PDA

View Full Version : Annoying problem

macca
19th June 2004, 04:17 PM
basically i got this nice set of JL audios and ive wacked em in and they were working nice n sweet , but now when i turn the sound up i get a crackle tis horrid! but this only happens when the cars actually started and the engine going i can turn them up when the engine aint on but the power is and they work fine! im confused as to what the problem is ? :roll:

frankie9fingers
19th June 2004, 04:20 PM
earthing prob?

macca
19th June 2004, 04:43 PM
with wot tho?

anicorsa
19th June 2004, 04:52 PM
Check your earths, also, are you running your power cables next to the speaker wire?

sribear
19th June 2004, 05:10 PM
macca,

can you give a little more info on the system.
r u running an amp, original head unit, new head unit etc.

Usually a groung prob manifests itself in a hiss or whining noise. Sounds to me like your hitting a threshhold somewhere. i.e. a crossover point set wrong or maybe a gain level set too high.

more details will help???

macca
19th June 2004, 05:16 PM
yer they do actually
:oops:

macca
19th June 2004, 06:38 PM
sorry mate is JL audio components erm

apline headunit no amp no subs cross overs set properly i think! its not hard i mean! it only happens when the cars running! odd!

sribear
19th June 2004, 11:15 PM
The Alpine HU, is the ground connected to the ground wire in the standard wiring harness or directly to the chassis?
If your connected to the wiring harness, try connecting staight to the metal in the dash. Keep the wire as short as possible.

If this doesnt help, sometimes the chassis of the HU gets grounded through the metal harness its mounted in (shouldnt be the case but sometimes happens, this effectively gives the HU two grounds, which isnt good). Try wrapping the metal harness in plastic and remounting it. This should isolate the HU from any none wanted ground points.

sribear
19th June 2004, 11:21 PM
Sorry I have just re-read what I have posted and its sounds a little confusing to me.

Try removing the HU from the dash. Keep all wiring connected. Turn on the car and turn the music up, see if the "crackle" is gone. If this works, then the HU is grounding through the mounts. Isolate the mounting bracket from the metal on the car with plastic or electrical tape.

Hope this helps

macca
20th June 2004, 12:28 AM
yer but its odd that its only just started?