PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying Renault megane convertible

debbie
7th October 2007, 01:02 PM
Hi all have been looking at the holden astra convertible and also the Renault megane convertible Ive got to say that the renault looks much classier but I found that when sitting in the renault in the front that the roof is fairly low as with the astra theres a more head room has anyone heard any good or bad things of either car as the price is very much the same the renault is $44,490 and the astra is $45,850 im from sydney Australia any help would be much appreciated,Debbie

EL BURITO
7th October 2007, 03:13 PM
my worry in relation to Renault is the lack of dealers.
you do have a few to choice from when it comes to verts thou.
I wounder what the interior is like on the COLT CABRIOLET. If it is a step up from that of the rally art paired with the 1.5 turbo that would be a nice little package cos that engine pulls. plus its in your price rang as well.
(just a thought)

phat-dave
7th October 2007, 03:48 PM
in this price range... i'd be seriously considering the volkswagen EOS... horny...!

Calibrated
7th October 2007, 04:52 PM
in this price range... i'd be seriously considering the volkswagen EOS... horny...!

if you're gay....EOS was voted one of the Gay Cars of the year.
Astra Vert or Saab 93 Aero if you can stretch the budget and maybe look at a demo.

USC
7th October 2007, 04:57 PM
I wouldnt get either..get a secondhand bmw 3 series convertible;)

Calibrated
7th October 2007, 05:05 PM
I wouldnt get either..get a secondhand bmw 3 series convertible;)

thats a strong option too

bornwild
7th October 2007, 06:40 PM
Remembering that Renault is, quality-wise, on par or even below Hyundai...this is a no-brainer :)

The BMW vert 2nd hand is also a good option.

If I were in the market, I'd definitely get the VW Eos....it's the best car in the segment.

xplosv57
7th October 2007, 06:48 PM
If you were to go for a BMW Convertible in the price range, it's be a very early E46 or any E36, so age is a factor!!

Some E36's have roof opening issues so make sure to check them before purchase, however the E46 roofs are much better built and is a much better look!!

Friend has a Renault Megane convertible, it's had no trouble, but is a small car with a small engine, not much room in the interior!!

Astra is a bigger car with a bigger engine, and in my opinion looks better than the Megane also!!

Personally though, i'd also get a 2nd hand bimmer before both the Astra and Renault!!

imay
7th October 2007, 09:45 PM
Thinking of buying Renault megane convertible

Only one question: WHY?

Ex's father has one and I really can't see ANY attraction. No practical boot space with the roof down; less power than then Astra; look ungainly with the roof up OR down; interior trim looks more "plasticy" than the Astra; fussy roof operation (as is the new model Astra!); as has been mentioned previously the lack of dealers/service centres worries me somewhat (I feel the same with many Euro imports like Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Fiat, VW, Audi, BMW, MB, etc.) and this seems to give them a licence to charge whatever they like for service/parts.

All personal dislikes, I know, but I did have a good look at them before I bought an Astra TS Convertible. The decision not to buy Renault was an easy one. Had nothing to do with any allegiance to Holden, Opel or any brand . . . just the better product at a better price at the time.

But . . . having said all that, if YOU really like them, buy one and enjoy getting your top off as often as you can!

pred8r
7th October 2007, 10:04 PM
Remembering that Renault is, quality-wise, on par or even below Hyundai...this is a no-brainer :)

Interesting comment. Have you personally owned a Renault anything?

Mine has been fault-free (with the exception of a puncture, a month ago) for the last 65k kms. It has 73k kms on it and I've had it since new (12 months + 2 weeks)

From my experience owning both Renault and Opel, I have had more issues with my barina, which Ive had for 3yrs/30k kms, than the Renault.

Like El Burito posted earlier, my only concern would be a service centre. They seem to carry all service parts, MOST common parts, but some of the odd bits need to come from France (usually 2 weeks). Most services are also cheaper on my Renault than on the Opel.

Go the Renault. You could also consider a MX5 or if you like the euro stuff consider a Citroen or Pugeot(sp?) or Beetle (they also came out in turbo). The Colt Vert is a bit pricey but IIRC has the ralliart engine. Although at around $45k you start to get into the previous shape CLK Merc range (unless you need a 'new' car). Also consider Alfa spiders (ask Noir about hers, not a vert but basically the same).

