PDA

View Full Version : Holden "Extended" Warranty

btm
30th October 2007, 03:06 PM
Just a general question...

Holden's 6 year extended warranty, was does it actually cover?

Does it cover everything the normal warranty would cover?

You need to get your car serviced every 6 months or 10,000 km after the 3 years normal warranty is up, right?

Any info would be helpful

Thanks in advance

SaInT
30th October 2007, 04:09 PM
was it a holden extended warrenty or a dealership extended warrenty.

i know my parents opted for extended on one of their cars and they could only get replacements done at that dealership. (Was toyota though)

btm
30th October 2007, 04:24 PM
good question... no idea if its a holden or dealership extended warranty...

Wraith
30th October 2007, 04:25 PM
From what I know from the 2 new Holdens I've purchased the extended 3 years warranty on top of the factory 3 years (total 6 years) is a dealer agreement at an additional cost and covers everything the factory warranty covered.

You then have to go back to the same dealer to have your car serviced/repaired throughout the entirity of that period for the warranty to be in place.

Also it is NOT transferable to a new owner if you sell the car, unlike the factory warranty which is transferable, if it hasn't expired yet....

MatsHolden
30th October 2007, 04:28 PM
Yep, it's a dealer thing.

SIMid
30th October 2007, 04:45 PM
Plus, if it's turbocharged, you need to take it back every 3 months or every 2500/3000kms (cant remember exactly) for a service. Could get quite costly.

EL BURITO
30th October 2007, 05:53 PM
Plus, if it's turbocharged, you need to take it back every 3 months or every 2500/3000kms (cant remember exactly) for a service. Could get quite costly.
were did those figures come from that is stupid

USC
30th October 2007, 06:19 PM
not worth it my friend...unless u plan on keeping the car for more than 3 years...dealer will get u to service at a crazy intervals to make their money...

Alix
30th October 2007, 08:04 PM

The dealer gave me the booklet when I bought my car (didn't have to pay extra for it). After reading it I didn't intend taking it up.

Here's what it says about servicing:
- has to be serviced by the selling dealer while under manufacturer's warranty
- must have six monthly/10000km services at the selling dealer after that (@ fixed $242/service)
- if diesel or turbocharged, must have three month/5000km oil changes, more frequently if operating under severe conditions. Severe conditions are not defined, nor is the increased frequency required. No price given for the additional oil changes.

I also noted that things like head gaskets are listed as exclusions, and the timing belt is not listed as covered, but timing chain is. (However, the timing belt is mentioned under maintenance item exclusions.)

In short, it looks to be a nice way for the dealership to lock you in for servicing for an extended time at relatively high pricing. Any benefits look questionable in view of the ongoing cost, since the big ticket possibilities are excluded.

WhiFi
30th October 2007, 08:14 PM
hey btm, i'm with wraith - went to a holden dealership recently to sus thi out.
The 'deal' on an astra at the moment was 15" alloys and 'free' extended 3yrs wty.

I was told by the sales guy that the ext wty covers everything the factory one covers, but the vehicle must be serviced at that same dealership for the full 6 yrs of the warranty. Not convinced myself. Yes would stick with a genuine dealer for factory warranty. (Cos if you dont, and something goes wrong, the manufacturer can claim the services were not completed to their rigorus standards as is done by dealerships. (Sure the apprentice does the oil change anyway - isn't that right?))

Dealers seem charge waaaaay too much for the basic things in servicing. (Someones gotta pay for the coffee machine in the service dept) but you gotta way up the risks v's the rip off.

Not a fan of it myself...

btm
31st October 2007, 08:47 AM
cheers fella's

it appears i do have the extended warranty as i have always had the car serviced at the place of purchase, but only if i want to bring her in every 6 months for a 'check-up' from now

not sure if its going to worth it considering every six months i do less than 5,000 kms

Wraith
31st October 2007, 09:12 AM
but you gotta way up the risks v's the rip off.

At the end of the day, with this topic, the simple question above is the one you need to ask yourself.......yes or no to that will determine which way you should go, will be a different decision for different people with different circumstances..... ;)

btm
31st October 2007, 09:25 AM
At the end of the day, with this topic, the simple question above is the one you need to ask yourself.......yes or no to that will determine which way you should go, will be a different decision for different people with different circumstances..... ;)

indeed, but as karma would have it... i know that as soon as i don't take it in for a 6 month 'check-up' a couple of weeks later the engine will blow up on me or something and it will not be under warranty :D

USC
31st October 2007, 10:01 AM
it has more chance blowing if u take it to the stealers more often...apprentices will be having fun learning on your car...

bornwild
31st October 2007, 10:06 AM
it has more chance blowing if u take it to the stealers more often...apprentices will be having fun learning on your car...

Yeah bad....BTM do you know how to service your car yourself?

btm
31st October 2007, 11:11 AM
Yeah bad....BTM do you know how to service your car yourself?

unfortunately not that talented

digifish
31st October 2007, 01:39 PM

Indeed I have the CDTI and it would be the same...it's quite silly. I would have no problem with 6 monthly standard servicing....but 3 monthly?

digifish.

btm
31st October 2007, 01:49 PM
3 months passes before you even know it... that's just ridiculos!

Gus
31st October 2007, 01:55 PM
I got something similar with my used '03 astra. It came from a third party thru the finance company, so everything gets billed back to them. Sounded good to me, Holden doesnt pay so they're not as tight about fixing whatever it covers.

digifish
31st October 2007, 02:18 PM
3 months passes before you even know it... that's just ridiculos!

