PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Ah Astra Advice!!

MitchSRi
31st October 2007, 08:42 PM
I've got a MY7.5 AH Astra and I'm wondering how the headlights should be.

It appears as if the RHS headlight is in line correctly, yet the passenger side one is kicked out.

It's always been that way.

Car has been like it since the first week I picked it up but I've never noticed it (I have pictures of car a few days old and its like it).

Alix
31st October 2007, 09:04 PM
Usually the left hand headlight is aimed so that it illuminates some of the side of the road (to see pedestrians) as well as the road ahead. Could be normal.

You can check your headlight adjustment against a wall if you're keen - you just have to mark the wall with the horizontal and vertical centres of the lights, then roll the car back a few metres and turn them on. The bright area should be down and to the left on low beam, straight ahead on high.

DirtyHarry
31st October 2007, 09:10 PM
take it back to the dealer and tell them to align the headlights.

i align the headlights in my car my self at night in the industrial area against some businesses white wall :-)

digifish
31st October 2007, 10:36 PM
I've got a MY7.5 AH Astra and I'm wondering how the headlights should be.

It appears as if the RHS headlight is in line correctly, yet the passenger side one is kicked out.

It's always been that way.

Car has been like it since the first week I picked it up but I've never noticed it (I have pictures of car a few days old and its like it).

Indeed as has been pointed out the pattern is highly asymmetrical for the L and R lights, however without seeing the pattern it could be that yours are misaligned...tho unlikely. It's the sort of thing you can wait for the 3000 km check-up?

digifish

MitchSRi
1st November 2007, 12:17 AM
Sorry guys .. no .. this is the physical light assembly itself.

Click for larger pictures.

How my drivers side light looks (and has always looked)
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7681/1rhslightih2.th.jpg (http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1rhslightih2.jpg)

How my passenger side light looks (and has always looked)
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5018/1lhslightkc3.th.jpg (http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1lhslightkc3.jpg)

As you can see the passenger side light juts out far beyond the lines of the bumper bar.

I bought the car brand new, with only 30kms on it (being from my test drives).

It appears as if from the factory the light was out of whack.

Note where the " < " is on the side of each light, and also the overhang on the passenger side light.....

Can anyone see what I mean now?

Is that right?

USC
1st November 2007, 12:34 AM
if this is a defect, it must be the weirdest one I have ever seen..and u guys are bagging toyotas....

Holden should change it under warranty. Park ur car next to another astra and show the service manager. They should accept to change it without any problems.

Alix
1st November 2007, 12:36 AM
Can anyone see what I mean now?

Errr, nope. Sorry. Both sides look to me like they're jutting out in those photos. Maybe it's the angle of the camera or something - maybe a set of dead front on light-height shots would illustrate it better?

I did check mine just then, and the bumper bar definitely sticks out further than the light cluster on both sides. I've got a MY7 - dunno if the light clusters or bumpers got redesigned somewhere along the way.

If you pop the bonnet do the light clusters themselves look to fit well into the panels? Or are there suspicious gaps on one edge that might suggest they've been fitted wrong?

When I was test driving an Astra the dealer pointed out the polycarbonite light covers built in and how good they'd be in case of something flicking up at your lights. So, I asked him the obvious question - could just the cover be replaced if it got scratched or cracked? He checked and came back and said, no, it's all one unit. Seems to me that if it's not fitting right in your car then maybe it is the whole unit out of alignment or something should be easy to spot with the bonnet up.

Other than that, I'm out of suggestions.

EL BURITO
1st November 2007, 12:36 AM
there is movement in the lugs that attach the lights to the car its possible that the positions of the screws in these ard at alternate ex streams on both sides

MitchSRi
1st November 2007, 12:52 AM
I noticed the one on the top.. under the bonnet both look fine though and equal distance away.

Its like the bottom of the passenger light is kicked outwards.

Either way I'm just down the road from the dealers, might drop in one Saturday, get them to enable autolock, and fix the light at the same time.

I'll get some better shots tomorrow...

sooty
1st November 2007, 03:35 PM
it's definitely rooted, shouldn't stick out that far.
yet another warranty claim for Holden :D

USC
1st November 2007, 04:31 PM
it's definitely rooted, shouldn't stick out that far.
yet another warranty claim for Holden :D

lol!! i also need to claim 2 rear lights under warranty as mine has been getting moisture in every morning or when it rains since new...