The issue I have with GM is their service centres seem to know jack about the workings of the Opel stuff anyway. Ask ANYONE who has had the squeaky rear suspension arm bushes, which they say is the hatch or, even worse, an electrical fault. At least the 'proper' Euro retailers have the service training for the vehicles they sell (well you would think so).

Calibrated
7th October 2007, 10:20 PM
if you are going to make comments like that, back it up with facts...
oh wait..you cant...
:rolleyes:

P.S. Not that Hyundai is THAT bad...by far the best of the korean made cars.

bornwild
7th October 2007, 10:23 PM
if you are going to make comments like that, back it up with facts...
oh wait..you cant...
:rolleyes:

It's a personal experience thing.
Over n out

ps. where'd all these smartarses come from?

pps. pred8r yeah there is exceptions to everything...it's generally that Renault, Citroen & Peugeot is utter crap being sold as french 'prestige' in AU.

ppps. watch the comments on french cars by jeremy clarkson and tiff needall.....great design, sometimes great handling...sheeeet quality ;)

USC
7th October 2007, 11:09 PM
I knew a family member who owned a renault in the past and trust me they are rubbish...hers was a renault 19 bought new(1996 model). Always breaking down, not starting when too cold...etc etc..problems are endless. New renault engines have improved a bit since they bought nissan and shared technology with them...but I would still never buy one.

I agree GM australia knows jack about any opel stuff. Their service department sucks dog shit to the roof. They dont even know how to look up parts on their pc properly and almost everything apart from normal servicing stuff has to come from overseas...real pain in the butt.

MatsHolden
7th October 2007, 11:40 PM
I agree GM australia knows jack about any opel stuff. Their service department sucks dog shit to the roof. They dont even know how to look up parts on their pc properly and almost everything apart from normal servicing stuff has to come from overseas...real pain in the butt.

Again, that's a dealer related issue. Not all are like that.

jsantos
8th October 2007, 12:54 AM

The BMW vert 2nd hand is also a good option.

If I were in the market, I'd definitely get the VW Eos....it's the best car in the segment.

You can't bag out the quality of Renault and Hyundai and in the same post say that a 2nd hand BMW is a good option. Hyundai make some of the most reliable cars you can buy these days though. I wouldn't at all have a hard time believing that they were on par with a brand new BMW and more reliable then a second hand one.

Black Nugget
8th October 2007, 08:43 AM
i looked at a renault sport clio instead of sri, good car in terms of performance but rubish quality control....it wouldn't start on hills first time and they have to be serviced every 5,000 kms with very early timing belt changes. I reckon the beemer too... volkswagen has nearly as bad reputation for quality control as renault.

But hands down best convertible is the ford capri:p

bornwild
8th October 2007, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't at all have a hard time believing that they were on par with a brand new BMW and more reliable then a second hand one.

Ok, have fun in your excel/grandieur....I'll keep my 3/5 series :)

Hyundai have improved....just not.....that much....lawl:D

bornwild
8th October 2007, 09:27 AM
By the way, all the French car-makes are not in the bottom 5 on the JDPower survey for no reason, when it comes to quality and reliability....lawlll :D

USC
8th October 2007, 09:48 AM
Again, that's a dealer related issue. Not all are like that.

yep, I agree, all dealers in melbourne suck. I havent found a good one yet.

bornwild
8th October 2007, 09:50 AM
yep, I agree, all dealers in melbourne suck. I havent found a good one yet.

Let me know when you do. :rolleyes:

oneightoo
8th October 2007, 10:14 AM
renault megane = ugliest vert ever..

Wraith
8th October 2007, 12:16 PM

The Eos price range is actually well over that of both the Astra and Megane, since it is offered in turbo petrol and diesel models only !

Debbie it's all up to you in the end, if you like it then buy it, my choice of all the hard top verts around ATM in the 45-60k price bracket would be the Eos and 2nd the Astra twin top.

