PDA

View Full Version : Commodores suck - petrol

digifish
31st October 2007, 03:20 PM
I usually drive a CDTi and have had a VE commodore for the last 3 days while the dealer adds a flux capacitor to my Astra. I have done the same traveling I do in the Astra and have used more fuel in 3 than I do normally in 7

... what a BIG DUMB BUS! :p

digifish

oneightoo
31st October 2007, 03:21 PM
2 extra cylinders, not a diesel, weighs more..

what you expect?

digifish
31st October 2007, 03:22 PM
2 extra cylinders, not a diesel, weighs more..
what you expect?

That's my point it's a STUPID car.

Crap handling, guzzles fuel...dumb.

It flollops all over the road like a drunk pelican...it really does feel stupid after the CDTi.

digifish

Tfer
31st October 2007, 03:24 PM
Horses for courses.... whilst I am not a fan of the Commodore, a lot of people appear to be.

You could of always rented a cheap eco bomb and saved on petrol... would imagine the Commodore (apart from petrol) from the dealer was free?

At least you now know not to buy one :p

oneightoo
31st October 2007, 03:25 PM
was there anything other than fuel economy you didnt like??

i had a quick drive of my flatmates work car, an SS.. even tho it's a police car i think everything else is nice.. the SS tho, now that chews petrol..

digifish
31st October 2007, 03:27 PM
You could of always rented a cheap eco bomb and saved on petrol... would imagine the Commodore (apart from petrol) from the dealer was free?

At least you now know not to buy one :p

Yes free.

No I know I wouldn't. I actually don't care about the cost of running it...but I feel like a sap :)

digifish.

bornwild
31st October 2007, 03:30 PM
Commodore's are crap cars. Especially the VE....instead of making it lighter than the VZ they decide "hey what the heck, let's add another 100kg...the more the merrier".

I mean...seriously

oneightoo
31st October 2007, 03:32 PM
huh??

it's a much better car than the VZ..

drives better, handles better, looks better, interior is better..

100kgs? whoopee do, small price to pay for a better all-round car..

digifish
31st October 2007, 03:32 PM
was there anything other than fuel economy you didnt like??

i had a quick drive of my flatmates work car, an SS.. even tho it's a police car i think everything else is nice.. the SS tho, now that chews petrol..

You see the SS redeems itself by having harder suspension and serious grunt. The Omega? that I am driving feels slower than my CDTi and is a boat.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=18919

The interior is also palpably tackier than the Astra which is neat and plain at best. If the Astra is a wood-fired pizza, the Omega is a Big Mac.

digifish

bornwild
31st October 2007, 03:33 PM
huh??

yeah but increase in weight=decrease in fuel efficiency...where's the moral!!:p

xplosv57
31st October 2007, 03:53 PM
It's not a stupid car just because it doesn't fulfil your needs!!

Some people need a bigger family sedan with extra luggage space, or feel safer in a larger vehicle!!!

Some would say the CDTi is too small, is noisy and smells bad but other bits of the car are good and fulfils your needs!!

digifish
31st October 2007, 03:54 PM
It's not a stupid car just because it doesn't fulfil your needs!!

Some people need a bigger family sedan with extra luggage space, or feel safer in a larger vehicle!!!

Some would say the CDTi is too small, is noisy and smells bad but other bits of the car are good and fulfils your needs!!

In most countries the Astra IS the family car...the Commodore is DUMB! :boohoo:

bornwild
31st October 2007, 03:56 PM
That's fine by me if they have to pay a special tax on having a large, fuel irresponsible vehicle. :)

xplosv57
31st October 2007, 03:57 PM
You're dumb...........!!!!!

digifish
31st October 2007, 03:58 PM

Apparently so, I don't like the so obviously excellent Commodore :D

bornwild
31st October 2007, 03:59 PM

Did you know that the average number of people that travel in a car is 1.3!!!! Why does a country where there is only 1.3 people per car need soooooo many large vehicles??

Explain that to me :) I'm all ears:D

rjastra
31st October 2007, 04:01 PM
Commodore's are crap cars. Especially the VE....instead of making it lighter than the VZ they decide "hey what the heck, let's add another 100kg...the more the merrier".

I mean...seriously

Ohhh the irony. Everyone realises that the current AStra is heavier than the TS astra :) I do remember the press bitching and moaning about the decline in performance and economy of the new Astra when it was released.

Did you know that the average number of people that travel in a car is 1.3!!!! Why does a country where there is only 1.3 people per car need soooooo many large vehicles??

That figure has nothing to do with size of car as the NUMBER of cars on the road.

R3N
31st October 2007, 04:02 PM

lol 10 points... best comeback evarrr!!!

na uh.. U R!

bornwild
31st October 2007, 04:05 PM
Yeah but the Commodore was a heavyweight as it was.

The astra is like a nice steaming hot chick putting on some love handles....whereas the commodore is a fat mofo on a mcdonalds diet :D:p

bornwild
31st October 2007, 04:06 PM
That figure has nothing to do with size of car as the NUMBER of cars on the road.

huh?? You saying aussies are fat fuks who need an entire commodore just to accommodate 1.3 persons?

lol

rjastra
31st October 2007, 04:15 PM
huh?? You saying aussies are fat fuks who need an entire commodore just to accommodate 1.3 persons?

lol

LOL... but going by your logic they don't need a 4/5 seat Astra either.

bornwild
31st October 2007, 04:17 PM
It's still a better choice than a commodore :P We should all ride bicycles :D

digifish
31st October 2007, 04:18 PM
LOL... but going by your logic they don't need a 4/5 seat Astra either.

I'd agree with that. When there are some better (even smaller) cars than the CDTi (in diesel)....hello Fiat 500... :clap:

Wraith
31st October 2007, 04:22 PM
huh??

Agree the above is all fact !

And to repeat what Steve said - "if it dosn't fulfill your needs, that dosn't mean it's a stupid car"

It's just not suited to you, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who see the AH 5 door diesel Astra as a plain boring not suitable stupid car too - simple don't buy it - as for you never buy a VE Commodore ;)

digifish
31st October 2007, 04:24 PM
And to repeat what Steve said - "if it dosn't fulfill your needs, that dosn't mean it's a stupid car"

Yes it does. There must be absolute standards/criteria.

90% of the people driving commodores don't *need* them and would probably be better served by another car.

digifish

btm
31st October 2007, 04:26 PM
90% of the people driving commodores don't *need* them and would probably be better served by another car.

digifish

72% of all stats are made up on the spot

RudeOne
31st October 2007, 04:27 PM
this is the most retarded argument ever!!!

cant tow a ****in boat with an astra, can seat 5 bigmac adults in an astra , its uncomfortable to do 6 hours worh of driving in a 4cyl reving its tits out at 110km, etc etc - the astra has a purpose but not every purpose on the face of the planet

We are a big countryand we drive big distances and to be comfortable we need big cars!! most people in australia travel 25000 + km's compared to euro and asian countries who do 15000kms if there lucky

I recently drove a VE commo and thought it was good value for a base model.

in saying all that, 1 in 4 cars on the road are SUVs, 95% are drivin by soccer mums. - there should be a tax on suv soccer mums!! this is a real stat btw not made up! :)

GreyRex
31st October 2007, 04:33 PM
I think this is a bit of a light-hearted thread. I wouldn't take it too seriously. My mate had a VE Omega for about a week while his car got repaired recently. Like you I thought it was a piece of crap, but my mate had SOOOOOO much fun with the ESP, especially in the wet

RudeOne
31st October 2007, 04:37 PM
I think this is a bit of a light-hearted thread. I wouldn't take it too seriously. My mate had a VE Omega for about a week while his car got repaired recently. Like you I thought it was a piece of crap, but my mate had SOOOOOO much fun with the ESP, especially in the wet
I understand, i have mostly driven smaller fwd cars and find driving a big sloppy commo very bad, but they have their purpose and suit a large majority of the population - currently!! Trends do and can change!

bornwild
31st October 2007, 04:38 PM
Not to mention how many commodores on our roads are actually Fleet cars....then you realise they're not all that popular either. :)

Just as a note, I have no problem with a Commodore running on LPG or Diesel(if it can).

maloo97
31st October 2007, 04:40 PM
So digifish every car thats not diesel and has more than 4cyls is a
BIG DUMB BUS?
Are you going to say Lamborghini's and Ferrari's Suck cause they use or suck heaps of petrol too?

