PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of changing

bornwild
3rd November 2007, 05:26 PM
Guys I got a black CDX MY07 Coupe and I'm thinking of selling it and changing over to a CDTi Manual. The main reason for this being that I want more power and I want a Manual; I'm sick and tired of Auto.

My car has about 16000km on the clock and I have owned it since december last year, so nearly a year. I was thinking that I could sell it for around $23k privately. I can get the CDTi with the SRi 18" alloys for ~$24k through my old man.

Any thoughts? Any advice? Much appreciated guys.

note: let's not turn this into a diesel thread :p:p

digifish
3rd November 2007, 05:37 PM
Guys I got a black CDX MY07 Coupe and I'm thinking of selling it and changing over to a CDTi Manual. The main reason for this being that I want more power and I want a Manual; I'm sick and tired of Auto.

My car has about 16000km on the clock and I have owned it since december last year, so nearly a year. I was thinking that I could sell it for around $23k privately. I can get the CDTi with the SRi 18" alloys for ~$24k through my old man.

Any thoughts? Any advice? Much appreciated guys.

note: let's not turn this into a diesel thread :p:p

What sort of advice are you looking for?

The CDTi is a great car in town or on the country roads. The torque makes it effortless to drive. It eats hills....in 6th with 4 passengers on board and the air-con on. And it can give you a serious enough shove in the back that you need to treat the throttle with some respect.

I average 6.3 l / 100 km around town...while having fun.

The down-side is that it's a bit of a chore in stop-start peak-hour traffic where the noise/vibration relative to a petrol is noticable and you can't use the grunt.

My next car will be a diesel, I am addicted to the lazy torque.

digifish

bornwild
3rd November 2007, 05:43 PM
That's the kind of things I'm after. For example, I really enjoy the seats in the CDX and I know that I will be disappointed with the seats in the CDTi but I reckon I can live with it because the 1.8 really does lack power.

Has anyone had similar things in mind like me; changing to the CDTi? Only argument I can think of not to change is the equipment level but hell it's not gonna kill me. Also, I love my 2 door looks but I think the 18"s could help in that department.

digifish
3rd November 2007, 05:45 PM
That's the kind of things I'm after. For example, I really enjoy the seats in the CDX and I know that I will be disappointed with the seats in the CDTi but I reckon I can live with it because the 1.8 really does lack power.

Has anyone had similar things in mind like me; changing to the CDTi? Only argument I can think of not to change is the equipment level but hell it's not gonna kill me. Also, I love my 2 door looks but I think the 18"s could help in that department.

If the CDTi came in a coupe and had leather I'd be in heaven....the main difference between the CDX and CDTi in terms of equipment AFAIKS is the lack of leather and slighly different seats?

BTW: This thread has a lot of CDTi discussion...(last page in particular).

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13839&highlight=CDTi+year

digifish

bornwild
3rd November 2007, 06:00 PM
You reckon I could get $23k for a MY07 with 16000km on the clock?

sooty
3rd November 2007, 06:58 PM
There's no point in me restating what has already said, but, as further reassurance, i can guarantee you would not be dissappointed in the change, and if you feel that you're not fully happy, there's so many options....green box/CRD2...simota carbon induction....and that's only scratching the surface.
All this fun and for only just above 6l/100km....where else can you get that?

bornwild
3rd November 2007, 07:03 PM
Yeah I know that's why I wanna change :) Alright now to squeeze some more goodies from Holden...will report back on what's been decided. :D

sooty
3rd November 2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah I know that's why I wanna change :) Alright now to squeeze some more goodies from Holden...will report back on what's been decided. :D

Ahahahaa....yet another member to the oily crew......good luck with the haggling :D

digifish
3rd November 2007, 08:20 PM
Anyone we know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw3BI3p_5HU

sooty
3rd November 2007, 08:25 PM
Yep....dieselhead
http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14667
there's another one there of his daily drive too.

digifish
3rd November 2007, 08:30 PM
Yep....dieselhead
http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14667
there's another one there of his daily drive too.

