PDA

View Full Version : Great Ocean Road Drive - advice needed

dieselhead
23rd October 2007, 05:04 PM
I decided to go on that gorgeous road for a drive, at the end of this week. I've got 3 days available for this, next Sunday to Tuesday. Day one I will be zipping to Melbourne/Geelong, from Adelaide. The other two days I'll be driving back to Adelaide, stopping for pictures, for visiting a few things and what not. I'm going alone, so there's going to be no nagging about stopping or going two fast. Just me, ma' diesel and that great stretch of road!

I've got 3 questions, hope you guys would help me out:
1. Where should I start my leisure drive? Any accommodation suggestions?
2. Where should I spend the night on my way back to Adelaide?
3. Is there any place that is a must see, other than the 12 Apostols?

Any suggestion will be much appreciated :)

Vectracious
23rd October 2007, 05:32 PM
GOR really only starts after Anglesea - before that its pretty boring, my favourite bit however is between Lorne and Apollo Bay. Also, plenty of places to stay in Lorne, Apollo Bay and Even Warrnambool, so figure out how many K's you want to do each day.

The must see is the road itself, 12 Apostles (11 now) is the main attraction I suppose...

Alix
23rd October 2007, 07:11 PM
You used to be able to get down the cliff to the beach at Loch Ard Gorge (10+ yrs ago - so might have changed, and my spelling is a guess). That was worth a photo stop when I did it. The museum nearby not so much.

Oh, and have you seen this news article (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/23/2067912.htm)? Diesel shortage in Victoria at the moment. Might want to keep an eye on the gauge and not wait until the last minute. (Although, there's a refinery at Geelong that is still running and produces diesel. That's a Shell if it makes any difference (Mobil refinery is the one with the problem).

xplosv57
23rd October 2007, 07:14 PM
Also the further you travel up the Great Ocean Road, the more expensive fuel gets, so fill up before you leave!!!

Lucky for you with the diesel, you'll be able to do the whole Great Ocean Road run there and back on less than 1 tank of juice!!!

Probably make it 1/2 way back to Adelaide on the same tank too!!!

Vectracious
23rd October 2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah, and hearing that clatter echo off the walls as your fanging it around!! :p ;) :D

EL BURITO
23rd October 2007, 11:16 PM
this may sound odd but i have done a few really long drives on my own. some over 2000km. take CD's along that talk to you like Billy Connery ect, is helpful after 2 hours of listening to music

dieselhead
23rd October 2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all these wise words guys!

Think I'll start from Torquay, in that area somewhere. Will spend the night in Warrnambool. Because I go alone, plans might change if I feel like it. Lovely!

Thanks Alix for the article. Hope that since I've got over 1,000 km range (you're right xplosv57, could do GOR twice on a tank!) fuel shouldn't be such an issue. But would you believe it, when I wanna go for a longer drive there's a bloody Diesel crisis! Nothing to stop me though :)

Vectracious, the clatter is not a problem, unless I drive at, um , 900 rpm. I am pretty sure that ain't going to happen, ha ha. Seriously, this engine is dead quiet when accelerating say 80-120 km/h. If anything, I'll hear that lovely turbine whistle with some help from that induction kit I fitted a few weeks ago.

El Burito, I don't have any Billy Connolly, but just got instead Steven's Colbert blockbuster "I Am America, and So Can You", the audio book version. The guy is simply mad!

btm
24th October 2007, 09:55 AM
stay in apollo bay. great pub on the water there with awesome pub grub (not to mention beers ;) )

btm
24th October 2007, 10:02 AM
also stop in at Port Fairy - great little town with a good bakery to stop at for morning/afternoon tea :)

sooty
24th October 2007, 02:18 PM
If you decided to stay in Warrnambool there's an awesome joint called bankor house...stayed there a few times and the place is schmick. (No idea of the price)

As for sights...if you're in warrnambool for the night and into nature sorta stuff go see the glow worms in the otways...the sheer number of them is amazing.

The blowhole is another good site and normally fairly quiet.

You'll spot them all as you're driving...all have big touristy "DRIVE THIS WAY!" signs
:D
Have a good drive

Black Nugget
25th October 2007, 02:37 PM
you can camp at apollo bay oval for free;) its pretty soft grass too!

don't forget bells beach!

btm
25th October 2007, 02:57 PM
don't forget bells beach!
over rated IMO

stop in the car park, have a look, then get back in the car and continue on your merry way to somewhere better

Black Nugget
25th October 2007, 02:59 PM
over rated IMO

stop in the car park, have a look, then get back in the car and continue on your merry way to somewhere better

yeh it is just a beach.. but its a nice break between the windy roads and the cliffs.

btm
25th October 2007, 03:01 PM
yeh it is just a beach.. but its a nice break between the windy roads and the cliffs.

although i dont think its helped that every time i have been there its been cold and/or raining :D

Black Nugget
25th October 2007, 03:03 PM
although i dont think its helped that every time i have been there its been cold and/or raining :D

gee thats unlucky.....what are the chances of getting crap weather in melbourne:D :D

btm
25th October 2007, 03:22 PM
gee thats unlucky.....what are the chances of getting crap weather in melbourne:D :D

who would have thought! :rolleyes:

Vectracious
25th October 2007, 04:49 PM
who would have thought! :rolleyes:

It keeps it interesting.

..... and Bells beach is overrated.... :rolleyes:

btm
25th October 2007, 04:50 PM
i must admit though... i do love melbourne, even with its weather

give me cold over warmth anyday!

Vectracious
25th October 2007, 04:56 PM
i must admit though... i do love melbourne, even with its weather

give me cold over warmth anyday!

better for my Turbo anyday!! :D

dieselhead
26th October 2007, 03:47 PM
OK, bookings now done. Will spend Sunday night in Geelong, drive all day on GOR Monday, sleep in Mount Barker, return in Adelaide Tuesday. Woooohooo!