PDA

View Full Version : convertible part:info on backseat windscreen thingy

hedwig
25th October 2007, 11:54 AM
hi guys
sorry about the newbie post
I own a convertible and yesturday saw the same model wiz past with what looked like a plate over the backseat section with a wind screen standing up at right angles.

I would love to know what they are called or where I could get my grubby claws on this item.

also great website, almost fell over when i saw the body kit on the site logo..
OMG got some reading to do.

thanks in advance

entice
25th October 2007, 12:08 PM
take a look in your boot.

Just under the "ceiling" of teh boot there ill ne this mesh thingy in there.

2 spring clips fasten it to the side trims of the boot.

RTM to see how to use it

(PS.. this is for teh TS series)

btm
25th October 2007, 01:10 PM
welcome to the site too :)

Huhness
25th October 2007, 01:32 PM
I wish someone told me there was stuff in my car i didn't even know about.. I'm going to look for stuff tonight..

oneightoo
25th October 2007, 03:29 PM
I wish someone told me there was stuff in my car i didn't even know about.. I'm going to look for stuff tonight..

let us know how that goes :)

Huhness
25th October 2007, 03:31 PM
let us know how that goes :)
I was actually pretty stoked when i found the fuse box behind the thing i was putting my rubbish in..! Took me an hour (No Kidding) looking at the diagram and thinking.. "Nah thats the spot i put my rubbish!! No fuse box there!?":confused:

Then i found it BEHIND the spot i put my rubbish!!

Now its full of fuses!

InsaneAsylum
25th October 2007, 03:55 PM
are we talking abou the black mesh screen that sits behind the back seats that you see when the roof is down on the convertibles?

if so, what is it for? i see it all the time and i can't figure out why you would need it or put it there. i can only think that it's some sort of wind deflector so that your hair doesn't blow into your face and ruin your make up

btm
25th October 2007, 03:57 PM
i can only think that it's some sort of wind deflector so that your hair doesn't blow into your face and ruin your make up

and you experience this problem? :p

Red AH SRI T
25th October 2007, 04:26 PM
Yes, its a Wind Deflector. Standard on both TS and AH Astra convertibles and optional on XC Tigra.

hedwig
25th October 2007, 07:35 PM
wind deflector, yup thats what i'm after
http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i14/1451_9lo.jpg

entice : you made me run to my boot full of glee and beer.....but no mesh, and no new found deflector, but for a moment was happy lol still have my beer thou :boohoo:

thanks for the help people...
now reading thru rest of site , turbo's, mods, body kits...will need to rob a bank to pay for it all

stay tuned for more stoopid questions

all my best

entice
26th October 2007, 05:43 AM
If it's a TS astra (astra G) like in your image, then it had one as standard. It is usually a little hard to fing unless you know what you're looking for.

Take another look, it sits under the part where the roof folds into. you access is from inside the boot. if you run your hand under the top of the (deepest section) of the boot, you should feel the fabric of the deflector. If it isnt there, you'll feel cold hard metal. If it isnt there, a previous owner must have removed it...

Not to worry, in the 3 years of Astra convertible ownership, we used our one 3 times. It's a pain to set up for short trips, and really, if your doing a drive that long that you can justify using it, then perhaps you shouldnt have the roof down after all....

My MX5 also had a fold up wind deflector. That too was useless, but at least it was permanently fitted in cabin....

hedwig
26th October 2007, 11:26 AM
nah, mate its bare metal on the top of the boot directly below where the roof folds down..

twice you've made me run out to my car excited lol...

the way you have put it, the wind def. does sound a little usless. but I go up and down the F3 freeway every other day and I'm a messy bugger.most of my reciepts and papper work gets distributed between newcastle and sydney.thought it might help with that.....ok.ok i just want one.

now i am denied, after being so close I want it more than ever

spose there's fat chance of finding one at the wreckers or on ebay so will give holden a ring

thanks for everybodys help here..outstanding forum, and have answered everything i needed to know

**** edit : got a price from the holden dealer $1000.00 **** not as interested as i was yesturday lol

Wraith
26th October 2007, 12:41 PM
What Entice and Red AH Sri t have said is correct......

If it's not there - in the boot - then it's been removed/lost/missplaced etc. by the previous owner, I'm assuming your the 2nd or 3rd owner, as the car would've been either fitted with it standard from new (as were all turbo convertibles) or offered as an option, so therefore you would've at least known about it !

IMHO they do serve a very useful function for top down motoring, I use mine all the time and couldn't do without it, I suggest you definitely get one for yourself ;)

entice
26th October 2007, 12:48 PM
without re-negging on what I said earlier, i somewhat concure with wraith. They can be useful if you have teh roof down and the windows down (in my experience). If teh windows are up, then In my experience, the effect was negligible.

That said, in my opinion, a convertible is for wind in teh hair (or lack thereof) motoring.... The roof on the mx5 was almost permanently down, with the windows down.. if the parner (now wife) was in teh car, the windows had to be up.... This annoyed me to no end. The trend continued when we got her Convertible (wind deflector was standard).. if I was driving, roof down, windows down.. if she wa sin teh car, her window would be up, and the suggestion was made for mine to follow suit.

Lucky I'll have the spider on teh road soon... windows and roof both down!

MatsHolden
26th October 2007, 01:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHfEMM2O3t8

Funny, but shows how it works basically. Notice how the air flow returns into the cabin, the wind deflector reduces this.

nicecar
27th October 2007, 01:38 AM
I find it good for security as well.

When the car is parked with the hood down, I put the windows up as well as the wind break. If you tilt the front seats back a bit, it makes if hard to unclip the wind break and the car is much more enclosed.

Try it

Matt

imay
27th October 2007, 10:13 AM
they do serve a very useful function for top down motoring, I use mine all the time and couldn't do without it

Same here. It's permanently in place (most often in the fold-down position) as it helps dramatically reduce the "back-draft" at road speeds. I love the wind-in-the-hair experience, but find driving with the deflector down and covering the back seats a more comfortable ride. Then . . . when she-who-must-be-obeyed is in the car it simply clicks up into position and windows are in the mandatory raised position also. Mustn't ruffle the hallowed golden mane!

All TS convertibles in Australia had these deflectors as standard equipment. Optional in UK/Europe. There was a convertible wreck advertised on eBay some time back, so keep your eyes open and keep asking around at the larger wreckers in your city. You could be lucky. Otherwise, jump on to eBay.co.uk and see what's available there. Just make sure you check out the postage/cartage costs and ensure you are getting one in good condition. I believe the ratchet that holds it in the "up" position can become worn or snap and this renders it pretty well useless when this happens. Other than that, visit a metal fabrication place and see if they can't knock something up (will be expensive) it lightweight tubing and simply cover it with a dense shade cloth type material.
I would suggest that Holden's ridiculous (surprising, not!) price could be related to the item not being on their shelf and they may need to order it in from o/seas for you.

If you can, get one. It simply makes for more comfortable topless motoring. Good luck.