PDA

View Full Version : Question to change car Astra or Focus !!!

Cheetahs
14th October 2007, 02:11 PM
HI everyone, I got a question to about change new car. My aunty who own a toyota eco( small car) which is 7 yrs with 40000 miles/KM on clock. But she decide to upgrade/change to astra CDX or Focus both 1.8L auto. which model she should go for? for me I am current vercy c owner and always success her to get 1.8 L to her. And now close to end of year sales.should she wait abit or ?Please post your word.. thanks . .need your option thanks :) :) :)

skulless
14th October 2007, 02:21 PM
definitely the new astra. looks so much hotter than the focus. :)

EL BURITO
14th October 2007, 02:33 PM
I would wait and buy in Jan when they are really looking for the $. The Focus is a bit of a Povie pack in the lower spec. wat are the CDX's now 24K isnt it, wats is the price on the equivalent Focus

xplosv57
14th October 2007, 02:55 PM
If she's doing 40000km every 7 years and already has a Toyota, why not go for a Corolla?? In the next 7 years, it'll be worth the most in the end, be the cheapest to service and repair!!

Out of the Astra and Focus though, i'd g for the Astra probably cos i'm biased by the site but the Astra has been around alot longer than the Focus and imo looks better!!

bornwild
14th October 2007, 03:27 PM
Don't get a Corolla....it's crap...worse economy than both the focus and astra and the drive isn't as involving and no it won't be worth more than the astra or focus....(I just looked it up on carsales)

Tough choice though, both Focus and Astra are on a level playing field; though when it comes to quality I reckon the Astra edges it out.

USC
14th October 2007, 04:03 PM
Tell her to get a Honda civic or mazda 3...but out of focus or astra, I would pick Astra for sure....on the other hand, I think Holden dealers suck so even though the astra is a better car, go with the company that will look after you better...

bornwild
14th October 2007, 04:34 PM
Tell her to get a Honda civic

+1

Best car in class for a granny

EL BURITO
14th October 2007, 04:42 PM
If u are going to look at Honda go a Jazz. cheaper and nicer interior. At least Honda hold value really well

rjastra
14th October 2007, 05:19 PM
Left field. Hyundai i30.

Astra vs Focus? Neither if she wants to keep it for another 7 yrs.

Tell her to just get a Corolla. She can't really go wrong with one. Remember she has to own and run it. Doesn't really matter how well it drives. It will be reliable.

Conquest spec should be adequate.

Wraith
14th October 2007, 05:30 PM
HI everyone, I got a question to about change new car. My aunty who own a toyota eco( small car) which is 7 yrs with 40000 miles/KM on clock. But she decide to upgrade/change to astra CDX or Focus both 1.8L auto. which model she should go for? for me I am current vercy c owner and always success her to get 1.8 L to her. And now close to end of year sales.should she wait abit or ?Please post your word.. thanks . .need your option thanks :) :) :)

I too wouldn't limit my choices to just these 2 cars !!

There could be better to choose from out there, for the same money.

My 1st choice, taking into account, it's a car for your Aunty would be to stick to Toyota and get a Corolla.

2nd choice would be a new Hyundai i30.

But if you are only considering the above 2, then the best thing to do is take the time to go and look at and thoroughly check both of them out and also test drive and make a decision based on the results of that....

I'm sure your Auntie would be interested in more than just which one looks better ;)

CNBLU
14th October 2007, 05:40 PM
resale value of a corolla will kill that of an astra and a focus. if shes had a toyota for the past 7 years then she should just apgrade the toyota.

USC
14th October 2007, 08:32 PM
+1

Best car in class for a granny

+1*

Best comment I have seen so far for this post:clap:

rjastra
15th October 2007, 07:49 AM
When it comes to non-enthusiasts, I am always of the opinion not to tell what to buy based on what I would buy. Best to listen what they "really" want and steer them towards the most reliable car they can buy in that class. Throw up other options for them to consider by all means but be honest in the pros/cons.

Dave
15th October 2007, 08:22 AM
a buss pass for grany ? :p

cbrmale
15th October 2007, 09:44 AM
As an ex-Hyundai owner (XD Elantra), I wouldn't consider that make! While they have improved chassis dynamics with the i30, build quality and reliability remain sub-standard. I was a member of the Elantra forum, and it was clear that reliability has not improved with the latest model either.

An Astra is not as reliable as the best on the market either, probably not as reliable as a Toyota. However, I have driven both Corolla and Camry hire cars, and they were awful beyond description! Both made the XD Elantra seem like a taughtly-sprung sports car!

I am biased as I chose an Astra, but it is a better looking car than a Focus. If the budget stretches, the Mazda 3 is good though expensive, which is one of the reasons I chose the Astra (my SRi 2.2 was quite a few thousand cheaper than an equivalent Mazda 3).

Apex
15th October 2007, 12:56 PM
I would lean towards the Toyota myself.

USC
15th October 2007, 02:09 PM
yeh, go toyota or honda for excellent resale value and reliability.

J
15th October 2007, 02:25 PM
Hmm...how about the new CJ Lancer?

USC
15th October 2007, 02:33 PM
even though reviews says a lot of good things about the new lancer, it hasnt been around for long enough to convince the aunty to get one...:p ie, not sure about reliability, built quality etc.. also, it looks too aggressive for an old person.

Red AH SRI T
15th October 2007, 05:55 PM
also, it looks too aggressive for an old person.

tell granny to grow some balls

poita
15th October 2007, 07:38 PM
tell granny to have a teaspoon of cement and harden the f*%k up!