PDA

View Full Version : Do you have enough power?

USC
16th October 2007, 11:40 AM
Hey Guys,

do you feel like you have enough power in your AH sri-t?? I think I am too used to it as I cant feel the difference between driving this and a normal aspirated car anymore!!

also, do u have a rubber block in the front suspensions? I noticed that the other day???

MatsHolden
16th October 2007, 11:43 AM
Sounds like you've still got the blocks in for transportation that should've been removed on the pre-delivery check.

oneightoo
16th October 2007, 11:49 AM
i never felt there was a HUGE difference in the astra turbo from my calibra.. theres a nsw member who'se turbo was only a nose ahead of my cali at a streetlight grand prix..

Tfer
16th October 2007, 11:51 AM
Don't know about the AH Astra SRi-T but I know my Veccy has long enough legs, and is deceptively quick :)

poita
16th October 2007, 11:52 AM
well if u like USC i'll take ur sri-t and u can have the cally :)

GreyRex
16th October 2007, 11:58 AM
Hey Guys,

do you feel like you have enough power in your AH sri-t?? I think I am too used to it as I cant feel the difference between driving this and a normal aspirated car anymore!!

also, do u have a rubber block in the front suspensions? I noticed that the other day???

Do I feel as though it has enough power? No. With just the normal mode on (not Sport) it does feel more naturally aspirated. Having not owned a turbo car before, it has taken a little getting used to. Even this morning, I was like come on come on, cuz I took a slower corner in third (instead of second) so had to wait for it to come on boost. Sport is better, with more noticeable shove. I also had the dealership i purchased the car from kindly leave a rubber transport block in the front suspension. Ended up taking it to a dealership I didn't like for them to help me get it out. Called first to see if they could help me out, as it was midday on a Saturday. The new car manager said sure, bring it down we'll sort it out. Get it down their and the absolute %@*&heads couldn't help me out at all. So i got all the jack and that out in the carpark of the holden dealer, jacked it all the way up and yanked it out myself.

RudeOne
16th October 2007, 12:00 PM
Does the sri have a sports button like the vxr that shortness the accelerator travel? that always makes for an interesting drive ;)

USC
16th October 2007, 12:02 PM
well if u like USC i'll take ur sri-t and u can have the cally :)
:D :D

she`s still sweet though ;)

oh regarding the rubber blocks, they are in the springs!!! on both sides of the front suspension! i tried removing them but they are really tight!! very hard to remove....hm...can anyone check their sri-t please? i dont wana wreck anything...

bloody hell, if they were supposed to be removed prior to delivery, Im gona be so pissed off with Holden...they REALLY SUCK!

USC
16th October 2007, 12:07 PM
yeh, I drive with the sports mode on ALL the time:D ..with it off, the car is very sluggish....hahaha

dman it! shouldnt they have removed the rubber blocks?? there was a sticker in the glove box when i bought it saying to remove them which I thought the dealer had done!

are they at the top of the springs and have big teeth that just go in between the springs? just wana make sure we are talking about the same thing.
i might get them to remove them at my next service if they dont come out.

apparently, they did a mechanical check prior to delivery...idiots....

GreyRex
16th October 2007, 12:12 PM
yeh, I drive with the sports mode on ALL the time:D ..with it off, the car is very sluggish....hahaha

dman it! shouldnt they have removed the rubber blocks?? there was a sticker in the glove box when i bought it saying to remove them which I thought the dealer had done!

are they at the top of the springs and have big teeth that just go in between the springs? just wana make sure we are talking about the same thing.
i might get them to remove them at my next service if they dont come out.

apparently, they did a mechanical check prior to delivery...idiots....

Yeah it's a black rubber block, maybe 12cms long by about 3cms wide from memory and it sits very snuggly in the spring. If it was me, I wouldn't be driving around with it in. If you are able to jack it up yourself with the kit in the boot, you'll be able to pull it out. Pain i know, but at least it's out.

Wraith
16th October 2007, 12:56 PM
Hey Guys,

I havn't driven, so can't comment on the AH Sri t but sounds like they're slugs compared to the TS Sri t.....even alot of mag reviews have said the same.

I have test driven the VXR and wasn't impressed, so maybe the lower power Sri t does need more guts :rolleyes:

As far as rubber blocks been left in there, that's disgraceful !! More shame to GMH......

How long have you been driving with them, hopefully no damage has been done, you must have noticed, the ride wasn't normal at all or car sitting a bit high ???

MatsHolden
16th October 2007, 01:30 PM
:D :D

she`s still sweet though ;)

oh regarding the rubber blocks, they are in the springs!!! on both sides of the front suspension! i tried removing them but they are really tight!! very hard to remove....hm...can anyone check their sri-t please? i dont wana wreck anything...

bloody hell, if they were supposed to be removed prior to delivery, Im gona be so pissed off with Holden...they REALLY SUCK!

It's a dealer thing mate, it's their responsibility to remove them. And yes they definately have to be removed.

blueraven
16th October 2007, 02:12 PM
Hey Guys,

do you feel like you have enough power in your sri-t??

Yes.

(the stock car has very smooth and early boost, which makes them feel slower than they really are.)

