PDA

View Full Version : Pressure washers - You need one!

digifish
18th October 2007, 03:44 PM
I just had to write this in a PM so thought I'd put it here too...

I have one of these...

http://www.karcher.com.au/aus/Products/Private/Consumer_Outdoor/K2_High_pressure_washers/14006020.htm

I paid ~$190 (I think) at Bunnings. Actually in my experience these things can cost anywhere from $98 to $600 and they all work the same :) I'd be looking in the $100-250 price bracket.

Things to look out for...

1. Can suck water from a bucket (useful with the various water restrictions)

2. Don't get the uber-powerful models $400-600 price range, they are dangerous and will blow bits off your car.

Nice thing...after using one of these to rinse my car prior to washing there is no dirt left on it but the finest film of black dirt...so no scratching when you hit that with a sponge.

Fun and satisfying to use. I will never wash a car without one again! :)

BTW: I can now rinse my car with 1 bucket...these things make a little water go along way. 3 buckets (1 rinse, 2 soapy wash, 3 rinse)

digifish

Wraith
18th October 2007, 03:56 PM
I have one (not the one above) I purchased ages ago, when the water restrictions first started, but don't actually use it to wash the car, it serves well for other tasks.

IMO the pressure is too high for this job, one good rule to proper car washing and detailing is: don't be a Nazi with water pressure, it can cause more harm than good !!

Would come in handy for use under the car - SUV - maybe after going bush and coming back fiithy...

digifish
18th October 2007, 03:59 PM
I have one (not the one above) I purchased ages ago, when the water restrictions first started, but don't actually use it to wash the car, it serves well for other tasks.

IMO the pressure is too high for this job, one good rule to proper car washing and detailing is: don't be a Nazi with water pressure, it can cause more harm than good !!

Would come in handy for use under the car - SUV - maybe after going bush and coming back fiithy...

Two points...

1. The distance you spray from has a huge effect on the pressure...just back up a bit.

2. I noted the dangers of using the uber-powerful models. Good news, the cheaper ones are also less powerful.

digifish

InsaneAsylum
18th October 2007, 03:59 PM
unfortunately we can't even wash our car with our own urine in victoria

digifish
18th October 2007, 04:07 PM

So how do you keep your cars clean?

digifish

luvpsi
18th October 2007, 04:13 PM
So how do you keep your cars clean?

digifish

washing the car at night when all the neighbours are asleep like i sometimes do;)

digifish
18th October 2007, 04:15 PM
washing the car at night when all the neighbours are asleep like i sometimes do;)

I'd be washing mine in my garage :)

Q: Are people still allowed to install pools in Victoria?

digifish

blueraven
18th October 2007, 04:33 PM
be careful with these, i took the paint of an alloy once, learned fast to keep well back with them.

no problems here in WA, can wash car every day on the lawn and drive thru/to heaps of car washes :)

CNBLU
18th October 2007, 04:33 PM
yes but with pools you need a permit from the council $$$$;)

digifish
18th October 2007, 04:35 PM
yes but with pools you need a permit from the council $$$$;)

Hmmm...hey that car looks too clean, have you been breaking the law son? :cool:

digifish
18th October 2007, 04:37 PM
be careful with these, i took the paint of an alloy once, learned fast to keep well back with them.

I used mine first on my paving so learned to respect the power...been using it on my Asta for about a year now...no problems. You just don't get closer than about 40 cm.

digifish

R3N
18th October 2007, 04:51 PM
I just had to write this in a PM so thought I'd put it here too...

I have one of these...

http://www.karcher.com.au/aus/Products/Private/Consumer_Outdoor/K2_High_pressure_washers/14006020.htm

I paid ~$190 (I think) at Bunnings. Actually in my experience these things can cost anywhere from $98 to $600 and they all work the same :) I'd be looking in the $100-250 price bracket.

Things to look out for...

1. Can suck water from a bucket (useful with the various water restrictions)

2. Don't get the uber-powerful models $400-600 price range, they are dangerous and will blow bits off your car.

Nice thing...after using one of these to rinse my car prior to washing there is no dirt left on it but the finest film of black dirt...so no scratching when you hit that with a sponge.

Fun and satisfying to use. I will never wash a car without one again! :)

BTW: I can now rinse my car with 1 bucket...these things make a little water go along way. 3 buckets (1 rinse, 2 soapy wash, 3 rinse)

digifish

Just like to add:
3. Get one with an attachment that allows addition of car soap to the head. When you spray this on the car before going at it with the sponge, the suds will further dissolve any dirt or grime, thus having less chance of swirls appearing on your paint.

Wraith
18th October 2007, 04:51 PM

This is very true and why alot of car washing/detailing bibles reccommend against their use as I've already pointed out !

Unfortunately standaing back won't help much ! unless you get 50ft away LOL.

Even lower/cheaper models spit out over 1000psi - way too much for car washing duties...

If you have rubber seals, window/door joints, tail light, headlights etc. which are not 'good n proper', you risk getting water into them = rust, short circuts, fogging etc. etc.

If you don't be careful on your duco, the velocity and pressure of the water is enough to move dirt and other debris with enough force to cause scratches and or swirls.

But meh, each to their own, for me their not for car washing, unless it's a bomb or cleaning a very muddy undercarriage, even then I'd be very careful, might end up ripping off wiring connectors ;)

digifish
18th October 2007, 05:53 PM
This is very true and why alot of car washing/detailing bibles reccommend against their use as I've already pointed out !

