PDA

View Full Version : Tips for the strip?

lampshade
28th October 2007, 02:35 PM
How many of you guys go to the 1/4 mile?

Kiri and I went to Calder on friday and had an awesome time only managed 2 runs as it was quite busy but were keen to go again in a couple of weeks. (Never seen so many 10sec cars in one place:dance: )

We've only ever been to the Pod to watch so it was a 1st for us and whilst the times were not what I would expect I think she done pretty well for her 1st time on the strip, and can see where improvement can be made.

So any tips for getting a better start off the line?

SKM_87
28th October 2007, 02:45 PM
practice, haha. work your way up with revs till you find a good one. don't drop the clutch super quick. the sudden shock just causes wheelspin. release it nice and smoothly.

R3N
28th October 2007, 02:46 PM
So what times did you guys end up getting?

Couple of tips are to reduce the pressure of your front tyres (FWD) for increased grip. Play around with the pressures to see what's best for you. If you want to make this a frequent thing, another tip is to start a log book and record the variables, ie. temp, pressure, launch revs, ET, reaction time, 60ft etc and you can compare runs.

Its alot about practice to get your times down, also trial and error, try it with TC on, and with it off, try different rev launches

lampshade
28th October 2007, 02:54 PM
Times were pretty poor TBH 14.752 and 15.102, not knowing much about the 1/4 I think it's all down to her take off (both 2.6 /60ft) think the terminal speed is about right as they were both over 160kph (is that good:confused: ) both runs were done with the TC turned on, it's a long way off I know but I think a low 14 and poss a v/high 13 is possable.

bornwild
28th October 2007, 02:59 PM
Turn TC off. Work the clutch nice and smooth and don't just drop it. Decrease tyre pressure to about 28ish psi. Warm the tyres up(which is gonna increase pressure a bit, possibly about 35psi). Other than that...quick gear changes especially from 1st to 2nd and you should have a nice run.

Also, if you're running an intercooler, spray some cold water on it. Won't help much but what the heck...

xplosv57
28th October 2007, 03:20 PM
Agree with above, turn T/C off, Calder is a very grippy track so you should'nt have too much worry about wheelspin with a high rev launch!!!

I'll possibly be running down the strip at Calder next friday, hope to see you there if you're going!!

CNBLU
28th October 2007, 03:20 PM
I would love to go to calder. you should have said something and we could of got a crowd to come down. im looking at going hopefully in jan as work should quieten down abit.

14.5 is not bad but with the power you have you should be looking at high 13's.

MatsHolden
28th October 2007, 03:22 PM

Kiri and I went to Calder on friday and had an awesome time only managed 2 runs as it was quite busy but were keen to go again in a couple of weeks. (Never seen so many 10sec cars in one place:dance: )

We've only ever been to the Pod to watch so it was a 1st for us and whilst the times were not what I would expect I think she done pretty well for her 1st time on the strip, and can see where improvement can be made.

Mate, I reccomend head out to Heathcote Park Raceway, most Sundays they have a Test n' Tune, about 50 bucks and you usually can get 10 runs absolute minimum! And it's a much more relaxed envirnoment too, so good to practice. It's a bit of a drive, but I think it's worth it.

CNBLU
28th October 2007, 03:28 PM
wheres heathcote?

xplosv57
28th October 2007, 03:29 PM
wheres heathcote?

Bit before Shepparton, well i remember it being on the way!! :D

MatsHolden
28th October 2007, 03:32 PM
Bit before Shepparton, well i remember it being on the way!! :D

Lol it's a fair way from Shep. About an hour and a half from Melbourne. South East of Bendigo.

CNBLU
28th October 2007, 03:36 PM
thats not that far....mmmm road trip boys????

ps. its about that far to calder anywayz:rolleyes:

MatsHolden
28th October 2007, 03:43 PM
thats not that far....mmmm road trip boys????

ps. its about that far to calder anywayz:rolleyes:

I mentioned it a while ago on Vic Opelaus and no one was interested. Only thing, you don't want to go on a stinking hot day.

lampshade
28th October 2007, 04:40 PM
Yeah the times aint nothing special but like I said for a 1st time it'll do, I have seen the same spec C/S Vxr do a 13.6 at the pod (less nm than Kiri's too ) so 13's should be attainable but it will take a long time for Kiri to get there if ever.

