PDA

View Full Version : Fog light

bornwild
13th October 2007, 12:38 PM
Hey guys,

I just noticed on me astra that the left fog light has blown....again for the 2nd time in 2mths. Last time I went to holden and they replaced it under warranty and it took them 3hrs!!!! Faggots!!

Anyway, I went to AutoBarn and the good car-manual is so good that it doesn't even say what globes you need but yeah luckily the fella at autobarn told me they were H3s. So yeah I thought I'd buy some and they were about 40-50 bucks. Then he tells me that if it's on the same side for the 2nd time it might actually have something to do with the circuitry....

What do you reckon I should do?

1. Go to holden again and wait another 3hrs for them to change a ****ing bulb?

2. Go to holden and tell them to **** off?

3. Get those bulbs and run the risk of blowing $40 bulbs?

It really shits me, and the cherry on top was that the manual doesn't even say what bulbs they are....FFS.

:mad:

USC
13th October 2007, 01:16 PM
Hey guys,

I just noticed on me astra that the left fog light has blown....again for the 2nd time in 2mths. Last time I went to holden and they replaced it under warranty and it took them 3hrs!!!! Faggots!!

Anyway, I went to AutoBarn and the good car-manual is so good that it doesn't even say what globes you need but yeah luckily the fella at autobarn told me they were H3s. So yeah I thought I'd buy some and they were about 40-50 bucks. Then he tells me that if it's on the same side for the 2nd time it might actually have something to do with the circuitry....

What do you reckon I should do?

3. Get those bulbs and run the risk of blowing $40 bulbs?

It really shits me, and the cherry on top was that the manual doesn't even say what bulbs they are....FFS.

:mad:

lemon lemon lemon...:p

Me thinks the shitty technicians at Holden probably touched the bulb with their greasy hands when they replaced the bulb...thats why it blew as the grease creates a hot spot and blows the bulb.

Buy the bulb, change it yourself and use a clean towel or tissue to hold it. why dont u get a bulb from Holden..sometimes parts like this are cheaper at dealership.

I would also change the fuse just to make sure(get a genuine one from holden, the fuse box is in the boot)

If it is the wiring loom that is faulty(which I seriously doubt that it is the case), have fun getting the parts people to look up which one is for your car and waiting for about 5 ****en weeks to get a new one from germany...should be able to claim warranty though.

bornwild
13th October 2007, 02:40 PM
Now I know why it's worth paying the extra $10k for a Golf...

poita
13th October 2007, 02:48 PM
to not get fog lights?

SaInT
13th October 2007, 03:04 PM
check the fog light is not shaking in the mount, i have had a similar problem when one of my healdight mount screws came loose, not enough to actually notice it shaking when driving, but it has made me go through 2 globes before i checked it out :P

CNBLU
13th October 2007, 03:21 PM
try bennet auto wreckers in dandy. got myself a h7 bulb and holder for TEN BUCKS....

works a treat;)

MatsHolden
13th October 2007, 03:49 PM
Common problem. My brother's 06.5 CDX Coupe has blown it about 3 times. Fixed now though.

entice
13th October 2007, 04:07 PM
I would suggest you start by getting some anger management tuition...

And then...
1. if you're paying $40 for a H3 bulb, you're being ripped. Try +30 or +50 Bosch items.. they come in single packs
2. Check to make sure that it is earted correctly. Most bulbs blow because:
a. They get too hot (too high a wattage, or a poor element)
b. when they get mildly hot oils or grease from fingers create hot spots on the bulb
c. there is too much vibration
d. not properly earthed

I once kept blowing globes in an MX5... turned out that when I put the stock suspension back in, things worked a treat.... so vibrations make a huge difference

bornwild
13th October 2007, 05:15 PM
It's $40 for a pair. Yeah I got everything stock on my car so yeah no clue...

Common problem. My brother's 06.5 CDX Coupe has blown it about 3 times. Fixed now though.

How??

digifish
13th October 2007, 11:03 PM
Now I know why it's worth paying the extra $10k for a Golf...

I own a Passat and have spent a lot of time around VW dealers...no better in my experience. I have had overfilled oil, unnecessary work done (engine flushes) etc etc etc...and very expensive :(

My Holden dealer on the other hand has been cheap, honest and helpful.

digifish

MatsHolden
14th October 2007, 12:06 PM
It's $40 for a pair. Yeah I got everything stock on my car so yeah no clue...

How??

Just checked with the brother and it's not fixed. My bad. They're getting an auto electrician to check it out.

WLD-18L
14th October 2007, 12:43 PM
is water getting into the fog light ?? if it is it will short out the globe causint it to blow.

just having a stab.... good luck

MatsHolden
14th October 2007, 12:45 PM
is water getting into the fog light ?? if it is it will short out the globe causint it to blow.

just having a stab.... good luck

Nah it's not water.

bornwild
14th October 2007, 12:54 PM
nah no water...funny you mention that. My right fog light has a cracked glass cover and it has moisture in it but the light itself works perfectly fine. The left one is the problem, my guess is some wiring is stuffed up...

EL BURITO
14th October 2007, 01:55 PM
for the moisture problem but one of those little white bags from shoe box in there for the day

USC
14th October 2007, 04:05 PM
check the price for a new wiring from holden and order it....bloody warranty will probably make u go mad for a year b4 they decided to repair it properly.

it should be just the wiring for the fog lights...if u can look at yours under the bumper, there is a tag with a part number on it...

Try change the bulb yourself first and see how it goes b4 changing wiring etc.

Wraith
14th October 2007, 05:43 PM
Hey guys,

Last time I went to holden and they replaced it under warranty and it took them 3hrs!!!! Faggots!!

I think your questions are answered already, I just had to quote these lines as I'm still wiping the tears of laughter away from my eyes :D :D :D

I reckon just tell em to 'F off ' and replace it yourself.......