How about the nsw sport wagon ??

Each to there own champ.

Thank god we are all different cause if we thought the same as you we would be F***ed.

bornwild
31st October 2007, 04:40 PM
there should be a tax on suv soccer mums!! this is a real stat btw not made up! :)

Bingo! Tax is the key, methinks, to solving this issue of driving 'crap cars'.

For the sake of the argument, if I have to pay $50 annual tax on a 1.9cdti Astra and a Commodore V6 owner has to pay $650 then I think the Commodore owner may have something to think about before purchasing. Don't you agree?

bornwild
31st October 2007, 04:42 PM
Are you going to say Lamborghini's and Ferrari's Suck cause they use or suck heaps of petrol too?

Don't be silly....looking at it from an economical and environmentally responsible perspective, the Ferrari's and Lamborghini's not only SUCK....they are utter pieces of crap that stink so bad even manure is the latest JLo fragrance compared to them. :)

USC
31st October 2007, 04:46 PM
Astra diesel is a dirty bitch....cos she stinks...and is noisy all the time...

Commodore is also a bitch but a fat one who everyone owns...She can accomodate a lot...

end of the day..depends on what you like and what you need.

Wraith
31st October 2007, 04:47 PM
Don't be silly....looking at it from an economical and environmentally responsible perspective, the Ferrari's and Lamborghini's not only SUCK....they are utter pieces of crap that stink so bad even manure is the latest JLo fragrance compared to them. :)

Don't lie LOL you'd own one anyday :p

R3N
72% of all stats are made up on the spot

74% of all stats are lies

bornwild
How does the astra diesel stink!?

Wraith
31st October 2007, 04:48 PM
Astra diesel is a dirty bitch....cos she stinks...and is noisy all the time...

Commodore is also a bitch but a fat one who everyone owns...She can accomodate a lot...

end of the day..depends on what you like and what you need.

:clap:

Wraith
31st October 2007, 04:49 PM
How does the astra diesel stink!?

That dirty black 'stinky' cloud constantly following you around LOL.....:D

bornwild
31st October 2007, 04:49 PM
Don't lie LOL you'd own one anyday :p

Of course I would for the very same reasons Jeremy Clarkson bought himself a Gallardo Superleggera. (http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2007/10/stories/01/1.html)

Interesting read that :)

maloo97
31st October 2007, 04:50 PM

Pfft. Good one bornsoft.

bornwild
31st October 2007, 04:51 PM
That dirty black 'stinky' cloud constantly following you around LOL.....:D

aahhh stereotypes of the past, gotta love em ey :D

bornwild
31st October 2007, 04:55 PM
Pfft. Good one bornsoft.

If you're gonna do a joke on my username then please do it properly. Just take the opposite of wild....say...tame!

BornTame....now that's much better. :)

Wraith
31st October 2007, 05:01 PM
aahhh stereotypes of the past, gotta love em ey :D

Past ????

Have you seen the 'Present' 888 AH Astra diesel turbo in action ???

You'll see exactly what I mean ;)

Yes, it's embarassing, almost as much muck as a big semi truck going flat chat.....!

USC
31st October 2007, 05:07 PM
haha..yeh, any diesel when floored will smoke like crazy. Ive seen BMW`s/audi`s/VW`s pushing black clouds out of their brand new exhausts...

Wraith
31st October 2007, 05:46 PM
haha..yeh, any diesel when floored will smoke like crazy. Ive seen BMW`s/audi`s/VW`s pushing black clouds out of their brand new exhausts...

Very true, I remember being behind a VW Golf TDi once, could hardly make it out when it took off from the black plume and had to shut my windows from the 'stink'.....on top of that the clatter,clatter,clatter sound :sick:

I have mentioned it before, but I wonder how many turbo diesel owners have been 'uneccessarily' dobbed in by enviromental freaks to the EPA dob in a smoking car campaign thingy LOL :D

digifish
31st October 2007, 05:48 PM
I can't believe you guys are so easy to wind up...

:boohoo: :clap: :dance:

Black Nugget
31st October 2007, 05:59 PM
In suburban areas commodres are crap

However on the highway in australia you can't beat em.

When we did a 11,000km road trip it averaged petrol in the high 6s which is pretty good.

yes I know a diesel could probably get better fuel consumption but the amount of space, suspension comfort and storage capacity ,industrauctability and tyre noise were all great features. Also from the VX series two onwards i think they have the best cruise control system in the business. the flick system is much easier and more controllable than the astra/european button press in thingy.

Anyway just my 2c.

dieselhead
I would ask the Commodore supporters one question: if it is as good as you say, why isn't iGM selling it worldwide? Is it because is too "specialized", too adapted to Oz conditions and wouldn't work anywhere else? :)

Someone said that, unlike an Astra, the Commodore can carry 5 adults in comfort... That's true, but only if one of the passengers has no legs, ha ha!
C'mon guys, we all know this sort of car is endangered species...

USC
cdti = crap dirty turbine inside.

USC
31st October 2007, 06:00 PM
The future is not diesels or commodores but hydrogen cars.

sooty
31st October 2007, 06:01 PM
driving in a 4cyl reving its tits out at 110km,

Pretty sure it sits at around 1200rpm at 110km/h...and only 4000rpm at 240 lol....wow...that's not even getting into the red line domain of a normal petrol...
Stupid stereotypes

digifish
31st October 2007, 06:02 PM
the Commodore can carry 5 adults in comfort... That's true, but only if one of the passengers has no legs, ha ha!

I am 197 cm (6"2) and fit easily in the back of the Astra with headroom to spare.

The Golf has about as much interior space as the Commorode BTW.

The Commodore is dumb, particularly when compared to cars like the Golf 2.0 TDI (that will tow a boat all day BTW).

digifish

sooty
31st October 2007, 06:04 PM
6'2" is 187...not 197 lol :D

Black Nugget
31st October 2007, 06:07 PM
I am 197 cm (6"2) and fit easily in the back of the Astra with headroom to spare.

The Commodore is dumb, particularly when compared to cars like the Golf 2.0 TDI (that will tow a boat all day BTW).

digifish

I agree there is no excuse to say just because you have a family u need a commodore. It's the whole australian perspective thing, in europe an astra is a mid sized car here it is a small car.

same applies for those who warrant 4wd pruchases cas they"tow stuff"

dieselhead
31st October 2007, 06:10 PM
Pretty sure it sits at around 1200rpm at 110km/h...and only 4000rpm at 240 lol....wow...that's not even getting into the red line domain of a normal petrol...
Stupid stereotypes

well, mine does 2,200 rpm at 120 km/h. would you agree that's hardly revving its head of. :) moreover, at that speed, on cruise in 6th, on a flat road, it averages 4.7 l/100km.

I would add one more thing: cars like Astra and the Golf, with Diesel engines, are have proved themselves as reliable, solid cars, with huge sales numbers and high resale value not only here but all over the world. The VE Commodore, launched only last year, has a long, long way to go...

