PDA

View Full Version : We Might Be Getting The Corsa Vxr!!

MitchSRi
27th October 2007, 02:19 PM
Source: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=45024&vf=2&IsPgd=0 (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=45024&vf=2&IsPgd=0)

Grant says he wants an even cheaper model than the $42,990 [Astra] VXR to get people into the brand earlier.

“A sub-$40,000 car would be fantastic,” says Grant. “We’ve got the VXR, and there’s an opportunity to expand that type of product into the future.
“That ultra-light segment is booming at the moment. That end of the market is really on fire and we don’t compete in that area so we’d be crazy not to consider shoring up our business by offering products in that area.”

Grant offers the Corsa VXR – from the same Opel stable as the Astra VXR that is called simply VXR in Australia – as a prime HSV target.
The Corsa VXR is powered by a 141kW 1.6-litre turbo and is the performance variant of a light car that in its previous generation was sold here as a Barina before Holden switched to a rebadged Daewoo Kalos as a cheaper option.

“[The Corsa VXR] is an incredibly good product,” says Grant. “[The regular Corsa] isn’t sold here by Holden, so technical support, parts and service would need to be solely covered through [HSV]. None of that is impossible, but the costings have to be carefully thought through.”
Opel’s next-generation Vectra, due in 2008, is also on HSV’s "has potential" radar even though it’s unlikely to be imported by Holden. Grant also wants HSV to offer a rival for the Ford Territory-based F6 X from arch-rival Ford Performance Vehicles. HSV PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring out the Opel Vectra OPC :D

While at it, bring out the Corsa VXR.

If they don't its a pity Opel can't establish themselves as a seperate entity in Aus and bring out all the goodies the Holden softcocks don't think we want.

tuzinski
27th October 2007, 02:25 PM
YES we need a cheaper HSV to start off from.

if the corsa VXR does come, i will buy it for a next car!
i reckon its more sexier then the astra VXR!!!!

PaulyJ
27th October 2007, 04:25 PM
Black for me please...

reedaaron
27th October 2007, 04:51 PM
i'll take the silver or blue.. i think seeing one in the flesh would help decide :p

MK
27th October 2007, 04:55 PM
Red or white for us...

Calibrated
27th October 2007, 05:08 PM
one cruising the streets of cape town....
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i204/tattoo_the_planet/corsaD.jpg

Calibrated
27th October 2007, 05:09 PM
i will test drive one when i am back in SA :) oh, and their pricing in SA starts from around $20k equivalent. about $36k for the OPC.

poita
27th October 2007, 05:34 PM
i dont care what colour, would just be nice to see holden come to there senses and start bringing more Opels into aus

Calibrated
27th October 2007, 05:38 PM
i dont care what colour, would just be nice to see holden come to there senses and start bringing more Opels into aus
Ditto.

SaInT
27th October 2007, 07:43 PM
i want a limited edition colour, like silver / blue pearl combination, nothing to hard of course :P

bornwild
27th October 2007, 08:42 PM
Can we pre-order?

Calibrated
28th October 2007, 10:55 PM
Testing at Killarney Race Track in Cape Town..
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/Bustafatnutt/IMG_3160.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/Bustafatnutt/IMG_3158.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/Bustafatnutt/IMG_3156.jpg

MatsHolden
28th October 2007, 11:03 PM
Oh sucks to not get the full VXR kit in South Africa! Looks just like any other Corsa D.

Calibrated
28th October 2007, 11:06 PM
Oh sucks to not get the full VXR kit in South Africa! Looks just like any other Corsa D.
that is just the normal Corsa D...;)

the OPC is arriving end of November apparantly. @ R220 000. +- $36000

MatsHolden
28th October 2007, 11:09 PM
that is just the normal Corsa D...;)

the OPC is arriving end of November apparantly. @ R220 000. +- $36000

Oh when you said testing, I assumed you were saying it was your version of the VXR. I see VXR rims there however, or they look similar.

kabel
29th October 2007, 02:24 PM
This would be great to see in Oz!!

btm
29th October 2007, 02:28 PM
call me sceptic... but unfortunately i still cant see this happening

reedaaron
29th October 2007, 02:54 PM
we can all still dream can't we? ;)

btm
29th October 2007, 02:57 PM
we can all still dream can't we? ;)

absolutely... its what life is all about :D

Shaun
29th October 2007, 10:01 PM
As a VXR owner i would love to see the Corsa sitting in the range beside the VXR Astra. Its a BIG Gamble for HSV to do because as mentioned in the article the Support for Parts isnt here because Holden dont have the Base version in the range. The cost of bringing in an Intial stock holding will mean HSV need to put a huge investment into the Corsa VXR. Meaning they would need to market the car in a MASSIVE way.

