PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Mustang SS

bornwild
31st October 2007, 09:54 AM
Buy a Mustang GT500?... $42000

Bolt on a factory supercharger kit?... $28000

Having 420kW at the wheels?... Priceless

Test Drive is here (http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=6056).

I'm not a big fan of American cars....but **** I'd have this!!

http://photo.netcarshow.com/Ford-Mustang_Shelby_GT500KR_2008_photo_01.jpg
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Ford-Mustang_Shelby_GT500KR_2008_photo_05.jpg
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Ford-Mustang_Shelby_GT500KR_2008_photo_03.jpg

USC
31st October 2007, 10:02 AM
yep..id have this anyday...looks wicked!

btm
31st October 2007, 10:03 AM
Eleanor! :D

oneightoo
31st October 2007, 10:08 AM
a bolt on kit costs $28k????

Wraith
31st October 2007, 10:10 AM
Being old shcool and an avid V8 person, I couldn't say no to that either....

But I would much prefer a Corvette with a TT LS7 :D would cost a bit more though :)

Apex
31st October 2007, 10:11 AM
Nice..I love the way they still use a live rear end to keep costs down :clap:

bornwild
31st October 2007, 10:12 AM

Apparently they have some special edition mustang over in the US called GT500KR(king of the road) and this SS(SuperSnake) is a special edition of the special edition KR....

So yeah....lol:D

It's not just a supercharger, they've tweaked a fair bit to it. Read the test drive. If only Ford AU would bring out a falcon with this engine....HSV bye bye:D

bornwild
31st October 2007, 10:12 AM
Nice..I love the way they still use a live rear end to keep costs down :clap:

Might sound like a stupid question....what the heck is a live rear?

oneightoo
31st October 2007, 10:14 AM
Apparently they have some special edition mustang over in the US called GT500KR(king of the road) and this SS(SuperSnake) is a special edition of the special edition KR....

So yeah....lol:D

It's not just a supercharger, they've tweaked a fair bit to it. Read the test drive. If only Ford AU would bring out a falcon with this engine....HSV bye bye:D

ok, it's an additional $28k for the supercharged and a bit more here and there version..

that sounds more like it..

Wraith
31st October 2007, 10:15 AM

Yep, some of the better ones which come with a warranty and emissions compliance certificate etc. so that it's all legal and you can get insurance etc. (albeit at a monstrous cost - $6000 p/a quoted to me for a TT Munro)

You can get forced induction kits for these V8's that'll give you 400kw for around 5-6k, but your on your own with the above.......

bornwild
31st October 2007, 10:17 AM
Oh yeah this SS version has factory warranty, no dramas there :)

This is the only American car I wish FordAU would import. :D

oneightoo
31st October 2007, 10:18 AM
Yep, some of the better ones which come with a warranty and emissions compliance certificate etc. so that it's all legal and you can get insurance etc. (albeit at a monstrous cost - $6000 p/a quoted to me for a TT Munro)

You can get forced induction kits for these V8's that'll give you 400kw for around 5-6k, but your on your own with the above.......

still a difference of $20k.. i'd chance it..

Wraith
31st October 2007, 10:59 AM
Oh yeah this SS version has factory warranty, no dramas there :)

This is the only American car I wish FordAU would import. :D

They might, if HSV ever decide to bring in the Corvette !!!

That ones been on the cards for years, I even spotted a test mule once about 4 years ago !!!

I think the possible future addition of the VE Coupe may have altered the plan to bring in the Corvette......

Wraith
31st October 2007, 11:01 AM
still a difference of $20k.. i'd chance it..

Fair enough, but if you crash, your on your own with both yours and the other person's repair bill, could be ALOT more than that 20k difference :eek:

If I were to do it, I'd wait, save up and do it properly......peace of mind goes a long way ;)

Apex
31st October 2007, 11:35 AM
Might sound like a stupid question....what the heck is a live rear?

Just for you :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_axle

Ishley
31st October 2007, 12:34 PM
I happened to see a GT500 on the M1 last Friday plates were GALLUP....

HELL F*CKING NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lucky female driver behind the wheel. Im pretty sure in one second my dad (in his mind) sold the Magna, Maloo, Triton, house and his soul to purchase one of these.

He rang Performax who bring in the likes of Corvette's and Mustangs to do the ocnversions on them to ask how many $$..... it was something around the $120,000 mark!

bornwild
31st October 2007, 01:01 PM
Oh dear....only in America, ey...