SRI Wannabe
31st October 2007, 06:11 PM
Arrr this thread has proven to be very amusing :D and no I'm not going to bite :p. Out of all this USC made very valid point, future is hydrogen/ electric.

sooty
31st October 2007, 06:12 PM
Sorry...typo lol...meant to write 2200 :D

tuzinski
31st October 2007, 06:19 PM
LOL.
Commodore = Petrol Whores
Astra = Normal People
Diesel's = Green'ies [= [=

we have a astra(mine) and commodore(mums) in the family, and i like the astra better, easier to park, easier to steer, might not have a the BOLD view of a commo but still its good.
or maybe im just sick of most p platers having them.

dieselhead
31st October 2007, 06:21 PM
Who's future is that? Electric cars, with 85% power generation based on coal burning, would be a curse rather that a solution here, down under. Hydrogen is not even in its infancy yet, reliable solutions could be 20 years away. In the meantime we still need to move, don't we? Obvious solutions are lighter cars, so driving smaller cars is one handy option. The engine efficiency needs to improve significantly, too. Like it or not, Diesel turns more fuel into movement than petrols. Modern Diesel engines using synthetic fuel is a viable alternative to Australia because of the huge natural gas resources. Hydrogen? Sure, one day, by 2050! :)

oneightoo
31st October 2007, 06:21 PM

digifish

i'm 194cm and 6'4" and i dont have that much room in the back of an astra.. my head sits on the roof..

low astra
31st October 2007, 06:45 PM

digifish

try the differance in the back seat of a commodore to a astra, the commodore seems much better, more room to bounce around, less of a risk of head injury,

ps a front wheel drive towing a boat, hahahah get ****ed try it, your gonna have fun

digifish
31st October 2007, 06:51 PM
i'm 194cm and 6'4" and i dont have that much room in the back of an astra.. my head sits on the roof..

So I have 4 cm to spare at 6"2.

I can't say that I have had that much headroom in the back of many (much bigger) cars than the Astra, mine usually hits.

digifish

digifish
31st October 2007, 06:53 PM
ps a front wheel drive towing a boat, hahahah get ****ed try it, your gonna have fun

It happens all the time. You need to get out more. Infact a test was done by one of the motoring mags and the FWD magna did better than the RWD falcon.

digifish

R3N
31st October 2007, 07:04 PM

your head sits on the roof? hang on let me try to get my head round that for a minute :p

RudeOne
31st October 2007, 07:56 PM
well, mine does 2,200 rpm at 120 km/h. would you agree that's hardly revving its head of. :) moreover, at that speed, on cruise in 6th, on a flat road, it averages 4.7 l/100km.

I would add one more thing: cars like Astra and the Golf, with Diesel engines, are have proved themselves as reliable, solid cars, with huge sales numbers and high resale value not only here but all over the world. The VE Commodore, launched only last year, has a long, long way to go...

Its relative, @ 2200 that 50% of your revs. I love the cdti, but comon, its not the be all and end all that digfish makes out.

dieselhead
31st October 2007, 08:07 PM
Wrong RudeOne. The rev limiter is at 5,000 rpm. 2,000 rpm is where the turbine starts to work. To understand how this engine pulls between 2,000-4,000 rpm just test drive one.
I wouldn't say the CDTi is the pinnacle of motoring, but you have to agree is ages ahead anything else available from Holden. Many experts said is one of the best engines in its class, too.

MatsHolden
31st October 2007, 08:34 PM
I would ask the Commodore supporters one question: if it is as good as you say, why isn't iGM selling it worldwide? Is it because is too "specialized", too adapted to Oz conditions and wouldn't work anywhere else? :)

Someone said that, unlike an Astra, the Commodore can carry 5 adults in comfort... That's true, but only if one of the passengers has no legs, ha ha!

GM does sell the Commodore in most places around the world. Europe's an exception due to small to medium cars being traditionally the go there. But even Opel are looking at the VE as a possibility...

RudeOne
31st October 2007, 08:39 PM
Wrong RudeOne. The rev limiter is at 5,000 rpm. 2,000 rpm is where the turbine starts to work. To understand how this engine pulls between 2,000-4,000 rpm just test drive one.
I wouldn't say the CDTi is the pinnacle of motoring, but you have to agree is ages ahead anything else available from Holden. Many experts said is one of the best engines in its class, too.

My apologies, yes it is a good engine and most of us love the CDTI astra, but digfish completely wrote off the commodore, and im not a huge commodore fan , but it has a purpose in the market place for now. digfish made a very bold statement "... what a BIG DUMB BUS! :p "which is comment with no value or merit and this is not the first time its happened.

low astra
31st October 2007, 09:03 PM
It happens all the time. You need to get out more. Infact a test was done by one of the motoring mags and the FWD magna did better than the RWD falcon.

digifish

honestly dude your a tool, and you need to get out more, you are really grasping at straws to try to win a argument you already lost, just forget about it sombody lock the thread otherwise digfish is just goin to end up looking more stupid then he already does

sooty
31st October 2007, 09:16 PM
WHo turned this into a fight...
It's just an opinion...
Each to their own.. :D
Except fords....they can rot in hell:rolleyes:

dieselhead
31st October 2007, 09:32 PM
nah, I think Ford has seen the light. look at the Mondeo! if I was to buy a larger car than my Astra I would get one of those any day rather that a Commodore. don't tell me now the Commo is much larger than that, too ;)

rjastra
31st October 2007, 10:07 PM
I think yoiu will find the commodore is to be sold in the USA as the Pontiac G8.

Also sold in UK as the Vauxhall VXr8

USC
31st October 2007, 10:09 PM

for your information, your engine is actually made by ISUZU...japanese.

digifish
31st October 2007, 10:10 PM
Its relative, @ 2200 that 50% of your revs. I love the cdti, but comon, its not the be all and end all that digfish makes out.

Eh? Where did I say that?

My favourite smallish car is the Golf R32.

digifish

digifish
31st October 2007, 10:12 PM
My apologies, yes it is a good engine and most of us love the CDTI astra, but digfish completely wrote off the commodore, and im not a huge commodore fan , but it has a purpose in the market place for now. digfish made a very bold statement "... what a BIG DUMB BUS! :p "which is comment with no value or merit and this is not the first time its happened.

That's because it is a BIG DUMB BUS! I explained why I felt that way.

Fuel consumption.
Handling.
Over-size relative to the Golf for the same interior space.
Cheap interior quality

digifish

MatsHolden
31st October 2007, 10:21 PM

Actually... The 1.9L Diesel used in the CDTi is a result of a joint venture between Fiat and GM (Fiat-GM Powertrain). Manufactured in both Italy and Germany.

bornwild
31st October 2007, 10:23 PM
I think yoiu will find the commodore is to be sold in the USA as the Pontiac G8.

Also sold in UK as the Vauxhall VXr8

Have you noticed they're all English countries??

What a coincidence....lawl:p

bornwild
31st October 2007, 10:25 PM
nah, I think Ford has seen the light. look at the Mondeo! if I was to buy a larger car than my Astra I would get one of those any day rather that a Commodore. don't tell me now the Commo is much larger than that, too ;)

On the spot with this one. The new Mondeo is a perfectly sized car. And don't tell me you need more space than that?! If so...."Did you call Jenny yet?":p:p

tuzinski
31st October 2007, 10:25 PM
to me the mondeo, is as ugly as the au falcon and thats ugly!

MatsHolden
31st October 2007, 10:26 PM
Have you noticed they're all English countries??

What a coincidence....lawl:p

Middle East, Brazil and China english talking places? Didn't realise that.

bornwild
31st October 2007, 10:27 PM
Ok I know about the Middle East because they love the statesman and the climates are fairly similar...but china and brazil......where's that coming from?

MatsHolden
31st October 2007, 10:32 PM
Ok I know about the Middle East because they love the statesman and the climates are fairly similar...but china and brazil......where's that coming from?

New Commodore is sold in Brazil.. and the new Statesman is sold in Asia under either the Daewoo or Buick brand.

dieselhead
31st October 2007, 10:35 PM

Well, wrong my friend. My engine was developed by Fiat. I don't think GM is using Isuzu engines anymore. They don't have to, especially after buying a big chunk of VM Motori a few months ago.

MatsHolden
31st October 2007, 10:36 PM
Well, wrong my friend. My engine was developed by Fiat. I don't think GM is using Isuzu engines anymore. They don't have to, especially after buying a big chunk of VM Motori a few months ago.

Don't worry dude, I sorted it. :p

bornwild
31st October 2007, 10:40 PM
to me the mondeo, is as ugly as the au falcon and thats ugly!

What? lol....dude something's wrong with ya:p Even the most hardcore holden fans have admit to the Mondeo being dead-sexy.