Unfortunately standaing back won't help much ! unless you get 50ft away LOL.

But meh, each to their own

About the distance, if you have the spray-fan mode distance definitely does help. At about 2 meters it's little more than a wet wind.

Anyhow...if it's good enough for him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkli4tQ3kRs

digifish

low astra
18th October 2007, 05:54 PM
the cheap ones ( the under $200 ones) are generaly shit, lucky to push 150psi, and due to there nozel design not really a useable spray,

i had a karcher cost about $1500 it would rip paint off if you got to close, but came with all the undercar gear, the soap brush heads, basicly everything you needed, probablem i just found is that after about 10 years of use it has had a bit of corrsion appear throughout, so it was time to " upgrade"

bought a lavor wash, turns out its a piece of shit, my karcher acuatly qouted less preasure than the lavor, but in affect the karcher had over double,

if you going to get one its like everything you get what you pay for, if you dont intend to use it oftern or get anything really clean get the cheap one,

rent one from a hire mob, clean your driveway with a expensive one and look at the differance if you want proof for yourself

digifish
18th October 2007, 06:10 PM
the cheap ones ( the under $200 ones) are generaly shit, lucky to push 150psi,

i had a karcher cost about $1500 it would rip paint off if you got to close,

rent one from a hire mob, clean your driveway with a expensive one and look at the differance if you want proof for yourself

That's my point...you don't want the high-pressure industrial strength ones to clean your car. Mine is a Karcher and was bout $200, came with all the attachments, two nozzles spray and power-head, car brush etc. It's been perfect...the model is linked in my first post.

http://www.karcher.com.au/pimages/1400602.jpg

digifish

dieselhead
18th October 2007, 06:49 PM
i have been using a high pressure washer for about two years now. it is a $99 cheapo tool, that served me well so far. my only problem is that it won't suck water from a bucket, so with the bloody water restriction i can't use it. i mean i shouldn't, but hey, a man needs his car clean :) how stupid is that, according to the law, you can line up 50 buckets of water and wash your car, but can't use a high pressure cleaner that uses 2-3 buckets for the same job?! even at a commercial DIY wash you'd be using more water, because the flows are higher. some say that water there is all recycled. yeah, right...

the other day i saw a Karcher that would suck from whatever. a basic model, but that's all you need to wash your car 2-3 times a month IMHO. cost only $99, so it wouldn't break the bank. should i get one or just pretend my existing cleaner doesn't connect to a tap? :D

Alix
18th October 2007, 08:31 PM
I've got a Bosch pressure washer kit that does a fantastic job on my wife's car. I have no idea how good a job on my car, thanks to water restrictions banning it's use from even before I bought my car. No bucket-suck feature for me.

Other than that, it's a great kit - several different heads/sprays/brushes, long enough hose, detergent bottle, metal pump with auto-shutoff and all that. Cost about $200 as well, or would have if I hadn't accumulated a small pile of Bunnings vouchers...

Only washing allowed in the ACT is at carwashes. I reckon they do a terrible job. I blame the soap they use - it never gets the dirt off. I picked up the Bosch detergent when I bought the pressure washer and it really gets the car clean.

poita
18th October 2007, 08:36 PM
take your own sponge and buckets, just use there water ;)

MatsHolden
18th October 2007, 09:03 PM
Grey water or rain water tanks are your friends in Vic.

digifish
18th October 2007, 09:53 PM
i have been using a high pressure washer for about two years now. it is a $99 cheapo tool, that served me well so far. my only problem is that it won't suck water from a bucket, so with the bloody water restriction i can't use it.

Mine does suck from a bucket...however being the nerd that I am, I also built this rig, you should try it with yours?

http://www.digifishmusic.com/public/images/wash-rig.jpg

digifish

Alix
18th October 2007, 10:30 PM
Mine does suck from a bucket...however being the nerd that I am, I also built this rig, you should try it with yours?

digifish

I like ... a lot.

dieselhead
18th October 2007, 10:34 PM
don't think mine would word digifish... your Karcher knows how to suck, mine has an indicated minimum inlet pressure, so tough luck i guess.
but i like your OEM water system nevertheless :)

digifish
18th October 2007, 10:39 PM
don't think mine would word digifish... your Karcher knows how to suck, mine has an indicated minimum inlet pressure, so tough luck i guess.
but i like your OEM water system nevertheless :)

...so you need a taller bucket stand :)

You get 1 psi for every 0.701 m. What do you need? ...

bornwild
18th October 2007, 10:48 PM

hahahhahahahha so true!

bornwild
18th October 2007, 11:04 PM
...so you need a taller bucket stand :)

You get 1 psi for every 0.701 m. What do you need? ...

Get one of those Hospital stands with wheels at the bottom which they use for infusions :D...2meters of goodness :D

Orion_996
19th October 2007, 11:03 AM
Those things are great, especially here in QLD. I've got a cheapo $100 one, i think its GMC, it doesn't have a lot of pressure, which i don't mind, because i have a watertank and hook it up to that. It does a great great job, not too much pressure, just enough as if i had a hose to a normal tap, perfect amount. And i just love the looks i get from ppl driving by... lol, those damn water wasters :D

sooty
19th October 2007, 04:15 PM
Grey water or rain water tanks are your friends in Vic.

Exactly...just chuck a bucket in the shower and collect the water from that to wash your car :D Or get grey water diverters or rain water diverters...
All available from Bunnings...so buy buy buy :o

I only say this cos i work for bunnings...so the more you buy...the larger my bonus :D.

Spend up.