The SAAB is a vert I would never consider, because quite simply it's no better than an Astra and it's priced at almost twice as much !

The convertible Megane styling is not to my liking either, but it does look a hell of a lot better than the hatch - that has got to go down as one of the ugliest cars ever made !

As for reliability, I can't comment, havn't heard much either way of good or bad on these cars, best bet is to check out reviews on cars guide sections for accurate and reliable info, if it proves to be positive and you really like the car, then buy one, don't worry about other peoples opinions ;)

luvpsi
8th October 2007, 12:39 PM
Renault Clio Sport CUP... best handling front driver in the world;)

Wraith
8th October 2007, 12:59 PM
Renault Clio Sport CUP... best handling front driver in the world;)

This is true, but IMO it and Megane arn't the best looking things around...

btm
8th October 2007, 01:03 PM
i don't think Renault know how to make a decent looking car... its just not in them

oneightoo
8th October 2007, 01:09 PM
lol it is fugly as, but it does drive bloody good..

debbie
8th October 2007, 03:04 PM
omg I just got back now from looking at the peugeot 307cc convertible they are much roomier in the back seat and boot area its so confusing to decide which of them i like the better i now think its down to the astra and the peogeot the renault roof was to low oh well i,ll let yous all know which one I finally pick thanks for all your comments I,ve got to agree after looking back at the renault they arent a very attractive car after all,Debbie:D

luvpsi
8th October 2007, 03:22 PM
This is true, but IMO it and Megane arn't the best looking things around...

agree:) the megane cup is not a bad looking car though... its got that boy racer look to it;) the new astra twin-top is a very good looking and very sexy convertable (love the black colour ones:D )... wish they did a turbo version with 19" VXR rims...

USC
8th October 2007, 03:48 PM
agree:) the megane cup is not a bad looking car though... its got that boy racer look to it;) the new astra twin-top is a very good looking and very sexy convertable (love the black colour ones:D )... wish they did a turbo version with 19" VXR rims...

and VXR bumpers...as the front bumper on them dont look too hot with big wheels!!

Wraith
8th October 2007, 04:23 PM
Just wait for the turbo twin tops to arrive guys and you can do all those mods easily enough, would end up being the best looking AH done up like that ;)

Debbie the Pug 307CC is the better choice compared to a Megane ;)

I also like the new Pug 207CC, IMO it's a very attractive vehicle and would make both a zippy and efficient little runnabout with the 1.6ltr turbo engine option :)
Here's a couple of pics
http://i24.tinypic.com/1zznk7a.jpg

nice interior too :)
http://i20.tinypic.com/2j3l06x.jpg

Only real problem would be, it's a little too small....

btm
8th October 2007, 04:26 PM
don't mind that at all wraith... but after the troubles my old man had with his 306 cabriolet, i'd struggle to ever buy a Pug

bornwild
8th October 2007, 04:32 PM
French Cars = Tin Cans

luvpsi
8th October 2007, 04:44 PM
French Cars = Tin Cans

dont be so harsh mate... french cars are full of character:) anyone remember the days of 205 Gti? The french make some of the best handling cars in the world. When I was buying the astra, I was also looking at the Pug 206 GTI 180 which was an awesome little car, handles like its on rails, revs like a motorbike and looks good. The only reason i went for the astra was its bigger size (especially the boot) and a proper spare wheel (instead of 2 cans of puncture repair liquid in the Peugeot:confused: )...

Wraith
8th October 2007, 04:49 PM
Yes, we do have to give credit where credit is due......

The French (Renault) invented the turbo charger :)

bornwild
8th October 2007, 05:09 PM
Okay....correction where it's due

French Cars = (sometimes very good handling) Tin Cans

pred8r
10th October 2007, 08:40 PM
Like everything there are good and bad models in all brands;

Imagine if everyone judged holden based on the 4cyl Commodores and the Camira.

Dont forget GM have an EXTREMELY good marketing team.

USC
10th October 2007, 08:45 PM

GM/Holden is far from being the best... but Renault is a bit behind I think.

oneightoo
11th October 2007, 09:09 AM

the camira won wheels car of the year in 84' so i guess they'd have a pretty good opinion of holden :D