MatsHolden
31st October 2007, 10:41 PM
What? lol....dude something's wrong with ya:p Even the most hardcore holden fans have admit to the Mondeo being dead-sexy.

Fronts alright, but the rear... fark. How do you spell boring?

bornwild
31st October 2007, 10:43 PM
Come again?
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Ford-Mondeo_2007_photo_06.jpg
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Ford-Mondeo_2007_photo_02.jpg

dieselhead
31st October 2007, 10:43 PM
That's right, Mondeo is worlds apart from the Falcon. Or everything Ford in general. Desperation must worked wonders with the company.
Even Holden arselickers like Wheels Mag agree the Mondeo is a fantastic car.

MatsHolden
31st October 2007, 10:46 PM
Come again?

i'll come again, the back of it is boring and awkward to me. Not easy to look at, it just doesn't work for me.

bornwild
31st October 2007, 10:50 PM
i'll come again, the back of it is boring and awkward to me. Not easy to look at, it just doesn't work for me.

You like big butts and you cannot lieeeeee:D

USC
31st October 2007, 10:52 PM

I can say the same about the astra hatch...its very ugly...thats why I didnt buy one and went for the coupe instead. the back of the hatch is terrible to be honest...with those big white indicators in the old model..yak!

MatsHolden
31st October 2007, 10:53 PM
You like big butts and you cannot lieeeeee:D

This is more my type...

http://autoreview.belproject.com/media/1/20061117-aston-martin-v8-vantage-loder1899-back.jpg

USC
31st October 2007, 10:53 PM

isuzu would have been better dude....fiat is one of the worst car companies..old fiats used to be pieces of junk and bloody unreliable rust buckets...

bornwild
31st October 2007, 10:54 PM
isuzu would have been better dude....fiat is one of the worst car companies..old fiats used to be pieces of junk and bloody unreliable rust buckets...

Currently they're one of the leading companies in diesel development :)

MatsHolden
31st October 2007, 10:55 PM
I can say the same about the astra hatch...its very ugly...thats why I didnt buy one and went for the coupe instead. the back of the hatch is terrible to be honest...with those big white indicators in the old model..yak!

Agree the tail lights were average, but they now look the goods. The rest of it looks fine to me. But each to their own.

USC
31st October 2007, 11:00 PM
fiat is like daewoo for me...my cousin used to own one about 10 years ago...and I know all about old fiats....

alright, they probably improved over years and has now developed some good diesel engines but they are not ahead of isuzu in diesel technology.

holden rodeo is basically an isuzu....so yeh, GM is still using izusu engines.

dieselhead
31st October 2007, 11:03 PM
when I said GM is not using Isuzu anymore I was talking about cars. sorry, the Rodeo in anything but that :)
Isuzu were OK a few years ago, but now they're well behind the Italians and the Germans. Show me one performant Diesel that comes from Japan. again, talking cars here, not barrels on wheels like the Rodeo.

MatsHolden
31st October 2007, 11:10 PM
The 1.7L Diesel used by Opel is actually from Isuzu. At least up until GM sold their 49% share of Isuzu.

USC
31st October 2007, 11:38 PM
The 1.7L Diesel used by Opel is actually from Isuzu. At least up until GM sold their 49% share of Isuzu.

yep...thats correct.

http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/technology/randd/project2/04.html[/URL]

isuzu makes diesel engines for saab, honda civic, opel corsa...

[URL]http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/technology/randd/project2/05.html (http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=vauxhall_astra_17_td_isuzu_ec u)

Vectracious
1st November 2007, 12:06 AM
LOL - what a hilarious thread! Especially how its become ANOTHER "diesel is the be all and end all thread" - like we haven't seen enough of them :rolleyes:;)

As for the Commo, Dad is getting his VE Calais on Friday so am hanging out to see what it is like. Have already driven my mates VE GTS and it was brilliant.

USC
1st November 2007, 12:14 AM
LOL - what a hilarious thread! Especially how its become ANOTHER "diesel is the be all and end all thread" - like we haven't seen enough of them :rolleyes:;)

As for the Commo, Dad is getting his VE Calais on Friday so am hanging out to see what it is like. Have already driven my mates VE GTS and it was brilliant.

GTS would be heaps better than the calais right?

Vectracious
1st November 2007, 12:15 AM
GTS would be heaps better than the calais right?

it depends what you want in a car mate...

USC
1st November 2007, 12:36 AM
it depends what you want in a car mate...

power, comfort, looks..which the HSV would have more than a calais...nevertheless, the calais is still a nice car.

oneightoo
1st November 2007, 07:18 AM

digifish

ok, i have a LOT of experience with this..

i've been waterskiing for many many years now.. originally the car that put the boat in the water was a nissan pulsar, it's only been the last 5 years that a falcon has been doing it..

and trust me, i know which i prefer doing it in, and it aint the little pulsar.....

oneightoo
1st November 2007, 07:18 AM
This is more my type...

http://autoreview.belproject.com/media/1/20061117-aston-martin-v8-vantage-loder1899-back.jpg

amen to that :D

rjastra
1st November 2007, 08:18 AM
Ford Mondeo... can people go and research how much one of those things weighs. I think you will be surprised. And not in a good way :)

The top range model isn't all that much lighter than the old VZ commodore.

digifish
1st November 2007, 08:45 AM
ok, i have a LOT of experience with this..

This was raised as something front wheel drive cars can't do. It's not true. Also was raised as a reason to own a big dumb bus. Problem is on the way to work today I counted 48 commodores, 5 had tow bars.

digifish

rjastra
1st November 2007, 09:19 AM
Towing is not only dependent on the drivetrain configuration but also vehicle mass.

Some cars simply do not have the towing capacity no matter the power/torque output of the engine.

For instance. No Astra model can tow more than 1300kg. And thats with a trailer with brakes. It dips to 600kg for an unbraked trailer.

Whereas a Commodore pushes this to 2100kg. That leaves you with a much larger safety margin when towing.

GreyRex
1st November 2007, 09:39 AM
I've more or less grown up with a Commodore in my family. My parents had a VR, VT, VY then VZ. All suited the purpose of being big enough for a family of five including three boys and comfortably towing a 17ft caravan. They were fairly safe, fairly reliable and parts weren't that expensive. Like most families, it suited our purpose at the time. Got to say though, the Commodore phase is over as we now have a 3.0L Liberty Spec B and I have the Astra Turbo. Mum has commented on the fact that she just couldn't back to a Commodore now...

oneightoo
1st November 2007, 10:06 AM
This was raised as something front wheel drive cars can't do. It's not true. Also was raised as a reason to own a big dumb bus. Problem is on the way to work today I counted 48 commodores, 5 had tow bars.

digifish

ever launched or pulled a boat out of the water?

oneightoo
1st November 2007, 10:08 AM
I've more or less grown up with a Commodore in my family. My parents had a VR, VT, VY then VZ. All suited the purpose of being big enough for a family of five including three boys and comfortably towing a 17ft caravan. They were fairly safe, fairly reliable and parts weren't that expensive. Like most families, it suited our purpose at the time. Got to say though, the Commodore phase is over as we now have a 3.0L Liberty Spec B and I have the Astra Turbo. Mum has commented on the fact that she just couldn't back to a Commodore now...

ROFL

if i had the liberty i wouldnt go back to a commodore either!

cbrmale
1st November 2007, 10:19 AM
In Canberra, we don't have many fleet cars, and the few fleet cars we have are public service. The public service these days generally buys Astras. The majority of privately owned Commodores start life as a fleet cars, thrashed to death by a sales rep for 18 months before being flogged at auction. Private buyers do not buy large cars.

I can drive all the way to work and home, and maybe see two or three Commodores or Falcons on the way, and maybe two or three four-wheel-drives as well. And when I go to Sydney or Melbourne, they are everywhere - both big cars and four-wheel-drives! If we in Canberra can manage with economical compact and medium-sized cars, I'm sure the rest of Australia can.

In Canberra we typically do more country road driving, and on narrow winding rural roads I would rather have a compact car than a boat. I know, I've driven fleet Commodores in years past, and they are hopeless on back roads - too big.

