PDA

View Full Version : iPod & Astra

gigijord
18th October 2007, 08:37 PM
I recently bought an MY7.5 AH Astra CDX and I'm wanting to hook up my ipod to the stereo system. The manual tells me that it is possible to hook up a hands free kit/phone to the stereo system. Do you think it possible to hook up an ipod using this input? What plug at the back of the stereo system would be needed? I have searched the internet for an answer and stumbled across this forum and hope you guys here might have any great ideas.

MatsHolden
18th October 2007, 11:34 PM
ChrisR would probably be able to help you with this.

MAD-16V
19th October 2007, 12:22 AM
The easiest way to get the ipods sound coming through your car stereo system would be to use an FM Modulator.

It's a little device that plugs into your cigarette lighter and into your ipod - Then you just tune your radio station to the right frequency and voila!

rjastra
19th October 2007, 09:39 AM
try

www.Connects2.com

FM modulator!!! heaven forbid, a horrid solution

Shaun
19th October 2007, 10:43 AM
I have sent an email to Blunkupt (Spelling) about this but they havent come back with a response. I believe we deal with them at work so i will be contacting them sometime next week.

From my understanding of it in some cases the buttonson the steering wheel may be able to be reprogramed to work with answering a phone etc. Only thing is as this is a CANBUS System as well it will require Tech 2 to enable them to be used for this function. Which leads to Tech 2 needing the software required. When i find out more ill get back to you.

gigijord
19th October 2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the replies.

FM modulator is last resort, until someone says it can't be done or costs you heaps to do.

Shaun - let me know how you go. Though I would be happy with just directly inputting the ipod and using ipod to control music. Steering wheel controls would be cool though (but sounds expensive).

I'll PM ChrisR to ask as well.

Shaun
19th October 2007, 09:46 PM
The wheel controls would be part of an I pod module. As the software would more then likely have the feature as standard.

entice
20th October 2007, 06:35 AM
for some reason, I thought that the 7.5's did come with an AUX input in teh audio.. Might pay to pull out the audio and take a peek behind...

or was that the ah8's ????

Shaun
20th October 2007, 12:01 PM
for some reason, I thought that the 7.5's did come with an AUX input in teh audio.. Might pay to pull out the audio and take a peek behind...

or was that the ah8's ????

8.0 come with the AUX Input Jacket.

gigijord
20th October 2007, 06:49 PM
Yeah - 8.0s have the aux input. 7.5 CDX has the phone input. I think i need to go talk to someone at a Strathfield car radio (or somewhere like that).

entice
20th October 2007, 07:06 PM
so where did everyone find out the details of the AH8?

Shaun
21st October 2007, 03:49 AM
Yeah - 8.0s have the aux input. 7.5 CDX has the phone input. I think i need to go talk to someone at a Strathfield car radio (or somewhere like that).

Dont waste your time with Strathfield car Radios. They wouldnt even know what CANBUS is. You are better off talking with Holden and the Blunkupt as they are the ones who know the product. The CANBUS Electronics used in the Astra AH is complex. Strathfield will only suggest to change the head unit to something else with IPOD capablitys. Which can be done but in my mind the is a complete waste considering you will only need a module and the software to be enabled by a holden dealer. Let me do some more investigation and i will come back to you. Its just taking some time at this stage.

Shaun

rjastra
21st October 2007, 10:48 PM
try these guys...
http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au/

Shaun
21st October 2007, 11:00 PM
Do you not read rjastra ?? The CDC40 as well as the CD30runs in conjunction with the CANBUS electronics. And will need a module and software to become ipod compatable. Meaning that its not a simple matter of plug in and play. CANBUS is complexed for a reason.

rjastra
22nd October 2007, 10:16 AM
Do you not read rjastra ?? The CDC40 as well as the CD30runs in conjunction with the CANBUS electronics. And will need a module and software to become ipod compatable. Meaning that its not a simple matter of plug in and play. CANBUS is complexed for a reason.

Funnily enough I have a Polo with CANBUS and got a MP3 adaptor to work with the stereo quite easily. ;) I think you overestimate the complexity of the issue.

Shaun
22nd October 2007, 12:00 PM
Funnily enough I have a Polo with CANBUS and got a MP3 adaptor to work with the stereo quite easily. ;) I think you overestimate the complexity of the issue.

Im not over estimating . I have done my research. There are different levels of CANBUS . And in an Astra AH they system is more complex. Hence why 8.0 has the AUX input as the software has been changed and a Module added.

gigijord
22nd October 2007, 08:40 PM
Dont waste your time with Strathfield car Radios. They wouldnt even know what CANBUS is.