Might be an idea for us to get together for a Vic opelaus trip out there cant do sundays atm due to work but deffo up for a friday night out.

Got the team dynamic wheels arriving next week so we'll see how they do on the strip as there quite a bit lighter than the 19's.

SIMid
28th October 2007, 04:44 PM
BR has done a few runs and has even gone backwards in tyre sizes 17"s to get traction. As well as a smaller the overall diameter, the better the acceleration.

lampshade
28th October 2007, 04:52 PM
Smallest I can go is 18" due to the AP's (cant be arsed to put the std brakes back on LOL) but will deffo be looking at tyre pressure and seriously thinking about a cold water spray bar system as it's getting fuggin hot here now.

Reading the european forums, and there all going on about cold morning's and how there cars are performing so well makes me miss the U.K :(

SIMid
28th October 2007, 05:09 PM
seriously thinking about a cold water spray bar system as it's getting fuggin hot here now. :(

*LMAO*

You felt nothing yet mate! Wait till we hit a couple of 40s, THEN you can complain like I do!

mr corsa
28th October 2007, 05:44 PM
you should go to summer slam 07 on the 1st of DEC at heathcote

lampshade
28th October 2007, 06:04 PM
you should go to summer slam 07 on the 1st of DEC at heathcote

Give up some info m8 ;) , you have by far the quickest opel in Aus how about some tips on how to get times down in the 1/4 mile??

Here is the stat's to work on.......

R/T 1.334
60' 2.598
660' 9.725
KM/H 127.60
ET 14.758
KM/H 161.53

Pretty sure the key is in the 60 ft time:confused:

Apex
28th October 2007, 06:22 PM
Those times are shocking mate I was just as quick in my puss box :p get back out there! I really struggled with my Astra and found it a real pig off the line, I found mine quickest with traction control turned off and a cautious 4000rpm launch. Trial and error is the best way to learn though, give yourself 10 or so runs to find the cars sweet spot!

MatsHolden
28th October 2007, 06:28 PM
Also keep in mind all cars are different and as such require different inputs. You don't really want to be launching a rex at 4000rpm for instance...

bornwild
28th October 2007, 06:29 PM
BTW...what is it that you drive?

MatsHolden
28th October 2007, 06:29 PM

Drives a worked Vauxhall VXR... and yes Vauxhall, imported from the UK. V Nice.

bornwild
28th October 2007, 06:31 PM
Drives a worked Vauxhall VXR... and yes Vauxhall, imported from the UK. V Nice.

With 223kW.....bloody hell, nice. Is that at the wheels?

MatsHolden
28th October 2007, 06:33 PM
With 223kW.....bloody hell, nice. Is that at the wheels?
I'll let him tell you more about his beast. lol

bornwild
28th October 2007, 06:34 PM
I reckon he should be getting mid to high 13s fairly easy with that! :)

lampshade
28th October 2007, 06:34 PM

me xt Falcon on gas LOL (great car)
Kiri C/S stage 3 Vxr with A.P's

TTEETT, I aint got a problem with the times ATM to be honest, as the KM at ET is 100mph+ so I know the power is there for a quicker pass just want to get the start better, dont think a 4,000 rpm launch is advisable with Kiri's car as it's her daily driver and I dont want to replace the clutch just yet LOL;)

blueraven
28th October 2007, 09:29 PM
BR has done a few runs and has even gone backwards in tyre sizes 17"s to get traction. As well as a smaller the overall diameter, the better the acceleration.

same overall diameter, i went down a size for better rubber and cost of tyre...and for the strip you can let a little air out, tho i dont think it helped me much.

its all about the launch with fwd cars, my best so far is 13.9 with a 2.25 60ft time, if i get close to a 2.0 60ft, will be mid 13's...

OPC
28th October 2007, 11:35 PM
Give up some info m8 ;) , you have by far the quickest opel in Aus how about some tips on how to get times down in the 1/4 mile??

