PDA

View Full Version : NOT HAPPY, Insurance woes

DoomTrooper
21st June 2004, 03:16 PM
just found out i cant go past 6.5" wheel width, so my dreams of owning 17x7 just went out he window, now i ogtta get sum crappy rims, but hey i can get 19x6.5 according to NRMA insurance pity no one would ever make them

opel_calibra
21st June 2004, 03:20 PM
what insurance company is that with? im with "young and cool" and theres no limit on wheel size

kirssn
21st June 2004, 03:21 PM
who are you insured with?? my insurance company said provided my wheels are legal ie they are engineered, i can have whatever size i want and they will cover them.

i got this in writing too.

Jass
21st June 2004, 03:36 PM
Insurance troubles dont stop until you pass 25.

kirssn
21st June 2004, 03:38 PM
i'm only 23 and i have no probs with insurance or modifications whatsover......

opel_calibra
21st June 2004, 03:40 PM
thats coz your a girl :P
its a known fact that girls have lower insurance.. especially in the under 25 bracket.

kirssn
21st June 2004, 03:41 PM
lol.. no it's coz of what i do for a living.... thats the only reason otherwise i'd be in the same boat as you guys.....

Dee
21st June 2004, 03:56 PM
damn.... my only limit when i was getting bigger wheels was that they wernt more than 2" larger than stock.... and that they were less than $2,000.00....

and im only 19......

your getting ripped with NRMA...

DoomTrooper
21st June 2004, 06:32 PM
i'm with NRMA

Dee
21st June 2004, 06:38 PM
i know... thats why i said ur getting ripped with NRMA

DoomTrooper
21st June 2004, 07:10 PM
Who is everone with and how much does it cost, i'm 20 male 1.8l astra with exhaust and lowered

kirssn
21st June 2004, 07:18 PM
i'm 23 with an Astra SXi, insured for $28000 - i have a 70% NCB without the assistance of my parents... total premium is $794.

i am able to put whatever wheels on it i want - size wise - providing i have an engineers cert to say they're legal. i can lower it to what i want, provided it's again legal, do the exhaust and put the bodykit i've been looking at on it and i wont have any changes in cover or premium.

Mr T
21st June 2004, 07:26 PM
im 25 ( 24 when i got my policy) with NRMA Astra Turbo live in between Mt Druitt and St Marys lost my licence, only got 5 pts now, but have 65% NCB, value $43,000 (got a sunroof, amounst others) and pay $1,600, any mods are OK as long as they are not internals or Boost controlers.

exess states: $350, under 25: add $400, if me : add $1,000.

got me on the exess huh :bang:

Dee
21st June 2004, 07:26 PM
im 19, 03 Barina SXi insured for $18,000 with RACQ

only in my name - about $900 a year (got renewal the other day, went down $100) :)

i can use 30 modification points b4 my premium goes up...

my wheels were 5 points (leaving me with 25)
most mods (bodykit, exhaust) are around 10 points....

so i can do a fiar bit b4 my premiums go up.....

excess is $350 + $650 for under 25....

DoomTrooper
21st June 2004, 07:36 PM
damn, the nrma won't even let me pay more to get the wheels they just said that it voids the insurance

i pay bout $1500 a yr pls $1850 excess
but $1000 excess is due to my speeding fine

DoomTrooper
21st June 2004, 07:42 PM
Why must the NRMA be soooo cruel, all i ask for is an extra half an inch, god i hate them, insurance companies should burn in hell, and of cource i can't change my insurer half way can i without looseing money

Dee
21st June 2004, 07:43 PM
fark... NRMA are really screwing you royally

sparksy
21st June 2004, 10:21 PM
They have to refund your money for the portion of the policy you do not use.

kirssn
21st June 2004, 10:25 PM
They have to refund your money for the portion of the policy you do not use.

exactly. you get a pro rata refund from the day you cancel the policy to the date the policy is meant to cease.

this refund will normally be a pro rata base premium plus charges minus any administration fees charged.

frankie9fingers
21st June 2004, 11:02 PM
I'm 25, '02 Barina SRi, with RACV, paying $908.82.
They told me the same about the rims, can't go over 6.5"

freaktown
21st June 2004, 11:22 PM
you poor people :)

barina must come with 5.5 inch wheels then, bummer!

im lucky the vectra came standered with 6 inch so i can go up to 7 inch wide!

NUTTTR
22nd June 2004, 01:11 AM
Wha?
Someone's pulling ya pud!
I've got turbo mags, they are 17x7... no problems at all..... 7" wide nrma said it's fine, so long as 7" and not wider. I've got an SRi... :)

Jass
22nd June 2004, 07:41 AM
That might be the case with the 5 stud pattern on the 2.2 but what about the 1.8 astra's??

Mr T
22nd June 2004, 09:08 AM
I think the rule is 1" wider than normal, an N/A SRi has 6 1/2 from factory so up to 7 1/2 should be no worries, us lucky folk with SRi T should be able to go to 8" if we want. I think stud pattern doesn't play a part, 5 studs are only for those with ABS, you can get 5 studs on CD and CDX as well.

Vectracious
22nd June 2004, 09:23 AM
That might be the case with the 5 stud pattern on the 2.2 but what about the 1.8 astra's??