Shaun

I don't know what CANBUS is! :dance:

I looked in the phone book today to see if there was a phone number to contact Blaupunkt - there isnt (in Melbourne at least). I rang one of the Blaupunkt authorised repairers to see if they could help me hook up my ipod. He said there was a module that you could purchase and then asked if it was an aftermarket stereo system or one from factory. I replied factory. He then said that Blaupunkt would not supply a module for a factory fitted system - only aftermarket systems. I didnt think this was going to be this hard!???!

entice
22nd October 2007, 08:43 PM
blaupunkt is located across the road from Bosch, in Clayton, Vic. McNaughton Rd

Try calling Bosch. Blaupunkt was (still is?) a Robert Bosch company....

Shaun
23rd October 2007, 12:02 AM
I don't know what CANBUS is! :dance:

I looked in the phone book today to see if there was a phone number to contact Blaupunkt - there isnt (in Melbourne at least). I rang one of the Blaupunkt authorised repairers to see if they could help me hook up my ipod. He said there was a module that you could purchase and then asked if it was an aftermarket stereo system or one from factory. I replied factory. He then said that Blaupunkt would not supply a module for a factory fitted system - only aftermarket systems. I didnt think this was going to be this hard!???!

CANBUS is the electroncs used in the AH Astra. Its the Electronics used in the car. Its a complex system that communicate between all modules fitted to the car. .

gigijord
23rd October 2007, 03:34 PM
OK

Just rang Blaupunkt (finding their number on the net) and they tell me that cannot connect an ipod to ah astra stereo system.

So I rang Holden Customer Assistance and they tell me that there are standard RCA Jacks in the back of the stereo system. "All I need to do is" take the unit out and connect a cable - one end 3.5mm plug for the ipod/2 x rca plugs. Exactly how easy I suspected it to be!

Looks like a visit to Holden dealer - they told me it couldnt be done (were they just being lazy - I can't believe noone else has done this before me).

patton
7th June 2008, 04:17 PM
Hey gijijord did you have any luck with this? from all ive read on this forum - ipod/mp3 player via AUX in an AH astra is no go.

Is it true about the RCA's on the back of the unit?
I wouldnt know where to start on pulling the dash apart.

OK

Just rang Blaupunkt (finding their number on the net) and they tell me that cannot connect an ipod to ah astra stereo system.

So I rang Holden Customer Assistance and they tell me that there are standard RCA Jacks in the back of the stereo system. "All I need to do is" take the unit out and connect a cable - one end 3.5mm plug for the ipod/2 x rca plugs. Exactly how easy I suspected it to be!

Looks like a visit to Holden dealer - they told me it couldnt be done (were they just being lazy - I can't believe noone else has done this before me).

bornwild
7th June 2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I'd be interested to know this too. :)

SIMid
7th June 2008, 05:48 PM
http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/iPod_Car_Kit/For_Factory_Fitted_Radios/Vauxhall_iPod_Car_Kit/Dension_Vauxhall_iPod_Car_Kit/Vauxhall_iPod_Ice_Link_Plus_Adapter

bornwild
7th June 2008, 05:55 PM
http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/iPod_Car_Kit/For_Factory_Fitted_Radios/Vauxhall_iPod_Car_Kit/Dension_Vauxhall_iPod_Car_Kit/Vauxhall_iPod_Ice_Link_Plus_Adapter

That's an FM transmitter...that'd be crap quality, got one of them already bahh

Black Nugget
7th June 2008, 06:21 PM

absolutely agree. I won a 145 won with "smartscan". still as crap as the rest.

when good the sound quality is awesome and good on long highways, but roundtown u get all the random interferences and community radios.

Also there is nowhere good to put it in the astra - centre console screws with the gear stick and on the seat.....well it dosen't stay there for long.

SIMid
7th June 2008, 11:24 PM

Well, only seeing what options there are if your not gonna be able to hardwire it.

Never said it was the solution. :rolleyes: **** some people need to take a chill pill sometimes.

Tigra
7th June 2008, 11:31 PM
Has anyone got one of these units in their Corsa/Barina SRi?

Do you know if its possible to use IPod with this unit.

Model number states: CD 30 MP3

SIMid
7th June 2008, 11:43 PM
Has anyone got one of these units in their Corsa/Barina SRi?

Do you know if its possible to use IPod with this unit.

Model number states: CD 30 MP3

Read on the pom site that if it's a Seims then yes. If it's a Blaukphant, then no. Thats with direct wiring from behind.

bornwild
7th June 2008, 11:49 PM
Well, only seeing what options there are if your not gonna be able to hardwire it.

