2007, 08:03 PM
Interesting...

BTW ...on a similar theme, I think Skoda is going to knock the stuffing out of VW sales, I think VW have way over-estimated their brand loyalty in Aus, the Skoda is a great bargan.

Volkswagen owns Skoda. They will be clapping there hands either way . But true very decent value.

oneightoo
7th December 2007, 12:27 PM
skoda's are still ugly..

EL BURITO
7th December 2007, 12:30 PM
skoda's are still ugly..
the Roomster is a shed on wheels, the Octavia is not bad thou

oneightoo
7th December 2007, 12:36 PM
the octavia sounds like a bad guy from a comic book..

pity it's nothing like it..