I truely would love to see the Corsa VXR in the range. But i have a feeling she may just be alittle way off at this stage because of the Parts stock levels are non exsistant . But im hoping for HSV to add the Corsa VXR to the range.

Shaun

bornwild
29th October 2007, 10:07 PM
Yeah that'd be a gamble...wouldn't it.

Don't think Holden is ready for any big investments just yet, so soon after the release of the $1x10^9 baby.

aussie_in_london
29th October 2007, 10:24 PM
great not so little mini hot hatch, easy tho throw about and puts its power down nicely, as well as can be for a fwd car anyway.
Easy to tune, a simple software upgrade is seeing around 220bhp & 225lb/ft of torque and putting it into the astra VXR territory for performance with its kerb weight being some 200kg lighter, it is a great everyday car to live with and perfect for those living in the city

my wifes
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/aussie32/corsadetail040.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/aussie32/corsadetail029.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/aussie32/corsadetail056.jpg

as for the vectra replacement, the insignia VXR should be seeing the light of day around Aug 2009, over 300bhp with an awd system helping to get all that power down nicely, this is what my astra will be replaced with.

aussie_in_london
29th October 2007, 10:26 PM
I truely would love to see the Corsa VXR in the range. But i have a feeling she may just be alittle way off at this stage because of the Parts stock levels are non exsistant . But im hoping for HSV to add the Corsa VXR to the range.

Shaun

if Vxl can do it with the clubsport R8 rebadged as the VXR8, cant see it being a major issue for Holden/HSV.

wishbone
29th October 2007, 11:30 PM
i'll buy it if it ever came down here.. it'll be perfect car to have. city driving... beautiful.. :P

EL BURITO
30th October 2007, 12:40 AM
if Vxl can do it with the clubsport R8 rebadged as the VXR8, cant see it being a major issue for Holden/HSV.
but how many are they really selling in the UK.

Ok the main issue over there is the fuel cost, and ok the parts will still be a bitch to do either way.

Wat would the Corsa VXR go up against:
Polo GTI
XR4
Rally Art Colt

Ok that dose seem Holden is loosing out on there slice of the Pie
Clio Sport

Shaun
30th October 2007, 01:07 AM

True but the Demand for the VXR8 in the uk is alot higher then a Corsa VXR would be in the Australian Market. And remember Shane our Dollar is Weak against yours. I dont dispute it but i think its still a little while off before it hits out shores.

I want it to come . Thats for sure.

Calibrated
30th October 2007, 01:08 AM
but how many are they really selling in the UK.

Ok the main issue over there is the fuel cost, and ok the parts will still be a bitch to do either way.

Wat would the Corsa VXR go up against:
Polo GTI
XR4
Rally Art Colt

Ok that dose seem Holden is loosing out on there slice of the Pie
Clio Sport
Corsa>Clio>ST(XR4)>Colt>GTi

simple as that. holden or HSV NEED to bring this car.

aussie_in_london
30th October 2007, 03:54 AM
we are actually paying more over here for the clubsport than yourselves, numbers are approx 300 per year imported over 3 year, still to early to tell how popular the VXR8 is going to be plus we are now paying over a £ per litre for fuel so thats approx Aus $2.40 per litre.

rjastra
30th October 2007, 08:30 AM
You could always wait for the Punto Abarth SS. If I am not mistaken the Corsa and the Punto are loosely based on the same chassis.

oneightoo
30th October 2007, 10:04 AM
what would they call it?

we already have a HSV VXR, cant have another one...

they wouldnt call it the HSV Barina, cos well, it's not even near the same as our current Barina..

Would it be a HSV Corsa?

hmmm

btm
30th October 2007, 10:17 AM
i would assume 'HSV Corsa'

USC
30th October 2007, 11:01 AM
I would never buy a corsa vxr...its just wrong doing things to such a small car:p ..its meant to be cute...not aggressive.

btm
30th October 2007, 11:07 AM
i think i speak for most males on this forum... i do not want my car to look 'cute'

EL BURITO
30th October 2007, 11:10 AM
i think i speak for most males on this forum... i do not want my car to look 'cute'
I don't want a cute car. Its not like it is a VW lupo

Shaun
30th October 2007, 11:22 AM
I would never buy a corsa vxr...its just wrong doing things to such a small car:p ..its meant to be cute...not aggressive.

