PDA

View Full Version : Couple of skidpan videos...

blueraven
18th October 2007, 01:01 AM
was my birthday not so long ago and i arranged for an MC day at one of our local tracks for a car club that i am with...

here are a couple of my runs....

http://teamintegrated.org/Ti/gallery/albums/mc07vids/nick_astra1.wmv
http://teamintegrated.org/Ti/gallery/albums/mc07vids/nick_astra2.wmv

and here is a run of me driving an EVO 9 for the first time....and the last time according to my mate :( haha. There is a story behind how/why i lost it, but i lost it nonetheless :( (aside from the story, i have never driven an awd car before, and considering their legendary grip status vs me being used to the astra..well see the shameful results.)

http://teamintegrated.org/Ti/gallery/albums/mc07vids/nick_evo.wmv

its so true about the slo motion thing when you have an accident..i would have sworn that slide took about 10 seconds, and that i sat on the grass for a minute! whole thing took 5 seconds.

JasonGilholme
18th October 2007, 08:02 AM
HAHA Should have kept the power down when it came unstuck and you would have been ok. Seems like you clutched in cause the car sounded like it was idleing half way through the spin.

Any other vids?? I think i saw an s2000 in the background.

Vectracious
18th October 2007, 08:24 AM
Nik, does the video stop when you start loosing it?

Good old AWD - its grip grip grip grip - absolutely no grip.. unless you keep the power down as Jason said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=led0zPKmVV4

Edit: don't think the youtube embed thing Noir did is working (probably because it was done on a Mac :p) - use this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=led0zPKmVV4

Basically had my foot to floor in second during this and didn't lift until it stopped sliding......

reedaaron
18th October 2007, 08:25 AM
bah @ work blocking youtube.. will have a look when i get home..

JasonGilholme
18th October 2007, 08:30 AM
HAHAHAH Holy shit!

That rear left tyre comes off the ground for ages!!!!!!!!!

Vectracious
18th October 2007, 08:35 AM
Just redownloaded Nik's evo video and saw the whole thing - yeah, power down all the way, it would have straightened out - but as you said, you hadn't driven AWD before.

Jason, when I pulled up, Pauly said the same thing (he was filming it - he's laughing in the background) and I'm like bullshit, but when we played it back on the TV that night, everyone was pissing themselves because the left rear cocked up so much.... admittedly I wasn't going for times on that run, more like "style points" :p

btm
18th October 2007, 09:10 AM
stuuupid work for not allowing access to those vids :mad:

digifish
18th October 2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks for uploading...nice and smooth...it's always more fun to do that sort of thing in someone elses car tho :)

OK so I can't help wondering is this 2 where you didn't spin off :)

About the evo, I thought they had all sorts of tricky ESP technology...turned it off eh?

digifish

JasonGilholme
18th October 2007, 09:45 AM
Just redownloaded Nik's evo video and saw the whole thing - yeah, power down all the way, it would have straightened out - but as you said, you hadn't driven AWD before.

Jason, when I pulled up, Pauly said the same thing (he was filming it - he's laughing in the background) and I'm like bullshit, but when we played it back on the TV that night, everyone was pissing themselves because the left rear cocked up so much.... admittedly I wasn't going for times on that run, more like "style points" :p

yeah those style point runs are always fun!!!! :clap: :clap: :cool:

CNBLU
18th October 2007, 10:25 AM
looks like ya had heaps of fun nik. how was the acceleration of the evo compared to your astra?

blueraven
18th October 2007, 10:56 AM
off the line obviously quicker, and when running mine is smoother, but i would say my astra is about the same speed (my mates evo has a few mods..exhaust/flash tune...about the same power as me so roughly same a speed on the road.) but the evo had a "punch" to it which was great, and oh the gearbox...so nice :)

round the few corners i was on during my evo run, it gripped better, but the whole thing was soooo different to the astra, i just didnt have time to get a feel for things. I physically couldnt get the rear of the astra to leg go (other than the occasional squeal) and obviously the evo's dynamics are completely different.

Looking at getting an evo when i sell the astra, but there area few things holding me back. I can afford to have a "special" astra, something unique and suprising to people...but to have a "special" evo? sheesh its commonplace to buy a brand new evo and thow 30k~ at it these days, and everyone expects you to be wickedly fast anyway. when i drive my astra it makes me happy what i have, she is so smooth, no rattles anywhere, goes like a rocket and is none too shabby round corners, look pretty nice too...but the evo is another world.

bornwild
18th October 2007, 11:31 AM
Man, your Astra goes like a bloody rocket:)

As for the Evo vid...ahahahhaahhhahahaha:p:p:p:p

Gotta keep the power down in a 4wd...the front wheels drive too and if you have opposite lock whilst the rear wheels get grip then you're gonna end up in a lotta grass:D

bornwild
18th October 2007, 11:34 AM
BTW, it didn't seem to me that the Evo was any quicker than the Astra. What times did you guys run?

