PDA

View Full Version : Ford Mondao XR5 Turbo.

Shaun
14th October 2007, 05:39 PM
Just got home from the Australian International Motorshow where i found an XR5 Turbo Monday on the Stands. Priced at 42k + ORC. The car looks the goods . Good pricing as well considering the size of the it and that there are Hot Hatches that are close on pricing that are 3 doors.

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1178823204712&pagename=FOA%2FDFYPage%2FDefault1024&c=DFYPage

Wraith
14th October 2007, 05:52 PM
Agree, for the money, your certainly getting alot of car with the same engine as the Xr5 Focus, interesting - dosn't look all that bad either :rolleyes:

Shaun
14th October 2007, 09:28 PM
Be interested to see the reviews when they come out.
EVO X is HOT!!
\

EL BURITO
14th October 2007, 10:37 PM
so if you factor in the cost of the leather option on the XR5 focus then its really only an extra 4K for the mondeo

rjastra
15th October 2007, 07:53 AM
If I am not mistaken the Mondeo Turbo weighs in close to 1.6T. Can't imagine it being light on its feet like a hot hatch then.

Shaun
15th October 2007, 09:05 AM
If I am not mistaken the Mondeo Turbo weighs in close to 1.6T. Can't imagine it being light on its feet like a hot hatch then.

And Volvo S60T5 (Same Engine as the Focus XR5T and the Mondao XR5T) Weights in at 1700-1800kg's from Memory and l can tell you from exp. they move well.

rjastra
15th October 2007, 12:49 PM
And Volvo S60T5 (Same Engine as the Focus XR5T and the Mondao XR5T) Weights in at 1700-1800kg's from Memory and l can tell you from exp. they move well.

But, the S60 has never ever been thought of as a good handling car.
The T5 had 20kw more than the engine used in the XR5 and Mondeo. It weighed in at around 1600kg.

I was never intending to comment on acceleration, more the handling chracteristics.

bornwild
15th October 2007, 04:54 PM
The T5 had 20kw more than the engine used in the XR5 and Mondeo. It weighed in at around 1600kg.

I was never intending to comment on acceleration, more the handling chracteristics.

Mondeo handles like a hatch.....believe it.

SIMid
15th October 2007, 09:54 PM
18" wheels? Look like 14"s.

dieselhead
15th October 2007, 10:06 PM
this Mondeo is bad news for many premium models from Subaru and Toyota. why would you spend $50k+ for an Aurion or Liberty when you can have a 162 kW turbo? want fuel economy? have a look at those Diesels then! poor Holden, they don't have anything in that league... there's a lot of market giving up on Commodores and Falcons, but not all of it will buy a hatch, regardless how hot. not hard to guess they will find cars like the Mondeo very attractive. upper middle sized cars could be the new big family cars, wouldn't you agree?

rjastra
15th October 2007, 11:12 PM
this Mondeo is bad news for many premium models from Subaru and Toyota. why would you spend $50k+ for an Aurion or Liberty when you can have a 162 kW turbo? want fuel economy? have a look at those Diesels then! poor Holden, they don't have anything in that league... there's a lot of market giving up on Commodores and Falcons, but not all of it will buy a hatch, regardless how hot. not hard to guess they will find cars like the Mondeo very attractive. upper middle sized cars could be the new big family cars, wouldn't you agree?

Blah blah blah... no auto = 80% of market lost. Same fate as the MPS6.

They will have more lucky with the auto LX/Zetec and the TDCi.

dieselhead
15th October 2007, 11:23 PM
I was not talking about the XR5 model only... Not everyone has a fast family that needs to get moving at 100 km/h in 7 seconds and a bit :)

EL BURITO
15th October 2007, 11:30 PM
I was not talking about the XR5 model only... Not everyone has a fast family that needs to get moving at 100 km/h in 7 seconds and a bit :)
If the do but its big they can get a Avensis

dieselhead
15th October 2007, 11:45 PM
Avensis is a bloody fridge and drives like one, too :) The Mondeo is way classier than that.
What's amazing is Ford's aggressive pricing. You could actually take home one of these for Epica money! Could be they're that desperate... Do you remember how expensive was the top Vectra model a few years back? Holden was wondering what's wrong, why don't they sell like they do in Europe. Their wise marketing people couldn't figure out that you can't sell a small V6 for more that a V8 is fetching, especially when bot come from the same stable. It seems Ford learned something from that story.

Tfer
16th October 2007, 08:39 AM
Ordered a brochure today :)

Quite a stylish looking ride, and with the Volvo sharing of technology, that for me, is a good thing.

But the alloys do not look 18" though... but could be an optical illusion :confused:

Good to see Ford bringing out European Fords in a wide model spread :D unlike someone else :rolleyes:

Wraith
16th October 2007, 10:21 AM
Agree Thomas, it's really growing on me too...

In terms of looks, features, cost and o/a appeal, it's a very nice package.

It will be a very good competitor to the new Mazda 6 too !

If the wheels pictured in the brochure are 18's, then it gives some indication on the cars o/a size, ie: it's a fairly large-ish sedan :)

btm
16th October 2007, 10:48 AM
bonnet looks a bit strange being so far above the headlights... but other than that... i think i like it :)

Shaun
17th October 2007, 12:49 AM

What do you base that on?? Have you even driven an S60 ?? i can say i have and they do handle.