If you're 1.8 Astra has ABS and traction control, you get the same wheels as Vectra's which means you have a 6" wheel stock. I'm not sure if the 4 stud Astra's (no ABS or TC) have 6" or 5.5" wheels.

sunny
22nd June 2004, 10:35 AM
Why must the NRMA be soooo cruel, all i ask for is an extra half an inch, god i hate them, insurance companies should burn in hell, and of cource i can't change my insurer half way can i without looseing money

thats sucks huh

i am with NRMA too and had the same arguement with them no luck ... me having a barina is worse off as the largest i could go is 6" ....

after you mentioned i had a look around now and check this site out it estimates a couple of insurance quotes for you in one time

http://www.maa.nsw.gov.au/greenslips13prices.htm

if you found a good quote tell me as i am in the same boat as you being 20 and male

also from what i heard NRMA is quick and efficient in paying out after accidents etc

GAZ914
22nd June 2004, 02:05 PM
NRMA wouldn't let me have 7" wide rims, so changed to AAMI - was cheaper too!

macca
22nd June 2004, 02:13 PM
yer NRMA are shit they said the same to me! Im with aami now much better

painter
22nd June 2004, 03:14 PM
i dont say a hell of a lot in these forums
but i will say this, anybody who has insurance with NRMA will get stung by them. trust me i deal wif them every day and they will rip u off
they might be cheap but in the long run u will end up paying.

So my suggestion is to ring Shannons and get a quote ( 1300 139 006 )
as an owner of a panel shop i deal with all the insurance companys and shannons r the best for pay outs. they dont have a shit fit over the price of things.and they wont put secondhand parts on your 2003 model car LIKE NRMA DO.

PSS. STAY AWAY FROM NRMA they arn't very HELPful.

kirssn
22nd June 2004, 03:23 PM
NRMA wouldn't let me have 7" wide rims, so changed to AAMI - was cheaper too!

exactly.... AAMI have one of the most comprehenisve policies out there and if you work with them, ie are willing to make it 100% legal, they will work with you....

DoomTrooper
22nd June 2004, 09:26 PM
BUT, AAMI won't cover me cause i got my licence suspended and i'm 20, so there goes that option

NUTTTR
24th June 2004, 12:33 AM
I have 7" wide rims and that's the widest i can go with NRMA....
However, they do insure my car for an excessive amount (36K!) and AAMI will insure for 28 and won't cover the stereo... so there goes that option for me too!!!
I know the smash repairer i use and they insisted they couldn't get second hand parts! :D

I'm not sure tho, nrma are exxy, but have usually been good, but i have been told aami is better

ArdenBlue
24th June 2004, 01:09 AM
So my suggestion is to ring Shannons and get a quote ( 1300 139 006 )

I own an s15 Nissan 200sx as well as an Astra T. I called Shannons and waited on hold for 25 minutes. The recorded message on hold is Glenn Ridge telling me Shannons are car enthusiasts like you... blah blah blah. When I get through the clown on the other end doesn't even know what a 200sx is and tells me to try one of the mainstream insurers. Yeah you guys at Shannons really are enthusiasts. Not.

kirssn
24th June 2004, 07:22 AM
car enthuisaists for shannons........ you're more likely to find that they are into what we refer to as street machines, hot rods or vintage cars...... they are still only relatively new at getting into the so-called (i use this term lightly guys) rice market..

what you'll find is it's muchs easier for shannons insurer, vero and their re-insurer (who i cant remember atm - will check once i get to work) to p;lace cover for the street machines, hot rods and vintage cars because in effect, they have been apart of the modified car scene for so much longer.......

as for your 200sx.... unless youhave made some major mods, chances are they wont cover it anyways which sucks....... i have a very close friend who is managing a performance car workshop, one of thier company cars is a s15 200sx, it was factory with diff wheels. shannons woudlnt touch it until about 2 weeks ago - it's now twin turbo and they'll cover it coz it's a major mod.

go figure...........

(sorry for typos....... :( i'm a girl and i broke a nail so it sucks to type atm)

ArdenBlue
24th June 2004, 06:08 PM
kirssn, what you said is pretty much it, Shannons main market would be vintage etc. However, they advertise at the Bathurst 24 Hr (on the Monaro), where a few 200sx's were even in the race. Surely the market they are targeting with that sort of advertising is modern performance cars.

Typos forgiven - guys are so forgiving to woman on car forums for some reason, however lets hope the rice term was very very light :wink:.

kirssn
24th June 2004, 07:36 PM
kirssn, what you said is pretty much it, Shannons main market would be vintage etc. However, they advertise at the Bathurst 24 Hr (on the Monaro), where a few 200sx's were even in the race. Surely the market they are targeting with that sort of advertising is modern performance cars.

Typos forgiven - guys are so forgiving to woman on car forums for some reason, however lets hope the rice term was very very light :wink:.

lol.. thanks for forgiving me......... no typo's to be expected for a lil while after tonight ok.. breakage to be repaired in about 20 mins!!!

as for the term rice, yes, was used lightly, just think i could have said euro trash which is how my commodore buddies refer to my astra when i'm lazy and take the astra on a street commies cruise rather than my commie..

BACK ON TOPIC THOUGH... they are slowly breaking into the 'modern day' performance market.... its just progressively slow and like i said earlier, the re-insurers (insurer who insures the initial insurer) find that performance cars create alot of claims etc...

what you will find is that in time, you will get what you're after from Shannons simply and purely because Just Cars is beginning take over the performance car market in insurance - and they're not giving you guys the service or coverage you need!!!!!

i know this is gonna shit you all but seriously, give it time.... you've got no other option atm... if i had enough experience, i'd be out there running my own brokerage - working for you guys, placing your insurances instead of sitting behind a desk taking ordes from old farts!!!!

:)