...and this? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6jEhFr-Sik

sooty
3rd November 2007, 08:38 PM
that's the one...

dieselhead
3rd November 2007, 08:41 PM
Anyone we know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw3BI3p_5HU

that's me. I am still shocked by the way this thing uses fuel...

sooty
3rd November 2007, 08:42 PM
*points* THAT ONE....V V V V V :D

USC
3rd November 2007, 09:48 PM
oh no....not another diesel head!!:D for about $10k more, you can get an sri-t.
but diesel is very economic.

bornwild
3rd November 2007, 11:27 PM

Yeah I'd go down that path but I don't have the $10k nor do I have the money for insurance....closest performing car is the CDTi and with a greenbox I can be kicking it's arse almost as well :D

How much is the greenbox?

rjastra
4th November 2007, 12:03 AM
You could always get a SRi 2.2 Coupe. Nice torque/smooth engine. Leather seats and 17 inch rims.

CNBLU
4th November 2007, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC http://www.opelaus.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=264122#post264122)

Yeah I'd go down that path but I don't have the $10k nor do I have the money for insurance....closest performing car is the CDTi and with a greenbox I can be kicking it's arse almost as well :D

pfffftt you reckon:p :D

bornwild
4th November 2007, 12:47 AM
You jealous :p

Nah don't like the SRi to be honest....still lacks the oomph :) You pay a huge premium over the 1.8l in order to get mediocre performance increase :)

USC
4th November 2007, 12:06 PM

Nah don't like the SRi to be honest....still lacks the oomph :) You pay a huge premium over the 1.8l in order to get mediocre performance increase :)

but the sri-t actually looks like sports car with the bodykit and spoiler etc..diesel just looks like another 1.8L astra with a terrible noise..;)

bornwild
4th November 2007, 12:09 PM
I know I know...USC can I borrow the extra couple of grand from you, no interest?? :D :D

USC
4th November 2007, 12:13 PM
I know I know...USC can I borrow the extra couple of grand from you, no interest?? :D :D

lol!! haha...:p ....I need it myself!!

I guess compared to a 1.8L, the diesel would be a better choice. And you save on fuel + better for the environment.

bornwild
4th November 2007, 12:31 PM
lol!! haha...:p ....I need it myself!!

I guess compared to a 1.8L, the diesel would be a better choice. And you save on fuel + better for the environment.

:D

I read a couple of reviews and all of them said that they 'dont even know whether the SRI-t version is necessary'. Plus, to be honest...I reckon the diesel will have a higher resale value once the fuel starts getting more expensive :)

sooty
4th November 2007, 12:40 PM
Green Box is $860 from memory
i think it's www.dieseltuningoz.com
Anyone with an SRi-T wishes they had the torque of the diesel...but...they don't....jealousy...such a sad emotion..

SRI Wannabe
4th November 2007, 01:05 PM
but the sri-t actually looks like sports car with the bodykit and spoiler etc..diesel just looks like another 1.8L astra with a terrible noise..;)

Ya such a shit stirrer :D . Now if the sri-t had the economy of the diesel we'd all have one ;) .

skulless
4th November 2007, 03:28 PM
:D

I read a couple of reviews and all of them said that they 'dont even know whether the SRI-t version is necessary'. Plus, to be honest...I reckon the diesel will have a higher resale value once the fuel starts getting more expensive :)

i second that.

Apex
4th November 2007, 05:00 PM

Ha-ha, you’re taking the piss write:confused:
Looks like it’s turned into another small mans ‘I drive a diesel’ syndrome thread again :boohoo: :boohoo: :mad:
Out of curiosity, what does the CDXTI or whatever the diesel is badged redline at :o

bornwild
4th November 2007, 05:14 PM
Ha-ha, you’re taking the piss write:confused:
Looks like it’s turned into another small mans ‘I drive a diesel’ syndrome thread again :boohoo: :boohoo: :mad:
Out of curiosity, what does the CDXTI or whatever the diesel is badged redline at :o

huh??
It's no syndrome thread, I'm genuinely looking into switching to a diesel from the 1.8 as it's the next best thing I can afford. :) (+$900 for green-box and :eek::D)

Redlines at around ~4500rpm..?!

sooty
4th November 2007, 05:47 PM
Redlines at 5k...
But you can do 75 in 2nd...what...i haven't tried...honest :D...
(i have...that's how i know...and that's stock...so i don't know after the green box..)

