PDA

View Full Version : Did you know this?

Geebs
19th October 2007, 02:00 PM
I guess it's a pointelss bit of info but I found something out today which I didnt know and on asking around, no one else knew!

Well the icon of a pump on a cars petrol gauge indicates which side of the car the petrol cap is. If the hose comes out of the right of the pump in the icon, your cap is on the right hand side of the car, and if the hose is on the left of the pump, your cap is on the left!!

blueraven
19th October 2007, 02:05 PM
cool......

Tfer
19th October 2007, 02:12 PM
Got that email twice too.

This may/may not be correct.... cannot tell, as on the Veccy C the fuel gauge is a half moon, with the straight side parallel to the horizon, and the fuel pump picture is at the bottom in the middle (and no, the Veccy C's fuel cap is not under the number plate ala Ford Falcon XD - XF) :rolleyes:

rjastra
19th October 2007, 02:14 PM
Well the icon of a pump on a cars petrol gauge indicates which side of the car the petrol cap is. If the hose comes out of the right of the pump in the icon, your cap is on the right hand side of the car, and if the hose is on the left of the pump, your cap is on the left!!

Where is the [rolls eyes] icon?

That is INCORRECT.

I am looking at a picture of the POntiac Soltice's gauges. Arrow points left (to cap) but icon has hose on right of pump. Yet the Pontiac G6 has the arrow pointing right and the hose coming out of the right side of the icon.

Toyota corolla has arrow pointing left by bowser pipe on right.

http://www.toyota.com.au/TWR/content/static/29343.jpg

oneightoo
19th October 2007, 02:31 PM
is that just the bowser symbol showing that gauge is for fuel? or is it the actual light for a near empty tank?

im asking this because the calibra has this..

GreyRex
19th October 2007, 02:40 PM
I guess it's a pointelss bit of info but I found something out today which I didnt know and on asking around, no one else knew!

Mate... too much time on your hands lol. Get back to work!!

Geebs
19th October 2007, 02:55 PM
No, it's not the position of the icon or the arrow, its what side the hose is coming out of the icon.....

The arrow is probably the light to indicate you need to get your ass to a servo hehehe

..and yes Ben, I think I need to find myself a job lol

bornwild
19th October 2007, 03:14 PM
That's gotta be the stupidest thing....if true

Wraith
19th October 2007, 03:41 PM
That's a nifty one Geebs, I for one didn't realise that :)

If it's indeed the case, it's very handy to know - don't think I've ever read that in any of the owners manuals from the many cars I've owned, it should be included in that literature for sure....

CNBLU
19th October 2007, 03:45 PM

i thought it was on the opposite side of the exhaust:confused:

GreyRex
19th October 2007, 03:54 PM
i thought it was on the opposite side of the exhaust:confused:

What if it's a dual exhaust Gav?:p

CNBLU
19th October 2007, 04:05 PM
lol:clap: nice one

digifish
19th October 2007, 04:17 PM

What if it's a jaguar XJ6?

http://vintagewriting.com/web09.JPG

GreyRex
19th October 2007, 04:20 PM
lol ok this thread is over... kidding

Wraith
19th October 2007, 04:24 PM
I too thought of the twin tank Jag when 1st reading this thread :)

Geebs
19th October 2007, 04:55 PM

...and mines in the middle lol

blueraven
19th October 2007, 05:25 PM
my toyota sportivo has the icon indicating the right hand side but its on the left :(

rjastra
19th October 2007, 06:32 PM
No, it's not the position of the icon or the arrow, its what side the hose is coming out of the icon.....

The arrow is probably the light to indicate you need to get your ass to a servo hehehe

The arrow points to the side the fuel flap is on... or is this too hard for you to believe?

I have just shown you two exceptions... therefore the theory you originally stated is incorrect.

stevedee3
19th October 2007, 06:50 PM
ISO 2575 probably indicates which way the symbol should be oriented... but I'm not willing to pay to find out...

Rhino
19th October 2007, 08:49 PM
It's bullshit and a complete coincidence if true.

Go and play outside. Get some sun.

digifish
19th October 2007, 09:48 PM
I too thought of the twin tank Jag when 1st reading this thread :)

I used to own a Series III XJ6...most comfortable ride I have ever owned...bought it for 18K in 1992, had it for 7 years, spent 22K keeping it on the road :) Fun times.

You all need to own a car like that just once in your life. ;)

digifish

Ginge
19th October 2007, 10:35 PM
old mini cooper s. centre exhaust and a tank in both quarters... only the word 'fuel' on the old smith guages

KID_SRi
20th October 2007, 01:26 AM
This where there the confusion is.

SIMid
20th October 2007, 02:56 PM
So the AH Fuel symbol is in the middle, should I be filling my Astra through the boot then?

