PDA

View Full Version : Engine question: idle engine

anicorsa
18th June 2004, 02:20 PM
Im not very mechanically minded when it comes to cars, so i have a question.

How many revs should your car be at idle?

Reason why i ask is because my car used to idle at around the 1000-1100rev mark, not it sits around the 600-700 mark and has a bit more trouble starting than it used too... :shock:

WHats going on??

Vectracious
18th June 2004, 02:24 PM
Cars usually idle anywhere between 600-800rpm usually. Idling around the 1000-1100 mark (unless the engine is cold) is unusual.

Sometimes the idle speed is found on the Emissions plate on cars or in the specs part of the manual.

anicorsa
18th June 2004, 02:28 PM
I had a look at the emissions plate.. it said 820 +- 110, so its about right. Probably more on the lower end of that figure.

Then why would the car struggle to start? could it be the spark plug? i dunno..

Vectracious
18th June 2004, 02:49 PM
IS your battery OK?

Spark plugs clean?

Cars tend to take longer to start as they get older - I know yours is only 2 years old, but my Vectra now takes longer to start than it did brand new, especially during winter.

anicorsa
18th June 2004, 03:18 PM
hmm, could be the spark plugs, i'll have to have a look.

Battery, i did just get a sub, and had been pumping it pretty loud with the engine on. COuld it be that the batt cant handle the power load?

The problem is only minor, i was just curious to know why a car would take longer to start. It wasnt a cold engine either.

Rhino
18th June 2004, 03:34 PM
When you turn your key to the 'on' position, wait a while for the fuel pump to work (you'll hear it start and stop after a few seconds), then try starting it and see if it is any different.

anicorsa
18th June 2004, 03:38 PM
Ah, so its just the lag time for the pump to pump the fuel?

Rhino
18th June 2004, 04:23 PM
Possible, just another thing to try.

anicorsa
18th June 2004, 04:50 PM
ok, cool.. i'll try that when the engines cold, as thats when its longest to start.

Vectracious
18th June 2004, 04:50 PM
The sub/battery thing might be an issue. Maybe someone with a system in their car can shed more light.

The "wait for the fuel pump to stop pumping" issue is an interesting one. SOme people say turn the ignition on, you;ll hear a slight buzzing noise that stops in anywhere between 1-5 seconds (depending on the car) and only when it stops you start the engine.

I have asked many many people in the know (mechanics/service managers/people that know) and the majority of people say that it doesn't make a difference. You won't wreck you're fuel pump, and the car isn't going to start any easier.

Now in saying that, I always wait for my fuel light to go out (goes out when the pump stops buzzing) before I start the engine in most cases, and sometimes when I don't, the engine does take a little longer to start - but it could also be my imagination.

As Rhino said - it's worth trying. :)

anicorsa
18th June 2004, 05:05 PM
Yeah i just tried it then, didnt make a difference.

Like i said, it was only slightly longer than when the car was new. I was just wondering what contributes to it.

Lopel
18th June 2004, 05:59 PM
also i would have your spark plug leads checked, i think in the post somewhere someone said your car is only two years old, you never know, it could be possible that a lead might be breaking down and not firing properley, ive had the same problem with mine recently with a rough idle and performance wise..had a quote to replace sparky leads and was looking at the $400 dollar mark.. so you might wanna have it checked to be on the safe side..

Regards
Lopel

frankie9fingers
19th June 2004, 03:32 PM
XC barinas don't have leads, they're coil overs.

Notice since winter began, the troubles rise up? I've got gear selection when cold, and a faint electric cutout when i first takeoff in the cold.

anicorsa
19th June 2004, 04:45 PM
Not really, sometimes i get the gear problem, cant get it into reverse.

But since winter began it just takes a little longer to start. I'll keep an eye on it though.