PDA

View Full Version : brakes squealing..

reedaaron
24th October 2007, 07:13 PM
My brakes have started squealing lately under reasonable load... light braking is fine, but if i start to brake a little bit harder (no harder than you would in normal driving) they start to squeal until i back off or brake even harder..

i've just replaced all 4 rotors and pads with RDA rotors and pads..

anybody know why they might squeal and is there a fix for it? or will it go away on its own?

USC
24th October 2007, 07:16 PM
My brakes have started squealing lately under reasonable load... light braking is fine, but if i start to brake a little bit harder (no harder than you would in normal driving) they start to squeal until i back off or brake even harder..

i've just replaced all 4 rotors and pads with RDA rotors and pads..

anybody know why they might squeal and is there a fix for it? or will it go away on its own?

hmm...put some paste in the backing plates....

MAD-16V
24th October 2007, 07:27 PM
I just put some DBA rotoes on the back of my astra - And they squeal like mad! - Once they heat up they are fine - But when you stop at a light for a while and they cool off a bit - They start to squeal again.

Ive tried everything short of putting a new set of softer pads in there ( Currently have bendix ceramics in there now ) .

xplosv57
24th October 2007, 07:45 PM
Try what USC said and lube the pads with brake paste, that's usually a big cause i see of brake squeal!!

Another cause could be the edge of the pad wearing into the disc, more a case when you replace pads but not the discs but you say you've replaced the discs too!!!

If the paste doesn't work, the solution to the 2nd cause is to 'chamfer' (file off) the edge of the pad!!

But try the paste first, usually fixes it!!

USC
24th October 2007, 08:45 PM
does it squeal when u brake or just when driving?
if when braking, spray brake cleaner everywhere and put the paste at the back of the pads. also, check if shims are not missing. holden should sell them 4 a couple of bucks.

bornwild
24th October 2007, 08:46 PM
Maybe you just need to brake them in if you've just bought them :)

SKM_87
24th October 2007, 09:11 PM
pull your pads out, put paste, copper anti seize, some form of soft setting sealant on the back. should do it.

reedaaron
24th October 2007, 09:37 PM
does it squeal when u brake or just when driving?
if when braking, spray brake cleaner everywhere and put the paste at the back of the pads. also, check if shims are not missing. holden should sell them 4 a couple of bucks.

only while braking...

Dee
24th October 2007, 09:38 PM
is it the front or the back?

could it be the slotted rotors causing extra friction and extra noise?

reedaaron
will try the paste when i get a chance.. maybe on the weekend..

reedaaron
hard to tell where the noise is coming from.. just know its my car...

USC
24th October 2007, 11:43 PM
try paste and check for missing shims or add shims...

gslrallysport
25th October 2007, 08:01 AM
is it the front or the back?

could it be the slotted rotors causing extra friction and extra noise?
na, 99.9% of ALL brake squeal has NOTHING to do with the rotors or pad material. Squeal is caused by a very high harmonic vibration between the backing plate of the pad, and the calliper itself.

As has been said, apply a thin payer of Loctite 3 (permatex) to the back of each pad, and you'll be laughing! ;)

The only noise that pad material or rotors can ever cause is sometimes a low speed (like <5km/hr) metal grinding noise depending on what compound the pad is...

reedaaron
25th October 2007, 08:14 AM
will look into it then.. and will make sure not to touch the brakes after i have the pads out cos the pistons in the rear calipers were bastards to get back in last time, even with a brake cube...

RobCDX
25th October 2007, 12:42 PM
apparently the brakes squeal if u ride on the brakes when slowing down. the pads actually become smooth and makes it hard to grip the rotor. i was told u just have to brake a lil harder to remove the smoothness and that should remove the squeal... it worked for me i pretty much brake closer where i need to stop rather than jump on the brakes lightly from a mile away.

reedaaron
25th October 2007, 01:50 PM
well they are new brakes too, so i wasn't planning on braking too hard for the first few hundred k's.. haven't done that much driving since i fitted them..

25th October 2007, 02:40 PM
hi guys just wondering if any one could give me a step by step on how to do the brake paste thing to my front brakes, i have a really really loud squeel coming from the front when i brake and brakesplus said i need to replace them with their "far superior" brake pads to fix them but i have a feeling they just want the money!..haha..so any info would be awesome, first of all wat is this brake paste? and when you say apply to th eback of the pad does that mean the surface that hits the discs or the other side that isnt?..i really have no idea when it comes to brakes, by can get my brother to help me out iwth is as he knows a bit more. So ye please help!..sorry to hijack ur thread but thought it may help you also..cheers

gslrallysport
25th October 2007, 04:48 PM
brakesplus said i need to replace them with their "far superior" brake pads to fix them
What a load of sh!t...

but i have a feeling they just want the money!
Yep...

first of all wat is this brake paste?
Permatex, or Loctite 3... same thing... or any other non-hardening sealant.. if you get stuck finding it let me know.

when you say apply to th eback of the pad does that mean the surface that hits the discs or the other side that isnt?
The other side... Brake squeal IS NOT from the pad rubbing on the disc. Put the paste of the side that presses into the caliper...

25th October 2007, 05:04 PM
ok so from what i understand i just take off the wheels, take out the pads - im assuming this isnt too hard? - and cover the back of the pad (the side that goes into the caliper) with loctite etc..how much should i put?? just a thin layer?? and then put them straight back in??

gslrallysport
25th October 2007, 05:17 PM
Yeah, but not the loctite you're probably thinkng off.. not thread loctite, its called Loctice 3, or permatex. Thick browny paste used on gaskets etc.

25th October 2007, 05:22 PM
awesome thanks buddy, hopefully this stuff isnt expensive as im very broke..haha appreciate ur help!

JasonGilholme
25th October 2007, 05:40 PM
gslrallysport to the rescue! haha

i agree with everything said in the thread re: lubeing the backing plates.

as for braking technique, i doubt it effects anything to do with braking sound.

I've had slotted rotors with ceramic pads on my CRX and they didn't make any noise at all (light or heavy load), and i've got a different compound on there now but i haven't used them yet haha.

also, with ceramic pads there isn't reallya need to run them in slowly. Your probably best off jumping on them hard to heat them up like they're made for. You only really need to slowly bed organic based pads.

The same deal goes with clutchs. Ceramic = quick as bed in time; organic = slower bed in tim.

reedaaron
25th October 2007, 06:08 PM
nfi what mine are.. probably organic.. ceramic woulda cost more by the sound of it :p
will wait a bit longer and see..only done about 400k's since i put em on.. didn't notice any noise on the way home tonight so yeah..

SKM_87
25th October 2007, 06:57 PM
did you bed your pads in?????

gsl, on da money, again.

MAD-16V
25th October 2007, 11:51 PM
http://mywebsite.bigpond.com/masterkiz/dbq.jpg

Directions: For best results, All steel backing plates should be clean before using this product.
1: Apply liberally to steel back of each outboard pad - Spread evenly over entire surface.

DO NOT APPLY THIS PRODUCT TO BRAKE LINING

2: Apply one applicator strip width to the length of the steel back of the inboard pad.

3: Allow product to set for 10 minutes ( Ok to install while still tacky )

-

So I will be trying some of this stuff in the next couple of days ( If its something this simple I will be very happy ) Results will be posted here.