141kw out of a 1.6ltr SCREAMS Aggressive. They arent Cute by any means. The Corsa VXR / Corsa OPC are all about preformance. The Body kit was wind tunnel tested on the car to make sure it is holding the car on the road to its max capabilty.

That dose not define cute to me.

btm
30th October 2007, 11:36 AM
now this is a cute car :rolleyes:

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/948/automobiles85vn9.jpg

Wraith
30th October 2007, 12:59 PM
LOL, the pic of that Testarossa above, looks chopped not real though ?? hope it is fake :)

As for Corsa VXR I can see it happening - eventually, BUT I can never see a Vectra VXR coming down under, that ones a pipe dream for sure !!!

btm
30th October 2007, 01:02 PM
LOL, the pic of that Testarossa above, looks chopped not real though ?? hope it is fake :)

i am assuming/hoping its chopped too :)

USC
30th October 2007, 01:10 PM
a corsa can only look a little aggressive but it`s too small to scare anyone...despite it being fast may be....

If you were real aussie blokes, u would never buy corsa or astra....they are chicks` cars....vectra may be, but real male cars would be falcon GT, HSV GTS, Utes, etc

Wraith
30th October 2007, 01:18 PM
a corsa can only look a little aggressive but it`s too small to scare anyone...despite it being fast may be....

If you were real aussie blokes, u would never buy corsa or astra....they are chicks` cars....vectra may be, but real male cars would be falcon GT, HSV GTS, Utes, etc

Agree, except for the Astra - I think it still passes as a blokes car :)

As for the Falcon and Commodore bridgade, I love em too (ie; HSV's and SS Commos) prob is these are also the purchase choice of alot of boguns :(

poita
30th October 2007, 01:23 PM
yer but nothing beats a small hi-po 4 cyl blowing the doors of those commodores and falcons!

USC
30th October 2007, 01:30 PM
yer but nothing beats a small hi-po 4 cyl blowing the doors of those commodores and falcons!

why? does that make u feel more manly?

who cares..its still a small tiny car...im not bagging any corsa/barina drivers here but just saying that that small car will NEVER be as much fun to drive as a for example a Liberty GT, FPV, etc...therefore, it would be better for Holden to import vectra VXR`s instead.

btm
30th October 2007, 01:34 PM

unless its you sitting in the commo :p

btm
30th October 2007, 01:35 PM
therefore, it would be better for Holden to import vectra VXR`s instead.

but a VXR vectra (if they brought it out) would end up costing more than an SS commo

which one would you chose?

EL BURITO
30th October 2007, 02:37 PM

I hated my VS it was the biggest hunk of horse shit, Sorry but I do not see how harming the environment even more than can be avoided by driving around in a petrol powered penis extension would make me more of a man.

Its not the size that matters its how well you use it to do the job. Give me a front runner or AWD 4 potter any day, before i even consider to look at any thing bigger.

GreyRex
30th October 2007, 05:03 PM

Interesting, i'd have to disagree slightly. I reckon the mentality is slowing changing...

USC
30th October 2007, 09:12 PM
Interesting, i'd have to disagree slightly. I reckon the mentality is slowing changing...

then cute can be manly too.

poita
30th October 2007, 10:48 PM
why? does that make u feel more manly?

who cares..its still a small tiny car...im not bagging any corsa/barina drivers here but just saying that that small car will NEVER be as much fun to drive as a for example a Liberty GT, FPV, etc...therefore, it would be better for Holden to import vectra VXR`s instead.

no it doesnt make me feel more 'manly' to ahve a 4 cyl.
if i wanted to be more 'manly' i'd buy a HK GTS Monaro and put a big block in it with a lumpy cam so big the car rocks up and down a foot each side at idle.
i own a calibra, so its not exactly a small car, dam it weighs almost as much as a commodore!
yer teh Vectra VXR would be great here, but cost wise holden never will.
i think that would be too dear for the aussie market

aussie_in_london
30th October 2007, 10:49 PM
Vectra VXR is a very sedate drive in comparison to an astra VXR, I would almost go as far to say boring, even compared to the corsa, the torquey V6 is nice but the overall vectra VXR needs to be tuned to have any real fun with it, i drove 888's 340bhp vectra VXR and that was more like it but still didnt have the same fun factor as my 300bhp astra VXR.
Now the vectra VXR replacement (INSIGNIA VXR) im hoping will be a bit of a beast iwth its awd system plus it will be built from the ground up alongside its lesser brothers so wont be another after thought as is the vectra VXR.