USC
16th October 2007, 03:08 PM
yeh, GMH is disgraceful...they should train their stealers to prepare the car properly. Ive been driving with those blocks since new!!! No wonder I couldnt notice any difference in stiffness of suspension when sports mode is on.

Most people wont know about those blocks...unless they are quite technical...

I m gona try remove them myself...im so lazy..cant be bothered getting the jack out...haha...

definitely wont be getting a holden again.

re: power ..i think the car still feels a bit heavy..:D...need a B4 engine in there...

bornwild
16th October 2007, 03:14 PM
Nah, step on it in 4th and see how it gets from 80 to 120.....quick ey

oneightoo
16th October 2007, 03:25 PM
even quicker in 3rd..

bornwild
16th October 2007, 03:26 PM
even quicker in 3rd..

4th is an internationally recognised standard :p:p

cbrmale
16th October 2007, 03:28 PM
I can't comment on the SRi-turbo as I haven't driven one, but I have driven other turbo cars and they generally have a sluggish feel at lower engine revs, with the extra performance becoming noticeable once you wind it up. Turbos have lower compression ratios than normally aspirated engines, so off-boost performance can be quite average.

My own car is a SRi 2.2, which is an interesting combination. The 2.2 is very smooth and very torquey with a sharp top-end if you want to go there. There is no doubt that you have a more powerful engine than a 1.8 under the bonnet. And push the sport button at your peril, 'cause the extra throttle response on top of all that torque can be awkward to manage.

As for the transportation blocks, I am sure that GMH have documented pre-delivery procedures for all Astra models. GMH cannot be held accountable if certain dealerships don't following procedure. Just make sure that the issue is raised with GMH, the new car survey forms are one way to do this.

blueraven
16th October 2007, 04:07 PM
with an sri-t you need to stay between 2.5 -5.5k to keep it in optimum power/torque...

Wraith
16th October 2007, 05:06 PM
Agree.

If she's stock, torque starts to drop off sharply after 4,500rpm, even with an agressive map, she'll happily rev to 6000rpm, but there's no point as the torque curve is way gone by then.

I've found on mine best and quickest performance is had in the 2500rpm bracket from 2,500 - 5,000rpm, I change all gears at max. 5,000rpm (even 4,500rpm produces good results) and it seems to be the quickest result.

On a heavily modified engine, the optimum rpm band will move up.

blueraven
16th October 2007, 06:26 PM
80-120 in 4th - just under 5 seconds...

80-120 in 3rd - under 4 seconds...

100-180 in top gear - 10 seconds...

Got midrange? :D

xplosv57
16th October 2007, 07:06 PM
This thread has been very helpful, was considering an AH SRi-T but if they're sluggish and slow, may have to look elsewhere...

And with regards to the suspension block, should've been taken out at pre delivery, but best thing to do is, take it out yourself then throw it at them at your next visit, those blocks are fun to throw around!!

poita
16th October 2007, 07:45 PM
im sure they have nice big glass windows out the front

CNBLU
16th October 2007, 07:57 PM
This thread has been very helpful, was considering an AH SRi-T but if they're sluggish and slow, may have to look elsewhere...

And with regards to the suspension block, should've been taken out at pre delivery, but best thing to do is, take it out yourself then throw it at them at your next visit, those blocks are fun to throw around!!

just wait till august and buy br's;)

aza28
16th October 2007, 08:18 PM
Hey Guys,

Don't have an AH SRi-T but I think we all feel the same at some point - hence why we all start MODIFYING!

SIMid
16th October 2007, 08:22 PM
Might feel sluggish when you get use to it, but I went for a cruise with a Golf GTi, 3 MPS and Civic Type R on the weekend and all I can say was the SRiT kept up with them, especially with the Golf and TypeR. MPS was a bit difficult along the straights.

But still, wouldnt mind a remap when the time comes! :p

digifish
16th October 2007, 08:35 PM

Don't be silly, drive one and see for yourself.

People around here say the CDTi is slow...while mine keeps trying to pull my face off :)

lampshade
16th October 2007, 08:51 PM

People around here say the CDTi is slow...while mine keeps trying to pull my face off :)

CDTI is an amazing bit of kit, honestly dont know why ppl knock them so much:confused:

bornwild
16th October 2007, 09:17 PM
CDTI is an amazing bit of kit, honestly dont know why ppl knock them so much:confused:

Quickest potential Astra around, if ya' ask me :)

USC
16th October 2007, 09:53 PM
I doubt that..the sriT would kill a CDTi any day....;)

... and leave the track clean behind....

...without the carbon suspended in the air everywhere....:p

Golf Gti and civic type R have pretty much the same horse power as the sriT. Mps is a different story...wonder if I should get a B4...haha..hm...twin turbo....

CNBLU
16th October 2007, 09:55 PM

please explain???

bornwild
16th October 2007, 09:56 PM
Let me rephrase that...'Potentially' the quickest Astra around :D

I had just wacked my head off the desk when I wrote that first one

xplosv57
16th October 2007, 10:47 PM

Agreed, am organising a drive soon of an AH, have driven a few modded TS SRi-T's before....

wonder if I should get a B4...haha..hm...twin turbo....