Apex
4th November 2007, 05:48 PM
huh??
It's no syndrome thread, I'm genuinely looking into switching to a diesel from the 1.8 as it's the next best thing I can afford. :) (+$900 for green-box and :eek::D)

Redlines at around ~4500rpm..?!

Ah, and here I was thinking it was another lets brag about diesel thread.

If I was thrifty and liked the sound of tractors I would go for a Fiat Bravo instead of the Astra as you get the same engine in a much nicer looking car with the added bonus of decent seats, wheels and much much more

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_425/car_photo_212897_7.jpg

bornwild
4th November 2007, 05:52 PM
Nice, I doubt it can be had for $24k however. :)

MatsHolden
4th November 2007, 05:52 PM
Redlines at 5k...
(i have...that's how i know...and that's stock...so i don't know after the green box..)

You can do 85 in 2nd in a Barina... lol

bornwild
4th November 2007, 06:02 PM
In NZ they want $40k+onroads for the Fiat Bravo 1.9JTD.......:eek:

It's a Fiat!!!!!

MatsHolden
4th November 2007, 06:04 PM
In NZ they want $40k+onroads for the Fiat Bravo 1.9JTD.......:eek:

It's a Fiat!!!!!

Fiat's aren't cheap.

bornwild
4th November 2007, 06:05 PM
Fiat's aren't cheap.

They're crap cars! Except for the new 500.....I'd never give more for a Fiat than for an Opel...(maybe I'm just too stereotypical with cars)

sooty
4th November 2007, 06:08 PM
You can do 85 in 2nd in a Barina... lol
75 is as far as i've pushed it lol...it can go further lol...just didn't want to risk doing any damage...that and the small thing called a speed limit lol

Apex
4th November 2007, 06:15 PM
Sorry I thought you were in the market for a new car.
In NZ the Astra Diesel is $37,999 so they are basically the same price. Fiats have upped there game in recent years , a test drive of the Bravo had me very impressed last week.

bornwild
4th November 2007, 06:18 PM
Ah yes yes I am in the market for a new car, but I can get the Astra Diesel for AU$24k through my old man.

Ahhhh very tempting to wait for the Bravo then. It comes out in a few months time in AU. :)

Dave
4th November 2007, 06:20 PM
90 in 2nd on a 1.8 astra :p 60 in first ;) the rest of the gears get kind of ileagle :rolleyes:

Apex
4th November 2007, 06:22 PM
Ah yes yes I am in the market for a new car, but I can get the Astra Diesel for AU$24k through my old man.

Ahhhh very tempting to wait for the Bravo then. It comes out in a few months time in AU. :)

Astra at AU24K FTW. Thats an awsome price :clap:

Bravo is nz39,990 + ORC.
http://www.fiat.co.nz/modules/ImageGallery/ImageWatermark.aspx?igwm=184&igms=3
http://www.fiat.co.nz/modules/ImageGallery/ImageWatermark.aspx?igwm=186&igms=3
http://www.fiat.co.nz/modules/ImageGallery/ImageWatermark.aspx?igwm=189&igms=3

digifish
4th November 2007, 07:04 PM
Redlines at 5k...

It's also very smooth/happy around the redline.

110 in 3rd @ ~4500 rpm or 2000 rpm in 6th take your pick :)

digifish

USC
4th November 2007, 07:11 PM
resale value of the diesels will be good if the engine lasts...bear in mind it will cost you a fortune to repair out of warranty...probably much more than an sri-t.

have u considered 2.2?

bornwild
4th November 2007, 07:18 PM
have u considered 2.2?