Final point, I don't watch much television, but when I do the only Holden ad I see these days is for the Astra, you'll know the one I mean. Why do you think Holden is putting so much effort into selling Astras? Probably something to do with not wasting money flogging a dead horse in these days of high petrol prices.

digifish
1st November 2007, 11:16 AM
ever launched or pulled a boat out of the water?

Yes. I was a member of the Esperance Bay Yacht Club for 10 years.

http://members.westnet.com.au/ebyc/

digifish

Vectracious
1st November 2007, 11:30 AM
power, comfort, looks..which the HSV would have more than a calais...nevertheless, the calais is still a nice car.

The GTS is basically a Calais with sports suspension, a body kit, different V8 and tranny. Some people may not want all that, and just be happy with a 6 that can do 10L/100km/h and an auto transmission with climate and cruise.

USC
1st November 2007, 11:36 AM
The GTS is basically a Calais with sports suspension, a body kit, different V8 and tranny. Some people may not want all that, and just be happy with a 6 that can do 10L/100km/h and an auto transmission with climate and cruise.

thats like saying the sri-t is just an astra with better engine,leather seats..etc etc.

who wouldnt want a GTS? If I have to pick one, I would go for GTS anyday.

calais is bit more grandpaish...:p ..but i guess its ur dad and not u buying it...so that`s ok...haha;)

oneightoo
1st November 2007, 12:02 PM
Yes. I was a member of the Esperance Bay Yacht Club for 10 years.

http://members.westnet.com.au/ebyc/

digifish

and you still think a little fwd car is good for boating??

digifish
1st November 2007, 12:04 PM
and you still think a little fwd car is good for boating??

It depends on

1. Size and weight of the boat.
2. Size and weight of the FWD car
3. Attack angle of the ramp
4. Ramp surface.

...so there can be no blanket answer. RWD cars can suck just as much on a boat ramp. 4WD cars are surely the answer?

digifish

oneightoo
1st November 2007, 12:10 PM
disagree, if a rwd car has trouble with a boat ramp, the fwd car will have more trouble..

example; rwd car pulling an average sized speed boat out of the water on a slippery ramp.. 1 average sized male stands on the trailer attachment.. boat comes out nicely.. 5 mins later on the same ramp, with a slightly smaller/lighter speed boat, fwd pulsar attempts the same retrieval.. result is, we look silly and ask the guy in the commodore to pull the boat out..

moral to the story: get an awd/4wd and we'll both be happy :D

Vectracious
1st November 2007, 12:17 PM
thats like saying the sri-t is just an astra with better engine,leather seats..etc etc.

who wouldnt want a GTS? If I have to pick one, I would go for GTS anyday.

calais is bit more grandpaish...:p ..but i guess its ur dad and not u buying it...so that`s ok...haha;)

You just answered your own question ;) :D

And yes an SRiT is just an astra with a bit of extra on it.

MatsHolden
1st November 2007, 12:21 PM

And a WRX is just an Imprezza with seats, an engine and some body bits. :p Oh and a dickhead for a driver. :D

Vectracious
1st November 2007, 12:39 PM
And a WRX is just an Imprezza with seats, an engine and some body bits. :p

When have I ever said my car was anything more than an econobox with a hair dryer? :p If we do a search we'll probably find it on the forums....

Oh and a dickhead for a driver. :D

Oh whats that? Look a barina going arse first into the scenery..... ;) :p

MatsHolden
1st November 2007, 12:42 PM
When have I ever said my car was anything more than an econobox with a hair dryer? :p If we do a search we'll probably find it on the forums....

Oh whats that? Look a barina going arse first into the scenery..... ;) :p

econobox with a hair dryer! bahahaha Pretty sure I havn't seen that before.

As for the Barina going arse first into the scenery... what are you talking about? It's a Corsa. :o :p

Vectracious
1st November 2007, 12:44 PM
Only Holden Corsa I know of is a limited edition VL :p :D

MatsHolden
1st November 2007, 12:45 PM
Only Holden Corsa I know of is a limited edition VL :p :D

Yeh mate, it is a VL... Open your eyes. CAn't believe you didn't notice. It's even got a dose pipe alright? Geezzz.

Ok lets stop ruining the thread... as if it wasn't funny enough already.

digifish
1st November 2007, 12:56 PM
disagree, if a rwd car has trouble with a boat ramp, the fwd car will have more trouble..

moral to the story: get an awd/4wd and we'll both be happy :D

I disagree, many boat ramps are slimy at the water mark. RWD cars often get on this slimy stuff while the FWD car is on a dry/less slimy part. There is no simple answer.

4WD is indeed a sensible solution if you are launching a heavy boat.

digifish

Wraith
1st November 2007, 01:22 PM
LOL :D this thread is funny, just like the similar if not identicle ones by digifish in the past - every couple of months or so :D

At least it gets people 'on board' with heaps of participation :)

digifish
1st November 2007, 01:24 PM
LOL :D this thread is funny, just like the similar if not identicle ones by digifish in the past - every couple of months or so :D

At least it gets people 'on board' with heaps of participation :)

Well I had the same experience last time :)

BTW: I have been deliberately trolling...

and the VE is a BIG DUMB BUS! :D

digifish

Wraith
1st November 2007, 01:29 PM
BTW: I have been deliberately trolling...

Yes, I suspected this when the thread 1st appeared yesterday, as you already told us about your negative V6 VE Commodore experiences in a very similar thread months ago ;)

btm
1st November 2007, 01:30 PM
and the VE is a BIG DUMB BUS! :D
will still blow your car out of the water anyday though :D

MatsHolden
1st November 2007, 01:31 PM
Another "CDTi is better than the space shuttle" thread, in disguise.

digifish
1st November 2007, 01:33 PM
will still blow your car out of the water anyday though :D

What the Omega VE? I don't think so :P

Wraith
1st November 2007, 01:35 PM
Another "CDTi is better than the space shuttle" thread, in disguise.

LOL :D

USC
1st November 2007, 01:47 PM

yeh, I know I answered my own question;) ..my point was that even though its the same body, most things are different.

similar story with the wrx`s and the evo`s...

Vectracious
1st November 2007, 02:04 PM
yeh, I know I answered my own question;) ..my point was that even though its the same body, most things are different.

similar story with the wrx`s and the evo`s...

Yeah, there may be a different engine and altered suspension tune or whatever, but its not as if the car is "made" in a different way or assembled any better than your base model CD - so you can argue that most things aren't really different at all.

USC
1st November 2007, 02:18 PM
whether they are made the same way or not, some models look and drive a lot better than others.

do you guys know where astra`s are manufactured?
1. Belgium
2. UK
3. Germany???---im not sure if they put the car together there...but I would love to own a german built astra.

Vectracious
1st November 2007, 02:23 PM
3. Germany???---im not sure if they put the car together there...but I would love to own a german built astra.

because its built in Germany, it will automatically be better?

And I would say our Astra's are Belgian. (the G was before it moved to Poland for the Classic)

USC
1st November 2007, 02:39 PM
because its built in Germany, it will automatically be better?

And I would say our Astra's are Belgian. (the G was before it moved to Poland for the Classic)

yes...

cbrmale
1st November 2007, 02:52 PM
The Astra is designed in Germany but it is built in Antwerp, where it always rains.

Three observations on this discussion:
1. How many of the thousands of Commodores on the road are used to pull boats up slimy ramps? And if the Commodore was no longer available, wouldn't a suitable four-wheel-drive do the job just as well?

2. The research and development budget of the Commodore is miniscule by world standards, which is why there are so many problems and recalls. Product testing is done on the road by Australian drivers! One VT Commodore I used to drive from time to time needed four recalls dealt with before I took it on a long drive through north-east Victoria. And the quality! When I ordered my Astra there was a orange Commodore with wings and vents and the paintwork - oh my God! I have never seen so much orange peel, it was truly terrible.

3. We have two big global problems at the moment. The biggest is climate change, and gas guzzling carbon-dioxide-spewing big cars aren't helping. The other is oil, the world is running out of the stuff.