R/T 1.334
60' 2.598
660' 9.725
KM/H 127.60
ET 14.758
KM/H 161.53

yeah i wouldn't worry about the reaction time or about the car in the other lane

concentrate more on 60ft times

with so much power comin from the front id slip the clutch a tad and not flat stick in 1st and try and flat change 3rd to 4th thats what i did in the old car

Dave
29th October 2007, 04:39 AM
Tie a big bungy cord to a pole at the other end of the strip :cool:

Vectracious
29th October 2007, 03:32 PM
Another vote for Heathcote - much less busy....

And some very interesting cars going down the strip (I'll never forget an old Suzuki GTi which looked like it belonged on a tip and it ran a high 12!!!)

Vic OA cruise maybe? I remember you mentioned it Mat ages ago, but yeah, not much interest.....

MatsHolden
29th October 2007, 04:01 PM
Another vote for Heathcote - much less busy....

And some very interesting cars going down the strip (I'll never forget an old Suzuki GTi which looked like it belonged on a tip and it ran a high 12!!!)

Vic OA cruise maybe? I remember you mentioned it Mat ages ago, but yeah, not much interest.....

WE'll put it up again and see what happens. haha i know what you mean about some interesting things going down the strip... I saw a VK 5.0L going down the strip, running fairly good times in the 13's and then he took his exhaust off and ran 16's hahahaha. Then there was the red corolla that looked like he'd raided Reece plumbing for his intake piping, was a pretty tough beast surprisingly but one of the runs, pulled 2nd and bang! Transmission components all over the track.

mr corsa
29th October 2007, 08:20 PM
try putting on some load before you launch

Wraith
29th October 2007, 08:33 PM

Great stuff Lampshade, you must have been one of those noisy buggers I could hear from my place last Friday night LOL, I live in Taylors Lakes and when Calders on, it's very audible from where I live :)

Melb. sure does have it's fair share of 10 and sub 10sec cars, not just these days, but even almost 20 years ago, when I was out there racing regularly there were quite a few of us cracking 10's and 9's :D

In your case, you just need to run more and get more experience at it, your car certainly has the power/weight to run much better times ;)

If your really keen, you can actually hire the track all to yourself for a certain period of time during the week and get both yourself and the car all sorted, that's what what I used to do years ago :)

xplosv57
3rd November 2007, 09:58 AM
Just came back from Calder last night, you should've come down, not a big turnout, so I managed 10 runs, and could've done 10 more but thought i'd let the car cool down and watch the others in action!!!

R/T 1.334
60' 2.598
660' 9.725
KM/H 127.60
ET 14.758
KM/H 161.53

Everything except the 1/4 mile time look good there, especially the km/h is awfully fast, 60ft time maybe letting you down but a nice launch (with T/C off) and you'll easily crack a 13sec!!!

Good luck and get back out there!!! :D

SKM_87
3rd November 2007, 10:28 AM
with so much power comin from the front id slip the clutch a tad and not flat stick in 1st and try and flat change 3rd to 4th thats what i did in the old car
i would advise flat shifting in a street car. you will **** you gearbox, sychro's dont like it very much. even full race boxe's dont like it.

OPC
5th November 2007, 08:54 PM
i would advise flat shifting in a street car.
u would... excellent.. me too :)

SKM_87
5th November 2007, 09:22 PM
u would... excellent.. me too :)
hahha, i need a personal sub editor, lol

mr corsa
6th November 2007, 07:07 PM
flat change without using your clutch

bornwild
6th November 2007, 07:37 PM
flat change without using your clutch
lol:D

JohnBu
7th November 2007, 03:24 PM
Just came back from Calder last night, you should've come down, not a big turnout, so I managed 10 runs, and could've done 10 more but thought i'd let the car cool down and watch the others in action!!!

What times you end up getting Steve?

xplosv57
7th November 2007, 05:59 PM
Quickest was a 13.4, first time out at the drag strip so my launches were pretty shocking but with a good take off, should see that number go down a bit more!!!

Everyone was predicting mid 14's so i'm pretty happy with the result regardless!!!

blueraven
7th November 2007, 09:57 PM
Quickest was a 13.4

in your astra? christ i must be doing something seriously wrong :(

CNBLU
7th November 2007, 10:33 PM
in your astra? christ i must be doing something seriously wrong :(

VX Calais GenIII not an astra:D