Yeah but not enough ooomph :) Let's hope nothing goes wrong with the diesel cause I will be selling it while it is still under warranty :) I don't keep my cars longer than that anyway

USC
4th November 2007, 07:22 PM
Yeah but not enough ooomph :) Let's hope nothing goes wrong with the diesel cause I will be selling it while it is still under warranty :) I don't keep my cars longer than that anyway

haha..same here..i dont tend to keep cars for more than 2 years...unless i own a classic or something..

bornwild
4th November 2007, 08:44 PM
haha..same here..i dont tend to keep cars for more than 2 years...unless i own a classic or something..

no point in keeping it longer, just lose all the value, plus cause I get them at employee discounts I'm gonna be changing every year :)

Wraith
4th November 2007, 09:55 PM
Ah, and here I was thinking it was another lets brag about diesel thread.

If I was thrifty and liked the sound of tractors I would go for a Fiat Bravo instead of the Astra as you get the same engine in a much nicer looking car with the added bonus of decent seats, wheels and much much more

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_425/car_photo_212897_7.jpg

Agree with TTEETT........this Fiat is way nicer than the somewhat boring looking AH 5 door ;)

Bornwild wait till this thing lands and see what it's priced at - if it's similar pricing to NZ, then it shouldn't cost too much more than the Astra and it's justified by the better interior and wheels etc. :) and you'll look cooler too :cool:

USC
4th November 2007, 10:18 PM
I wouldnt buy it in australia..perhaps if I were in europe, I would consider but it will be a horror story overhere..hard to get parts, no knowledge about it..etc etc...

bornwild
4th November 2007, 10:59 PM
I wouldnt buy it in australia..perhaps if I were in europe, I would consider but it will be a horror story overhere..hard to get parts, no knowledge about it..etc etc...

Yeah this is the first argument that sprung to my mind about Fiats.....It's a tough one.

Wraith
4th November 2007, 11:09 PM
Mechanically, it's the same/similar diesel engine as the AH Astra isn't it ???

That should ease the main mech. worries ;)

Just see what the pricing ends up like, I'd only 'not' consider it, if it's priced way over the top.....

dieselhead
4th November 2007, 11:17 PM
It will cost as much as a Golf. Just look at the Punto, the 1.9 Diesel sport version cost more that a CDTi, and it's a smaller car!

As for the CDTi engine, they are very reliable. 100-150k km should be happy motoring, free of any engine issues. I haven't read or heard about any major issues with these engines. Let's not forget, they should last even longer here down under, we don't get -20C mornings like the folks in Europe :)

USC
5th November 2007, 12:01 AM
It will cost as much as a Golf. Just look at the Punto, the 1.9 Diesel sport version cost more that a CDTi, and it's a smaller car!

As for the CDTi engine, they are very reliable. 100-150k km should be happy motoring, free of any engine issues. I haven't read or heard about any major issues with these engines. Let's not forget, they should last even longer here down under, we don't get -20C mornings like the folks in Europe :)

but we get 40+ degrees summer and thats enough to cook an engine if it is overheating...

cbrmale
6th November 2007, 11:03 AM
The thing about the Astra diesel that ground me down when I took one for a long test drive was the noise and vibration. Diesel engines are seldom silky smooth and quiet, and the Astra doesn't have the smoothest engine around by a long shot. For me, it was too noisy.

Have you considered the 2.2? It is a lot quicker than the 1.8 you have now, and the engine is exceptionally smooth and quiet. The SRi is a good looking car, especially the 17" wheels. And you get heated sports leather seats, extra airbags, climate control and so on.

digifish
6th November 2007, 11:13 AM
The thing about the Astra diesel that ground me down when I took one for a long test drive was the noise and vibration. Diesel engines are seldom silky smooth and quiet, and the Astra doesn't have the smoothest engine around by a long shot. For me, it was too noisy.

I can understand it would seem that way, particularly at first. It is also completely dependent on the type of driving you do most. As I have said elsewhere the CDTI can be a bit of a chore in stop-start traffic.

If you are on flowing roads and freeways it's as quiet and smooth a 4-cyl as I have been in, anything over 40 km/hr and it's sweet. Its also very quiet accelerating from 40 and up...deceptively so.

digifish

Tfer
6th November 2007, 11:22 AM

Have you considered the 2.2? It is a lot quicker than the 1.8 you have now, and the engine is exceptionally smooth and quiet. The SRi is a good looking car, especially the 17" wheels. And you get heated sports leather seats, extra airbags, climate control and so on.

