PDA

View Full Version : 50 Cents Commodore

btm
1st November 2007, 01:17 PM
7.0-litre V8 'Commodore' fuels HSV GTS-R rumours

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=45124&s_rid=smh:ClassiePuff

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/4082/3150centpontiacg804mmtu7.jpg

Pontiac and US rapper 50 Cent have unveiled a customised version of the Commodore-based G8 GT, and it's powered by a 7.0-litre V8 rumoured for a range-topping HSV. JEZ SPINKS reports.

American brand Pontiac has added to speculation about a new HSV flagship after unveiling a customised version of its Commodore-based G8 GT with a 7.0-litre V8.

The special-edition G8 is the collaborative work of Pontiac, US rapper 50 Cent, and New York tuning company Unique Autosports and made its debut last night at the 2007 SEMA (Specialty Equipment Marketing Association) Show in Las Vegas.

Holden is exporting the VE Commodore to the US with both 194kW 3.6-litre V6 and 270kW 6.0-litre V8 engines, rebadged and restyled respectively as the Pontiac G8 and Pontiac G8 GT.

The Pontiac SEMA 'Commodore', however, uses an engine based heavily on the Chevrolet Corvette Z06's 371kW 7.0-litre V8, a power unit long-rumoured to be in HSV's plans for a flagship HSV sports sedan more powerful than the current 307kW 6.0-litre V8 GTS.

A specific power output isn't provided, but the engine's 'LSX 550 HP 427' badging suggests a figure in excess of 400kW.

Holden's 2002 Sydney motor show concept also used '427' badging and its engine was also based on a 7.0-litre V8 from Chevrolet. The HRT 427C was rumoured to have 420kW of power, but the car intended to rival the likes of Porsche's 911 GT2 failed to reach showrooms after Holden and HSV decided it would be too expensive to produce.

HSV followed up two years later with the GTS/R concept, which was powered by a 335kW 6.0-litre V8 and designed for track racing only.

In addition to the Pontiac special's bigger engine, 50 Cent's customised Pontiac G8 features 22-inch chrome wheels on low-profile tyres, tinted glass, dark-tinted tail-lights, stainless-steel exhaust system, and an exclusive 'Spies Hecker Torch Red' exterior paint colour. A dark graphic that mimics the Pontiac brand's 'dart' symbol runs down the middle of the car from front to rear bumper.

The interior is fitted out with black leather seats with red leather inserts, 50 Cent/Unique Autosports logos, and an 800-watt audio.

Unique Autosport boss Will Castro says he didn't need to make any major tweaks to the G8's body.

"The most interesting aspect of the project is what we didn't do to the exterior," says Castro. "We didn't add a body kit, spoilers, or lower the car. The G8 has the right stance and apprearance, so we only accented the original form with details that made it unique to 50 Cent."

The SEMA show runs for only four days until 2nd November and is a trade event not open to the public.

HSV MD Scott Grant confirmed to Drive recently that the company tests a range of technology, not all of which sees the light of day. The company, however, is neither confirming nor denying the possibility of the 7.0-litre V8 appearing in a future model.

"I wouldn't comment on [the possibility of] that [7.0-litre V8] engine going into an HSV," said company spokesperson Simon Frost.

MatsHolden
1st November 2007, 01:18 PM
BANG! Bring on Melbourne Motorshow!

btm
1st November 2007, 01:26 PM
i'd love to see the 427 in the VE GTS Coupe AND actually make it to production

MatsHolden
1st November 2007, 01:29 PM
i'd love to see the 427 in the VE GTS Coupe AND actually make it to production

Pretty sure they won't ever do that again... Can't afford to make another promise they can't deliver.

btm
1st November 2007, 01:34 PM
Pretty sure they won't ever do that again... Can't afford to make another promise they can't deliver.

quite a few people put down deposits didn't they?

MatsHolden
1st November 2007, 01:34 PM
quite a few people put down deposits didn't they?

A lot of people.

btm
1st November 2007, 01:43 PM
what engine did the coupe4 have in it? was it still the Gen3?