My sporty Astra automatic can carry four in comfort, do 8.5 litres / 100km around town (much less on the highway), it has loads more straight-line go than a Commodore and it handles a lot better. So why would you bother?

At least Ford has the right idea, with the Focus entering local production. Watch this space as the Falcon disappears off the market.

Vectracious
1st November 2007, 02:59 PM
yes...

and that is based on?

USC
1st November 2007, 03:14 PM
take for example, BMW`s built in South Africa, they are not as good as german built ones. I have bought parts for the astra manufactured in the uk, germany and other countries like turkey etc and german always looked better built.

Vectracious
1st November 2007, 04:24 PM
You'll get good and bad from anywhere - Merc's have had quality problems for years - were they the German ones or the "other" ones...?

And cbrmale brings up a good point - there has been so much hoo-haa about the 1 billion spent on the Commodore - it was just the first Australian car to spend that much - everyone else has been spending much more for longer.

USC
1st November 2007, 04:29 PM
You'll get good and bad from anywhere - Merc's have had quality problems for years - were they the German ones or the "other" ones...?

And cbrmale brings up a good point - there has been so much hoo-haa about the 1 billion spent on the Commodore - it was just the first Australian car to spend that much - everyone else has been spending much more for longer.

other manufcturers spend more because they actually design the engine too. The commodore engine was designed in the US if I am not wrong.

Vectracious
1st November 2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah, first seen in Caddy's a few years before Holden put them in VZ Series 2

Edit

Good ol wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alloytec

xplosv57
1st November 2007, 05:14 PM
Wow this thread has gone for 10 pages, what a laugh!!!

cbrmale
1st November 2007, 06:14 PM
other manufcturers spend more because they actually design the engine too. The commodore engine was designed in the US if I am not wrong.

No, not quite. I used to work in the industry, and what amazes me is not that the Commodore and Falcon are badly designed (which they are), but that given the tiny budget they have, they are not worse! The one billion includes amortisation of the engine development cost and US head office overheads and anything else GM could think of (tooling, which is not development). The actual model redesign cost was actually quite small.

The car marker I worked for was Mercedes Benz, and quality of their cars was patchy. Some things worked well and lasted forever, some things were shabby, and some things failed on model after model and year after year, and the factory seemed unable or unwilling to rectify these design faults.

bornwild
1st November 2007, 07:50 PM

Quality problems such as "the leather isn't what it used to be" not the ones of likes "my water pump ****ed up".

:cool:

MatsHolden
1st November 2007, 08:24 PM
No, not quite. I used to work in the industry, and what amazes me is not that the Commodore and Falcon are badly designed (which they are),

What's bad design about the VE? I've taken a keen interest in the design of the VE and it's all pretty well thought out, using modular design to good effect in many areas.

Vectracious
2nd November 2007, 08:18 AM
Quality problems such as "the leather isn't what it used to be" not the ones of likes "my water pump ****ed up".

The car marker I worked for was Mercedes Benz, and quality of their cars was patchy. Some things worked well and lasted forever, some things were shabby, and some things failed on model after model and year after year, and the factory seemed unable or unwilling to rectify these design faults.

Thanks cbrmale - thats what I was talking about when I mentioned MB.

rjastra
2nd November 2007, 08:38 AM

The japanese seem to do this as well. Not fixing faults until a complete model refresh. MX5s had niggly problems that were present during the entire NA/NB run! In fact you could say the last of the NBs (2001-) had the most faults of any.

rjastra
2nd November 2007, 08:39 AM

LOL the old "leathers not leather" issue. MB have always had MB TEX (or similar) in the range. My parents 1970 250 compact came with MB TEX as standard. THat stuff can withstand a nuclear war!

BMW sell 3 series in the USA with standard "leatherette". Artificial leather :)

USC
2nd November 2007, 09:49 AM
LOL the old "leathers not leather" issue. MB have always had MB TEX (or similar) in the range. My parents 1970 250 compact came with MB TEX as standard. THat stuff can withstand a nuclear war!

BMW sell 3 series in the USA with standard "leatherette". Artificial leather :)

what does the sri-t have?? is it that fake leather?

btm
2nd November 2007, 10:17 AM

no, i don't believe so

blueraven
2nd November 2007, 12:03 PM

Dunno about the AH, but the TS SriT has some of the thickest and best quality leather i have seen in a car....mate of mines subaru libert feels like the leather is wafer thin, and a freind of mine with an Accord thats the same age as my car, the leather in that look heaps more worn than mine. Next door neighbor's lexus has nice leather, but still doesnt feel as thick.

luvpsi
2nd November 2007, 12:44 PM
Dunno about the AH, but the TS SriT has some of the thickest and best quality leather i have seen in a car....mate of mines subaru libert feels like the leather is wafer thin, and a freind of mine with an Accord thats the same age as my car, the leather in that look heaps more worn than mine. Next door neighbor's lexus has nice leather, but still doesnt feel as thick.

does yours have grainy or smooth leather? I can recall someone telling me that the 04 build models have different leather than the 03 build ones?

mine is also very nice and strong, and because I have conditioned it every friday :D since I have bought the car it still looks like new ;)

cbrmale
2nd November 2007, 02:07 PM
The japanese seem to do this as well. Not fixing faults until a complete model refresh. MX5s had niggly problems that were present during the entire NA/NB run! In fact you could say the last of the NBs (2001-) had the most faults of any.

Mercedies had faults that ran from new model to new model. During my time, power windows were a problem. They told me they were failing in the late 1970s, and still failing with the same fault in the late 1980s. When they were shipped, the distributors used to re-assemble the interior. Movement on the boat would cause the interior panels to pop out.

The big things with Mercs were okay: the bodies were strong and rugged, the engines long-lasting, the handling well-sorted.

MB-tex was brown vinyl, and they haven't used it in years! It was rugged, but very unpleasant to sit on because it didn't breathe.

I am quite impressed by the leather on my SRi's seats, it is thick and looks like it will last well.

btm
2nd November 2007, 02:09 PM
I am quite impressed by the leather on my SRi's seats, it is thick and looks like it will last well.
do you have a G or an H?

USC
2nd November 2007, 02:51 PM
leather on ths H is quite thick indeed...and feels strong!

GreyRex
2nd November 2007, 02:59 PM
leather on ths H is quite thick indeed...and feels strong!

Maybe it's because the seats are so hard lol?

Wraith
2nd November 2007, 03:18 PM
Seats on most Opels, new and old, standard and sports are Recaros - that may have something to do with it ;)

cbrmale
2nd November 2007, 04:20 PM
do you have a G or an H?

I have a H - MY7.5. Soft seats are bad, sinking into a soft cushion cuts blood flow and causes a sore bottom. Firm seats are good for the long hauls. The longest I've driven this car is about 450km in a day, and the seats were great, best I've had.

dieselhead
2nd November 2007, 05:02 PM
I've done 900 km in about 10.5 hours in my Astra this week and got there one piece, no sore bottom. You're right, soft seats are bad. The damping compliance should be in car's ssuspension, not in the seat like in big mofo trucks :)

MatsHolden
2nd November 2007, 06:43 PM
The only thing that could be better on the AH leather is the plastic protective coating used. It grips at your pants.

USC
3rd November 2007, 02:44 AM
The only thing that could be better on the AH leather is the plastic protective coating used. It grips at your pants.

not on mine...
what type of paints do u wear..:)

bornwild
3rd November 2007, 03:03 AM
Must be Politix :D (pun intended)

MatsHolden
3rd November 2007, 11:46 AM
Definately grips, it's like a rubbery type of feel. Prefer it to be a little more 'slippery'. But wouldn't stop me from buying one.

Vectracious
3rd November 2007, 12:18 PM
Dad picked up his new VE Calais last night - and went for a quick drive. All I can say is for about 45K - its a brilliant car. I was actually surprised how quick it actually was for a 6 - and when I got home I looked at the Wheels showroom guide, and they have it clocked at 7.4 for 0-100! That's definately quick enough for Dad (not for me- but still quite respectable)

Trip computer was showing average fuel of 11.3 L/100km and Dad hadn't even been on a Freeway yet - just city driving. My WRX averages that.