You are onto something here.... don't know all the ins and outs here and cannot comment on the 2.2 nor the diesel for that matter, but I do know the 1.8 is quite frankly gutless, and really requires attention to get it to do anything above pedestrian (partner has a 1.8l AH Astra CDX auto.. dear me).

Anyway I digress..... bornwild this is my suggestion.... get a loan CDTi for a week or even 2 weeks if you could.... and drive it on your roads, in what is normally your life.... live with the thing for 1 - 2 weeks and then see if it is the ride for you.

My 2 cents....

digifish
6th November 2007, 11:55 AM
Actually some of the nice things about the CDTi in traffic...

- You really can launch the car on idle (no need to fiddle with the accelerator) and pootle along like a tractor in 1st on idle thereafter.

- You don't know wether the air-con is on or off from a performance point of view.

digifish

bornwild
6th November 2007, 01:30 PM
Ahh I've driven the CDTi and bugger the noise, doesn't affect me that much. I'm probably gonna follow your advice Tfer and get my old man to bring one back from work for a few days.

Cheers,
NM

digifish
6th November 2007, 01:34 PM
Ahh I've driven the CDTi and bugger the noise, doesn't affect me that much. I'm probably gonna follow your advice Tfer and get my old man to bring one back from work for a few days.

Cheers,
NM

Well, it's not really *that* noisy (inside the car). It's just different to a petrol...I am sure at least someone who has complained about it here has a loud exhaust on their petrol SRi/VRX/CDX etc :p

digifish

Tfer
6th November 2007, 01:36 PM

Cheers,
NM

Not a worry at all.... cause regardless of what all the "experts" say, the only person who has to live with the purchase is you.... what one man's junk is another man's treasure.... so to speak. If it just doesn't "work" for you... then the right decision is not to... and only you can make that call.

Good luck with the decision, and let us know how you get on!

Tom :)

Tfer
6th November 2007, 01:37 PM
Well, it's not really *that* noisy (inside the car). It's just different to a petrol...I am sure at least someone who has complained about it here has a loud exhaust on their petrol SRi/VRX/CDX etc :p

digifish

And that's potentially why bornwild is not concerned about the noise.... a CDTi is quieter than a Veccy C CDXi under full noise... could not believe how much "no" noise was in the cabin of the CDTi on youtube ;)

digifish
6th November 2007, 02:08 PM
And that's potentially why bornwild is not concerned about the noise.... a CDTi is quieter than a Veccy C CDXi under full noise... could not believe how much "no" noise was in the cabin of the CDTi on youtube ;)

They are very quiet on the move. Quieter than many petrols. The frequency of the engine noise/vibrations is completely masked by road-rumble.

It's only below 40 that the tide turns and you start to notice that 'bread van' sound...I like bread :D
digifish

USC
7th November 2007, 12:46 AM
Actually some of the nice things about the CDTi in traffic...

- You really can launch the car on idle (no need to fiddle with the accelerator) and pootle along like a tractor in 1st on idle thereafter.

- You don't know wether the air-con is on or off from a performance point of view.

digifish

not sure about the 1.8 or 2.2 but the sri-t launches without mucking aroung with accelerator pedal in first gear.

rjastra
7th November 2007, 09:19 AM
MOTOR had a test of the current 2.2L SRi. 0-100 in 8.5 seconds. That's not too shabby for a 2.2l car. Remember there is no off boost doughiness in the 2.2L (unlike the CDTi). That is a common complaint i hear with modern turbo diesels (esspecially euro4/5 compliant ones). Get caught off boost and they have very doughy pickup.

THe other point is that if you are going to upgrade at such regular intervals then the fuel economy of a diesel is worthless. YOu will never make the money back on the extra outlay of the diesel engine.

BTW, have you tried the new 103kw 1.8L manual astra?

xplosv57
7th November 2007, 06:03 PM
That is a common complaint i hear with modern turbo diesels (esspecially euro4/5 compliant ones). Get caught off boost and they have very doughy pickup.