LOL well the B4 had nothing against a certain boat anchor commodore over the weekend, corners it would been better, but nothing in a straight line!!!

dieselhead
16th October 2007, 10:48 PM
nah, the diesel is slower than a VXR for sure. anything else, I mean AH Astras, bring'em on! :)
not talking here about cars with $15,000 worth of mods on. if you limit your modding budget to say $1,000, I can't see a petrol turbo being able to compete with the CDTi.
the SRi T is not too bad off the line, but when you start rolling at speeds over 80 km/h in the diesel faster. you guys should see how an 140-ish kW oiler accelerates in 4th or 5th with "sport" button on!

do I have enough power you may ask? well, I thought it's not too bad until I read about this bloody Alfa 147 JTD (pretty much same engine as mine) making over 180 kW and close to 500 Nm... now that would be just enough for an Astra IMHO

USC
16th October 2007, 11:05 PM
The diesel would have more torque...

digifish
16th October 2007, 11:09 PM
The diesel would have more torque...

Actually the 888 Astra CDTi is little more than a brake/suspension + wheel package + ecu remap and it keeps up with the VXR...evidence that the engine has what it takes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo987X-Au48

rjastra
16th October 2007, 11:14 PM
LOL well the B4 had nothing against a certain boat anchor commodore over the weekend, corners it would been better, but nothing in a straight line!!!

B4.. that's the one with a power/torque curve that looks like a roller coaster with a nice big dip in the midrange ;)

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i22/2218_3mg.jpg

Vectracious
16th October 2007, 11:15 PM

pfft - crap excuse

As for the AH SRiT - was lucky enough to punt one around the track when Vic members went to DECA earlier in the year, and was pretty surprised with what it felt like even with "only" 147kW. You just get used to the power that's all.... First time I launched the Rex I got a headspin, now its like meh - same old same old..

digifish
16th October 2007, 11:18 PM
... First time I launched the Rex I got a headspin, now its like meh - same old same old..

You will get used to anything.

I always note that my CDTi will pull in 3rd from 60-100, on the transition to an 80, zone quicker than my brain can react to the fact that I am 20 over the limit ... at the end of the day any moderatly quick car is almost impossible to enjoy legally around town.

digifish.

digifish
16th October 2007, 11:24 PM
B4.. that's the one with a power/torque curve that looks like a roller coaster with a nice big dip in the midrange ;)

Ummmmmmmmm......1200 Nm? ... something is wrong ...or very right :)

Vectracious
16th October 2007, 11:27 PM
Ummmmmmmmm......1200 Nm? ... something is wrong ...or very right :)

It's at the dyno rollers not the flywheel, I forget what you need to do to convert it....

bornwild
16th October 2007, 11:28 PM
Or very fake :D

USC
16th October 2007, 11:29 PM
Actually the 888 Astra CDTi is little more than a brake/suspension + wheel package + ecu remap and it keeps up with the VXR...evidence that the engine has what it takes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo987X-Au48

true..but if you do all that to an SriT, it would probably leave the diesel miles behind. Top speed in a petrol is always better than a diesel as it can have higher revs.

I agree diesels are pretty cool and I love the huge torque...

ps: the sriT can pull from 60-100 in 6th gear pretty quickly.

digifish
17th October 2007, 08:54 AM
true..but if you do all that to an SriT, it would probably leave the diesel miles behind. Top speed in a petrol is always better than a diesel as it can have higher revs.

I agree diesels are pretty cool and I love the huge torque...

ps: the sriT can pull from 60-100 in 6th gear pretty quickly.

Hang on...the VXR/OPC/HSV Astra *is* an SRi with 'all that' done - bigger turbo, remap etc....

The 888 is just a remap in the engine department.

digifish.

CNBLU
17th October 2007, 09:09 AM
if you limit your modding budget to say $1,000, I can't see a petrol turbo being able to compete with the CDTi.
the SRi T is not too bad off the line, but when you start rolling at speeds over 80 km/h in the diesel faster.

i would have to disagree....

ecu re-flash $400
Pre-cat replacment $350
Pod Filter $150

and change left over...

cant see the same mods going onto a CDTi with the same results.

blueraven
17th October 2007, 09:31 AM
I doubt that..the sriT would kill a CDTi any day....;)

YOu have no idea how wrong you are :) I agree that stock vs stock the cdti is the faster car on the road in a straight line, wont comment about handling, but i have seen how quick martins cdti is, and the gap between my cars performance and his stock car on the freeway is not as big as i had thought. i mean hell, all it takes for him to get 400nm of torque is a greenbox, look at all the shit i have done and 422nm.

oneightoo
17th October 2007, 09:43 AM

meh, thats easily fixed..

USC
17th October 2007, 10:17 AM
YOu have no idea how wrong you are :) I agree that stock vs stock the cdti is the faster car on the road in a straight line, wont comment about handling, but i have seen how quick martins cdti is, and the gap between my cars performance and his stock car on the freeway is not as big as i had thought. i mean hell, all it takes for him to get 400nm of torque is a greenbox, look at all the shit i have done and 422nm.

if the cdti was a faster car...it would sell for more than the sriT....
400nm would also tear his gear box quicker...

dieselhead
17th October 2007, 10:50 AM

you wanna know why the diesel is cheaper? 16" alloys, no leather and no climate control. and lesser stereo i think. all things equal i doubt the diesel would fetch less than a SRi Turbo.