Never said it was the solution. :rolleyes: **** some people need to take a chill pill sometimes.

Nah mate I didn't mean it in an attacking manner. Sorry if it came across like that mate :)

Tigra
7th June 2008, 11:50 PM
Read on the pom site that if it's a Seims then yes. If it's a Blaukphant, then no. Thats with direct wiring from behind.

SIM - Just looking over the Blaupunkt site now and found this information, http://www.blaupunkt.com/au/7607540500_main.asp on the iPOD interface cable.

http://www.blaupunkt.com/au/images_produkt/7607540500_21080.JPG

Looking over my Tigra manuals, it adopts the Blaupunkt system, so it may not work. I emailed them anyway, so we'll see how we go. But Im sure your right.

SIMid
7th June 2008, 11:53 PM
Nah mate I didn't mean it in an attacking manner. Sorry if it came across like that mate :)

I'm just tired. I bite easily when I'm tired. See? I cant even spell plough-funk. :p No harm done.

SIM - Just looking over the Blaupunkt site now and found this information, http://www.blaupunkt.com/au/7607540500_main.asp on the iPOD interface cable.

Looking over my Tigra manuals, it adopts the Blaupunkt system, so it may not work. I emailed them anyway, so we'll see how we go. But Im sure your right.

We can only hope Tigra. :confused:

I currently use the new Belkin one for my ipod, good enough for what I want and only used for long trips anyway. Mizled checked it out at the last meet.

http://www.gadgetboyz.net/review/Tunebase1.jpg
http://iphonenews.desinformado.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/belkin_tunecast_tunebase.jpg

Tigra
7th June 2008, 11:57 PM
We can only hope Tigra. :confused:

From the website:

Compatibility
"The interface is suited for Apple iPod and iPod Mini and can be connected
with all Blaupunkt car radios and navigation systems with CD changer
control (DMS) manufactured from 2001 onwards."

--------------------
You would assume that this means ALL radios manufactured by them. Keep you guys posted on the email reply.

bornwild
8th June 2008, 12:01 AM
From the website:

Compatibility

--------------------
You would assume that this means ALL radios manufactured by them. Keep you guys posted on the email reply.

Sweeet....if that's the case we're rescued!!! :D

Tigra
8th June 2008, 12:13 AM
Sweeet....if that's the case we're rescued!!! :D

Dont get hopes up. It does say CD Changer.....

This guy did it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBDtrpsD4Rg

bornwild
8th June 2008, 12:38 AM
Dont get hopes up. It does say CD Changer.....

This guy did it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBDtrpsD4Rg

Yeah I've got the CD40 in my car...the 6cd changer one :) :D

Red AH SRI T
9th June 2008, 02:08 PM

Actually its MY8.5's on that have the CDX with the AUX input. Although AUX was introduced on CD's during AH8. The only Astra's that now come with the CDC 40 Opera 6 stacker is the SRiT and TwinTop, all others have changed to the CDC 30 MP3 single CD with AUX input.

bornwild
9th June 2008, 08:17 PM
From the website:

Compatibility

--------------------

Any news mate?:)

Tigra
9th June 2008, 09:57 PM
Any news mate?:)

Not yet - There may be some delay due to the long weekend. As soon as I know, you'll know...

bornwild
16th June 2008, 03:52 PM
Those Blaupunktiens replied yet, mate?

:)

I'm eagerly hanging out for the answer to that question hihihi

tim_
23rd June 2008, 02:28 PM
so if you can do it with the CD changer stereo, could you just put one of them in? surely wouldn't be too expensive (<$1000) to get the astra 6 stacker and then that adaptery thing?

rjastra
23rd June 2008, 03:43 PM
Remember that the later model Astras have a MP3 compatible headunit.

A vastly cheaper option would be to make up compilation MP3 discs and use them in the headunit. 3 or 4 CDs kept in your car would give you alot of hours of music. Seems a bit silly to spend $100s just to connect a cheap MP3 player to your cars head unit.

The best option would be a USB connector. Load music onto a cheap USB key and have the head unit read from that. You don't have to lug an expensive ipod etc around.

tim_
23rd June 2008, 06:11 PM
i normally have my ipod with me anyway, and if i got a 160gb ipod for $450 or whatever they are, i could have nearly all my music in the car with me always.

Bosie
30th September 2017, 07:30 PM
Hi Tigra, Its been a while but did you ever solve this issue? I have the Blaupunkt 6CD changer system in my 2005 AH Astra CDXi. It's a is lovingly tended
car but I would love some kind of Aux input. Cheers

From the website:

Compatibility

--------------------