Agree 100%, i drive different current model diesels regularly, and as much as they as awfully torquey with the foot down, off boost they struggle to find their way back!!!

sooty
7th November 2007, 06:35 PM
Agree 100%, i drive different current model diesels regularly, and as much as they as awfully torquey with the foot down, off boost they struggle to find their way back!!!

So change a gear and you're back in the zone :D

bornwild
7th November 2007, 07:37 PM
I'm not changing to the Diesel purely for the cost-savings I'm changing cause i want some performance! :)

Nah I haven't tried the new 1.8l....any good?!

Apex
7th November 2007, 08:06 PM
I'm not changing to the Diesel purely for the cost-savings I'm changing cause i want some performance! :)

Nah I haven't tried the new 1.8l....any good?!

Im sure this is a wind up?? Have you driven a performance orientated car before?

shoey85
7th November 2007, 08:06 PM
performance is good in the diesel (dont get caught below 1900RPM NO GO)

handles well due to its sport chassis pack.

reasonably comfy, noise, well its a diesel deal with it!

fuel consumption average inner city driving uses less than 7ltr per 100k

insurance well im 22 and its 990 per yr cheaper than the veccy c

i say go the diesel for sure, its a mad little car and really trips ppl out when ya fill up @ servos :p

bornwild
7th November 2007, 08:28 PM
Im sure this is a wind up?? Have you driven a performance orientated car before?

Yeap, plenty of them. Latest one was mate's 220kW@the wheels WRX.

dieselhead
7th November 2007, 08:52 PM
bornwild, quit the jeeba-jaaaaba, you know you want a car like this one:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/atomidude/P1100157.jpg

it has performance, sounds like a real man's car and you need to refuel only once every 1,000km when you go interstate. insurance should be cheaper than for a petrol turbo, too. add some (cheap&easy to do) tuning and you get a small beast on your hands. disregard all that bs about off-boost, if you drive like a man is impossible to ever suffer from it. :D

CNBLU
7th November 2007, 09:02 PM
maybe one a bit cleaner than that one:p

bornwild
7th November 2007, 09:10 PM
It's all been decided I'm getting the diesel. Now to sell my car.

What do you guys reckon I can get for it? It's a MY07 CDx Coupe, black with 17000km on the clock. Bought it last december. $24k maybe? It's all been driving en route to uni. So yeah slow driving. It's a 4sp Auto box.

MatsHolden
7th November 2007, 09:33 PM
sounds like a real man's car

Your Astra has a V8? Noice!:D

dieselhead
7th November 2007, 09:46 PM
maybe one a bit cleaner than that one:p

hey, that was taken after 900km drive through heavy showers! :)

digifish
7th November 2007, 10:19 PM

The CDTi's secret weapons are in-gear acceleration, up-hill acceleration and top end acceleration...it just keeps pulling.

Probably the fastest accelerating car I have driven is the HSV VZ GTO. That was insane on suburban roads. The CDTi is about right....although I have to admit I am waiting for the 140 kw 400 nM twin turbo model to land...2009? :)

digifish

dieselhead
7th November 2007, 10:26 PM
....although I have to admit I am waiting for the 140 kw 400 nM twin turbo model to land...2009? :)

digifish

I can lend you my green box for a test drive so you can find out how it feels like ;)

digifish
7th November 2007, 10:31 PM
I can lend you my green box for a test drive so you can find out how it feels like ;)

Have you got that out from under the battery cover yet? It will end in tears! :rolleyes:

dieselhead
7th November 2007, 10:33 PM
nah, Andrew said is waterproof. does that make it acid proof, too? :)

bornwild
7th November 2007, 10:34 PM
What material is it made from?

dieselhead
7th November 2007, 10:36 PM
solid aluminium casing with plastic covers at both ends. these covers have rubber seal and are fixed with two hex screws. waterproof.

bornwild
7th November 2007, 10:37 PM
Yeah it should be alright. :)

digifish
7th November 2007, 10:38 PM
solid aluminium casing with plastic covers at both ends. these covers have rubber seal and are fixed with two hex screws. waterproof.