Shaun
17th October 2007, 10:56 AM
USC its like anything. After awhile you become used to it and it feels slow. when you modd it it will feel quick for a while then you will be come used to it again and be thinking the same thing.

Shaun

dieselhead
17th October 2007, 10:57 AM
i would have to disagree....

ecu re-flash $400
Pre-cat replacment $350
Pod Filter $150

and change left over...

cant see the same mods going onto a CDTi with the same results.

$400 for re-flash? where can you get that?

The Ecu re-flash can be done on a CDTi, too. Let's just leave it out for this exercise...
After re-flash done or Green Box is installed you get about 30% more power and 25% more torque. If you want the engine to run smoother, get a Simota Carbon induction kit in for another $220, or a K&N panel filter for $100. That's all you need to do! Isn't that cheaper than modding a petrol turbo?

Can I ask, what is the power/torque output of a re-flashed SRi Turbo with few other mods within $1,000? Real figures on dyno, not legends, please...

digifish
17th October 2007, 11:07 AM

I don't think so...there is a big mental hump to get over for most people to switch to diesel....and for good reason, it's a very different driving experience to that which the average boy-racer is expecting...

digifish

Wraith
17th October 2007, 11:33 AM

Without taking into account the good or bad of turbo diesel vs turbo petrol, I think you'll find that the main reason why the Sri t outsells the CDTi is because of the car configuration - ie: 5 door vs 3 door !

I'm pretty certain in saying that if we had a CDTi 3 door AH, the turbo diesel sales would be on par or exceed the Sri t sales ;)

Wraith
17th October 2007, 11:44 AM
do I have enough power you may ask? well, I thought it's not too bad until I read about this bloody Alfa 147 JTD (pretty much same engine as mine) making over 180 kW and close to 500 Nm... now that would be just enough for an Astra IMHO

Now that's more like it......

Like I've said before, if you could get a decent car in the current hatch size market with a diesel making at least those figures above (200kw+ would be better and I'm sure they'll eventually get there) then I'm a convert and would consider an oiler :)

Only thing then, would be to find a fix for that awful black cloud that would be constantly following you around....

bornwild
17th October 2007, 12:08 PM
Where's this Alfa with 180kW...links??

Apex
17th October 2007, 12:20 PM
Hey Guys,

I had mine flashtuned and feel this has done a lot for performance. My "safe tune" has 142kw to 148kw at the wheels.

Have been round a few tracks and taken it down the drag strip and am impressed with the overall performance given a few minor mods.

dieselhead
17th October 2007, 12:20 PM
dig here:

http://forum.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25013&page=10

Wraith
17th October 2007, 12:40 PM
dig here:

http://forum.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25013&page=10

I'm assuming this Alfa has had a huge amount of modding/tuning done to it....

I'd rather something with those numbers from factory.

BTW did you notice Mr 'ABYSS''s 12,372 posts in less than 2 years :eek:

This guy needs to get a life LOL :)

dieselhead
17th October 2007, 12:42 PM
that IS his life! he's the guy running the DTUK business (CRD2 and Green Box products), amongst other things. he's a top lad, too!

haha, he's got 26 posts here, too: http://www.opelaus.com/forum/member.php?u=1885

Wraith
17th October 2007, 12:44 PM
Still, he must stay awake 24/7 and never leave his keyboard LOL :)

blueraven
17th October 2007, 12:48 PM

yeah because cost determines how fast a car is and vice versa ...

rusole21
17th October 2007, 12:52 PM
meh, thats easily fixed..
thats right. good tune will eliminate the valley of death. the new libs are awesome!!

i really like the new oilers!! suprisingly quick!! how much boost are they runnin does anyone know??

dieselhead
17th October 2007, 12:59 PM

OK then, start saving for the BMW 335d, 3.0 litre 6 cylinder twin-turbo 210 kW and 580 Nm torque from 1,750 rpm. I don't need to say it corners too. Will accelerate to 100 km/h in about 6 seconds... Despite its performance, it still does 37 mpg (combined cycle).
There you go.

oneightoo
17th October 2007, 01:07 PM
how long will i need to save for that one dieselhead? sounds horn!

bornwild
17th October 2007, 01:17 PM
how long will i need to save for that one dieselhead? sounds horn!

Start saving now for the next generation BMW335d(which will come out in about 6-7yrs) :D

luvpsi
17th October 2007, 01:19 PM
I had mine flashtuned and feel this has done a lot for performance. My "safe tune" has 142kw to 148kw at the wheels.