MatsHolden
1st November 2007, 01:49 PM
what engine did the coupe4 have in it? was it still the Gen3?

Yep, but de-tuned. The AWD system couldn't take too much power.

The 427 used a Chev C5R 7.0 Litre.

btm
1st November 2007, 01:52 PM
very rarely see them around. how many made it out?

xplosv57
1st November 2007, 05:13 PM
LOL Fitty Cent driving a Commodore, wonder if he'll plug Holden in his next rap song...

".........ridin' in mah VE on 22's biatch........."

R3N
1st November 2007, 05:18 PM
don't you mean 50 cent's bus?

Vectracious
1st November 2007, 05:26 PM

:D

cheeky

maloo97
1st November 2007, 07:41 PM

R3n I thought it was big dumb bus ? :p

bornwild
1st November 2007, 07:53 PM
Great....another huge 7.0l car......just what we need ey :) **** the melting glaciers, non-existing rainfalls in northern africa, the farmers in northern Victoria who have no water.......nahhh **** them, I want my 427 :)

MatsHolden
1st November 2007, 08:18 PM
Great....another huge 7.0l car......just what we need ey :) **** the melting glaciers, non-existing rainfalls in northern africa, the farmers in northern Victoria who have no water.......nahhh **** them, I want my 427 :)

Bloody oath. Don't talk about climate BS. Have a look over thousands of years and you'll see we've had worse droughts than we are currently experiencing.

poita
1st November 2007, 08:43 PM
hey born, go hug a tree :p:p

if u can find any.............

dieselhead
1st November 2007, 08:45 PM
I agree, this climate change is a lot of, well, hot air. Last week I've been at a meeting where a guy, who was trained by Gore himself, made a presentation of that famous powerpoint slideshow. He was talking about a drop of global temperatures in the 70's, explaining how that was due to pollution, with us humans burning a lot of coal after the war, and the smoke covering the sun. They called it "global dimming". Shit, it seems it's bad not to pollute then! On the other hand, I sincerely doubt the Chinese are burning coal in a cleaner fashion that the West used to 30 years ago. So, how the hell am I to believe that crap?
There's one more thing: CO2 concentration was 20-30 times higher than today in the Earth's past. Conveniently, Gore is going back only 600,000 years. How about the time when the dinos were roaming? Where do you think all this carbon we burn today is coming from? Was it deposited in the last 600 millenniums? Shit no!
What is going to hit us really hard is not global worming but our dependency on oil. That's what we have to address somehow. Fast.

bornwild
1st November 2007, 08:48 PM
hey born, go hug a tree :p:p

if u can find any.............

Don't be silly ... I'm having sex with one

Apex
2nd November 2007, 06:17 AM

Funny, that’s what I was thinking too.
What the heck does 50cent gayunit know about cars?? Stupid Americans.

btm
2nd November 2007, 08:42 AM
What the heck does 50cent gayunit know about cars?? Stupid Americans.
pick up the latest zoo magazine off the racks and flick throught the pages looking for a title something about rappers car... you will be pleasantly suprised of the tastes of some of them

lucky ****ers is all i have to say! :)

Wraith
2nd November 2007, 09:28 AM
LS7 V8 powered HSV's are around the corner, definitely coming, not rumours !!!

It'll start on the VE sedans, HSV 'might' use the previous still born GTS-R name plate.....

No doubt there will be a top model new VE coupe with this engine - hopefully we'll see an AWD platform, but better than the previous Coupe 4 :)

btm
2nd November 2007, 09:38 AM
An AWD 400+kW VE Coupe :drool: :D

Wraith
2nd November 2007, 09:51 AM
LS7 stock standard trim produces around 387kw and around 650nm torque, hand assembled with all the internal goodies, titanium rods etc. etc.

Who knows what the ADM state of tune will be, but you can bet on 500hp or 373kw at least......HSV have made no secret, they want to target the BMW M5 with this new LS7 powered GTS.....

