PDA

View Full Version : engine question: noise when rev is between 2750-3000

Blue Sri
19th June 2004, 10:13 AM
i am not a "know car" person, so can anyone answer my question:

my astra sri when the rev is between 2750-3000, the noise gets loud and become quiet past 3000 revs. is any one experiencing the same problem? And also, when the rev is 2750-3000, i feel the power is restricted (don't know whether this is the right word, but don't feel as powerful), but is fine >3000 revs.

any ideas? hope it is not a serious problem

thanks in advance
JC

OPL-20T
19th June 2004, 10:32 AM
maybe u have a leake in your exhaust and that is why u r getting that noise at them rev's as thats when u have the most pressure coming out of your engine in normal driving conditions.

i could be wrong :oops:

imay
19th June 2004, 10:38 AM
It's not induction noise, is it?
Do you have an aftermarket filter, or exhaust?

Have you tried turning the volume UP on the stereo? This sometimes helps!

Degen-Astra
19th June 2004, 10:48 AM
Have you tried turning the volume UP on the stereo? This sometimes helps!

Ah...that helped in my mates old Datsun Sunny many years ago. Until the engine decided not to work.

EAK33Y
19th June 2004, 12:38 PM
I do that all the time Music makes the Noise go away

gaero
19th June 2004, 03:58 PM
I've also got an issue in that rev range (2500-3000). something in the dash starts to vibrate but only in that range, before and after :twisted: its ok.

So far the stero is the only solution, worried if holden opens up the dash it won't fit back properly

BUT I dont have a 2.2l, only a 1.8l so it has to be something with the tuning or car dynamics

fob_sri
19th June 2004, 08:10 PM
Blue SRi, when I was looking for my car a few weeks ago, I found a silver SRi which had done only 4000km and it had exactly the noise you mention. Of the SRis that I have driven, (I test drove 6) it was the only one with that noise and with the other scrapes and scratches it was enough to kill the deal, and the price wasn't that good either.

Around 3k RPM some increased noise, sounded like in the exhaust area. I can't help you to fix it but at least one other SRi has had the same issue.

Blue Sri
20th June 2004, 10:15 PM
nope, no aftermarket filter or anything. My SRi is not modified at all. maybe i should talk to Holden service people. but i am afraid that will create more problem. Or maybe i'll just use the stereo solution. i can only hope my engine don't die on me soon.