Have been round a few tracks and taken it down the drag strip and am impressed with the overall performance given a few minor mods.

thats a fair bit of power if your readings are correct but somehow I doubt them as there are people here with many more mods on their TS sri-t's and are only pulling around 140 fwkw and less:confused:

bornwild
17th October 2007, 01:20 PM

BTW did you notice Mr 'ABYSS''s 12,372 posts in less than 2 years :eek:

This guy needs to get a life LOL :)

Look at the car he drives!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I WANT IT!:D

bornwild
17th October 2007, 01:21 PM
thats a fair bit of power if your readings are correct but somehow I doubt them as there are people here with many more mods on their TS sri-t's and are only pulling around 140 fwkw and less:confused:

He should be getting around ~200kW at the flywheel.

dieselhead
17th October 2007, 01:21 PM
Start saving now for the next generation BMW335d(which will come out in about 6-7yrs) :D

335d is already on the market in Europe. Bloody hell, they're even getting to be a 635d version soon! Not sure about our chances though, it seems our diesel juice standard is not where it should be yet... There's some hope though...

bornwild
17th October 2007, 01:27 PM
335d is already on the market in Europe. Bloody hell, they're even getting to be a 635d version soon! Not sure about our chances though, it seems our diesel juice standard is not where it should be yet... There's some hope though...

Yeah, my brother has driven the 335d and the 335i...he says there is no difference.

According to him, 335i is a bit quicker off the mark but the 335d is way quicker from 80-120. :) It's about 50000Euros over there. However, the 335i has one advantage over the 335d....it's available in X-drive :D

mr corsa
17th October 2007, 01:40 PM
i love power and lots of it

Apex
17th October 2007, 01:56 PM

Is that Wright??

Car has down pipe, intake, iridium plugs and flash tune only. Running at 15-16 pound peak boost the AH's (Steve's and mine) produced in-between 142 and 148 KW at the wheels.

I have run the car down the quarter mile in the mid 14’s so I have no doubt these figures are accurate. The Dyno was done by Torque Performance who are thought to be New Zealand’s top tuners.

Many stock cars were tested that day and power figures equated to factory claims, so I dunno maybe my cars a freak

http://www.torqueperformance.co.nz/index.php (http://www.torqueperformance.co.nz/index.php)

nz-sri
17th October 2007, 02:25 PM
agree with him /\/\/\

both at the same dyno day and mine made 148kw at the wheels , same intake , tune, etc

now with the sports button on its a handfull , if i can take a photo of the dyno sheet i will post it later

but now its a fun car to drive .

Just as a side note took the new WRX for a test drive and thats ment to have 168kw at the fly , granted the engine was new etc but that felt slow in comparison .

JasonGilholme
17th October 2007, 02:43 PM
agree with him /\/\/\

both at the same dyno day and mine made 148kw at the wheels , same intake , tune, etc

now with the sports button on its a handfull , if i can take a photo of the dyno sheet i will post it later

but now its a fun car to drive .

Just as a side note took the new WRX for a test drive and thats ment to have 168kw at the fly , granted the engine was new etc but that felt slow in comparison .

168 at the fly on a 4wd car will only be about 110 at the wheels.

luvpsi
17th October 2007, 02:48 PM
He should be getting around ~200kW at the flywheel.

that is very much impossible with the very small turbine on the sri-t's...

bornwild
17th October 2007, 02:51 PM
If he is getting ~150kW at the wheels....at the engine it's gotta be almost 200kW

luvpsi
17th October 2007, 02:58 PM
If he is getting ~150kW at the wheels....at the engine it's gotta be almost 200kW

impossible... there is no way in the world that the K03/04 (assuming its same turbo as on Z20LET) will flow that much power

Apex
17th October 2007, 02:59 PM

Dont know how you get those figures, the Astra would only loose a small amount through the drive train guys. ;)

The car will be putting out around 180kw at the Fly.

luvpsi
17th October 2007, 03:07 PM
Dont know how you get those figures, the Astra would only loose a small amount through the drive train guys. ;)

The car will be putting out around 180kw at the Fly.

that sounds correct:) thats what I am hoping my car would be producing too. As far as I know the AH and TS engines are very similar apart from a few little differences

dieselhead
17th October 2007, 03:08 PM
yeah, 180 kW is pretty close to VXR's indicated 177 kW :)

bornwild
17th October 2007, 03:10 PM
Ah so it doesn't lose as much power...okay well 180 is pretty close to 200:p

Apex
17th October 2007, 03:22 PM
yeah, 180 kW is pretty close to VXR's indicated 177 kW :)

But flash a VXR! Lordy lordy :dance:
I am happy with how my car is now after spending a couple of grand on her.

dieselhead
17th October 2007, 03:42 PM
not sure about flashing a VXR, that engine is pretty stretched as it is, being a modded version of SRi T's engine...

bornwild
17th October 2007, 03:44 PM
not sure about flashing a VXR, that engine is pretty stretched as it is, being a modded version of SRi T's engine...

The VXR has a completely different engine, capable of more than what it has...easily:)

oneightoo
17th October 2007, 03:47 PM
sri t = LET
VXR = LEH

i think thats right lol

luvpsi
17th October 2007, 03:59 PM
sri t = LET
VXR = LEH

i think thats right lol

TS sri-t = LET
AH sri-t = LER

luvpsi
17th October 2007, 04:00 PM
The VXR has a completely different engine, capable of more than what it has...easily:)

there are some differences, not many though...

oneightoo
17th October 2007, 04:06 PM
isnt it just strengthened internals?