MatsHolden
18th October 2007, 11:38 AM
BTW, it didn't seem to me that the Evo was any quicker than the Astra. What times did you guys run?

Or he wan't pushing as hard in someone elses car?

bornwild
18th October 2007, 12:01 PM
Or he was pushing as hard in someone elses car?

He pushed pretty hard on the straights:)

blueraven
18th October 2007, 12:43 PM
havent compared times to any of the awd cars yet, but i raped a flashed golf gti by 5 seconds and an integra type R by 6 seconds on that particular course. :) saying that (and it hurts to say it) the golf looked damn good on the track and managed more lift off oversteer than i could, looked like it didnt understeer much either...

wasnt pusing hard in the evo, but part of the story is i had an instructor in the car barking orders at me...you can see the result of him saying "punch it!!! - grab third!! " and me like a lemming at that point did so and lost it. Played it over in my head a million times, wish i could go back and just take it easy, as my mate was considering teaming up with me for the dutton rally next year, but my spin has put him off :( (i understand...but then he should kinda understand that i need lotsa time behind the wheel to get used to the car...that was the first time ever in his evo :( )

bornwild
18th October 2007, 12:48 PM
as my mate was considering teaming up with me for the dutton rally next year, but my spin has put him off :( (i understand...but then he should kinda understand that i need lotsa time behind the wheel to get used to the car...that was the first time ever in his evo :( )

That's unfair of him. If you can handle a 270hp at the wheels FWD then you can certainly handle an AWD much easier once you get used to it.

Let's start a petition for you!:p

blueraven
18th October 2007, 12:52 PM
Nah, if he wants to let me have a go thats up to him, if he had spun my astra i wouldnt have cared (he drove it too...said it felt slower and understeered heaps<-- not used to driving fwd).

realy wanna learn to drive an awd car, fwd is so much easier to control for me at the moment.

MatsHolden
18th October 2007, 12:53 PM
as my mate was considering teaming up with me for the dutton rally next year, but my spin has put him off :( (i understand...but then he should kinda understand that i need lotsa time behind the wheel to get used to the car...that was the first time ever in his evo :( )

It's motorsport... these things happen from time to time. He needs to have a long think about getting into tarmac rallys if he thinks incidents never happen. lol

bornwild
18th October 2007, 12:53 PM
All the best mate! :)

Though seriously,

Your Astra>>His Lancer:D:p

digifish
18th October 2007, 01:07 PM
wasnt pusing hard in the evo...Played it over in my head a million times, wish i could go back and just take it easy, as my mate was considering teaming up with me for the dutton rally next year, but my spin has put him off :( (i understand...but then he should kinda understand that i need lotsa time behind the wheel to get used to the car...that was the first time ever in his evo :( )

That's a bit silly, how can you learn how a car works unless you lose it a couple of times? If you don't have a relationship that can deal with you experimenting in what was at the end of the day a very gentle way, then you won't have a relationship that will deal with rallying. It shows a lack of maturity to change your mind on the basis of that incident.

digifish

R3N
18th October 2007, 01:14 PM
nice runs... cept for the evo one... how did you get them to open the 2nd skid pan? All the times I've went it was just the one... looked heaps more fun with the other one too

blueraven
18th October 2007, 01:31 PM
nice runs... cept for the evo one... how did you get them to open the 2nd skid pan? All the times I've went it was just the one... looked heaps more fun with the other one too

Pay them more money :D ($1550 for both pans for 4 hours /16 people = $97 each)

dbl skidpan sooo much better, allows for higher speeds and longer sweeping corners.

will be orgainsing the track next time :)

R3N
18th October 2007, 04:58 PM
I'd be interested in going for this:
http://www.dtec.com.au/mc-motorsport/tuning-arvo.htm

Probably going on the 30th of Nov, after exams and stuff. Anyone else wanna join me?

rusole21
19th October 2007, 01:24 PM
looks great nik!

im doin it on the 4th of nov

got the most bald tyres tho. haha

sooty
19th October 2007, 04:29 PM
...geez wish i could drive that well...

Rhino
19th October 2007, 08:55 PM
Nice understeer fag.

Should have bought a VXR

(Looks like I left too early)

Reaktion
19th October 2007, 10:42 PM
almost shit me pants seeing an astra move like that.

awesome stuff.

blueraven
20th October 2007, 02:11 AM
Nice understeer fag.

Should have bought a VXR

(Looks like I left too early)

hahah bite me bitch! was testing the grip levels of the new tyres ;)

(that and you just gotta spin up sometimes :D)