How does that affect comfort?

bornwild
31st October 2007, 01:20 PM
Man, I'm in love with this car. :iloveyou:

My dream car collection so far:
-Mustang '69 GT500 aka Eleanor
-Mustang '08 GT500SS
-Ferrari 430 Scuderia
-Nissan GTR32
-Merc CL65
-BMW M3

xplosv57
31st October 2007, 03:56 PM
You can already purchase current model Mustangs from a Mustang importer/dealer here in Vic!!!! Not sure about the GT500SS, but most of the Stang and Saleen products can be bought new!!

bornwild
31st October 2007, 04:00 PM
You can already purchase current model Mustangs from a Mustang importer/dealer here in Vic!!!! Not sure about the GT500SS, but most of the Stang and Saleen products can be bought new!!

Do you know any rough prices? Are they in the stellar $100k+ range?:D

Wraith
31st October 2007, 04:01 PM
I happened to see a GT500 on the M1 last Friday plates were GALLUP....

HELL F*CKING NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lucky female driver behind the wheel. Im pretty sure in one second my dad (in his mind) sold the Magna, Maloo, Triton, house and his soul to purchase one of these.

He rang Performax who bring in the likes of Corvette's and Mustangs to do the ocnversions on them to ask how many $$..... it was something around the $120,000 mark!

The latest model Corvette will set you back well over 200k !!!!

Not sure if it's the same mob as listed above, but they are located in Queensland, where they bring em in and convert them over to RHD and do all the compliancing...

For 200k+ you all know what I'd rather purchase and what I'd do with the change :D

Wraith
31st October 2007, 04:03 PM
Do you know any rough prices? Are they in the stellar $100k+ range?:D

Wouldn't take long to find out, but I can guarantee you, any Saleen will cost a fortune ;)

bornwild
31st October 2007, 04:07 PM
Oh bugger the saleens....I'd like this Shelby GT500SS please :D

Wraith
31st October 2007, 04:15 PM
Oh bugger the saleens....I'd like this Shelby GT500SS please :D

Get one and I'm riding shotgun :D

CJB
31st October 2007, 05:52 PM
The latest model Corvette will set you back well over 200k !!!!

Not sure if it's the same mob as listed above, but they are located in Queensland, where they bring em in and convert them over to RHD and do all the compliancing...

For 200k+ you all know what I'd rather purchase and what I'd do with the change :D
Yep thats them.. They used to be called Corvette Queensland. They also import and convert: Hummers, Escalade's, Silverado's etc

sooty
31st October 2007, 06:32 PM
For starters don't the Vetts still run on rear leaf springs?
And as for the Mustang...go the Roush Mustang. Looks soooo much better than the Shelby, but, both look crap, cos they are fords :D
Only ford i'd be willing to be seen in is the GT X1

d.c.
31st October 2007, 07:18 PM
And as for the Mustang...go the Roush Mustang. Looks soooo much better than the Shelby

They have had both the Roush and Shelby GT500 on Top Gear and from memory due to its better (more expensive) suspension setup the Roush lapped quite a bit faster than the GT500 even though it had less power.
The GT500 did look like alot of fun though sliding and rolling all over the track.

poita
31st October 2007, 07:47 PM
they are still corvette qld, located in gympie
my favourite part of teh trip to brisbane, driving past and seeing wat goodies they in :)

maloo97
31st October 2007, 10:01 PM
I Saw one of these today getting a sound system put in it.

boo81
1st November 2007, 07:42 AM
Get one and I'm riding shotgun :D

Heck - I would ride in the boot of a car like this just for the opportunity to say I was in one! :D

boo81
1st November 2007, 08:13 AM
Thought I would share some pics of my step dad's toy... :D

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/benphelan_photos/100_12933.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/benphelan_photos/100_1273.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/benphelan_photos/000_0219.jpg

rjastra
1st November 2007, 09:38 AM
For starters don't the Vetts still run on rear leaf springs?

The Corvette uses transverse composite leaf springs. Wheel location is actually via SLA Double wishbones front and back

The Mustang GT500 (which the shelby is based on) is within USD4000 of the Corvette's base price. Think I would take a Corvette.

btm
1st November 2007, 09:48 AM
that's awesome boobie :)

bornwild
1st November 2007, 07:59 PM
boobie....how much did that set your old man back??

You know you could make it look like Eleanor with a few fiberglass add-ons :D

boo81
2nd November 2007, 07:49 AM
boobie....how much did that set your old man back??