USC
17th October 2007, 04:10 PM

dont think its completely different...its just a modded engine with a different engine code.

dieselhead
17th October 2007, 04:26 PM
from what I read, the VXR has just a few internals strengthened, that's all. that's why I wonder how much more can you squeeze out of that engine.
anyone that could throw a link of two for us to find out how high VXRs can go?

mr corsa
17th October 2007, 04:31 PM
from what I read, the VXR has just a few internals strengthened, that's all. that's why I wonder how much more can you squeeze out of that engine.
could anybody throw a link of two for us to find out how high VXRs can go?
bet you i can squeeze a shit load out of it! my 1.8l is in the zone of 420 fly wheel horse power

dieselhead
17th October 2007, 04:32 PM
hey, I was talking about a re-flash plus some minor mods here, not about a total engine reconstruction! :)

Wraith
17th October 2007, 04:54 PM
anyone that could throw a link of two for us to find out how high VXRs can go?

Stock standard they can go a very long way......

Components wise, it is a much stronger engine than that of the Sri t.

The turbo (K04) will flow to around 230kw and 460nm !

With further tuning, (cams, turbo) but still same internals they can go to over 250kw...

Regals do a high torque tune, which can generate over 500nm !

Check out the U.K. tuners Courteney Sport and Regals for all the info...

Or German tuners EDS etc....

USC
17th October 2007, 04:56 PM
bet you i can squeeze a shit load out of it! my 1.8l is in the zone of 420 fly wheel horse power

and blow it in a couple of weeks....:naughty: :p

blueraven
17th October 2007, 05:03 PM
impossible... there is no way in the world that the K03/04 (assuming its same turbo as on Z20LET) will flow that much power

Yes. Impossible.

i am using a stock vxr turbo(K04 variant..of which there are heaps) which is identical to the sri-t turbo aside from having a better cast manifold, and have 200kw~ at the wheels.

So obviously its impossible. Especially considering there is more than half a dozen guys in the UK running similar power (all quoting circa 300hp at the fly) with the same turbo, i think some even still have the std sr-t turbo. Again...impossible!

and the difference between a LEH and LER is: forged pistons, compression ratio, crankshaft and under pistion oil sprays for cooling....and a few other things i think.

blueraven
17th October 2007, 05:04 PM
and blow it in a couple of weeks....:naughty: :p

not true. he has had that kind of power for quite a while now...

dieselhead
17th October 2007, 05:06 PM
how on earth would you manage 250 kW through the front wheels of an Astra Coupe? :confused:

Wraith
17th October 2007, 05:09 PM
OK then, start saving for the BMW 335d, 3.0 litre 6 cylinder twin-turbo 210 kW and 580 Nm torque from 1,750 rpm. I don't need to say it corners too. Will accelerate to 100 km/h in about 6 seconds... Despite its performance, it still does 37 mpg (combined cycle).
There you go.

That sounds good, but would depend on it's cost, compared with the 335i and when you look at the figures of the petrol turbo, I'm still not impressed with the oiler !

You can now get flash tunes (Xede) for the 335i that put it to 300kw and 500nm, stock standard the petrol turbo develops 100% of it's torque (ie: 400nm) at just 1,600rpm !

The stock 335i is in the 5sec zone 0-100km/h in fact it's quicker than the E46 M3 ! imagine the flashed examples performance.

The only reason I'd buy the oiler is for long range/economy....and would still have to get rid of that annoying black cloud following me around :D

Wraith
17th October 2007, 05:12 PM
how on earth would you manage 250 kW through the front wheels of an Astra Coupe? :confused:

The original question was how much/what's possible - these numbers ARE possible with petrol turbos !

Managing it is another story and I agree, those numbers are definitely too much to manage for FWD but LSD and smart electronics can help - such as the MPS 3.

dieselhead
17th October 2007, 05:22 PM
Managing it is another story and I agree, those numbers are definitely too much to manage for FWD but LSD and smart electronics can help - such as the MPS 3.

yeah, we all know how well that works on the 3 MPS...

about the 335d: I agree, it ain't cheap, but what it is telling us is that other manufacturers will follow suite. I heard some rumors about GMs next version of 1.9 CDTi, should reach 150 kW stock easily. Recently, GM bought big into VM Motori, the Italian mob responsible for developing the oilers used by Opel and Alfa. How much a twin-turbo V6 would put out you reckon? 200 kW should be within their reach, surely. just imagine a HSV wagon with that engine on!

Wraith
17th October 2007, 05:37 PM
All the info on future diesels sounds good, but until then I won't convert :)

As for MPS 3's LSD and power curtailing in 1st and 2nd, it works just fine - I've driven one - have you ?? I'd bet you'd love it and prefer it to your oiler (green box or not) for spirited driving ;)

I'm sure Dug has explained it here all before too :)

USC
17th October 2007, 06:03 PM
420 KW at the fly wheel!! thats crazy! thats about 350 kw at the wheels right?

Apex
17th October 2007, 06:20 PM

Not sure of the conversion, different cars loose more than others.

Funny, my Corolla is more a handful with 90kw than my Astra is with nearly double that. I wonder what the ideal limit for an Astra would be. 200kw @ the wheels??

blueraven
17th October 2007, 06:28 PM

With an uprated clutch and an ATB Quaife DIfferential :) (lsd).