I would prefer to have 6 monthy at a higher price than 3 monthly, it's just inconvenient...or pay $300 a year or something extra for the cover. My car is in getting its 12 month service at the moment, I will have a chat with the service manager when I pick the car up.

digifish

nadg63
7th November 2007, 05:34 PM
Well I'm glad I got the extended warranty for my 'G' SRiT - it just had to fork out for a new A/C compressor! (to be honest I had forgotten all about having it, it was thrown in when I bought the car - but I'm glad I did remember it before paying out money!)

btm
8th November 2007, 08:43 AM
so how often, after the first 3 years was up, do you have to take your car in for service?

Wraith
8th November 2007, 09:10 AM
unfortunately not that talented

You can at least 'try' to do all the simple things like change/top up the oil, oil filter, spark plugs, air filter, pollen filter, coolant, power steering/auto fluid etc. these are very very simple and not very time consuming to do and will save you heaps of $$$ compared to getting someone else to do it :)

You could go as far as learn how to change your own brake pads as well, most services, especially if the car is still low km will involve doing the above and nothing more....

Then you could take it in to the garage only for more comprehensive/difficult tasks only - even under warranty, you are still able to do all the above yourself, without any problem of voiding it and save on the costs of that portion of the service when you take it in, that's what I've done with all my cars :)

btm
8th November 2007, 09:28 AM
i think i'm going to give the extended warranty a miss anyway. every 6 months seems a bit ridiculos to me

Wraith
8th November 2007, 09:53 AM
i think i'm going to give the extended warranty a miss anyway. every 6 months seems a bit ridiculos to me

I think that's a good choice, when you consider the type of car you have, it's condition and all other associated factors ;)

You would probably seriously consider it with a much more expensive/complicated high po car, as there's more chance of something going wrong and being mega expensive to fix, so it would be more justified to have extended warranty, even at more regular intervals.

btm
8th November 2007, 10:02 AM
i dont think the km's that i do it justify a service every 6 months.

45,000 km's in almost 4.5 years... and most of those km's are either from snow trips, the trip i did to qld, or the trip i did through Vic and SA

she's lucky to do 100km/week!

digifish
8th November 2007, 10:05 AM
i dont think the km's that i do it justify a service every 6 months.

45,000 km's in almost 4.5 years... and most of those km's are either from snow trips, the trip i did to qld, or the trip i did through Vic and SA

What are those services going to cost? $250? So see it as a $500 insurance policy per year.

The turbos/diesels on the other hand work out to 3 month services...that *is* silly.

digifish

Wraith
8th November 2007, 10:09 AM
Hence, you've made a sensible decision regarding the extended warranty ;)

Your Astra is almost par with my vert in terms of usage, I've averaged around 4,500km per annum so far with it, luckily the other 25-30,000km I do each year is done with other cars, keep the sexy vert nice n new :)

btm
8th November 2007, 10:37 AM
What are those services going to cost? $250? So see it as a $500 insurance policy per year

yeah, closer to the $300 mark

MatsHolden
8th November 2007, 12:44 PM

Bloody hell!

btm
8th November 2007, 12:52 PM
soon to be doing even less when i move... tempting to sell it and just stick with the motorbike...

Wraith
8th November 2007, 01:08 PM
You'll always need the convenience of a car though, regardless of how much or little use it gets....motorbikes have only so much praticality :)

btm
8th November 2007, 01:15 PM
You'll always need the convenience of a car though, regardless of how much or little use it gets....motorbikes have only so much praticality :)

this is the only thing stopping me from selling her now.

would certianly miss the practicallity of a car

bornwild
8th November 2007, 01:20 PM
You need at least one car purely because we live in a land where the population density is very low and yeah....public transport ain't the best.

Wraith
8th November 2007, 01:22 PM
And because we're car enthusiasts, must have at least 1 car LOL :D

btm
8th November 2007, 01:27 PM
And because we're car enthusiasts, must have at least 1 car LOL :D

even more for others :rolleyes: :D

Wraith
8th November 2007, 01:29 PM
even more for others :rolleyes: :D

bwahahahahahahahaha :D

Yes the more the better, I wish I had dozens more :)

btm
8th November 2007, 01:31 PM
yes, a never ending supply of cash would be nice wraith!

Wraith
8th November 2007, 01:34 PM
It's not just the cash.........

You can have all the cash in the World, but if you don't have the interest or the passion, you won't spend a cent !!! ;)

btm
8th November 2007, 01:40 PM
true, but the cash certainly helps :p

bornwild
8th November 2007, 01:40 PM
First thing on my list if I had the cash would be a Radical SR8 :D

btm
8th November 2007, 01:46 PM
mine would be a yellow lambo

Wraith
8th November 2007, 01:49 PM
mine would be a yellow lambo

+1

But who could stop there..........

Lets see, 3 or 4 Ferraris, a Pagani Zonda and SL/R Roadster and yes an R35 GT-R for everyday LOL :D

Now back to reality :)

btm
8th November 2007, 01:56 PM
don't forget to throw in a mclaren f1 for good measure :)

bornwild
8th November 2007, 02:00 PM
A bit of Rolls Royce never killed anyone :)

btm
8th November 2007, 02:10 PM
A bit of Rolls Royce never killed anyone :)

:rolleyes: you were saying??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/83339.stm

Rolls-Royce factory explosion kills man

An explosion in the Rolls-Royce factory in Derby has left one man dead and four others injured.
Police said the dead man was an American national and his colleagues in the United States were contacting his family.

The accident occurred in the heat treatment shop at the plant on Nightingale Road, Derby, on Friday evening.

The injured were taken to Derbyshire Royal Infirmary. Their injuries are not believed to be serious.

Derbyshire Police said it had started an investigation into the explosion alongside the Health and Safety Executive.