LS7 with a good bolt on TT will punch out over 500kw and over 900nm at a lazy 5-6psi aaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh:drool::drool::drool:

btm
2nd November 2007, 10:12 AM
LS7 with a good bolt on TT will punch out over 500kw and over 900nm at a lazy 5-6psi aaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh:drool::drool::drool:

you're looking at $100K+ there though

Wraith
2nd November 2007, 03:36 PM
you're looking at $100K+ there though

If you mean for a VE Coupe with a quality TT install - yes :)

As I've mentioned in the GT-R thread, there's also all the other probs with doing this sort of thing, like warranty etc. as well - that's why I'd rather - if I could ie - buy a GT-R, it's a complete package with everything stock standard and it's not priced for millionaires only :)

bornwild
2nd November 2007, 03:44 PM
The VE will never be able to target the BMW M5...even if it had 2000bhp!! :D

Wraith
2nd November 2007, 05:17 PM
The VE will never be able to target the BMW M5...even if it had 2000bhp!! :D

Strictly in terms of basic performance, ie: 0-100km/h and 0-400m acceleration, a VE with the LS7 will rape the M5......but yes in an o/a measure it's not going to happen, BUT then there's always the clintcher to these comparisons - the cost.........the VE will be under half the price ;)

Black Nugget
2nd November 2007, 06:10 PM
An AWD 400+kW VE Coupe :drool: :D

all five tonnes of it:p

btm
5th November 2007, 09:04 AM
all five tonnes of it:p

oh come on...! lets be reasonable...

4 tonnes :p

bornwild
5th November 2007, 11:29 AM
I don't know...Rumours say the new/revised M5(due in '09) will have a TT V10 with around 460kW......ridiculous:D

btm
5th November 2007, 11:38 AM
i thought the M5 already had the V10?

bornwild
5th November 2007, 12:06 PM
...the new one will be slightly larger with two lovely little buggers called 'turbines'.

btm
5th November 2007, 12:09 PM
oh, i see... missed that part

xplosv57
5th November 2007, 05:49 PM
Next M5 will be 410kW 5.5l N/A V10, have not heard anything about twin turbos as yet.....

MatsHolden
5th November 2007, 05:54 PM
Next M5 will be 410kW 5.5l N/A V10, have not heard anything about twin turbos as yet.....

I think they've got something involving twin turbos up their sleeve with the M5... This spy photo suggests something.. Notice the extra air intake cutouts and that looks very much like an intercooler!

http://images.worldcarfans.com/articles/2007/9/10/9070910.004/9070910.004.1L.jpg

xplosv57
5th November 2007, 06:03 PM
If you're talking about the thing behind the RH vent, thats the trans cooler!!! Will investigate this twin turbo business though!!!

bornwild
5th November 2007, 06:10 PM
worldcarfans.com had an article clearly stating TT's.....:D

bornwild
5th November 2007, 06:10 PM
Looks like a front-mount intercooler from that pic.

xplosv57
5th November 2007, 06:19 PM
Oh well the F10 M5 is still 4 - 5 years away, no point worrying about it now!!! I'll still enjoy the current V10!!!!!!

Black Nugget
5th November 2007, 08:08 PM
And again the german horsepower war continues. I'm sure there is a point at which execs don't want to go any faster.

I mean they may as well put wings on the side and turn the autobahns into runways.

I can see it now, rs6 gets twin trubo v10 then m5 twin trubo so what does amg do 800hp e99 AMG 10L Quad turbo W12 ooo yeh!

MatsHolden
5th November 2007, 10:54 PM
If you're talking about the thing behind the RH vent, thats the trans cooler!!!

No... the BIG ARSE FRONT MOUNT! lol

Vectracious
5th November 2007, 11:10 PM
No... the BIG ARSE FRONT MOUNT! lol

LOL - Oh my God Shteeve, I canna believe you misshed the front mount Bro.... We've got it in next months BroTek Christmas catalogue fool!

digifish
5th November 2007, 11:22 PM
And again the german horsepower war continues. I'm sure there is a point at which execs don't want to go any faster.

I wish they would have a weight reduction war instead.

More plastic/carbon fibre/aluminium etc.

digifish