Yes, it can be a handful.

He said HP not KW. And yes he is a crazy Mofo, but his car is definatly a labour of love and quite possibly the most rapid barina/corsa on the planet.

blueraven
17th October 2007, 06:31 PM
I wonder what the ideal limit for an Astra would be. 200kw @ the wheels??

I wont be chasing any more power, the car is brilliant in anything other than first gear, more power would only mean faster highway acceleration, and trust me, i have enough.

(rolling at 100 in top gear i still pull away quite quickly compared to the cdti in 3rd :) and as i have said before, the cdti woul dbe every bit as quick as an ah sri-t.

Apex
17th October 2007, 06:58 PM
I wont be chasing any more power, the car is brilliant in anything other than first gear, more power would only mean faster highway acceleration, and trust me, i have enough.

(rolling at 100 in top gear i still pull away quite quickly compared to the cdti in 3rd :) and as i have said before, the cdti woul dbe every bit as quick as an ah sri-t.

I disagree, we (my fiancé driving) left a customer of mine’s Astra diesel for dead when our car was stock. Maybe they just feel quick :confused:

bornwild
17th October 2007, 07:25 PM
I disagree, we (my fiancé driving) left a customer of mine’s Astra diesel for dead when our car was stock. Maybe they just feel quick :confused:

Your customer don't know how to drive. :cool:

dieselhead
17th October 2007, 07:49 PM
well, fact is the stock SRi T is about 0.5 seconds faster to 100 km/h than the CDTi. Left for dead? I wouldn't think is that dramatic, really :)
I left behind a Range Rover V8 Supercharged (291 kW) yesterday. We took off at the lights, the 4wd charged a few metres ahead of me until I changed into 3rd, when my oiler really took off. You should have seen the guy's face! Am I proud? Of course not, that's a stupid 3 tonne monster... No match for my light diesel, despite costing 6 times as much :) Now who said here cars are faster the more they cost, or something like that?

Apex
17th October 2007, 08:01 PM
Im just telling it as I saw it :p
FFS you diesel drivers have the car equivalent of short mans syndrome.
Everyone agrees the diesel goes ok :boohoo:

bornwild
17th October 2007, 08:07 PM
BTW how did you get the little apostrophe to show above the 'e' when you wrote your fiance??

xplosv57
17th October 2007, 08:12 PM
I'm sure my car can beat cars worth 10x as much, but if i had the money, i'd rather have the more expensive car cos it's most likely better made, get more looks and more so would have better resale value!!!

mr corsa
17th October 2007, 08:16 PM
He said HP not KW. And yes he is a crazy Mofo, but his car is definatly a labour of love and quite possibly the most rapid barina/corsa on the planet.[/quote]

1. yes horse power 2. i am crazy i talk to my car 3. more like stupidity than love 4. thank you for your kind words nik

USC
17th October 2007, 09:13 PM
well, fact is the stock SRi T is about 0.5 seconds faster to 100 km/h than the CDTi. Left for dead? I wouldn't think is that dramatic, really :)
I left behind a Range Rover V8 Supercharged (291 kW) yesterday. We took off at the lights, the 4wd charged a few metres ahead of me until I changed into 3rd, when my oiler really took off. You should have seen the guy's face! Am I proud? Of course not, that's a stupid 3 tonne monster... No match for my light diesel, despite costing 6 times as much :) Now who said here cars are faster the more they cost, or something like that?

I would love to race you man:D

CNBLU
17th October 2007, 09:34 PM
Im just telling it as I saw it :p
FFS you diesel drivers have the car equivalent of short mans syndrome.
Everyone agrees the diesel goes ok :boohoo:

LOL......:clap:

dieselhead
17th October 2007, 09:56 PM
FFS you diesel drivers have the car equivalent of short mans syndrome. :boohoo:

...just like like you petrol heads! why all these expensive mods and ECU re-flashes? that's because we never have enough power!
the only difference between us diesel drivers and the rest of the world is that we love Nm more than we love kW. Oh, and we keep an eye on that fuel gage, only because we care about our poor planet :D

USC
17th October 2007, 10:01 PM
I wonder how would diesel engines go if they created diesel spark plugs..hehe...it might reduce the noise as the diesel wont rely on just compression to burn anymore..

dieselhead
17th October 2007, 10:05 PM
you're talking about the Diesotto engines from Daimler, are you? there is such thing being tested as we speak, that works as a diesel in the lower range but switches to Otto cycle at higher revs. so you get Diesel torque, economy AND petrol like power.

"This 1.8 liter DOHC inline-4 engine with variable valve control can produce 238 horsepower (177 kw) and 400Nm of torque, but consumes less than 6 liters of fuel per 100km - not on a small car but in the current Mercedes Benz S-Class!"

http://paultan.org/archives/2007/07/26/mercedes-benz-diesotto-inline-4-engine-concept/

USC
17th October 2007, 10:23 PM
Actually, I was talking about making diesel engines burn diesel like a petrol engine, ie, using spark plugs--which will lead to less smoke and noise. I see daimler is doing the opposite with petrol engines to try get more torque..thats very clever!:D I love technology!

bornwild
17th October 2007, 10:24 PM
Daimler is actually using Diesel fuel...in a petrol-like engine...