Battery acid in vapor form will get into all the connectors and it will be cactus...trust me. I have never seen anything survive inside a battery cover if the battery dies.

digifish

CNBLU
7th November 2007, 10:39 PM
sorry to sound ignorant but didnt you test drive different models before buying your car? (bornwild)

just seems like you will lose a lot of money in selling your car....

bornwild
7th November 2007, 10:46 PM
Well I'm gonna go test the CDTi this Sat'day and hopefully will have 2-3 days to live with it. For now though, it's a go ahead. :)

Oh nah I'll lose $2k on my car...I paid $26k for it through my old man, brand spanker :D. So it's a pretty good deal for me. New car for next to no cost. :)

CNBLU
7th November 2007, 10:47 PM
if you sell it for $24k.....

digifish
7th November 2007, 10:48 PM
Well I'm gonna go test the CDTi this Sat'day and hopefully will have 2-3 days to live with it. For now though, it's a go ahead. :)

After the 1.8 it will feel like a rocket...find some hills and be amazed :)

bornwild
7th November 2007, 10:49 PM
if you sell it for $24k.....

Well yeah...what do you reckon the chances are?

dieselhead
7th November 2007, 10:51 PM
I really don't see any problem selling your Astra for $24k. it's an auto and has only 16,000 km. should be a no brainer.
why don't you post it on carpoint right now and see how you go. will cost you only $15 or something like that.

USC
7th November 2007, 11:11 PM
have u tried trading in? i know u wont get as much but its hassle free.

bornwild
7th November 2007, 11:28 PM
I really don't see any problem selling your Astra for $24k. it's an auto and has only 16,000 km. should be a no brainer.
why don't you post it on carpoint right now and see how you go. will cost you only $15 or something like that.

Good point. (pun not intended)

bornwild
7th November 2007, 11:33 PM
Judging by the prices around the net, I can ask as much as $26k for my car...hmmmmmm :)

USC
8th November 2007, 01:48 AM
Judging by the prices around the net, I can ask as much as $26k for my car...hmmmmmm :)

the main thing is whether it will sell and how long it will take to sell...
how much r they giving u trade in?

xplosv57
8th November 2007, 06:38 PM
Yeah i'd try for trade in also, seeing as the car is fairly new with low k's, its something the dealer can sell easily on their lot with a warranty!!!

24k is achieveable private sale but the hassle of advertising, waiting for people to call, organising test drives of it etc etc can be a real pain in the arse (been there, done that) trade in much more easier!! Plus if your dad works for the company, im sure he can sway a good trade in!!

bornwild
8th November 2007, 06:46 PM
I don't know about trade in cause I have a feeling they'll rip me off for a few grand!! :)

xplosv57
8th November 2007, 06:51 PM
Haha i thought i'd get ripped off by trade in also, boy was i wrong!!!

Get a trade in valuation, tell them you want a CDTi and see what they can do changeover!!

I actually had a chat to a dealer recently about straight swapping my car for another, just couldn't find the right car for me, but see if you can do the same!!!

bornwild
8th November 2007, 06:53 PM
Now that'd be sweet!!! :)

MatsHolden
9th November 2007, 12:14 AM
Haha i thought i'd get ripped off by trade in also, boy was i wrong!!!

Get a trade in valuation, tell them you want a CDTi and see what they can do changeover!!

I actually had a chat to a dealer recently about straight swapping my car for another, just couldn't find the right car for me, but see if you can do the same!!!

I want to know what dealers you are going to!

Wraith
9th November 2007, 09:51 AM

+1

The only way you get a 'good' trade in, is if 1st you are trading a top selling car that's next to new or 2nd if the car you want to buy is a very expensive car !

The more you spend on a new car, the greater the margin they have to play with on a trade offer - simple as that !

A good friend of mine got $15,000 trade in on a 10 year old VL Calais :eek: back in 1997 - believe it !

His new purchase was a $136,000 BMW 328i convertible.....