You know you could make it look like Eleanor with a few fiberglass add-ons :D

LoL yeah that's what I thought too, but he has rebuilt it all from original or authentic gear and has been signed off my the Mustang association or something like that. As far as $$'s I dare say would have spent close to 100k all up on it. Pretty much everything is coming from the US, so yeah I would hate to know the actual figure!

btm
2nd November 2007, 09:24 AM
the top pic even looks like it was taken in the states cause the sign in the background says 'gas' (not petrol)

boo81
2nd November 2007, 09:25 AM
the top pic even looks like it was taken in the states cause the sign in the background says 'gas' (not petrol)

LoL Yeah it was taken out the front of the Glencoe servo/general store in Mt Gambier, SA :D

Wraith
2nd November 2007, 09:31 AM
Thought I would share some pics of my step dad's toy... :D

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/benphelan_photos/100_12933.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/benphelan_photos/100_1273.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/benphelan_photos/000_0219.jpg

Now that is simply BEAUTIFUL :clap:

btm
2nd November 2007, 09:39 AM
it is true that classics never die!

Wraith
2nd November 2007, 09:45 AM
I have a metal model of that exact same year/model Mustang in red I recieved as a pressy in the '70's and still have it like new - yes classics like that will never die for sure :)

btm
2nd November 2007, 09:49 AM
i have always wanted an old mustang for as long as i can remember... one day... one day :)

Wraith
2nd November 2007, 09:59 AM
i have always wanted an old mustang for as long as i can remember... one day... one day :)

You can do it, just set yourself a plan and before you know it, you'll be in a position to get one - people who arn't passionate or into cars always say it's a waste of money, but for people like us, the feeling of joy and satisfaction you get from it is priceless.......you only live once, go for it :)

boo81
2nd November 2007, 10:02 AM
You can do it, just set yourself a plan and before you know it, you'll be in a position to get one - people who arn't passionate or into cars always say it's a waste of money, but for people like us, the feeling of joy and satisfaction you get from it is priceless.......you only live once, go for it :)

And at the end of the day - it's only money....

The way I look at it is when I am on my death bed I want my last check to bounce! :)

btm
2nd November 2007, 10:06 AM
well i just bought a house on monday so money is goping to be a bit tight for the next couple of years...

but very true. you do only live one so why the **** not enjoy it :)

Wraith
2nd November 2007, 10:10 AM
well i just bought a house on monday so money is goping to be a bit tight for the next couple of years...

but very true. you do only live one so why the **** not enjoy it :)

Congratulations on the house, well done :clap:

This will eventually pave the way for you to buy a nice car in time ;)

Wraith
2nd November 2007, 10:11 AM
And at the end of the day - it's only money....

The way I look at it is when I am on my death bed I want my last check to bounce! :)

LOL good attitude, I like it......:D

Apex
2nd November 2007, 10:12 AM

I agree, it’s so hard for some people to fathom how car we car enthusiasts think!
My family and friends go nuts at me every time I buy a car or do a mod but its fine for them to spend thousands of dollars on their hobbies!

btm
2nd November 2007, 10:15 AM
Congratulations on the house, well done :clap:

This will eventually pave the way for you to buy a nice car in time ;)

thanks. that's my plan anyway... if you have the equity to borrow against... use it :rolleyes: ;)

boo81
2nd November 2007, 10:23 AM
I agree, it’s so hard for some people to fathom how car we car enthusiasts think!
My family and friends go nuts at me every time I buy a car or do a mod but its fine for them to spend thousands of dollars on their hobbies!

Ah see that's even if they are lucky enough to have hobbies!! too many people in this world lack passion, and balls to follow that passion - even if it's for simple things...

Wraith
2nd November 2007, 12:41 PM
Ah see that's even if they are lucky enough to have hobbies!! too many people in this world lack passion, and balls to follow that passion - even if it's for simple things...

Totally agree with the above.......this is indeed the case for the majority of stereo types out there.

btm
2nd November 2007, 02:35 PM
all i've been able to think about all day is an american muscle car...

bornwild
2nd November 2007, 02:40 PM
I'm your usual greenie, diesel good boy and man I want that GT500 badd......to make me feel a bit 'dirty' ooooooooooooooooo :D:D:D:D:D

btm
2nd November 2007, 02:53 PM
Ito make me feel a bit 'dirty' ooooooooooooooooo :D:D:D:D:D

that's rather disturbing :p

Wraith
2nd November 2007, 02:59 PM
all i've been able to think about all day is an american muscle car...

I think about the new GT-R and possible new VE Coupe, not only all day, but even when I'm at home with the missus :o :o

:D

btm
2nd November 2007, 03:00 PM
I think about the new GT-R and possible new VE Coupe, not only all day, but even when I'm at home with the missus :o :o

that's disturbing too!! :D

bornwild
2nd November 2007, 03:03 PM
We're Freaks! :D

Wraith
2nd November 2007, 03:08 PM
And loving it :dance:

btm
5th November 2007, 10:16 AM
hahah! each to their own!