USC
17th October 2007, 10:54 PM
Daimler is actually using Diesel fuel...in a petrol-like engine...
dude, its a gasoline engine that combines the advantages of both conventional petrol and diesel engine, ie, it will burn petrol without spark plugs at low revvs for more torque. It does NOT use diesel fuel. It uses petrol but has the characteristics of a diesel.

bornwild
17th October 2007, 11:01 PM
Really? I remember when it was just announced on worldcarfans they said it was diesel....bugger that's not bad ey using petrol hmm

coyotte
23rd October 2007, 04:05 PM
Prior to my 04 SRi turbo, I had a 2.2 litre SRi. The power difference is VERY noticable, (even if you do have the 2.2lit. "sports mode" on).
An extra 30 plus kws (depending on mods) does put you back in your seat when you plant it).

cbrmale
23rd October 2007, 04:43 PM
Prior to my 04 SRi turbo, I had a 2.2 litre SRi. The power difference is VERY noticable, (even if you do have the 2.2lit. "sports mode" on).
An extra 30 plus kws (depending on mods) does put you back in your seat when you plant it).

I take it your 2.2 SRi is the old model, not the current AH model? The direct injection 2.2 has more low-down torque than the previous incarnation of the engine, although it is not a particularly sporty engine. Hotter than a 1.8 and very good with an automatic, but not meant to be a competitor with the turbo.

Indeed, I suspect the current 2.2 Astra models (which are exclusive to Australia) evolved out of the need for a hotter automatic.

Kippa-Dee
23rd October 2007, 06:27 PM
bah. all this bitching about power. I'll trade my Barina for one of your Turbo's anyday, THEN let me hear complain about lack of power.

CNBLU
23rd October 2007, 06:39 PM
I take it your 2.2 SRi is the old model, not the current AH model? The direct injection 2.2 has more low-down torque than the previous incarnation of the engine, although it is not a particularly sporty engine. Hotter than a 1.8 and very good with an automatic, but not meant to be a competitor with the turbo.

Indeed, I suspect the current 2.2 Astra models (which are exclusive to Australia) evolved out of the need for a hotter automatic.

hate to brake it to ya but theres not much difference between a 2.2 to a 1.8ltr:cool:

but a massive difference for both to the turbo, even if the turbo is stock

Vectracious
23rd October 2007, 06:43 PM
hate to brake it to ya but theres not much difference between a 2.2 to a 1.8ltr:cool:

Have to agree with Gav - on many a cruise I've been on, there has not been much between (and I'm talking Astra G here) a N/A SRi and a 1.8.

bornwild
23rd October 2007, 08:26 PM
well the extra 400ccm are only good for a bit of extra 'smoothness'

luvpsi
23rd October 2007, 10:22 PM

the turbo's extra torque and linear power delivery play a major role here:D

cbrmale
24th October 2007, 08:27 AM
Have to agree with Gav - on many a cruise I've been on, there has not been much between (and I'm talking Astra G here) a N/A SRi and a 1.8.

Well, the current 2.2 is significantly different to the older version of the engine: the direct high-pressure (120bar) fuel injection allows a 12:1 compression ratio for a start. 120bar is about 1,700psi.

The AH 2.2 will do 0-100 in the mid eights, which is not particularly sporty but still hotter than a 1.8. The 2.2's big thing is torque, and lots of it. The new 2.2 puts out more torque (180nm) at 1,500 rpm than the 1.8 does at its torque peak of 3,800! This is why the 2.2 works so well with an automatic.

And the torque keeps on building from there, which makes the 2.2 great for flattening hills and for overtaking multiple cars and trucks (which is what I wanted). And it goes without saying that the 2.2 is good around town too.

btm
24th October 2007, 10:40 AM
And the torque keeps on building from there, which makes the 2.2 great for flattening hills and for overtaking multiple cars and trucks (which is what I wanted). And it goes without saying that the 2.2 is good around town too.
:clap: :clap: i agree :)

Wraith
24th October 2007, 11:22 AM

The shove in the seat or extra power feel between the 2.2 and a turbo would be more from the substantial torque difference than the power difference ;)

A very close friend of mine has a TS 1.8ltr sedan, compared to a another friends 2.2ltr hatch, there is a very noticeable difference in power and go...however both feel like total weaklings compared to my heavier turbo convertible, even when it was stock....both those guys freak out when they ride in my vert, at how much stronger it feels and pulls and my vert would be slower than a turbo hatch because it weighs alot more :)

oneightoo
24th October 2007, 11:59 AM
i've had both the 1.8 and 2.2..

gotta say the 1.8 picks up in low revs a lot quicker, but overall the difference between the two is very noticeable.. the 2.2 is a better drive..

blueraven
24th October 2007, 12:13 PM
both those guys freak out when they ride in my vert, at how much stronger it feels and pulls and my vert would be slower than a turbo hatch because it weighs alot more :)

Imagine the look on people faces when i give them a lift ;) :D ...

Its only an astra after all. ;)

USC
24th October 2007, 02:03 PM
haha..I agree...2.2L will pull a lot better, especially if you have 2 or 3 passengers in the car...you will notice the difference a lot more then...