It feels a lot more solid than the VZ, and from what I could tell, would handle a lot better as well (took one corner a little too quick for the old man's liking - I guess you'd be protective when your car only has 67km on the Odo, and you hoon son is driving it like a WRX :p )

Had a look at other prices in teh showroom guide, the Calais is listed at $45490.
Only Beemer at that price: 120i Steptronic
Mercedes: A200 and B200

Yes, they are new prices, and I havent taken into account resale values (Dad leases his cars so couldn't give a toss if its only worth half in 3 years - makes it cheaper to buy) and buying it second hand etc etc - because that many variables could make us argue until the cows came home, but if I had 45K to spend on a new car, I know what I'd be buying. ;)

digifish
3rd November 2007, 12:32 PM
...but if I had 45K to spend on a new car, I know what I'd be buying. ;)

Yeah, a Golf GTI :)

USC
3rd November 2007, 12:33 PM
Definately grips, it's like a rubbery type of feel. Prefer it to be a little more 'slippery'. But wouldn't stop me from buying one.

really?? may be the car u tested had bad batch of leather...mine does not grip...

leather conditioner would help make it slippery.

sooty
3rd November 2007, 12:33 PM
ahahahah...this reminds me of a quote
"Don't you ever give up...."

Vectracious
3rd November 2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah, a Golf GTI :)

LOL - well yes (or the new WRX - they are growing on me) or (and a big or at that) - a Skoda Octavia RS (and thats only 37K list price) !

MatsHolden
3rd November 2007, 12:36 PM
really?? may be the car u tested had bad batch of leather...mine does not grip...

leather conditioner would help make it slippery.

Nah wouldn't be a bad batch, both the old man's Turbo and brothers CDX are the same.

USC
3rd November 2007, 12:36 PM
Dad picked up his new VE Calais last night - and went for a quick drive. All I can say is for about 45K - its a brilliant car. I was actually surprised how quick it actually was for a 6 - and when I got home I looked at the Wheels showroom guide, and they have it clocked at 7.4 for 0-100! That's definately quick enough for Dad (not for me- but still quite respectable)

Trip computer was showing average fuel of 11.3 L/100km and Dad hadn't even been on a Freeway yet - just city driving. My WRX averages that.

It feels a lot more solid than the VZ, and from what I could tell, would handle a lot better as well (took one corner a little too quick for the old man's liking - I guess you'd be protective when your car only has 67km on the Odo, and you hoon son is driving it like a WRX :p )

Had a look at other prices in teh showroom guide, the Calais is listed at $45490.
Only Beemer at that price: 120i Steptronic
Mercedes: A200 and B200

Yes, they are new prices, and I havent taken into account resale values (Dad leases his cars so couldn't give a toss if its only worth half in 3 years - makes it cheaper to buy) and buying it second hand etc etc - because that many variables could make us argue until the cows came home, but if I had 45K to spend on a new car, I know what I'd be buying. ;)

nice..what colour did he get? first mod could be to get the GTS rear lights:D

USC
3rd November 2007, 12:37 PM
Nah wouldn't be a bad batch, both the old man's Turbo and brothers CDX are the same.

try putting tons of leather conditioner on it and let it soak overnight...that should do it...;)

MatsHolden
3rd November 2007, 12:37 PM

Can't do the GTS lights mate... Well you could but you'd have to try and get your hands on an HSV rear bar.

Vectracious
3rd November 2007, 12:39 PM

silver - stays cleanest for longest especially with the water restrictions. The VZ was black so he wanted something with less maintenance :rolleyes: (read Lazy)

I would have thought GTS lights would need new rear sheet metal as the lights are completely different?

USC
3rd November 2007, 12:56 PM
silver - stays cleanest for longest especially with the water restrictions. The VZ was black so he wanted something with less maintenance :rolleyes: (read Lazy)

I would have thought GTS lights would need new rear sheet metal as the lights are completely different?

actually, I think you are right regarding rear lights. hsv is more clever now..:p .. The SS-V rear lights look amazing..better than the HSV I think... and they would fit the calais no probs.

yeh, silver looks good! I also like dark grey but not sure if they come in that colour.

Vectracious
3rd November 2007, 01:01 PM
actually, I think you are right regarding rear lights. hsv is more clever now..:p .. The SS-V rear lights look amazing..better than the HSV I think... and they would fit the calais no probs.

yeh, silver looks good! I also like dark grey but not sure if they come in that colour.

just looking at the website, theres a colour called Evoke (which looks like a charcoal (but on my monitor it almost looks brown!) - Dad got the "nickel"

only saw it at night, so dunno what it is like in the day - silver's a classic colour anyway so can't really go too wrong.

cbrmale
3rd November 2007, 05:11 PM
Commodore resale values - well enough said. I never understood why they named their upper model 'Calais'. Calais is probably the dirtiest, seediest most crime-ridden city in France. Maybe GM is trying to tell us something.

My experience of Commodores in the late '90's is that you can't make an almost two tonne car handle as well as a smaller lighter car, and it takes more than one fast corner to show up the problem of making all that weight change direction. And when you drive it quickly - you feel it! My God they're heavy. And stopping all that weight, you feel that too!

The other problem I found with Commodores is that they are very wide (too wide?) for many of our rural roads, which means you only have one line through a curve, and this is very restrictive to quick motoring.

While the VE may be better in some ways than the VT I was familiar with, the basic problems of the physics of weight and the impracticality of excessive width won't go away - in fact it is probably worse given the new car is heavier (progress?).

bornwild
3rd November 2007, 05:19 PM
While the VE may be better in some ways than the VT I was familiar with, the basic problems of the physics of weight and the impracticality of excessive width won't go away - in fact it is probably worse given the new car is heavier (progress?).

Well said. Couldn't have put it better myself. Now this thread can be locked and stickied. :cool:

Shaun
4th November 2007, 12:42 AM
That's my point it's a STUPID car.

Crap handling, guzzles fuel...dumb.

It flollops all over the road like a drunk pelican...it really does feel stupid after the CDTi.

digifish

Point is you Have No CLUE tool. For a start your CDTi is about 500-600kgs lighter then a VE Commodore. If the VE had a Turbo Diesel fitted it would MUNCH the Astra on fuel Consumption. They are two cars that cant be compared. Go and Compare you CDTi to a Focus Turbo Diesel or a Golf Turbo Diesel.

For **** Sakes Get get a life.

bornwild
4th November 2007, 12:56 AM
lol Shaun.....revise that post mate

Shaun
4th November 2007, 12:59 AM
lol Shaun.....revise that post mate

Edited.

bornwild
4th November 2007, 01:24 AM
Shaun, any comments on the crap handling, fuel guzzling and wolloping around like a drunken pelican?

Shaun
4th November 2007, 01:42 AM
Shaun, any comments on the crap handling, fuel guzzling and wolloping around like a drunken pelican?

Couple of words come to mind. " WHEELS CAR OF THE YEAR " Sums it all up i think.

Astra CDTi has yet to grab any claim to fame worthy of mentioning. And the fuel consumption dont count because Vollkswagen have the same claim with the Golf Turbo Diesel .

Bornsoft... Got anything constructive that actually worth listening too ... or should we just attach a bucket to your head to catch the shit you dribble all the time.

Shaun
4th November 2007, 01:45 AM
Yes free.

No I know I wouldn't. I actually don't care about the cost of running it...but I feel like a sap :)

digifish.

You should be used to feeling like a sap because you are one......!!!

Shaun
4th November 2007, 01:48 AM

I mean...seriously

And your point being ?? The Same thing Happen with the when the AH Astra was Released.

Considering the Advancements made in the VE over the VZ you would expect that to happen.

The Saftey features for a start and a stronger Body of cause . 100kgs in a road car theses days isnt that much when you consider the added features and saftey element added to the vehicle.

bornwild
4th November 2007, 01:49 AM
I would love to meet your parents. :)

Shaun
4th November 2007, 01:54 AM
Yeah but the Commodore was a heavyweight as it was.