Had he done the same on say a new VT Commodore worth $45,000 at the time, he would've been lucky to get a $5,000 trade in ;)

maloo97
9th November 2007, 10:09 AM
Funny thing here to. It does happen. Back in 97 when my dad brought his maloo. He traded my brothers old Gemini the condition good and he got 15k only cause they wanted the number plates. Rpm.456. Lol.

btm
9th November 2007, 11:07 AM
he got 15K for a gemini... wtf?

bornwild
9th November 2007, 04:52 PM
Guys what kind of taillights does the new astra come with?? Is it those ugly ones with the white bit at top or these ones that they use in Germany.
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Opel-Astra_2007_photo_12.jpg (http://www.netcarshow.com/opel/2007-astra/)

btm
9th November 2007, 04:58 PM
i believe its the one that you just posted

bornwild
9th November 2007, 04:59 PM
i believe its the one that you just posted

WOOOT! :D

I'm gonna make mine look like this once I get it :D
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Opel-Astra_2007_photo_07.jpg (http://www.netcarshow.com/opel/2007-astra/)

btm
9th November 2007, 05:04 PM
what is the roof on that one?? a giant window??

bornwild
9th November 2007, 05:07 PM
Panorama Roof!....Well I won't be getting that since Holden are ****heads and not offering all the options....:(

rusole21
9th November 2007, 05:12 PM
here you go. its this
http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/fake-sunroof-sticker-adds-status-but-not-breeze

btm
9th November 2007, 05:13 PM
that's really cool!

xplosv57
9th November 2007, 07:08 PM

LOL you know what i got for trade in and which dealer i went to!!!

+1

The only way you get a 'good' trade in, is if 1st you are trading a top selling car that's next to new or 2nd if the car you want to buy is a very expensive car !

The more you spend on a new car, the greater the margin they have to play with on a trade offer - simple as that !

Exactly what i always thought but my last purchase proved me wrong!!!

Had my Astra for sale for $11500 with a $2k stereo and a RWC (so i would've had to spend around $2k getting it roadworthy)!!

Took it to Holden to get a trade in valuation and they gave me $14500 as is, no rwc things done and without the stereo!!!

Not too bad if the car being purchased was 130k like the BMW example above, but my purchase was only 9k on top of the trade in!!!

Trust me it can be done, just gotta work the dealer in your favour!!!

digifish
10th November 2007, 09:46 AM

Cash: The best I have done is 10% off a $57K Passat (ion 2003). I had to walk out to get that deal.

Trade: When I bought my Astra (in September 2006) I handed over the keys to a 1998 SB barina city (8 years old) with 80K km (low) on it and $25K and had a new car.

digifish

bornwild
10th November 2007, 11:26 PM
I just saw the new Focus facelift and I love it. I might wait for the Diesel version of that to come out!!!

What do you reckon when will it be in AU? Plus they have a dual-clutch box coming as well!!!!! :D

USC
11th November 2007, 12:58 AM
I just saw the new Focus facelift and I love it. I might wait for the Diesel version of that to come out!!!

What do you reckon when will it be in AU? Plus they have a dual-clutch box coming as well!!!!! :D

hehe..thought you were very keen on the astra diesel...

bornwild
11th November 2007, 01:31 AM
Man I hate getting a new car...Especially when greedy bastards decide to throw around new models!

dieselhead
11th November 2007, 04:58 PM
Just be aware that Ford doesn't have a fast Diesel ticking in there ;)
Not bad but definitely not as brutal as GMs... Think Volvo rather than Alfa!

Wraith
13th November 2007, 05:05 PM

Exactly what i always thought but my last purchase proved me wrong!!!

Had my Astra for sale for $11500 with a $2k stereo and a RWC (so i would've had to spend around $2k getting it roadworthy)!!

Took it to Holden to get a trade in valuation and they gave me $14500 as is, no rwc things done and without the stereo!!!

Not too bad if the car being purchased was 130k like the BMW example above, but my purchase was only 9k on top of the trade in!!!

You obviously did well... :)

Lets see what happens next time I give it a go.....

btm
14th November 2007, 08:15 AM
Lets see what happens next time I give it a go.....
Ooooo... what are you getting rid of?

If you're ever getting rid of the vert... you let me know ;)