USC
30th October 2007, 11:01 PM
Vectra VXR is a very sedate drive in comparison to an astra VXR, I would almost go as far to say boring, even compared to the corsa, the torquey V6 is nice but the overall vectra VXR needs to be tuned to have any real fun with it, i drove 888's 340bhp vectra VXR and that was more like it but still didnt have the same fun factor as my 300bhp astra VXR.
Now the vectra VXR replacement (INSIGNIA VXR) im hoping will be a bit of a beast iwth its awd system plus it will be built from the ground up alongside its lesser brothers so wont be another after thought as is the vectra VXR.

damn...the british get the best cars!!

MatsHolden
31st October 2007, 12:11 AM
If you're a real motoring enthusiast, you don't worry about fitting in to a stereotype group. If you need to drive a car to feel manly even if that car doesn't drive all that well, then well I guess I don't have to say much more.
I'd buy one of these in a shot. I love my Corsa, especially making 5.7L V8's slide off into the greenery whilst trying to keep up on the twisties. But I love my Commodores too, but i'm not scared off from the fact that a few boys in their bonds singlets and footy shorts think that their VS Commodores are the shit. Plus considering if the Corsa VXR came out here, it wouldn't have a link to the Barina at all so there goes the 'chicks car' stereo type.
I think most of us here drive Astras and Corsas because we can see through the perceptions, and see the car for what it is.

USC
31st October 2007, 12:48 AM
yeh, I agree...i dont think u guys got my point. someone here said the corsa is not cute...its aggressive and manly. that really pissed me off. does aggressive mean manly?

I dont care about commodores and falcons, I am NOT a fan anyways.

btm
31st October 2007, 08:34 AM
does aggressive mean manly?

no way, not in my books it doesn't

bornwild
31st October 2007, 09:23 AM
The corsa is a nice car, balanced for both genders. What's 'manly' anyway?

The corsa can be cute or aggressive or passive or friendly....whatever you want it to be.

CNBLU
31st October 2007, 09:25 AM
i think the corsa VXR is one smokin peice of machinery. yes you might think its cute cause its small but wave bye bye to it at the lights:D

USC
31st October 2007, 09:46 AM
i think the corsa VXR is one smokin peice of machinery. yes you might think its cute cause its small but wave bye bye to it at the lights:D (now thats manly)

that is a sexist comment....

CNBLU
31st October 2007, 09:51 AM
statement retracted.

btm
31st October 2007, 09:58 AM
its not sexist... its a generalisation

OPC
31st October 2007, 11:52 AM
its aggressive and manly. that really pissed me off. does aggressive mean manly?

ofcourse not... did you see MANLY play in the Grand Final ?
Yeah right they were anything but aggressive BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Red AH SRI T
1st November 2007, 06:26 PM
that small car will NEVER be as much fun to drive as a for example a Liberty GT, FPV, etc....

You've obviously never driven a RenaulSport Clio. I'd much rather drive one of these baby's than the Liberty or the FPV

does aggressive mean manly?

No. They are two totally different things. Duh

MatsHolden
1st November 2007, 08:32 PM
You've obviously never driven a RenaulSport Clio. I'd much rather drive one of these baby's than the Liberty or the FPV

Exactly. Small cars are often more fun than the larger more powerful cars on offer... So nimble.

USC
1st November 2007, 11:12 PM
A CLIOsport better than a liberty GT...mate...u r dreaming! I would MUCH rather have a sports luxury than a clio. each to their own.

EL BURITO
1st November 2007, 11:59 PM
I agree with the scooby Vs the French but i d see the point

(I just don't like the French)

GreyRex
2nd November 2007, 09:27 AM
A CLIOsport better than a liberty GT...mate...u r dreaming! I would MUCH rather have a sports luxury than a clio. each to their own.