The astra is like a nice steaming hot chick putting on some love handles....whereas the commodore is a fat mofo on a mcdonalds diet :D:p

They are TWO COMPLETELY different Cars. Tell us with your so called " knowledge" How can they be compared for a start? one is in the Small / Med class one is in the large segment.

it would be like Putting a GT3 up against a smart car for a test.

Shaun
4th November 2007, 01:57 AM
I would love to meet your parents. :)

You have got to be the biggest ****wit i have seen on car forums to date.

You have no clue.. I have found with in the 1st page that many places you have needed correcting.

Should i contuine.. Ohh btw tool go complain to Admin.. Im sure they would love to hear you cry again like always about me hassling you or picking on you.

As for meeting my parents they wouldnt even waste there time on GIT like you. And dont start this " bogan" comments again about me as you havent got clue what i have seen done and where i have been.

Shaun
4th November 2007, 01:59 AM
If you're gonna do a joke on my username then please do it properly. Just take the opposite of wild....say...tame!

BornTame....now that's much better. :)

Bornsoft is more fitting.... You dont get what it means with makes even more funny...

bornwild
4th November 2007, 02:12 AM
lawl :D I'd just like to meet them to see what made you such a frustrated young man

Shaun
4th November 2007, 02:15 AM
lawl :D I'd just like to meet them to see what made you such a frustrated young man

Your dumb post and ****ed up advice .. As a SENIOR Member of this forum and an the ADMIN of NSW im sick of seeing your shit thats miss leading. Stop posting MISSLEADING information and BULLSHIT and there wouldnt be a problem.

Go back and read your post and what others have said. They are just kind. Im over being kind and will tell you in the in the bluntest way possible but you dont seem to get the message either way.

Dave
4th November 2007, 03:46 AM
Lmfao, you 2 crack me up to no end :D classic.

digifish
4th November 2007, 11:12 AM
Did someone hack into Shauns account or is he having a psychotic episode...or is this a lesson in not doing drugs and the internet at the same time?

digifish

Black Nugget
4th November 2007, 11:29 AM
hahah this is classic.... the only way this problem could be resolved is to make a lightweight RWD sedan that has a decent engine and a sub 50k price range.

But this does not exist. So lets just settle that rather than arguing with oursleves we force holden to make RWD V6/V8/Diesel sedan/hatch below 1500kgs and 40k.:D :D

dieselhead
4th November 2007, 12:41 PM
the only way this problem could be resolved is to make a lightweight RWD sedan that has a decent engine and a sub 50k price range.

yeah, and let's call it TORANA!

SRI Wannabe
4th November 2007, 01:16 PM
They are TWO COMPLETELY different Cars. Tell us with your so called " knowledge" How can they be compared for a start? one is in the Small / Med class one is in the large segment.

it would be like Putting a GT3 up against a smart car for a test.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh and as for Torana shame it's still a fair way off yet :(

bornwild
4th November 2007, 01:56 PM
Noone was comparing the Commodore against the Astra....it was simply said, "commodore is a shit car".

EL BURITO
4th November 2007, 03:17 PM
Noone was comparing the Commodore against the Astra....it was simply said, "commodore is a shit car".
I think it was more "Big dumb bus"

bornwild
4th November 2007, 04:06 PM
Something like that :D

Shaun
4th November 2007, 06:04 PM
Did someone hack into Shauns account or is he having a psychotic episode...or is this a lesson in not doing drugs and the internet at the same time?

digifish
No one hacked but for **** sakes your comparing two different cars. Get over your Diesel Fetish because its starting to become really annoying.

digifish
4th November 2007, 06:10 PM
No one hacked but for **** sakes your comparing two different cars. Get over your Diesel Fetish because its starting to become really annoying.

You need to get a grip Shaun.

digifish

bornwild
4th November 2007, 06:12 PM
GOLD! :D ahahahhahahaahhahahahahahhahaahhahaaahahahahha:spa m::spam:

Shaun
4th November 2007, 06:19 PM
You need to get a grip Shaun.

digifish

GOLD! :D ahahahhahahaahhahahahahahhahaahhahaaahahahahha:spa m::spam:

The pair of you both need to get a life . You both Talk shit. Your comparing cars that aren't compairable. They arent even in the same class. When will you both get the hint...
You are both being tools about it.

bornwild
4th November 2007, 06:21 PM
Come on Shauny!!!! Give us a hug!!!! :D:D:D:D

Shaun
4th November 2007, 06:26 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh and as for Torana shame it's still a fair way off yet :(

Thank **** someone knows what im meant

Dave
4th November 2007, 06:30 PM
meh, not realy being a commonwhore fan, i dont like em, seeing the price tag on the astra, lack of support in aftermarket bits in aus, i dont like em, much :p

YET, both are good at what there built for, commonwhore for carting around bogans, mainly because there cheap.

Astra for putting most of them to shame in terms of handling, and oddly enuff, acceleration against the older 6's vns and the like :D

Big pluss for the astra = fuel saveing

Big pluss for the commonwhore is theres more room to bonk in the back seat.

Another pluss for the commonwhore, they do alright skids.

Another pluss for the astra, commonwhores hate it when they get beat by a " Chicks car "

A cars a car, yet i wouldnt own either again :p nor a ford, eww.

Unless it was old, had a big dirty v8 under the hood, emptyd my wallet whenever i took it down the road and had plenty of WANK value.

In the case, seeing as how i live amongst the bogans, i just might own it :p

But then again who doesnt want a great big v8.

KID_SRi
4th November 2007, 06:31 PM
The pair of you both need to get a life . You both Talk shit. Your comparing cars that aren't compairable. They arent even in the same class. When will you both get the hint...
You are both being tools about it.

It needed to be said Shaun *Applaudes*

As a former Owner of Astra SRi replaced by a VYII Acclaim Wagon, as the SRi wasn't suitable carting Greyhounds Around or TOWING a 6 Berth Dog Trailer.
The Comparisions I've seen so for in this "Disscussion"
Its like Comparing a Suzuki Vitara against my Nissan Navara ST-R, NO CONTEST. 2 TOTALLY Different Vehicles built for 2 Totally Different Circumstances.
I think CDTi Astras' are a Great Vehicle, I just wouldn't wanna own one out of Warranty when the Engine goes Bang. Diesels are 5x more expensive to fix.
So good Luck in ya Narrow Minded Views.

FLAME ON BITCHES :)

Shaun
4th November 2007, 06:35 PM
It needed to be said Shaun *Applaudes*

As a former Owner of Astra SRi replaced by a VYII Acclaim Wagon, as the SRi wasn't suitable carting Greyhounds Around or TOWING a 6 Berth Dog Trailer.
The Comparisions I've seen so for in this "Disscussion"
Its like Comparing a Suzuki Vitara against my Nissan Navara ST-R, NO CONTEST. 2 TOTALLY Different Vehicles built for 2 Totally Different Circumstances.
I think CDTi Astras' are a Great Vehicle, I just wouldn't wanna own one out of Warranty when the Engine goes Bang. Diesels are 5x more expensive to fix.
So good Luck in ya Narrow Minded Views.

FLAME ON BITCHES :)

I too dont dispute the CDTi is a good car. But the Narrow minded views that the VE is rubbish is completely stupid. As i said how can they compare a CDTi against a Omega or SS-V for that matter.

I believe value for money a Captiva Diesel is a good option as well But there Narrow minded comments that the commodore is compete rubbish on fuel are false and missleading. Im glad the someone actually seeing the point. As they are claiming they arent comparing the VE against the CDTi which they have clearly both have done in the thread.

digifish
4th November 2007, 06:59 PM
I too dont dispute the CDTi is a good car. But the Narrow minded views that the VE is rubbish is completely stupid. As i said how can they compare a CDTi against a Omega or SS-V for that matter.

Are you still ranting Shaun? I'd get that looked at.

digifish

Vectracious
4th November 2007, 07:05 PM
:wall:

Enough.