KID_SRi
20th October 2007, 03:15 PM
It goes by which side the hose & Nozzle are pointing on the Bowzer.
If the Bowzer looks like its trying to Blow its Head off(Hose on Right with pointing @ the Bowzer) The filler is on the Right. If the Hose is on the Left and Pointing Away from the Bowzer, The Filler is on the Left.

But on my XY GT, It just Says "Fuel". No Picture, nothing.
So Do I put Firewood & Coal in it? ;)

SIMid
20th October 2007, 03:22 PM
It goes by which side the hose & Nozzle are pointing on the Bowzer.
If the Bowzer looks like its trying to Blow its Head off(Hose on Right with pointing @ the Bowzer) The filler is on the Right. If the Hose is on the Left and Pointing Away from the Bowzer, The Filler is on the Left.

Aaaaahhhh, got ya now. Hay Fever is making me delerious ATM. :p

KID_SRi
20th October 2007, 03:26 PM
Aaaaahhhh, got ya now. Hay Fever is making me delerious ATM. :p

Its all Good :)
I've had gastro, Been too scared to fart just in case I change the colour of my Boxers.

blueraven
21st October 2007, 12:59 AM
like i said, that does not work for my toyota camry..and probably doesnt work on any car that is available in right and left hand drive either (since they wont be making 2 different sets of dials.)

SIMid
21st October 2007, 08:36 AM
like i said, that does not work for my toyota camry..and probably doesnt work on any car that is available in right and left hand drive either (since they wont be making 2 different sets of dials.)

Hmmmm ..... but then, it wouldnt matter as the dials stay the same and the fuel cap stays where it is, unless they have separate body shells for specificate markets. Too expensive having 2 bodys with diffrenet fuel intake sides.

Vectracious
21st October 2007, 11:08 AM
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/Vectracious/Opelaus/rexfuel.jpg

The Impreza follows this, its also got a handy "FUEL DOOR" with an arrow to help the meat head WRX drivers...

Shaun
21st October 2007, 12:17 PM
That's gotta be the stupidest thing....if true

Its true. Most new cars have a little triangle that point to the Left or the right. Meaning which side the tank is on. All the Chrysler and Jeep products have the triange that point to the side the tank is on.

How do you get its stupid?? Please do tell us all with your wise wisdom !!!

Geebs
21st October 2007, 05:33 PM
I can't believe the commotion this post has caused :p

bornwild
21st October 2007, 06:50 PM
Its true. Most new cars have a little triangle that point to the Left or the right. Meaning which side the tank is on. All the Chrysler and Jeep products have the triange that point to the side the tank is on.

How do you get its stupid?? Please do tell us all with your wise wisdom !!!

Weren't they talking about 'which side the hose sticks out from on the icon'? I know about the arrow...but the other thing

Wraith
21st October 2007, 07:39 PM
So it looks like Geebs is correct, but on newer cars only yeh ???

Still think there should be some mention/explanation of it on the owners manual, as it seems most people are unaware of this.....

low astra
21st October 2007, 08:10 PM
All the Chrysler and Jeep products have the triange that point to the side the tank is on.

thats right my grand cherokee has a arrow that points to the left on its fuel guage, and the filler is on the left

now to get a tank of fuel for under $100

poita
21st October 2007, 08:11 PM
I can't believe the commotion this post has caused :p

yer has given me a good laugh!!

Calibrated
21st October 2007, 08:39 PM
I used to own a Series III XJ6...most comfortable ride I have ever owned...bought it for 18K in 1992, had it for 7 years, spent 22K keeping it on the road :) Fun times.

You all need to own a car like that just once in your life. ;)

digifish

i do..its callled a Calibra :D:D

oh wait..i have two of them now....:rolleyes:

rjastra
21st October 2007, 10:45 PM
As it's been said before... the orientation of the bowser symbol is not a standard.

Manufacturers commonly indicate which side the fuel flap is on by an arrow.

mazda mx5
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2007/Mazda/2007.mazda.mx-5%20miata.20098182-E.jpg

Camry
http://pics.omnux.com/al/QuickPics-200606/20060613085752_1.sized.jpg

taurus
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2008/Ford/2008.ford.taurus.20116745-E.jpg

Vectracious
21st October 2007, 11:13 PM
That taurus dash is ugly....

Wraith
22nd October 2007, 11:23 AM
The last dash is pretty :D

Makes sense, arrow points to where the filler is....will have to take not of this on cars I look at from now on :)

MatsHolden
22nd October 2007, 03:21 PM
The last dash is pretty :D

Makes sense, arrow points to where the filler is....will have to take not of this on cars I look at from now on :)

How hard can it be though to remember what side your fuel filler door is on? lol

btm
22nd October 2007, 03:39 PM
i received that email the other day too and thought it was pretty interesting...

but good point mat... its not that hard to remember on your own car, but helpful if driving a mates or hire car etc :)