He's not dreaming, because I agree with him. We have a Liberty Spec B manual and I have driven it many times. My mate had a Peugeot 206 GTi 180 and I had a Barina SRi with 17's and suspension mods. For me the nimbleness of the smaller cars wins EVERY SINGLE TIME. The obvious downside is that they're not 'cruisers'. For me, I didn't need that. Pros and cons for both...

USC
2nd November 2007, 09:48 AM
He's not dreaming, because I agree with him. We have a Liberty Spec B manual and I have driven it many times. My mate had a Peugeot 206 GTi 180 and I had a Barina SRi with 17's and suspension mods. For me the nimbleness of the smaller cars wins EVERY SINGLE TIME. The obvious downside is that they're not 'cruisers'. For me, I didn't need that. Pros and cons for both...

yep...thats up to the individual..i prefer a nice sports cruiser....

Red AH SRI T
2nd November 2007, 09:53 AM
I don't doubt the Liberty being a great car. But you hit the nail on the head. Its a sport cruiser whereas my example of the RenaultSport Clio is a much more focused sports car.

Kind like how i think the current AH SRi T is more of a sports cruiser than an all out sports model. But someone else may think otherwise.

GreyRex
2nd November 2007, 11:36 AM
I don't doubt the Liberty being a great car. But you hit the nail on the head. Its a sport cruiser whereas my example of the RenaultSport Clio is a much more focused sports car.

Kind like how i think the current AH SRi T is more of a sports cruiser than an all out sports model. But someone else may think otherwise.

No... you hit the nail on the head lol!! Totally agree

Red AH SRI T
19th December 2007, 08:37 PM
This complete **** wit walked into work yesterday and demanded to be able to take the Corsa VXR for a test drive because he saw it in a magazine saying it would go on sale here. This was after i told him on the phone that it wouldn't be on sale here unless HSV bought it here and there were no plans at this stage.

He looked like a crazy homeless man that you see sleeping in the church garden.

Enuff said.

Shaun
19th December 2007, 08:55 PM
This complete **** wit walked into work yesterday and demanded to be able to take the Corsa VXR for a test drive because he saw it in a magazine saying it would go on sale here. This was after i told him on the phone that it wouldn't be on sale here unless HSV bought it here and there were no plans at this stage.

He looked like a crazy homeless man that you see sleeping in the church garden.

Enuff said.

Ahh yep... says it all..

PaulyJ
20th December 2007, 12:24 AM
That was me...

Shaun
20th December 2007, 12:27 AM
That was me...

As said before... Enough said :-P

PaulyJ
20th December 2007, 12:32 AM
hahahaha

On a more serious note tho, what chances do you think we have of getting them here.
I had the thought of getting a letter and petition made up from OA and send it to HSV.
Just an idea.

Shaun
20th December 2007, 12:38 AM
hahahaha

On a more serious note tho, what chances do you think we have of getting them here.
I had the thought of getting a letter and petition made up from OA and send it to HSV.
Just an idea.

Hmm there is " Talk" about it. But if its happening i would say maybe 2009. I Too want to see the Corsa VXR In the range. I guess its just a matter of weather other or not its priced right. But its a Screamer from what the guys in the UK tell us.

EL BURITO
20th December 2007, 12:41 AM

come on then

immenotu
20th December 2007, 07:27 AM
...I had the thought of getting a letter and petition made up from OA and send it to HSV.
Just an idea.

I think this is worth a shot, cant hurt. This may have been coincidence but a coupla years back I sent an email to HSV telling them their website looked like crap (at the time it was hopeless) and about 2 weeks later they had a whole new website! As I said may be coincidence but you never know.

Red AH SRI T
20th December 2007, 07:38 AM
i'd sign a petition, if one was available i would definatley upgrade the SRiT to one. As it is I'm looking at the RenaultSport Clio when that thing finally comes out next year. I just don't know if I'm willing to risk buying a Renault

aussie_in_london
21st December 2007, 01:14 AM
i'd sign a petition, if one was available i would definatley upgrade the SRiT to one. As it is I'm looking at the RenaultSport Clio when that thing finally comes out next year. I just don't know if I'm willing to risk buying a Renault

the clio 197 isnt a bad liitle car, cant quiet match it with the 182 and many say is a bit of a let down in comparison, ride is a bit harsh but suited well for track but the power in the corsa especially the torque leaves it behind and much more tunable, both score much the same by all the mags but the corsa is a more user friendly everyday hot hatch where as the clio can be a bit of work.