PDA

View Full Version : Caliper cleaning

lampshade
14th October 2007, 04:51 PM
No detailing section????

Anyway, I had a spare hour or so before Kiri had to go to work so thought I would take the front wheels off to give the calipers a good clean as they were black (as opposed to shiny red) How wrong can a guy be:( after wrist action not seen since I was 14 years old the calipers are slightly better but still not up to much??

So what do you use to clean brake calipers:confused:

Wraith
14th October 2007, 05:37 PM
Basically what you did is as far as you could go without taking the whole thing apart lol, which I don't think would be a good idea.

They will colour fade and wear in time, because of the extreme heat that the calipers endure, so the nice paint shine and look from new, will not last forever ;)

I did the same with my 'nice' Harrop whopper stoppers on my previous HSV R8, but quickly discovered that too much 'rigour' removed the paint !!

So I reccommend, just sticking to water, car shampoo/soap and sponge or mit, don't get onto them with any polishes or you might wear off the paint....

reedaaron
14th October 2007, 05:42 PM
i just used turps on mine when i fitted my new rotors and pads last weekend, seemed to get most of the grime off, still factory 'dull' red... but hey, better than not being painted at all :p

Shaun
14th October 2007, 05:44 PM
John any pics of how bad the Calipers are?
And i agree.. Its about time a Detailing section was added ADMIN!!

EL BURITO
14th October 2007, 05:46 PM
acetone. then repaint them.

they will be clean at least

lampshade
14th October 2007, 06:06 PM
I did try and take a pic of them Shaun, but my camera was missing it's memory card:confused: Of course the kids have no knowledge of it going missing:mad: (last ones using it) seems it just decided to vanish into thin air:cool:

Dare I try turps on a small section and see what it does with a wet cloth waiting just incase???

random photo for you 888's at a C/S dyno day

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/lampshade1/DSCN0581.jpg

Wraith
14th October 2007, 06:21 PM
I love the Astra G coupe.......still spewing GMH didn't bring em to Oz.

All these have angel eye headlights, they look great :)

EL BURITO
14th October 2007, 06:50 PM
Dare I try turps on a small section and see what it does with a wet cloth waiting just incase???

turps will be fine on the paint. but you may fine it dose very little if the dust is that caked on.

a small amount of kero might be a better idea. Turps substitute is a little stronger than turps so might be a bit better

tuzinski
14th October 2007, 07:06 PM
i just cleaned all the crap off my mags and calipers with "Easy Off Oven Cleaner"
mags came up all clean no brake dust or crap!

reedaaron
14th October 2007, 08:02 PM
turps worked well for me, mind you i did have to scrub a fair bit with a toothbrush, i'd say it's the first time my calipers have ever been cleaned properly...

daaaaavek
15th October 2007, 06:27 AM
Turps and a wire brush ..